21 replies to this topic

#1 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

Grandia III - $19.99

http://www.gamestop....roduct_id=41930

Grandia Xtreme - $16.99

http://www.gamestop....roduct_id=19468

Nothing crazy, but Grandia III seems to have a decent secondary market. and its ~$20 shipped with cag16 and edge.
Posted Image

#2 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:54 PM

Interesting OP, thanks!

Is the Grandia series any good?
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#3 Hybrid5006

Hybrid5006

White Trash Ballin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

I ordered it a while back and guess what.

The genius that packed it only sent me the first disc!!! (it's a 2 disc game!!)!!!

(returned it later at B&M)

#4 VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla

Shark Barber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:16 PM

Gearing up for a Grandia IV announcement at E3 perhaps!?!?! Yeah, wishful thinking.
Posted Image

#5 VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla

Shark Barber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:17 PM

Interesting OP, thanks!

Is the Grandia series any good?

Second best battle system in RPG's (a close second to the Shadow Hearts series)
Posted Image

#6 tianxia

tianxia

Just won't shut up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

Yeah, the Grandia battle system is amazing. Can't say much for their hearing-impaired accessibility features, though.

#7 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:17 PM

I'm replaying Grandia I right now, my 3rd playthrough. Still a wonderful game, but the voice acting... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I might get Grandia III as I have the import, but not the domestic release. It's definitely the weakest of the 3 main series games, but it's not horrible by any stretch.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#8 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

I'm replaying Grandia I right now, my 3rd playthrough. Still a wonderful game, but the voice acting... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I might get Grandia III as I have the import, but not the domestic release. It's definitely the weakest of the 3 main series games, but it's not horrible by any stretch.

You mean you don't love Justin's high pitched, annoying kid voice?:lol: But man, that game was fantastic in every way.

None of the sequels were very good though besides the battle system. The only reason I kept on playing Grandia II and III was because how well the battle system worked. $20 is a good price for Grandia III though.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#9 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

I heard grandia xtreme was seriously lacking

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#10 Masterkyo

Masterkyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

grandia xtreme is not worth $17 in my book unless you're serious gamer. Grandia on DC or GC version is superior :)
"Evil is Funs"

#11 EXStrike

EXStrike

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:31 PM

grandia xtreme is not worth $17 in my book unless you're serious gamer. Grandia on DC or GC version is superior :)

What the Fuck?

#12 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

What the Fuck?

Easily worth the 15 dollars after edge and 10% off!

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#13 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:15 PM

There is no GC version. :wall:
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#14 escapekey

escapekey

I like the taste!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:47 PM

Grandia Xtreme is completely worth $17. It's built specifically to showcase the battle system. Of course, since you're playing the imaginary GameCube version of the game, I can hardly expect you to understand.
8 Bit Horse has way too much information about 2D games
See for yourself at http://www.8bithorse.com

#15 Xiemos

Xiemos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:10 AM

If you are buying any of these two games (which I proudly own anything that has Grandia slapped on) you are buying them for their battle systems, nothing more.

Grandia 3 has plot holes galore, predictable (and relatively short) story and cliche characters, but it gets the job done. The battle system is where this game shines most.

Grandia Xtreme is pretty much a dungeon crawler, with an extremely weak story and characters, but has the most refined battle system of all the Grandia titles IMO. The customization of your party is also pretty high (using the mana eggs) and gameplay can easily go over 50 hours.

Although I have both, and would gladly pay these prices if I didn't, I would say get Grandia Xtreme if you had to choose only one. Just make sure your expectations are low for anything but the Battles!

#16 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:13 AM

Grandia III's story was a disaster (the Japanese version was 3 discs, and the English translation left out the entire middle disc!), but the battle system was such a blast that I still powered through the game.

Seriously, the Grandia series has pretty much the best battle system of any J-RPG (IMHO, even better than the Shadow Hearts series), so $20 + discounts is basically a steal.

Shame it's a USED game from Gamestop, so there's no guarantee of the quality it'll be--I'd buy these in a heartbeat if I was guaranteed to get complete games...

#17 doodofdoods

doodofdoods

Prinny Powered

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:15 AM

Grandia Xtreme seems like a good fit for me right now. I could use a rpg that focuses more on the battle than on the story.

#18 tamno1

tamno1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:21 AM

Picked Grandia III up some time last year for 20 bones from gamefly.com. Perfect condition.

The game is not a big revolution nor evolution from its predecessors, but still fun to play nevertheless. My only complaint is the lack of finalization in story telling. I mean, you spend a damn good amount of time adventuring with your mom and the ship captain guy (forgot his name), and they leave you just like that somewhere in the middle of the game; and you never hear from them again. I was kinda hoping that they would somehow show up at near the end to rescue your ass and tell you about their adventures thus far. But Nooooo! Never saw them again. C'mon, man. It's Yuki's freaking mom. Doesn't he care where the hell she is???

#19 dcswirl

dcswirl

You'll Never Walk Alone

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:33 AM

All this Grandia talk has me thinking of breaking out my DC and playing it again!

#20 Capitalizt

Capitalizt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:36 AM

Sweet, I grabbed Grandia 3 along with Klonoa 2 for $25 shipped after CAG16 and SAVER codes ;)

Edited by Capitalizt, 09 July 2008 - 05:54 AM.

#21 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

(the Japanese version was 3 discs, and the English translation left out the entire middle disc!)

Wat? Details please.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#22 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

Grandia 2 is up on Gametap for those interested.