Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

• Please log in to reply
3250 replies to this topic

#3151 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:12 AM

Seems like a short period between going in the vault and coming back out again, at least compared to Disney. It makes the whole thing look pretty silly in my opinion. It's not like demand would have really suffered much if they simply left them on the shelves, and re-released them later next year. All this does is piss off people who want to buy the movies, and benefit resellers who are likely buying up these movies all now to sell to these poor souls.

#3152 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

:fridge:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3153 Blumpkin

Blumpkin

Has a bad case of diarrhea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:14 AM

Game of Thrones has finally been dated! Amazon has it set for March 6 and also has the cover art. About damn time.

http://www.amazon.co...23061925&sr=8-1

16Z462z.jpg

#3154 Trojann

Trojann

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

I cannot wait for Drive on Blu-ray!

#3155 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

I cannot wait for Drive on Blu-ray!

My favorite movie of the last couple years! Loved every single moment of the film! :applause::applause:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3156 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

Indiana Jones collection with all four movies (yes, I know everyone's take on Crystal Skull), out this fall:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8283

Let's hope Paramount does what we had with the Alien collection and make the movies individually for people that don't want Crystal Skull.

I also hope that the movies are remastered correctly and they look good on BD. No reason they couldn't look great on BD.

EDIT: Apparently up for pre-order on Amazon, no date, for $74.99:
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000NQRE9Q/

Also, don't bother trading in the DVD sets to Amazon unless they're new and sealed, as they have a $0.25 trade-in value if not new and sealed.

#3157 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Indiana Jones collection with all four movies (yes, I know everyone's take on Crystal Skull), out this fall:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8283

Let's hope Paramount does what we had with the Alien collection and make the movies individually for people that don't want Crystal Skull.

I also hope that the movies are remastered correctly and they look good on BD. No reason they couldn't look great on BD.

EDIT: Apparently up for pre-order on Amazon, no date, for $74.99:
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000NQRE9Q/

Also, don't bother trading in the DVD sets to Amazon unless they're new and sealed, as they have a $0.25 trade-in value if not new and sealed.

To get the first three (1 and 3, really), I'll gladly pay the premium of the 4th. I was wondering about the status of this set just the other day.

#3158 mrmagoo1974

mrmagoo1974

I'm a C A G and I'm PROUD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

I am hoping for indy digital copies as well :)

#3159 Grammar Police

Grammar Police

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:38 AM

I don't remember if I asked this or not. If I buy the 3D version of the new Piranha 3D movie, will it still play in 2D effectively?

I only have one 3D TV and I'm pretty sure I won't be watching it there very often, but I'd love to at least once. The rest of the time, it'd be viewed on my non-3D TV with probably a non-3D blu-ray player.

Hopefully it makes sense.

Join Bing Rewards to earn Amazon gift cards and Microsoft points! Extremely easy to use!

#3160 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

I don't remember if I asked this or not. If I buy the 3D version of the new Piranha 3D movie, will it still play in 2D effectively?

I only have one 3D TV and I'm pretty sure I won't be watching it there very often, but I'd love to at least once. The rest of the time, it'd be viewed on my non-3D TV with probably a non-3D blu-ray player.

Hopefully it makes sense.

From the Amazon discussion, 2D is included on the disc and is the default.

#3161 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

I recently heard that some of the Studio Ghibli films are finally being put on Blu-ray. Does anyone know which ones are currently available/what the future releases are going to be?

I know that Nausicaa and Ponyo have been around for a while and that Castle in the Sky's coming out next month, but I'd kill for some of the others (not that there's a single bad film in the bunch).

#3162 OrionBrando

OrionBrando

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:30 AM

Hello! I don't know if is the correct place to post this, I'm new in cheap ass gamers.
I'm going to buy V for Vendetta, Inception, Moneyball and Woman in Black ( Is only available at pre-order right now) I was searching in Amazon, but do you guys know any place/site to check for those movies (Blu-ray)

P.s: Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I really didn't find another place

#3163 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

I recently heard that some of the Studio Ghibli films are finally being put on Blu-ray. Does anyone know which ones are currently available/what the future releases are going to be?

I know that Nausicaa and Ponyo have been around for a while and that Castle in the Sky's coming out next month, but I'd kill for some of the others (not that there's a single bad film in the bunch).

Whisper of the Heart and The Secret World of Arrietty are coming out next month as well.

#3164 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

Whisper of the Heart and The Secret World of Arrietty are coming out next month as well.

Oh, I've never heard of Whisper of the Heart. Should I be ashamed of that? Looks like it's yet another well-reviewed Miyazaki film, whatever the case. I knew about Arrietty, too, but I'm gonna hold out on that one 'till it drops a little bit. ;)

Hello! I don't know if is the correct place to post this, I'm new in cheap ass gamers.
I'm going to buy V for Vendetta, Inception, Moneyball and Woman in Black ( Is only available at pre-order right now) I was searching in Amazon, but do you guys know any place/site to check for those movies (Blu-ray)

P.s: Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I really didn't find another place

If you don't mind buying used, GoHastings has a 33% off sale right now and that makes the movies you've listed a bit cheaper than Amazon's prices (I think - haven't factored in the sales tax or shipping costs). Here's a link to the topic discussing it:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=320190

I'm not sure if everything GoHastings sells is complete, though. Sorry!

#3165 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

Total Recall looks ridiculously good. That is all.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3166 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

The new edition? Good, I preordered it.

#3167 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

The E.T. blu pre-order is down to $17.96 at Amazon if anyone's interested.

#3168 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

Are you talking about the new BD of the original movie? Or the remake of the movie? Both look solid to me.

Can anyone recommend a good region free BD player? I'm looking to import some BBC TV stuff but need a player that can handle 50mhz.

#3169 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

We've had a lot of luck with the (relatively cheap) Samsung E5700. We also have an LG BD570 which has held up well for the past 2 1/2 years.

The Samsung E5300 also handles the 50hz to 60hz conversion, but doesn't have the wireless capabilities of the E5700. It's also on sale at Best Buy this week for $79.99.

#3170 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Awesome. Thanks!
"Ha! I like your style, you make up your own rules just like me." - Cave Johnson

#3171 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:36 AM

I was referring to the new BD of the original Total Recall. Also i got The Raid today and wow awesome movie!

The remake of Total Recall was a big bag of meh. Kate Beckinsale is just silly hot in it though.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3172 tenchi7

tenchi7

Flying Spaghetti Monster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

Oh, I've never heard of Whisper of the Heart. Should I be ashamed of that? Looks like it's yet another well-reviewed Miyazaki film, whatever the case. I knew about Arrietty, too, but I'm gonna hold out on that one 'till it drops a little bit. ;)

If you don't mind buying used, GoHastings has a 33% off sale right now and that makes the movies you've listed a bit cheaper than Amazon's prices (I think - haven't factored in the sales tax or shipping costs). Here's a link to the topic discussing it:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=320190

I'm not sure if everything GoHastings sells is complete, though. Sorry!

Whispers of the Heart is Ghibi, but not Miyazaki, he isnt the only director at the studio. Whisper of the Heart, ive not actual seen, but always hear it's good.

#3173 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

Warner is re-releasing the Ultimate cut of Watchmen, so if you have a copy it might be best to sell it now while the resale value is still high ;)

Posted Image

#3174 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

So tempting, but I already have the vanilla Watchmen BD, the hardcover graphic novel, and the Ultimate Cut DVD. Not sure I can justify getting this...
"Ha! I like your style, you make up your own rules just like me." - Cave Johnson

#3175 blk00civicsi

blk00civicsi

Pillsbury Island

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Glad I sold all of my copies months ago. Not sure I'll be biting on this though.

#3176 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

Warner is re-releasing the Ultimate cut of Watchmen, so if you have a copy it might be best to sell it now while the resale value is still high ;)

Looks like this is just UC Watchman on BD + theatrical of the movie on DVD + UV digital copies + hardcover of the graphic novel + collectable packaging.

Since I have UC already, don't need theatrical on DVD or the UV DCs and have the graphic novel, it's a pass for me.

For those that don't have the UC, it might be worth picking up, though I think the MSRP is a bit painful since some of us picked up UC at around $30.

#3177 argyle

argyle

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

I love Watchmen, but I just didn't think splicing in the Black Freighter stuff would add anything to the movie (honestly, I didn't think it added much to the graphic novel). Am I wrong?
Posted Image

#3178 darkdaze73

darkdaze73

Serious Fisherman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

The pic of the box the set comes in looks like it should include a Watchmen Monopoly or Shoot and Ladders board game.

Think I'll just keep the UC BD set I got as I like that packaging better.

#3179 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

I love Watchmen, but I just didn't think splicing in the Black Freighter stuff would add anything to the movie (honestly, I didn't think it added much to the graphic novel). Am I wrong?

I've read numerous accounts of people that have seen it, and now refuse to watch it any other way. I've only seen them separately, and I wasn't a huge fan of the animation style of black freighter, but I am still curious to see the whole thing. The UC also adds transition scenes of the black kid at the newsstand, which isn't found in any other version.

#3180 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

The pic of the box the set comes in looks like it should include a Watchmen Monopoly or Shoot and Ladders board game.

Think I'll just keep the UC BD set I got as I like that packaging better.

It's the same as most of the other UCE's from WB (Casablanca, Ben Hur, Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka, etc..)