Capitalizt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
FINALLY, a PS3 price drop. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-The-Orange-Box/dp/B000PE0HBI

5139z9V6BuL._SS400_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh so tempting.....I may pass on this for now but a good deal for the amount of gaming you can get.

Saw The Orange Box (PS3) the other day at 29.xx. Still have some cash on my giftcard from the MGS4 bundle deal there, so may have to bite on that.

[quote name='Nibi']Did they patch this to eliminate some of the problems with frame rate and such?[/quote]

Yeah I want to know too! I kinda torn between the 360 and PS3 versions. On one hand, the single player on the 360 is best but on the other, the multiplayer on the PS3 is free. If the PS3 has a patch to fix its problems, then I would like to know about it.

I'm in, no question. The gaming value is great, as mentioned. The writing value's even better.

MGS4, GTAIV, Orange Box: Anyone who thinks stochastic multimedia isn't the art form that will ultimately replace film needs to look at titles like these.

Bought! My first real PS3 game purchase, not counting the copy of MGS4 that was bundled with my system.

Now if only Oblivion would drop a little more...

i saw it at a local walmart tonight for 29.98, if anyone feels like getting it earlier instead of waiting for it in the mail.

I got it at target for 13, it's a great deal. When I played online I didn't have any framerate issues or anything, and it was nice because it had EA dedicated servers (The 360 has to have hosts).

The only mark against is that Valve didn't have anything to do with the port, so it is possible that if they ever are able to do a console DLC of the weapon packs and new maps (Badlands, ctf_well, goldrush, etc) that it won't make it to the PS3. Or, that it will be up to the team who made the PS3 version to port it.

It's not the framerate that's the problem with this game. It's the online Team Fortress 2 that's the problem. The huge amount of glitches that people take advantage of without ea giving them DAS BOOT is rather irritating to say the least. The frame rate is rather solid. It's just online glitches that piss everyone off.

[quote name='vanlandw']http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51865

Yeah it looks like they have released a patch that cleared up a lot of issues so if your PS3 is internet connected you shouldn't have a problem buying this game. I'm still on the fence....[/QUOTE]
That's not the problem. The problem is w/ the horrible frame-rate of the PS3 version.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=89373

Get it on PC if you have a PC w/ a vid card from anywhere in the last 5 years. It runs well even on older hardware & looks better than either console version.

But if you have to get it on a console the 360 version is much better.

I wasn't able to ever have a smooth game of TF2 online on the PS3, as lag seemed to be permafixed at 1-2 seconds no matter which server I joined, and this was post-patch. Single player stuff was fine, although to be fair I only played Portal and HL2, and apparently most of the issues were with HL2:Ep1 and Ep2.

We are looking at having CAG TF2 games (I won't be participating since I don't have it, but I'm including the game now in CAG PSN Gaming), so if people want people to play with, they should definitely be able to find some at CAG to play hopefully.

Not a bad deal.
[quote name='TURBO']

But if you have to get it on a console the 360 version is much better.[/QUOTE]I look at it this way, if many friends are playing the PS3 version of TF2 online, then I'd say that's more appealing personally (but that's because it's what most of my friends have and I'd really like to play them).

[quote name='TURBO']That's not the problem. The problem is w/ the horrible frame-rate of the PS3 version.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=89373[/quote]

Sobering and saddening review, that -- enough so to compel me to cancel my order. I'll have to content myself with playing Portal on my laptop.

Gabe Newell is rather obnoxious about platforms he dislikes, but I do understand that his goal is the same as Microsoft's: he wants to create bullet-proof software that works on every reasonable hardware config. The caveat is that no one should deviate significantly from the basic architecture or Newell ceases to care about streamlining the experience: annoying but understandable.

The irony is that Valve has become more rigid about adopting Newell's approach than Microsoft itself.

(The upside is that Valve's content-privileging approach affords creativity the breathing room it deserves: it allowed Valve to discover, value and grant freedom to Portal's creators even while they were still driven college students.)

Its 26.99 used at gamestop, so after the 10% off used coupon and edge card, its close to 20 bucks :)...Although I am still going to wait for a 25% off coupon for ps3 before i pick it up

I have a 360, but I just like getting ps3 games more considering I play the most games on it, and it probably won't break down on me.

The problems don't seem nearly as bad as they make it out to be. After all I played the xbox version of HL2 and enjoyed it until suddenly the game told me I couldn't advance, it couldn't be as bad as that.

As for TF2, I'd rather have it free. I don't feel like paying for xbl just to play it.

Seems like the smart choice for me.

[quote name='MrXpress']I wasn't able to ever have a smooth game of TF2 online on the PS3, as lag seemed to be permafixed at 1-2 seconds no matter which server I joined, and this was post-patch. Single player stuff was fine, although to be fair I only played Portal and HL2, and apparently most of the issues were with HL2:Ep1 and Ep2.[/quote]

For the record, my roommates have played TF2 online a ton and had no problems whatsoever.

I know a few people who bought this for PS3 and they never said anything about big framerate drops in the HL games and told me they had no problems beating the games. Not sure if the patch fixed this or not all PS3's had this problem. Never got to test it for myself (would rather play these game on my old laptop) but if the PS3 version ever goes under $10, I'd be curious to see how big an issue this is.

[quote name='anumeric']i saw it at a local walmart tonight for 29.98, if anyone feels like getting it earlier instead of waiting for it in the mail.[/quote]

Yeah, I've been to four Wal-Marts now who have had it at $29.98. I think $30 might be almost universal, or will be sooner rather than later.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Bought! My first real PS3 game purchase, not counting the copy of MGS4 that was bundled with my system.

Now if only Oblivion would drop a little more...[/quote]

Try Blockbuster, cost me $20 for the original version. But I'd highly suggest going for the Game of The Year edition, at any price this game is great.

I'm very tempted, everywhere I hear most don't even have problems, hell other than the normally sensationalist game reviewers do I read any problems are large enough to hurt the overall value.

As soon as I begin to clear our out some games I think I'll bite for $30. By then it will probably under $30.

bread's done
Back