Grandia III $20, Grandia Xtreme $17 at Gamestop.com

I ordered it a while back and guess what.

The genius that packed it only sent me the first disc!!! (it's a 2 disc game!!)!!!

(returned it later at B&M)

[quote name='Pck21']Interesting OP, thanks!

Is the Grandia series any good?[/quote]Second best battle system in RPG's (a close second to the Shadow Hearts series)

Yeah, the Grandia battle system is amazing. Can't say much for their hearing-impaired accessibility features, though.

I'm replaying Grandia I right now, my 3rd playthrough. Still a wonderful game, but the voice acting... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I might get Grandia III as I have the import, but not the domestic release. It's definitely the weakest of the 3 main series games, but it's not horrible by any stretch.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm replaying Grandia I right now, my 3rd playthrough. Still a wonderful game, but the voice acting... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I might get Grandia III as I have the import, but not the domestic release. It's definitely the weakest of the 3 main series games, but it's not horrible by any stretch.[/QUOTE]

You mean you don't love Justin's high pitched, annoying kid voice?:lol: But man, that game was fantastic in every way.

None of the sequels were very good though besides the battle system. The only reason I kept on playing Grandia II and III was because how well the battle system worked. $20 is a good price for Grandia III though.

[quote name='Masterkyo']grandia xtreme is not worth $17 in my book unless you're serious gamer. Grandia on DC or GC version is superior :)[/quote]

What the fuck?

[quote name='Masterkyo']grandia xtreme is not worth $17 in my book unless you're serious gamer. Grandia on DC or GC version is superior :)[/QUOTE]

There is no GC version. :wall:

[quote name='Masterkyo']grandia xtreme is not worth $17 in my book unless you're serious gamer. Grandia on DC or GC version is superior :)[/QUOTE]

Grandia Xtreme is completely worth $17. It's built specifically to showcase the battle system. Of course, since you're playing the imaginary GameCube version of the game, I can hardly expect you to understand.

If you are buying any of these two games (which I proudly own anything that has Grandia slapped on) you are buying them for their battle systems, nothing more.

Grandia 3 has plot holes galore, predictable (and relatively short) story and cliche characters, but it gets the job done. The battle system is where this game shines most.

Grandia Xtreme is pretty much a dungeon crawler, with an extremely weak story and characters, but has the most refined battle system of all the Grandia titles IMO. The customization of your party is also pretty high (using the mana eggs) and gameplay can easily go over 50 hours.

Although I have both, and would gladly pay these prices if I didn't, I would say get Grandia Xtreme if you had to choose only one. Just make sure your expectations are low for anything but the Battles!

Grandia III's story was a disaster (the Japanese version was 3 discs, and the English translation left out the entire middle disc!), but the battle system was such a blast that I still powered through the game.

Seriously, the Grandia series has pretty much the best battle system of any J-RPG (IMHO, even better than the Shadow Hearts series), so $20 + discounts is basically a steal.

Shame it's a USED game from Gamestop, so there's no guarantee of the quality it'll be--I'd buy these in a heartbeat if I was guaranteed to get complete games...

Picked Grandia III up some time last year for 20 bones from gamefly.com. Perfect condition.

The game is not a big revolution nor evolution from its predecessors, but still fun to play nevertheless. My only complaint is the lack of finalization in story telling. I mean, you spend a damn good amount of time adventuring with your mom and the ship captain guy (forgot his name), and they leave you just like that somewhere in the middle of the game; and you never hear from them again. I was kinda hoping that they would somehow show up at near the end to rescue your ass and tell you about their adventures thus far. But Nooooo! Never saw them again. C'mon, man. It's Yuki's freaking mom. Doesn't he care where the hell she is???

Sweet, I grabbed Grandia 3 along with Klonoa 2 for $25 shipped after CAG16 and SAVER codes ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AwRy108'](the Japanese version was 3 discs, and the English translation left out the entire middle disc!)
[/QUOTE]

Wat? Details please.

bread's done
Back