Patapon 2 - Download Only, No UMD Release

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#151 metaly

metaly

In the world, only this island is.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:00 AM

Hehe I wonder how many Gamestop employees have let people return the game.

#152 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

Hehe I wonder how many Gamestop employees have let people return the game.

now that's something I'd be curious about.

#153 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:24 AM

I could see your point if Patapon 2 wasn't a great value for $20.

You scoff at the price point because it's being sold at retail but ignore the possibility of sales like any disc-based game that is sold in a store.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#154 punkmaggit

punkmaggit

Masashi Hamauzu > you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

In a world where I can get retail games like those for at most $20, a $20 downloaded game doesn't stand a chance.

QFMFT. :applause:

#155 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

QFMFT. :applause:

Tell that to GT Prologue and Socom sales. $39.99 is absured for a DD game even by my standards, yet sales were good.

#156 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:25 AM

North America: 1. Patapon 2 (SCEA), 2. God of War: Chains of Olympus (SCEA), 3. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix), 4. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Rockstar), 5. Sega Genesis Collection (Sega).

What a beefy game outselling all those old ones! I'm guessing it sold around 7k+ not bad for a DD game. Making my guesstimate from VGChartz which is always off but PSP games don't sell too well in general. GOW and CC are gonna selll well for awhile with the newer price drops, but Sega Genesis Collection really baffles me. Surprised Sega didn't make a ultimate sonic collection on 2 umds ;)

Edited: I forgot that was only a weeks worth of sales so I edited.

#157 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

Fuck that. I don't see why DD needs to get so much hate.

As a delivery method, I don't think most of us hate it...when we have an option. Additionally, to price it the exact same as a phsyical copy is pathetic. They've saved money on the packaging and retailers have saved on inventory and warehouse space, so why should it still cost the same as a UMD game?

Also, why "test" this out only in the US? And why do it with such a popular sequel? Try it with the first game, or more of a niche game than one of the top ten games on the entire platform.

Maybe Metal Gear Solid 5 should be download only for the PS3, and Gears of War 3 should be only delivered over XBL. That wouldn't ruffle any feathers :|

I'm just pissed because I really looked forward to this game, I like to collect games, and I don't feel like always having to have memory card space so I can play it, so I'm going to play the demo, and not buy the game to vote with my dollars. Fine if the next PSP is going to be UMD-less, people can know that going in, but don't fart around with your business model near the end of the product's lifecycle.

That's the source of the hate from me.

#158 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

I highly doubt Patapon or its sequel are anywhere close to being in the Top 10 for best-selling PSP games, so this is the perfect, niche test case that you said should be used.

#159 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:33 PM

I highly doubt Patapon or its sequel are anywhere close to being in the Top 10 for best-selling PSP games, so this is the perfect, niche test case that you said should be used.

Didn't mean in terms of sales numbers, but critical acclaim. Besides, lets face it...in North America, what PSP game has sold amazingly well with or without a UMD? :D

...and I'm proven insanely wrong. Amazingly Patapon only got an 86 on metacritic, and Patapon 2 is currently at an 82. Who the hell is reviewing these games so low? Frickin asshats!

#160 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

Not even by review scores, but the first game is up there while the second is somehow getting worse scores. It's not exactly a game that everyone will love.

I imagine that the well-known brands sell well, like GTA, Midnight Club, God of War, etc., while those that are well-made just for the PSP (Loco Roco, Patapon, Crush) do decently.

#161 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:18 AM

16.99 at Target Price Cut, bit on it today, yay
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#162 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

Can someone explain to me how the save file for the first game (or the demo for 2) factors into the new game?

Additionally- do i have to have that data on my system when I start playing 2? I heard there is a special item if I bet the demo, and i'll go play the demo if it can be updated into my save file..

#163 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:23 AM

You can play the demo with your Patapon 1 save file to carry over your name and some of the items, as well.

#164 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, I recommend it since it'll save time from having to farm items.

I beat this thing a while ago, but I'm still finding new things... I just unlocked the alchemist brothers without even trying to >_<

#165 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

If i already have a save file for 2, it's too late to play 1 or the demo though right?

#166 xbox_mole

xbox_mole

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

If i already have a save file for 2, it's too late to play 1 or the demo though right?

It shouldn't be 1 and 2 were two different releases so I wouldn't think it would matter.

#167 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

What i'm saying is- does the Patapon 2 file actively look for stuff it hasn't pillaged from the Patapon1 file? Or is it a one-time check when the game starts?

#168 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

You can only import it when you start a new game in Patapon 2 or the demo.

#169 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

WTF? I just spent like 30 minutes trying to beat the first canon (on the level with the 3 canons) and I got so frustrated I turned it off. I'm not far into the game at all!

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#170 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

It's a training level for learning how to attack and defend. I wasn't a fan of it either, so I stuck to the obstacle course level that I think came earlier.

#171 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

I was powering along- but now i'm stuck at the big cloud/storm guy..

Any tips?

#172 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

So is it beatable or does it go on forever? My patapon archer dude kept dying and coming back to life which I thought was odd...

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#173 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:22 PM

You can can beat him by just attacking and defending well enough to end the session, though they will ramp it up for the next time that you try it out. I wouldn't recommend it without a full crew (three groups of six and the hero patapon) since that would likely take longer.

#174 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:19 AM

Just picked this up today for $4.98 from Target. Can I download this from my PS3, then copy it over to the PSP, or do I need to put in the code via my PSP's PSN store?

#175 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:27 AM

Just picked this up today for $4.98 from Target. Can I download this from my PS3, then copy it over to the PSP, or do I need to put in the code via my PSP's PSN store?

PS3 works. In fact I recommend doing it that way. That's how I do it so I always have a backup if anything.

#176 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:27 AM

Either way would work fine. You could even use the PC program to do that, too, so it's up to you.