I hate GC game cases...

Allnatural

CAGiversary!
Absolutely hate them, especially the double-disc cases. I have two games (that I know of) that have large chips in the polycarbonate around the center of the disc.

Yes, they still work (cry me a river, blah, blah), but I imagine things will only get worse. I don't know why Nintendo didn't use a case with a press-and-release type hub. You know, like damn near every other company out there...

Hmm. I personally love them. I've had far more problems with other types of hub designs and none whatsoever (to date) with GC cases. This includes a whole slew of used games I've bought from the recent GS coupon sales. I figure if they can pass through GS hell they're sturdy enough for me.

[quote name='theflicker']Hmm. I personally love them. I've had far more problems with other types of hub designs and none whatsoever (to date) with GC cases. This includes a whole slew of used games I've bought from the recent GS coupon sales. I figure if they can pass through GS hell they're sturdy enough for me.[/quote]
I'll give you that they hold securely (never bought a "floater" for the GC), but I cringe every time I remove a disc. That *crack* as they come loose is like nails on a chalkboard.

They are flawed. A small bump and the disk is knocked off the hinge easily, I have had so many loose games (sealed) via mail...Gladly, only one has been scratched up due to the moving around inside the case.

[quote name='Allnatural']Absolutely hate them, especially the double-disc cases. I have two games (that I know of) that have large chips in the polycarbonate around the center of the disc.

Yes, they still work (cry me a river, blah, blah), but I imagine things will only get worse. I don't know why Nintendo didn't use a case with a press-and-release type hub. You know, like damn near every other company out there...[/quote]
Nintendo likes to be "different".
The cases are plastic, not polycarbonate. That stuff is unbreakable!
I know what you're saying though. Not exactly a good design though.

yeah terrible design, gamecube is the only system that i have had a disc with a cracked inner ring, to where it wouldn't actually play. and it was smash melee. damn you nintendo

I hate the spindle the disc is held on. I remember NBA Street V3 was on clearance and they were all in a bin, I think there were 10 or so copies. I had to pick up and shake like 6 cases until I found with with the disc still on the spindle. During the last price drop on GCN games at CC this past Spring, it seemed like over half the games had loose discs.

[quote name='Josef']I hate how the bottom of the case has that little square hole in it...[/quote]

It's so that if the disc farts, it doesn't choke and die.

Actually, that little hole seems to make getting the shrink wrap off much easier for me.

So do I, it is ridiculous. I can't understand why they did this when they made the spindle inside the GC so gentle on discs- unlike the POS slim PS2.

Minus 10 games, I have every GC game made in the US. If you're not a retard, the games come right out. If you are a retard, then you're probably pulling predominantly a particular side. The discs are small, so you need to put force on the nub; downward, then use your 4 fingers, minus your pinky, to pull straight up. Seriously, if people can't handle that without damaging either component, they should only be allowed on Sega Genesis.

I agree. Japanese cases rock. They're so small, and reflect what the GC is all about. Small yet powerful. WTF didn't use these over here? Then again the GBA boxes were pretty big.

I hate GC cases also, but not so much because of the spindle, as because of the way the fucking square holes on the corners of the box itself leave indentations in the paper cover inserts.

Hard to describe, but GC owners probably know what I'm talking about.

[quote name='drone8888']Minus 10 games, I have every GC game made in the US.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, what are you missing?

[quote name='coolsteel']I like the japanese cases[/quote]
sorry for the dumbness buy why are the japanees cases different

[quote name='mosey73']sorry for the dumbness buy why are the japanees cases different[/quote]I think its because Japan doesn't have quite as much space as we North American's have, so they used a smaller, sleeker case. Its the same one you get when you buy the gameboy player. The only thing I dislike about it is the cardboard case that you slip it into. You gotta be gentle with it so it doesn't get destroyed.

For those that have no idea what the hell i'm talking about
DSC02997.jpg

DSC02998.jpg

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I hate GC cases also, but not so much because of the spindle, as because of the way the fucking square holes on the corners of the box itself leave indentations in the paper cover inserts.

Hard to describe, but GC owners probably know what I'm talking about.[/QUOTE]

I just bought my first Gamecube games and immediately noticed this.

Also, what is the deal with the hole along the bottom edge? I see it in most cases, but some don't have it. For example, my copy of Pikmin doesn't have this hole. I thought maybe it was a replacement case of some sort, but on the inside it is obviously an official Nintendo Gamecube case.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I hate GC cases also, but not so much because of the spindle, as because of the way the fucking square holes on the corners of the box itself leave indentations in the paper cover inserts.

Hard to describe, but GC owners probably know what I'm talking about.[/quote]

Yeah that's annoying. Another thing is how the insert "sticks out" of the plastic covering of the case (at the top and/or bottom) and gets wrecked.

[quote name='Zing']I just bought my first Gamecube games and immediately noticed this.

Also, what is the deal with the hole along the bottom edge? I see it in most cases, but some don't have it. For example, my copy of Pikmin doesn't have this hole. I thought maybe it was a replacement case of some sort, but on the inside it is obviously an official Nintendo Gamecube case.[/quote]

I think it's for sticking the anti-theft tag things, or they're saving on plastic costs.

Mario Sunshine, hole.
Metroid Prime, no hole.

I don't get it.

I agree that it requires too much force to get the games out.

[quote='Cube Daddy;4768706]It's so that if the disc farts, it doesn't choke and die.
[/quote]

:lol::applause:

I actually just bend the case gently to easily pop double-disc games out. I started a thread about this back in 2004.

Gently bend the whole case (not the disc) and you should be able to pop the disc out with minimal friction. Another method is to put the open case on a bed (or surface that gives) and push down on the spindle firmly while gently lifting the disc.

Yeah, I have no life.

I never noticed it being tough to get the disc out, I never hold the game on it's side always in the hole in the middle.

You guys ever wonder why we switched from cartridges to cds? I don't remember loading times on the N64 games.

Definitely the cost. PS1 owned N64 partly because of the discs, which were much easier to mass-produce. Then Nintendo saw the oft-pirated Dreamcast and went with mini-discs.

Nintendo was charging third parties a $10 per cartridge licensing/manufacturing fee. I personally believe they went with the proprietary gamecube discs in an attempt to continue this source of revenue/lock-in/control.

Those disc for the gamecube were quite small and frankly seemed to be able to take more "Damage" compared to the PS2 discs.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']You guys ever wonder why we switched from cartridges to cds?[/quote]No, because everybody knows a CD can hold over 20x what the largest N64 cartridge could hold, and cost only 1/20 the price if that. Did you think we switched to discs just for shits and giggles?

[quote name='TimPV3']No, because everybody knows a CD can hold over 20x what the largest N64 cartridge could hold, and cost only 1/20 the price if that. Did you think we switched to discs just for shits and giggles?[/quote]

Exactly. I don't even think that it is the space that's an issue, it's the fact a N64 cart probably cost $10 to make. I remember when the GBA first came out and the bigger cards (memory wise) were $12 just for the cart. However a SD card for a DS most likely cost 25 cents to make, they are extremely cheap now a days.

bread's done
Back