CAGcast #130: Joe Schmoe's Penis World

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#91 SeanAmI

SeanAmI

No you cannot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

Madden usually has historical rosters at least in previous gen versions. They are trying to recreate a moment and if the guy that made the game saving catch isn't even on the field, what is the point? I agree with Wombat.

#92 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:58 PM

actually I don't recall Cheapy saying we could use Skype.. that was actually my next question

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#93 registered

registered

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

Wombat I strongly disagree with your comparison of Cloning Clyde and Braid. CC was much more like Lemmings. Where as Braid is like a Mario game with the time mechanic from Prince Of Persia SoT. Seriously, the cloning aspect you make mention of in the podcast happens in only one world. And it isn't even a true cloning mechanic like in CC. It's more like pre-planning moves. The two games are worlds apart in their production values too. The story in Braid is much better. The art and music are cuts above most XBLA games. And as a whole there were so many fresh ideas on the time mechanic that the game was a complete joy. If paying $5 extra dollars leads to more fresh and polished games like Braid, then I will happily pay.

The ten dollar fixed price has lead to a sea of shit with a few good XBLA games. The two games released for more money, PA Adventures and Braid, have been great fun.

CheapyD you were dead on with your review. Wombat you seem to be complaining for the sake of complaining lately.

P.S. -- You are going to end up eating your words about LBP big time. CheapyD is right again. Even if you don't like creating your own levels, there will be 10s of thousands or 100s of thousands of other people making levels. And enough of them will be good to keep the game going for years.

#94 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

I hope I am wrong, I am just apprehensive. Don't take my critisism of a game as a personal attack.

soooo are you gonna buy it day 1 or wait for reviews first?
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#95 lwelyk

lwelyk

Everyone is connected...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:23 PM

actually I don't recall Cheapy saying we could use Skype.. that was actually my next question

No, he said we could skype in at at cagcast for the name.
Posted Image
I Don't Even - Bad Movie night IRC. Every Wednesday at 10 Eastern/9 Central.

#96 RobotChickenMk1

RobotChickenMk1

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:41 PM

you mean HOME? ;)

But the character models in HOME are farrr to realistic :shock:... I mean... their eyes are scaled correctly and everything... LOL!
'Wax Off' made me kill my dog.

#97 TheEyecon

TheEyecon

Red Sox Pride!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:47 PM

Great Cagcast as usual guys
Posted Image

#98 taylor89

taylor89

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:28 PM

You may think you're just being critical, Wombat, but I think you were really negative this show. You don't have to just say things that might be bad about a game, you can also say things which might be good, or might surprise you. It gets a little depressing listening to you, honestly. It's like you don't want to get excited about anything, in case you might be disappointed.

#99 Chase

Chase

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

Insert generic praise comment here. But yes, this was a fun, focused show (despite Cheapy thinking their banter at the end was a bad thing). I laughed out loud on more than one occasion.

Good luck against the Penny Arcade panel, Cheapy. Maybe have a drink or ten and make sure your panel is more interesting.

#100 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:32 PM

I mentioned a few eps a go that I did not own a madden from this gen and that this may be my year. Getting the momments right is importnat because the players on the field are what make the momment relevent. Without it you are just playing 2 minutes of anything, it has no significance. As a feature and it being the only game in town, this is something they need to get right. As a football fan and a madden fan I find it insulting to me and offensive. All-pro 2k is more of a fantasy game and has no bearing on real football.

It just seems like such a petty thing to base your refusal to buy the game on. It comes off as a cop out reason to not buy the game, like refusing to buy BC Rearmed because of the lack of online co-op or multiplayer. I guess if you're trying to make some kind of statement about it, it's fine, but that doesn't mine I can't harp on you about it.

As for LBP, I just have concerns, if just agreed with Cheapy on the show then people wouldn't be talking about it now. Also I know of at least one person who had a chance to play it at E3 and wasn't impressed. I wont say who but it rhymes with flipseck. This game is very different from anything on the system , I think I am allowed to question whether the game will live up to its hype. Or is just a 2D platformer with a level creator.

Never said you needed to agree with Cheapy on everything, but some of the complaints you lodged against the game (penis levels overwhelming the user-created offerings, eight year olds being forced to make levels, etc) made it seem like you were stretching for reasons that the game will fail to be anything more than a niche game. You even went so far as to suggest that it won't be a complete game, asking Cheapy how many levels are in the game, like he would have paid attention to anything PR people would tell him at E3.

I really don't think I was being all that negative, I just wasnt aggreing with everything Cheapy said. Heck I enjoyed Braid and Geo Wars 2 and I said I was looking forward to Banjo Kazooie. People just focus on the negative because it seems the be the most interesting things I say.

Didn't say you were negative about everything, just that you seemed to take the negative approach to any game that was mentioned on the show (Last Guy, Infamous, DC Universe Online, Wii Fit, Warhawk, Calling All Cars, and even the Wii) more often than not.

You guys should bring back the Hype Wagon to give yourselves a chance to talk more about games you're looking forward to since I don't recall that segment being around for a while.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#101 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:06 AM

It just seems like such a petty thing to base your refusal to buy the game on. It comes off as a cop out reason to not buy the game, like refusing to buy BC Rearmed because of the lack of online co-op or multiplayer. I guess if you're trying to make some kind of statement about it, it's fine, but that doesn't mine I can't harp on you about it.

Never said you needed to agree with Cheapy on everything, but some of the complaints you lodged against the game (penis levels overwhelming the user-created offerings, eight year olds being forced to make levels, etc) made it seem like you were stretching for reasons that the game will fail to be anything more than a niche game. You even went so far as to suggest that it won't be a complete game, asking Cheapy how many levels are in the game, like he would have paid attention to anything PR people would tell him at E3.

Didn't say you were negative about everything, just that you seemed to take the negative approach to any game that was mentioned on the show (Last Guy, Infamous, DC Universe Online, Wii Fit, Warhawk, Calling All Cars, and even the Wii) more often than not.

You guys should bring back the Hype Wagon to give yourselves a chance to talk more about games you're looking forward to since I don't recall that segment being around for a while.

thats not a bad idea, as it was not my intention to be the negative man. I wasn't being negative about Warhawk i was being negative about cheapy and warhawk

#102 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:32 AM

thats not a bad idea, as it was not my intention to be the negative man. I wasn't being negative about Warhawk i was being negative about cheapy and warhawk

I think I brought that up because you kept bringing that joke back again and again with a different fake quote that Cheapy's supposedly said in the past.

#103 terpkristin

terpkristin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:56 AM

Pretty good show this week, guys! I know others have grumbled, but I'm OK with the move to Monday releases, just gives me something to listen to Tuesday at work.

I don't particularly consider myself a niche gamer, but I'm definitely looking forward to LBP. Though I have next to no intention of doing too much with creating my own levels, I think the idea is neat, and I'll probably give other user-generated levels a try. I don't know that it will be a system-seller, though.

As for Cheapy doing a video podcast, it should be an interesting idea. I guess it's possible to extend the "Your Man in Japan" idea, and make full shows of stuff like your toilet video. Or you can do a weekly wrap-up of your thoughts on what you've been playing this week. Maybe a podcast on gaming as a new parent?

/tk
terpkristin
Find me on XBLA and PSN as terpkristin
Wii: 4059 1919 9282 7625
Now Playing: trying to go through the stack of games...
Trying to update the blog regularly.. http://gimpygal.blogspot.com
http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com/

#104 DesertEagleXIX

DesertEagleXIX

Semper Economus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:46 AM

I don't think Wombat in negative; he just brings a healthy dose of skepticism to the CAGcast. Most of the enthusiast press gush over games in the preview stages- not Wombat. He seems to take a 'wait and see approach'.

Frisky- So Wombat was negative about WiiFit and Calling All Cars? If I recall his criticism of CAC was the lack of boards, options, etc. I wholeheartedly agree. I played this for about two hours and had no intent to ever play again. Also he said Wiifit didn't offer enough value to justify the $90 price. I know at least 15 people who bought this title day and and now regret it- one of those people is me. As for Warhawk- we'll it's a great game, I think he relaxed his stance after playing it.

Wombat, if you you ever lose this skeptical side of your personality, a little bit of me will die on the inside!

One more point- After playing Banjo and Kazooie for about a half hour; I'm glad it will be $39.99, I couldn't pay $60 for the game. One level had a hillside, and I spent a few minutes working my way to the top. I wreck my car, and for the next 30 seconds, I watched as my car tumbles down uncontrollably, finally landing in water. Shit like that makes me reach for the power button.

LBP on the other hand has me super excited- I love making levels more than playing them.
Posted Image
www.tech-gaming.com

#105 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:09 AM

Frisky- So Wombat was negative about WiiFit and Calling All Cars? If I recall his criticism of CAC was the lack of boards, options, etc. I wholeheartedly agree. I played this for about two hours and had no intent to ever play again. Also he said Wiifit didn't offer enough value to justify the $90 price. I know at least 15 people who bought this title day and and now regret it- one of those people is me. As for Warhawk- we'll it's a great game, I think he relaxed his stance after playing it.

Didn't criticize his negativity of Wii Fit and CAC or any of the other games I listed, just listed what he was negative about. I'm not angry that we wasn't gushing over them, just backing up my thought that he had a negative stance on most things discussed in the show. The last few times he's brought up Warhawk, the first words out of his mouth were "the problem I have with Warhawk is _____," which isn't really relaxing on his stance.

I said I thought it was one of his most negative shows that I can recall, which he didn't think it was, so I listed some of the games he wasn't so positive about. I remember a time when we couldn't get Wombat to shut up about how much he loved Oblivion, so it's always fluctuating. He doesn't need to change anything, but I think I'm allowed to comment on the fluctuations.

#106 ASURobbie

ASURobbie

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:19 AM

Great show again guys! Always a highlight to burn through the CAGcast.

-On the Madden Moments. I'll still pick the game up, but I agree completely with Wombat on how shitty the moments are. They have to have the right rosters. And not just because it is a 'next-gen' game. Does anyone remember QB Club for the SNES and Genesis (and then onto the Saturn and N64)? Because those games had "Scenarios", which were the exact same thing as the Madden Moments, except they had accurate rosters. All the way back in the mid 90s. So I'm calling bullshit on the Moments not having accurate rosters.

-On the flip side, I wholeheartedly disagree with Wombat on LBP's level design potential. First off, they are packaging the game with a buttload of levels (or at least they are saying they will...). So that concern is out of the window. But then, the quality of levels. Of course, there will be plenty of terrible levels. But there are going to be a select few which are fantastic. Countless PC games have benefited from user made content, and even some games out there that are hugely popular are based from user made content.

I do think there has to be a really effective mechanism out there to make sure that the good levels float to the top, and make themselves obviously available to people. On the PC, there were always great fan sites which did a good job of reviewing lots and lots of maps, to make sure you knew which were good. And then you'd start to figure out who were your favorite designers in the community, and then you could just download their stuff automatically, knowing it would be good.

Of course, if they just dump all the levels on top of you, with no way of discerning between them, that will be a definite issue. I think the biggest problem they will have is having an interface that gamers can access in-game. On the PC, it is easy to browse websites, and pick maps to download. On the PS3...not so much. So I'm not sure how they are going to address that challenge.

-On Wombat being...'negative'. I don't know if that is really a bad thing. Nobody really wants to listen to two guys just jerk each other off for an hour or so. People listen for real, genuine discussions about topics, and in order to do that, there has to be a little conflict.

I don't know if anyone happens to listen to Bay Area sports talk, but there is a very popular host called Gary Radnich who's on 9-12, and sometimes people call in and ask "Why are you opinionated on [pick a topic]?" And he answers "Because it's my job to be opinionated. For 3 hours a day, I got to find something to talk about. As soon as the show is over, I'm over it, and go back to just enjoying sports. But during work time, I have to generate topics for discussion". I think the same point applies to what Cheapy and Wombat are doing. Wombat mentioned to not take this statements personally. He's just out there, trying to talk about something.

#107 Layziebones

Layziebones

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:44 AM

I think the Video Podcast thing would be cool, but without Wombat, its an automatic fail. :)

I kind of agree with Wombat about Little Big Planet. A game shouldn't rely on a majority of user created content to work. User created content can be fun, but if it is the major selling point of the game, then I think it may fail. As Wombat said, we are going to get flooded with levels where people think they are hilarious by making you platform through a gigantic penis or something equally stupid. I don't know the level of content that will be provided with the game, but User created content shouldn't be how we attain most of the levels. It could be fun, but sifting through the levels to find the real gems would really hurt the game. Just wanted to let Wombat know he isn't alone.

By the way, great show this week.

www.Islagi.info

Posting a new, idiotic video every day.

#108 misterine

misterine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:30 AM

I have a question regarding about the contest
If i submitted a voicemail on the last contest it's saved over right?

#109 Layziebones

Layziebones

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:09 AM

I have a question regarding about the contest
If i submitted a voicemail on the last contest it's saved over right?

I don't think so because the question for the contest is different.

www.Islagi.info

Posting a new, idiotic video every day.

#110 Z_meista

Z_meista

The Paragon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:03 AM

Great show, guys. The video podcast is a great idea. Can't wait to see the "pilot" episode. Hehe.. Good luck with that.

#111 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

Wombat on LBP:

Wow, talk about being 100% pessimistic about something! I completely disagree with the complaints that Wombat lodged against what could easily be one of the most innovative games ever. Wombat's issues:

1) "I pay $60 to have levels created for me by the developers"
...welll, if you would pay any attention to the recent coverage of this title (aka. do your homework for CheapyD's podcast), you'd know that it's coming with at least 50 pre-made levels on the disc, of which include boss battles, co-op play, and--I'd imagine--the abolity to edit the actual levels, just like Halo's Forge.

2) "I don't want to play penis levels"
...lets get one thing clear: PSN userbase quality >>>> XBox Live userbase quality. I have 50 Friends on my PSN list (none of whom I know other than through the PSN service), and I can't think of a single one of them that would be as immature as the "users" Wombat bitched about. Sure, there's always going to be a rotten grape in every bunch, but that's no need to tear down an entire community. Plus, Media Molecule is going to include a YouTube-like rating system for the custom-built levels, so only the truly good stuff will rise to the top.

The last game to feature a truly robust, user-friendly level creator was Megaman Powered-Up--I browsed through hundreds of user-created content, and didn't see even one immaturely themed level. Just because you prefer XBox Live, Wombat, doesn't mean you have to judge all other services / users off of it.

In fact, by you going on CheapyD's stellar podcast and, per usual, ranting without merit about LBP being filled with penis levels, all you're doing is contributing to the small demographic of people who, sadly, will most likely resort to such penis-filled nonsense. Shame on you for whining about true innovation--the PS3 brings you the freedom to create in LBP, yet it seems that all you truly want is more shovelware of Microsoft's "heavily armored marines with guns" themed games. Jeesh, maybe next you should complain about Braid costing $15... ...oh, wait, too late...

Either start thinking things through before you talk, or let Shipwreck take your place on CheapyD's award-winning podcast.

#112 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:44 PM

Wombat on LBP:

Wow, talk about being 100% pessimistic about something! I completely disagree with the complaints that Wombat lodged against what could easily be one of the most innovative games ever. Wombat's issues:

1) "I pay $60 to have levels created for me by the developers"
...welll, if you would pay any attention to the recent coverage of this title (aka. do your homework for CheapyD's podcast), you'd know that it's coming with at least 50 pre-made levels on the disc, of which include boss battles, co-op play, and--I'd imagine--the abolity to edit the actual levels, just like Halo's Forge.

2) "I don't want to play penis levels"
...lets get one thing clear: PSN userbase quality >>>> XBox Live userbase quality. I have 50 Friends on my PSN list (none of whom I know other than through the PSN service), and I can't think of a single one of them that would be as immature as the "users" Wombat bitched about. Sure, there's always going to be a rotten grape in every bunch, but that's no need to tear down an entire community. Plus, Media Molecule is going to include a YouTube-like rating system for the custom-built levels, so only the truly good stuff will rise to the top.

The last game to feature a truly robust, user-friendly level creator was Megaman Powered-Up--I browsed through hundreds of user-created content, and didn't see even one immaturely themed level. Just because you prefer XBox Live, Wombat, doesn't mean you have to judge all other services / users off of it.

In fact, by you going on CheapyD's stellar podcast and, per usual, ranting without merit about LBP being filled with penis levels, all you're doing is contributing to the small demographic of people who, sadly, will most likely resort to such penis-filled nonsense. Shame on you for whining about true innovation--the PS3 brings you the freedom to create in LBP, yet it seems that all you truly want is more shovelware of Microsoft's "heavily armored marines with guns" themed games. Jeesh, maybe next you should complain about Braid costing $15... ...oh, wait, too late...

Either start thinking things through before you talk, or let Shipwreck take your place on CheapyD's award-winning podcast.

who brought up PSN or Xbox Live?

#113 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

Nega-Wombat is from the Nega-verse! don't be fooled!
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#114 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

who brought up PSN or Xbox Live?

From the sound of things, your negativity towards online communities is a result of all of the time you spend on LIVE--had you spent more time on the PSN instead, you wouldn't be so quick to make assumptions about how user-created content would be handled, as the actual PSN tends to have a much more mature userbase.

#115 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:49 PM

so this is the "Wombat-hate" I always hear about. I should hang out in show threads more often.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#116 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:59 PM

I don't know, he started pulling shit out of his ass. Yeah Wombat, shame on you for saying things you didn't!

LBP looks very fun, but it's not "teh most innovative game everz!" It's a basic platformer with very nice, very impressive level editing tools with a cute little style. I'm most certainly looking forward to it, but I'm not going to hype it up like it's something more than it is.

#117 StinkyCheese

StinkyCheese

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:30 PM

thought Wombat might get a kick out of this:

EDIT: image not showing up, heres a link
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=3041#comments"][/URL]

#118 orko60

orko60

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

I don't know, he started pulling shit out of his ass. Yeah Wombat, shame on you for saying things you didn't!

LBP looks very fun, but it's not "teh most innovative game everz!" It's a basic platformer with very nice, very impressive level editing tools with a cute little style. I'm most certainly looking forward to it, but I'm not going to hype it up like it's something more than it is.

Even if that's "all that it is," isn't that enough to be something very new and innovative? Here we have a full game out of the box, with a way to share levels that you create on your own, rate them, and one day have the best creators even sell their content on the platform. I don't recall anything like this happening on a console, ever, especially with the ease of use (somewhere between modding Unreal levels and making tracks in Excite Bike) and versatility that LBP offers. It looks fun to play, and I'm dreaming up tons of non-penis levels to start making as soon as I get it.

Also, what's up with Nega-Wombat ragging on CheapyD for loving Warhawk when he first got it? The game is great. So what if he doesn't play it anymore; he was excited when he first started playing. He's a "busy man" as we all know. There is still a huge community out there playing, and the devs are constantly updating with free and paid content. We've even got fucking Jet Packs coming out soon. I throw it in every few months, and I always find some fun on there. It really is a great game, and something that is completely unrepresented on consoles (maybe BF:BC is like it, but that's an FPS...I like Warhawk's TPS approach).

What can men do against such reckless hate?
Posted Image

#119 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

I didn't say it wasn't innovative, I'm saying it's not the most innovative game to ever come out. It doesn't do anything new, it improves upon things that have already existed in games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy it on day one, play it and most likely enjoy it quite a bit. But claiming like LBP is the end all be all of video games is unfounded in my opinion.

#120 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:11 PM

How far off is the collection database?

PaulManda.png