UPDATE: Okami, Maximo vs. AoZ?, Disgaea HoD and Odin Sphere Greatest Hits 9/2

willardhaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I don't know if it's been mentioned but these Atlus games are now Greatest Hits shipping on September 2nd.

Enjoy if you haven't already (well Disgaea at least, I didn't fancy Odin Sphere).

UPDATE: Supposedly Maximo 2 and Okami are also becoming Greatest Hits in September.

Okami sort of makes sense since there is demand, but Maximo 2 is readily available for 5 dollars new online.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='willardhaven'] Enjoy if you haven't already (well Disgaea at least, I didn't fancy Odin Sphere).[/quote]

BLASPHEMY.

But seriously, Greatest Hits? No way.

Please post a link confirming this.

I didn't like Odin Sphere either, but if Disgaea's going greatest hits, I may just have to buy a copy of that instead of the DS version.

I just read the 1up review on Amazon and...wow...I really hope nobody takes them seriously.

Atlus Greatest Hits....

How times have changed.

Doesnt that mean that they hit a certain sales threshold set by Sony? Perhaps that threshold has been lowered?

An Atlus title? ... Greatest Hits?

Has there ever been a Greatest Hits Atlus title before this?

Actually...

As of Dec 07 NPD:

Disgaea - 135k
Odin Sphere - 101k

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner - 33k
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga - 50k
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 2 - 39k
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne - 54k
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 - 71k

this is what they should of done with the 2nd printing of disgaea... the game has been reprinted what 5 or 6 times now ...

I still wont sell off my first ed (white label sticker on top) sealed copy of disgaea

Low print run. They knew FES was going to come and blow it away.

Also, the series has never sold that well anyway. They'd be crazy to do a large print run given the sales history of the series.

Maybe I'll give odin sphere another try- anyone played it on an 80GB PS3?

I really didn't think much of it aside from the visuals when i played it the first time.

It's a little funny that Disgaea 1 drops to $20 the week after Disgaea 3 is released. Alot of PS3 owners are going to want to get parts 1 and 2 after they pick up part 3 to "complete the collection". I bet part 2 will have a little jump in price in early September.

According to VGC, Odin Sphere only sold 300k in Japan and U.S. No figures for Europe, where there game was released in May of this year so i'm sure the game could have reached half a million easily since then. By the way, the requirements for Greatest Hits on the PS2 are as follows;

• at least 400,000 copies and...
  • being on the market for at least 9 months
So i'm sure the combined sales of Odin Sphere has surpassed 400,000 since being released in Europe.

The Greatest Hits line doesn't reflect how many units were sold. IIRC, the only requirement is the amount of time it's been released for, you have to be willing to reprint it after at least 1 year on the shelf or somesuch.

The first time I read about this on CAG was a thread from a few years ago talking about Marvel Nemesis PS2 and a few other very non-worthy titles going GH around the same time...

GH definitely doesn't equal "million seller" like it used to for other systems.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I didn't like Odin Sphere either, but if Disgaea's going greatest hits, I may just have to buy a copy of that instead of the DS version.[/QUOTE]

Why? just get the psp version at least you get the soundtracks and the optional Etna mode. Plus I wouldn't count on too many PS3 owners buying the game because they probably own the 40GB version PS3.

P.S. Nobody liked Odin Sphere, La Pucelle Tactics, or Soul Nomad.

I don't care about soundtracks, and I don't have a PSP. The DS version comes with Etna mode + something else, so if I was going to get a mobile version it would be the DS one anyway. Also, La Pucelle was great fun. Not sure why you hate it so much, but whatever.

[quote name='slidecage']this is what they should of done with the 2nd printing of disgaea... the game has been reprinted what 5 or 6 times now ...

I still wont sell off my first ed (white label sticker on top) sealed copy of disgaea[/QUOTE]

keep telling yourself that white label will make it ultra mega uber rare and valuable.

[quote name='missingno81']
P.S. Nobody liked Odin Sphere, La Pucelle Tactics, or Soul Nomad.[/quote]

I liked Odin Sphere more than Disgaea personally.

[quote name='missingno81']P.S. Nobody liked Odin Sphere, La Pucelle Tactics, or Soul Nomad.[/quote]

Nobody likes people who say shit like this.

You have got to be shitting me, 2 Atlus games on the Greatest Hits, this is starting to scare me.

I liked Odin Sphere sort of, the game was good except for the fact that I got my ass handed to me and had to quit because I could not beat it.

Disgaea is a game I should play but I don't know which version yet if any.

Disgaea really must be played, why not play the original since it will be a Greatest Hit?

All of the following NIS games build upon the foundation of Disgaea, so go for it.

Yes, Odin Sphere has some slowdown when a bunch of enemies appear at the same time. And there is some repition, because the characters fight many of the same bosses. Other then that, excellent game. AWESOME graphics. Each character has a completely different fighting style, which is sweet. You might hear complaints about the controls... seriously, you would have to be a total n00b at action RPG's to even say that.

Some people found the game hard, but that is stupid. Once you die, you immediately replay the battle, and you can save at any point in the game. I think those two aspects alone make it easier than FFXII.

[quote name='Alucard400']I concur. You gotta be asking to be flamed to make ignorant negative comments about a group of games.[/quote]

I've never made comments on gamers troller. As for the games they're just knock-offs of Disgaea just with different themes for different audiences, having actually spoken to representatives of NIS.

[quote name='missingno81']I've never made comments on gamers troller. As for the games they're just knock-offs of Disgaea just with different themes for different audiences, having actually spoken to representatives of NIS.[/QUOTE]

How exactly is Odin Sphere, a 2-d side-scrolling action RPG, a knock-off of Disgaea, a grid-based SRPG?

[quote name='Purkeynator']keep telling yourself that white label will make it ultra mega uber rare and valuable.[/QUOTE]

who said im going to sell it......i still got a sealed Suikoden II (i know im stupid for not selling it)

i mostly will just keep it in my collection. Im still kicking myself for selling

HARVEST MOON SUPER NINTENDO Sealed.... I still have yet to find another one.

[quote name='missingno81']I've never made comments on gamers troller. As for the games they're just knock-offs of Disgaea just with different themes for different audiences, having actually spoken to representatives of NIS.[/quote]

Uh, not sure if you're referring to Odin Sphere, too, like your stupid post above, but Odin Sphere is nothing like Soul Nomad, Disgaea, etc., etc... :I

I never thought I would see the day when disgaea became a greatest hit. When square sees this they better kick themselves for not making FFTactics 2 yet.

I think everyone has to decide on their own.

I hated the controls, repetition, lack of exploration and item system. I think for people who don't really care about the aforementioned shortcomings, the game's art style, score and plot will be enough to justify 20 dollars.

[quote name='missingno81']I've never made comments on gamers troller. As for the games they're just knock-offs of Disgaea just with different themes for different audiences, having actually spoken to representatives of NIS.[/quote]

That's like saying Final Fantasy Tactics was a ripoff of Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance. Read: La Pucelle was made before Disgaea.

Off-topic...i've lost my desire to play SRPGs on a console in front of the TV. Now, if they were on the PSP, that'd be an entirely different matter seeing as how i play it a few hours everyday.

Heh... Well, after not selling anything on eBay for months I finally decided to clear out some of the extra stuff I had laying around. It turned out I had 2 copies of Odin Sphere (don't even remember where the second one came from :lol: - such is life as a CAG). I thought about saving it for the Christmas season but decided to just go for it - got $28 for it just a few days ago. Nice, given this news!

Of course this also makes the scratched up copy of Disgaea I bought at Gamestop for like $45 back when it was very hard to find kind of a piece of crap now ;). So I guess it evens out...

interesting news
I found odin sphere a great combination of action, alchemy, item management and levelling.
The story and voice acting was solid, and the art fantastic.
Playing as different characters fundamentally changes the approach and the game is no more repetitive than final fantasy- I guess they could have given them different names and a slight color change if that's your thing. The slowdown and loadimes due to the aging ps2 are unfortunate, would love to see princess crown.

The instruction booklet is riddled with major spoilers.

bread's done
Back