XBLA - Galaga Legions - 800pts

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

Features

The original Galaga captivated players all over the world, and now ... it's back with Galaga Legions! But this isn't just a boring remake! Featuring table-turning game dynamics, super-slick visuals, and mind-blowingly vast waves of enemies, this is the definitive version of the arcade shooter classic!

• Classic Galaga action redefined: Galaga, the classic top-down arcade shooter released by Namco in 1981, is many fans' favorite arcade game of all time. Now, completely updated and revitalized, Galaga Legions bursts onto the scene with new game dynamics and spectacular graphics.
  • Achievements: New achievements are offered for you to conquer. Show the world your old-school Galaga skills are new school enough to beat them!

Achievements: http://www.achieve360points.com/game/galagalegions/

From the same team that brought us Pac-Man C.E., here's hoping it turns out as good and as much fun as Pac-Man C.E. is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't look like Galaga. Looks like a western version of your typical japanese SH'M'UP. Not that that couldn't be kind of cool. We'll see.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']From the same team that brought us Pac-Man C.E., here's hoping it turns out as good and as much fun as Pac-Man C.E. is.[/QUOTE]

This is the only reason I'm even interested in this!

It has been said by many writers that this game does for Galaga what Pac-Man Championship Edition did for Pac-Man. Here's hoping their analysis is accurate, as I didn't like Pac-Man until Pac-Man C.E, and don't particularly enjoy Galaga.

[quote name='chasemurata']It has been said by many writers that this game does for Galaga what Pac-Man Championship Edition did for Pac-Man. Here's hoping their analysis is accurate, as I didn't like Pac-Man until Pac-Man C.E, and don't particularly enjoy Galaga.[/QUOTE]

Well that's good to hear! I guess we'll find out for ourselves in a few weeks.

I'm not a Galaga fan at all, but I never was a fan of Pac-Man...it was fun every now and then, but Pac-Man C.E. was a beast, I was hooked until I got 200pts :D. If only they had MP, I'd probably still play it.

[quote name='Danimal']One week after Bionic Commando. I need to get some more MS points.[/quote]

Braid, Bionic Commando, and Galaga Legions. Looks like I should have skipped Ticket to Ride. If only I knew that these games would be out so soon.

*scurries off to get more points*

man I can't wait for this to come out.

As for games that would be nice with a modern update:
Q-Bert
Zoo Keeper
Burgertime
Pitfall (think of the way they did the arcade version of PoP)
Joust (with actual fight mechanics)

[quote name='chasemurata']For those also still waiting for a demo, here's a video of its Scramble gameplay.

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/20105

It looks very psychedelic.

What game will next receive a modern update? Centipede? Perhaps an Alice in Wonderland themed Centipede? :drool:[/QUOTE]

Great Video clip thanks. I am really looking forward to picking this up on Wednesday.
This has been the greatest month of XBL arcade games ever. I have really enjoyed every game I bought and I have not even tried Bionic Commando yet.

I love me some Pac Man: CE so I'm down for this. I was never a fan of Galaga though. Here's hoping lightning strikes twice for the dev team.

After watching that video I am sold on it. I have 800pts and was thinking about finishing off the Invincible movies, but this is a must have for me now.

Of all the XBLA games this month, this is the one I've most looked forward to. I can't wait for Wednesday.

I dunno, it doesn't look to stand out too much to me any more than something like Triggerheart Exelica or the various other 'bland' shooters on XBLA. I'll give the demo a whirl - but that's just not enough footage to have me sold yet...think sticking to PC shmups like the TouHou titles or Kamui might be the better option.

[quote name='bigdsinferno']the video looked good but it looks like you have to button mash instead of holding down the button to shoot.[/quote]

Actually, that's been addressed. The default mode for the game is automatic shooting. This way, you only have to worry about positioning duties. Hence, in the default mode, there isn't even a shoot button. However, you can select a "manual" mode, which allows you to pull the right trigger in order to shoot.

The game also has a "Classic" graphics mode, that makes the ships appear just like their own pixely selves. Doesn't seem to change the backgrounds though, just the ships.

As a fan of original Galaga (if I see the machine, it gets a few quarters!), I'm looking forward to this, not as much as many other games this month, but I still welcome it. This is a good, simple game to play before the possible time-drain that will be Castle Crashers (depending on how complex their unlocking methods are...)!!

[quote name='Megaten']I dunno, it doesn't look to stand out too much to me any more than something like Triggerheart Exelica or the various other 'bland' shooters on XBLA.[/quote]

You know, I rather like Triggerheart. I find myself playing it more than Ikaruga, since THE feels.... fun and challenging, but Ikaruga just feels like an amazing amount of memorization and planning. THE and Omega Five are probably my most played "Just to have fun and relax" games in the arcade...

Last edited by a moderator:
If this was really made by the Pac-Man CE team then I think it has a pretty high chance of being awesome. Can't wait to try the demo.

Just picked this up about 20 minutes ago or so, and after completing the first level, I think it's AWESOME! :) They kept the feel of the old game but added a whole new dynamic to it...! ;) Definitely worth the 800 pts and another casual game to jump into when I have some free time!! YAY!

[quote name='JDUB X']This game is the very definition of awesome![/quote]

[quote name='Shan82']Just picked this up about 20 minutes ago or so, and after completing the first level, I think it's AWESOME! :) They kept the feel of the old game but added a whole new dynamic to it...! ;) Definitely worth the 800 pts and another casual game to jump into when I have some free time!! YAY![/quote]

I have to agree with you both ^_^ I went ahead and purchased it as well. It's got a nice mix of "memory work" and "by the skin of your teeth action" to it. The Tutorial and Demonstration in the free Demo do a good job showing one how to play the game, and how to get out of tight situations.

I'm hoping each stage you clear earns you new skins for the game; they're a great idea! I love playing with the classic Galaga designs.

Man, some of the enemy patters are truly awe-inspiring; When you see 100s of enemies spiraling around you, with no slowdown or any of the old tell-tale effects of so much activity, it really does feel like an evolution.

I feel the enemy patterns are tightly made, and have a nice flow to them. It doesn't feel like a cheap cash-in at all, to me. It feels like well plotted, refined gameplay.

The game is completely different from the original, yet still fun. I, a young male, find this game very enticing, energetic, and enjoyable, but I feel that by father has been sort of betrayed. This, and Pilotwings 64, were the only two games that he ever enjoyed playing (and he was damn good at Pilotwings when it came out). This game is too fast and too "much", as he would say, for him. Regardless, I'm going to buy this.

Bought it, and I'm pretty impressed with it. I'm not very impressed with my skill level in the game, though. Between this and Geometry Wars 2, I think I'm starting to develop an inferiority complex.

Danimal,

Play shooters, that's going to happen. The bad part is, you can get in the top thousand in scores, and you still feel like your inferior. It's part of the "love" of the shooter, it's an abusive relationship

I tried the demo with high hopes and love for the original but I feel a bit let down. I don't get the sense of evasion and tension that was part of the original. It's like I'm just mowing down wave after wave. At this point, I'm sitting on the fence on whether I'm going to buy it. I'm disappointed by this where as before playing the demo, I felt like it would be a no-brainer for me.

my 360 really needs to get here sometime soon. Not being able to play GW2, BC:R and this on my own console is bugging the shit out of me

Seems cool, one question sorta-not-really-related though:

I remember trying the Pacman CE demo and there was rumble that went along with the music. But, now when I try the demo it isn't there anymore. Why is this? I've tried redownloading it to no luck. I'm assuming the full game has rumble?

Can't wait to go home and try this. :[[quote name='fart_bubble']my 360 really needs to get here sometime soon. Not being able to play GW2, BC:R and this on my own console is bugging the shit out of me[/quote]

You're gonna red ring your 360 with all the goodness you've missed out on, hahaha.

[quote name='tiredfornow']You're gonna red ring your 360 with all the goodness you've missed out on, hahaha.[/QUOTE]

it had already died from the awesomeness of GW2. Had that shit for 2 days and the fucking system went kaput on me

I tried the demo... I came away disappointed. I was expecting a the same treatment that Pac-Man: CE received but instead I got a random shmup with Galaga pasted on it. I will buy 1942: Joint Strike instead for my modernized classic shmup fix since this one isn't for me.

[quote name='spoo']I tried the demo... I came away disappointed. I was expecting a the same treatment that Pac-Man: CE received but instead I got a random shmup with Galaga pasted on it. I will buy 1942: Joint Strike instead for my modernized classic shmup fix since this one isn't for me.[/quote]

That's about how I feel but I might wait for Shred Nebula instead.

This game is wicked. Innovative gameplay, perfect controls, addicting. It's a perfect update to the series and shows that the Pac-Man CE team is one of the best game developers out there right now. Period.

Best game to come out on XBLA since Ikaruga, and frankly it's probably even better than that.

I'm actually surprised. I normally hate shmups but this is actually pretty good. I won't be buying it seeing I won't really play it at all, but a shmup that's actually fun for me is rare.

I normally love shmups, but didn't think this was fun at all. I was really looking forward to it too, so I'm pretty disappointed :(

bread's done
Back