How will Team USA (men's basketball) do in the Olympics?

I voted Bronze because they still play a style of basketball (American - all isolation) that does not work well in International play w/ International rules.

The International game is so much more beautiful...that being said, I hope they bring home the Gold (and it truly is embarrassing when they lose due to having the 5-6 best players in the world on one team).

[quote name='Wlogan31']I voted Bronze because they still play a style of basketball (American - all isolation) that does not work well in International play w/ International rules.

The International game is so much more beautiful...that being said, I hope they bring home the Gold (and it truly is embarrassing when they lose due to having the 5-6 best players in the world on one team).[/QUOTE]

Another big factor is that many of those other teams practice/play as a team a lot over many years.

I think we have a good chance at gold but likewise I wouldn't be shocked if we fall short. Of course given recent results I doubt anyone would be shocked. Not making it out of prelims would be shocking, though.

I'm really thinking gold this year. The core group of players played for about 2 years together. Not only that, but I think this group won't be rediculously over-confident, as other groups were going in (not only that, I'm not sure that the U.S. has the target on their back as much as they did previously).

I'm thinking gold, and even with increased competition, anything other than gold would be a bit disappointing.

Im gonna say gold. The usa team is playing like a team and not like a bunch of superstars thrown together. I think that they need to play a lil more defense other wise they should win gold

I hope we win it but we are being super overconfident. We have had a ton of our flaws shown during the exhibition games. I hope we win it all though.

Gold. these guys seem to be intent on winning and making up for the embarassment of the past games. as long as they play as a team it's in the bag

The Russia and Australia games got me a little nervous, but I'm still thinking they were holding back since these don't count. I think once the 10th rolls around they'll be way more focused.

I personally don't see how any team with Kobe, LeBron, and Dwayne Wade actually functioning as a team and not a bunch of ball hogging superstars could possibly be bad. It was actually weird seeing Kobe pass a ball for once.

[quote name='xcoax']The Russia and Australia games got me a little nervous, but I'm still thinking they were holding back since these don't count. I think once the 10th rolls around they'll be way more focused.

I personally don't see how any team with Kobe, LeBron, and Dwayne Wade actually functioning as a team and not a bunch of ball hogging superstars could possibly be bad. It was actually weird seeing Kobe pass a ball for once.[/QUOTE]

How can you forget Chris Paul. He is just as good.

[quote name='pimpinc333']How can you forget Chris Paul. He is just as good.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah man, I'm a big Chris Paul fan. I was just going by the household names. The only person I don't see fitting on the team would be Carlos Boozer, but that's just me. I'd take Kevin Garnett over him anyday but it's too bad he wasn't interested in playing.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I say the gold this time around. If Coach K can't get Team USA to Gold, no one can.[/quote]

Glad I was right about this. Good job Team USA! :applause:

I watched or DVRed every game and had a blast watching them. Lebron comes off looking really good out of the whole thing to me. Also Teshaun Prince = ultimate team player.

[quote name='xcoax']Oh yeah man, I'm a big Chris Paul fan. I was just going by the household names. The only person I don't see fitting on the team would be Carlos Boozer, but that's just me. I'd take Kevin Garnett over him anyday but it's too bad he wasn't interested in playing.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of KG not wanting to play. I say if you're one of the NBA's elite players you HAVE to play in the Olympics. They shouldn't even have to ask it should be a necessary part of every NBA Players contract. If they pick you, you have to play regardless.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Speaking of KG not wanting to play. I say if you're one of the NBA's elite players you HAVE to play in the Olympics. They shouldn't even have to ask it should be a necessary part of every NBA Players contract. If they pick you, you have to play regardless.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go that far. I mean, there's a huge difference between a motivated, team player Kobe and the Kobe you see play for the Lakers who never passes the ball.

Overall I really enjoyed all the games I got to see. Unfortunately I missed the gold medal game thanks to mixing up A.M. and P.M. Dwyane Wade really impressed the hell out of me with some of the stuff he did.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Speaking of KG not wanting to play. I say if you're one of the NBA's elite players you HAVE to play in the Olympics. They shouldn't even have to ask it should be a necessary part of every NBA Players contract. If they pick you, you have to play regardless.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I gotta disagree with this as well. If somebody doesn't want to be a part of the Olympics then they shouldn't force it on them. This team was great to watch because it actually seemed like they cared.

It just show just shows what kind of NBA stars they are. If they are not getting paid to play most rather not do it. Everything to Athletes now a days revolves around money. This is why we haven't won gold in the past couple of Olmypics.

[quote name='pimpinc333']It just show just shows what kind of NBA stars they are. If they are not getting paid to play most rather not do it. Everything to Athletes now a days revolves around money. This is why we haven't won gold in the past couple of Olmypics.[/quote]

First, it was only one Olympic that this team was redeeming (two if you want to count 1972, I don't). Secondly, don't act so high and righteous. KG already won gold for America in 2000, why should he have to repeat again unless he wanted to? Do you think Kobe is any less selfish than KG? Besides, I'd wager most players are being paid while they're playing - fat marketing/advertising contracts. It's much more exposure than just sitting at home watching the games.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Speaking of KG not wanting to play. I say if you're one of the NBA's elite players you HAVE to play in the Olympics. They shouldn't even have to ask it should be a necessary part of every NBA Players contract. If they pick you, you have to play regardless.[/quote]

The USA is not communist China.

bread's done
Back