HL2: The Orange Box (PS3) $29.99 NEW/$26.99 USED at GS/EB B&M

RiCeBo1

CAGiversary!
Price dropped on the PS3 version today, new at $29.99 and used at $26.99

Good for people not wanting to wait for Amazon to ship their copy

Last edited by a moderator:
Great price. wonder whether the 360 version will go down too. I would be more than happy to have orange box in my collection for less than $20 after the coupon.

i needed somethin to spend some of my credit on and to build my ps3 library (currently at a whopping 2 games). hopefully we get a ps3 coupon this week or b2g1. any pro's or con's of getting the ps3 version over the 360? besides the fact that ps3 online sucks nuts and everyone is anti social

The xbox 360 version is the one to get.

From Ign.com

Unfortunately, our complaints don't stop there. The remainder of our criticisms are to blame for the discrepancy in scores between the PlayStation 3 version of the game and the 360 version (the PS3 version, after all, wasn't handled entirely by Valve). The PlayStation 3 Orange Box performs far worse, and this fact just isn't up for debate. While framerate issues aren't as problematic in Half-Life 2 and Episode One, Episode Two suffers a great deal, especially during the episode's larger battles. We regret to say that some sections border on being unplayable because of the stutters, which often cause your aim to be thrown off and timing shots to be very difficult. The problem isn't persistent throughout, but when it hits, it hits hard.

More troubling still is the difference in load times. Almost all the PS3 load times are at least five seconds more than the 360, but loading a saved game/loading after death is particularly awful. These clock in at about two to three times as long as the 360 version, which slows down the gameplay considerably. Even though the PS3 Orange Box sports a quicksave feature, any benefit of this option is lost considering the overall abundance of loading.

And it keeps going

Even in Portal, a short title that often requires a little trial and error, this problem is massive. The 360 version takes about three seconds to load your last checkpoint if you die. The PS3 version takes seventeen. It hurts.

We must also mention that during all of our Team Fortress 2 play sessions, there was a very startling delay when using explosive weapons like the Soldier's rocket launcher or the Demoman's grenade launcher. When you pull the trigger to fire, there's a very brief but noticeable delay between the recoil of the weapon and the actual delivery of the explosive. This can seriously screw up your timing when trying to lead a rocket shot, or similar attacks.

Furthermore, a few of our play sessions were laden with so much lag that they became completely unplayable. We were told that this was the result of a European server being used accidentally, as opposed to a US one which will be up and running when the retail version hits shelves, but be wary that this problem may pop up again.

Less dire but perhaps more puzzling is the difference in color throughout the games. While this may just be a result of using our particular monitors, the PS3 version seems darker than its 360 counterpart. The difference is slight and, again, could be an isolated incident, but it's worth noting nonetheless.

It's been patched, and I actually did play the OB for the PS3, and there wasn't even a hint of framerate drop after the patch (NOTE: I did not play the OB for the PS3 before the patch).

IGN also complained about non-existant 30 second load times in Odin Sphere. They're usually playing non-final code which differs from the game you buy in the store.

Is this an instore deal? I say this because I saw that the orange box was $29.99 on the website and when I went to buy it for PC, they were giving me all this bullshit that it was a special or something. Beware guys. Either way fantastic deal because Portal and TF2 is worth $30 alone.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Is this an instore deal? I say this because I saw that the orange box was $29.99 on the website and when I went to buy it for PC, they were giving me all this bullshit that it was a special or something. Beware guys. Either way fantastic deal because Portal and TF2 is worth $30 alone.[/QUOTE]

In-store as well, prices dropped on Tuesday

Normally I would complain since I just bought the Orange Box last week for the 360, but I was able to get it for $22 thanks to the 25% off coupon.

bread's done
Back