Yet another "I'm going to Japan" thread

Strell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
288 (100%)
Greetings CAG brethren.

Leaving for a two week trip on Wednesday to Tokyo, and then ultimately to Fukuoka. I have a cousin I'll be staying with who lives there initially, and then at best friend's house. The primary reason for going is my best friend's wedding, but there's also a lot of touristy/sight seeing nonsense to be had (as this is also something of a late, late graduation gift/trip).

So give me suggestions if you got 'em. Where to go, what to look at, what to eat. Hopefully panties-in-a-can is not the answer to these questions.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Swing by Kyoto, if you can. It's beautiful.[/QUOTE]

If he's going to Fukuoka from Tokyo, he'll be passing through, but that would be a costly stopover.

You'll probably want to check out Akihabara in Tokyo. That should keep you busy for at least a full day. I'd also recommend Asakusa if you'd like to check out Tokyo's oldest (and best, in my opinion) Buddhist temple. It's an amazing sight.

Fukuoka is my favorite city in all of Japan, and also home to the best ramen in the world. Check out Canal City, the coolest shopping mall ever conceived, and if you can, set aside a day to travel to Nagasaki (about two hours by train from Hakata station) to check out Dejima Harbor and the Atomic Bomb Museum and Peace Park.

Sink it with all the fury you can muster.

Japan has consumed several of my friends due to J.E.T. and I am now holding a grudge.

Yes, against an entire COUNTRY.

If you're going to Fukuoka, go to a bar called The Happy Cock. (Go on the weekend when it's busy)

It's $30, all you can drink. It's a fun time.

Gas Panic in Ropongi is the place for foreigners (so I've heard).

Super Potato in Akiba is a MUST! So is Yodobashi Camera.

And if you can get ahold of Cheapy, find out where the all you can eat Shabu Shabu restaurant in Japan is. That fucking place rocked! I have a feeling the owners were trembling when Cheapy and I walked in. :D

[quote name='Liquid 2']Swing by Kyoto, if you can. It's beautiful.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes. The anagram lover's Tokyo!

Reality's Fringe;4640898]Sink it with all the fury you can muster.[/quote] Whoa! This is a family website! [quote name='Nephlabobo']If you're going to Fukuoka said:
Gas Panic in Ropongi is the place for foreigners (so I've heard).

Super Potato in Akiba is a MUST! So is Yodobashi Camera.

And if you can get ahold of Cheapy, find out where the all you can eat Shabu Shabu restaurant in Japan is. That fucking place rocked! I have a feeling the owners were trembling when Cheapy and I walked in. :D

Cousin's place is in Roppongi, so I'll ask him about GP.

I'm slowly compiling a list. Keep'em coming, people! :]

I actually just got back a few days ago from my trip to Japan. Probably the best vacation ever.

Someone mentioned Super Potato in Akihabara. I happened to stumble in there and it was probably one of the highlights of Akihabara. So much stuff plus a relatively empty classic arcade on the top flood.

I also liked the Taito Arcade since it seems a lot less "hardcore" the Club Sega. It was mostly quiet with alot of other assorted games compared to Sega which was mostly Tekken and Guilty Gear.

I made time for Tokyo Tower my last night there and it was so worth it. Awesome view for 800 yen and then an even better view for 600 more yen. I know they catch you twice but its just one of those things you gotta do.

As much as I liked Tokyo, I can't decide if I like Kyoto more or not. I was able to spend a few days there and walked almost the entire thing (at least according to my walking map) and there was some cool stuff down by Gion and in the other districts.

Karaoke was really fun in Kyoto too. We went with a group of probably 10 or so and it made for a good few hours. Got lost after a late night in Kyoto and spent a few hours wondering around looking for the hotel (forgot the trusty walking map), but it was a real nice place even randomly walking around at 2:30 am.

I'm thinking about maybe doing the English teaching over that at some point, but I think I would take a great deal of crap from my family after spending so much money and some much time to just graduate 2 months ago with a chemical engineering degree. But who knows what will happen.

[quote name='Dokstarr']As much as I liked Tokyo, I can't decide if I like Kyoto more or not. I was able to spend a few days there and walked almost the entire thing (at least according to my walking map) and there was some cool stuff down by Gion and in the other districts.[/QUOTE]

Did you visit during Gion Matsuri, by chance? It was crazy-awesome!!

Have a blast man. I loved this one little bar in Ginza called 300 bar. Every and any drink is 300 yen, as well as the appetizers there. It's a standing bar only, but it's a lot of fun.
http://www.300bar.com/english/

If you see Yukari there, tell her Sean says hi from Arizona, haha.

Also, you should try to visit an onsen or sento. I regret not going to one during my week stay in Tokyo.

Check out the top of Sunshine City in Ikebukuro. You can take an elevator to the 60th story and get some great views. I think it costs about 700 yen to do that, and it was worth it both times I went. Go up at night for some breathtaking cityscapes and great photo ops with all the lights on the buildings. I think there's better views from some places in Roppongi, but I never made my way over there.

Next door to Sunshine City is Ikebukuro's flagship Tokyu Hands store. On the 6th story, you can go to Nekobukuro, which is a small cat petting zoo. I think access is also about 700 yen. Regardless, Tokyu Hands is a fun store you should check out.

Try your hand at Pachinko and watch your money go bye-bye. I didn't have much luck with the Eva machines.

If you see another foreigner (gaiKOKUjin, don't use gaijin, it makes us look even worse!) and they ask you how to get somewhere on the JR train line, tell them to just take the "Yamanote Line and get off at the last stop!" (If you don't understand it, the Yamanote Line just goes a huge loop in the middle of Tokyo and never really has a terminating point. A very horrible thing to do to a fellow gaikokujin, hahaha!)

Exit the JR station at Shibuya and check out the crazy 6-way intersection, one of the world's busiest crossings. I'm sure you've seen it in Lost in Translation and countless other movies. Give Hachiko a pat on the back for me!

Eat a delicious crepe at one of the many stands in Shinjuku. I had the strawberry cheesecake one and it was soooooooo good! Also, shabu-shabu anywhere is a MUST! Look it up if you need to. I went to the one inside Sunshine City near Namjatown.

Also, drink some Chu-Hai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C5%ABhai) for me at each train stop. It isn't very potent, but it sure is fun to drink one at nearly every station and get wasted off of 5 or 6 of em. I like the Ume (Plum) one the most probably.

Hmmm, what else ... I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but there's just so much to do. I haven't been to Fukuoka, but my friend's wife is from there and I'd love to visit there someday. As someone previously said, they're the ramen capital of Japan, so you gotta get some there for sure!

This is the book I found most useful for sight seeing. Definitely try to pick this up before you leave.

http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Planet-Tokyo-Encounter-Yanagihara/dp/1740595580

Also, try to pick up a small translation book as well. I found this small one extremely useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Japanes...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216640357&sr=1-1

Oh, and this is the ONE THING YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST TAKE WITH YOU BEFORE GOING TO JAPAN. Take a small pocket compass! TRUST ME, it will come in very handy when you're trying to navigate Japan on foot and you're using a map. I was so disoriented before I bought one over there.

Also make sure to make copies of your passport and US ID, and put them with your luggage/carryon, in case you lose your real passport. It might help to print out some of our suggestions from here, because when you're over there, I guarantee you won't remember everything we suggest! :)

I'm jealous man, have a blast! I definitely cannot wait to apply for the J.E.T. programme after I graduate this year.

Edit 1:

Ahhh! I forgot! Go to Asakusa for a little more relaxed part of Tokyo. Check out the Senso-ji Temple.

Also check out the Tokyo Amusement Dome for a lil' theme park fun!

It's a bit rainy when I went last month, so check the weather before leaving and pack a light jacket to keep the water off of you. I'd suggest buying a cheap umbrella over there instead of taking one with you. Gotta keep some space in your luggage for bringing stuff back, right?!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dokstarr']
I'm thinking about maybe doing the English teaching over that at some point, but I think I would take a great deal of crap from my family after spending so much money and some much time to just graduate 2 months ago with a chemical engineering degree. But who knows what will happen.[/quote]

I'm right there with you brotha! But hey, you gotta do what you love, right? Life leads people down mysterious paths.

Say hi to my friend in Fukuyama. She's shy though.
Actually, she's completely out of your way. :(

Have fun, sounds like a great vacation.

GO EAT RAMEN. It's the first thing I do eveytime I go. Are you with anyone who knows Japanese? If not it may be difficult to order, but hopefully they have pictures. Also try one of those conveyor-belt Sushi joints. They're always a lot of fun.

And I say this in every "Going to Japan" thread but go to "Book Off" if you see one. They're usually easy to find. They sell a bunch of used/cheap games, if that's your cup-o-tea.

When your in Akihabara, try to swing my @homecafe. Trust me you'll have the most awkward fun.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot my most useful word while there...Sumimasen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tsukiji fish market is alot of fun, and free! Also check out the Sony store if your ever in Ginza, oh and the soup stock is also in Ginza best soup ever!

Have an awesome time! We're going for 2 weeks in October, and we'll definitely take some of the suggestions in this thread.

[quote name='theHeat']I'm right there with you brotha! But hey, you gotta do what you love, right? Life leads people down mysterious paths.[/quote]

That's enough convinving for me. I'm off..... joking... at least for now.

I've also started drinking Coke Zero since I've gotten back since Coke Zero is everywhere and Diet Coke is nowhere.

Sushi conveyor belt places are fun too. Stopped by two of them. One in Tokyo and one in Kamakura.

I also recommend the maid cafes just to make you feel very awkward and little creepy. I went to one that explicitly had a sign that side "Foreign Traveler. I want to express a hearty welcome to you."

Well all, thanks for the suggestions and comments! We're about to head over to the airport. Flight boards 4 hours from now, and I should be arriving at a little after 2 PM Thursday in Tokyo at Narita.

I've got a laptop with me and will keep posting in this thread.

Thanks again!

Get me one of these Pac-Mangs and I'll forever be in your debt.

pacmanufo.jpg

[quote name='zewone']Get me one of these Pac-Mangs and I'll forever be in your debt.

pacmanufo.jpg
[/quote]
You ever notice how his eyes are actually little black pac men?

Japan vs. America: Round 1

I have 30 wifi networks to leech off here. That's more than my entire state.

Japan: 1
USA: 0

If only some technology could be developed where one terminal could utilize all connections and cluster them together to get 50 gb/s.

I am here to report that last night while walking around, I saw a lesbian bar named "Nom nom."

I wish my camera's battery hadn't run out earlier in the day.

[quote name='Strell']I am here to report that last night while walking around, I saw a lesbian bar named "Nom nom."

I wish my camera's battery hadn't run out earlier in the day.[/quote]

get that camera working so you can take some pics of the delicious Ramen!

How did all these $$$$az get good at SFIV so quick?

The game just came out you bastards! Did someone forget to tell you that?

Also if anyone can tell me where to find Namco related gashapon, I'd appreciate it. Also artbooks, since I'm looking for the Metal Gear Solid 1.5 artbook by Shinkawa. I keep running into guides, which in and of themselves are marvelous (like damn dictionaries), but I'd prefer artbooks.

One more day in Tokyo, then I ride the train to Fukuoka, and then come back for another day before I ultimately fly back home.

I am indeed having a great time. Vacation of eternity is going on right here, basically. Have seen lots of amazing sights, learned a lot about the culture in general, and picked up a good array of fun prizes.

I'm over in Fukuoka now in a a huge hotel next to Tokyo Stadium. Finally had a bowl of ramen and it was indeed quite good. You get a nice, filling meal for about six and a half bucks.

Hopefully I'll check out Canal City (I think it is called that...I believe Rei no Otaku mentioned it on the first page) tomorrow.

But I can't find any DS paddles. :/ I looked all over Akihabara and in other places and no one seems to have 'em. Oh well.

Great good, great people, great stuff to see. Just an entirely different world in terms of how one views themself here versus over in the states. But that's another story entirely.

About to head out for the night. This is the leg of my trip where I'm with friends (as opposed to my cousin in Tokyo), so good times are here indeed.

bread's done
Back