Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

• Please log in to reply
3244 replies to this topic

#61 grendel19

grendel19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

for some reason on the ps3 47 was the volume i always kept it at, but for the hybrid player 39 is about the same

When you're playing a BD disc, hit "options" on the remote (I think). There's actually a selection where you can adjust PS3's internal volume, between -3 to +3 or something. I read somewhere that basically each increment of 1 equals to about +/- 4db.

I'm missing alot of movies at the theater , now that I have 2 children [3mo and 4yr] .
I'm going to blind buy alot of Blu-Rays because of this .

I know how you feel. I have a 4 and a 1 year old and the last movie I saw in the theater was Star Wars III. And in the old days, I used to watch a double header every Sunday with a friend of mine.

Playing:
:pc: Dead Space 3; Fallout New Vegas (on break)
:ps3:
:360: Halo 2
Feedbacks: CAG | Heat | ebay

#62 Sporadic

Sporadic

done with this site

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:41 AM

I recieved The Fall today from Blockbuster Online.

Even though the movie isn't quite the visual masterpiece hype may want you to think it is (The Cell is better), it does look great in motion and is a good movie.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#63 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:15 AM

Lookie what I just got....

Posted Image

#64 rick3000gto

rick3000gto

NVG's FTW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:35 AM

Posted Image

Wait how'd you get those they arent released untill the 30th.

#65 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:17 AM

He gets preview copies. We all hate him.
Spoiler

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain

:dvd:-009-1
:br:-Star Wars: Clone Wars season 3
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#66 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:19 AM

So what do people think of comments like this...

http://www.vgchartz....ad.php?id=40680

seanr1221.png

#67 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:24 AM

Digital distribution is a very long ways off for one giant reason. Broadband market penetration in the U.S. is nowhere near where it needs to be to make it an alternative that kills physical media.

35bb9lx.gif

#68 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:30 AM

Indeed. I also think there are a lot of people out there who still simply prefer having a physical copy of something. I guess, it has a lot to do with being set in my ways, but I just like having a disc and a case. I'm sure that sentiment will fade in coming generations, but for now, there are still a lot of "older" folks who like physical media.

#69 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:35 AM

I'm going to grab Speed Racer next week. Will be the first blu-ray I ever pay money for.

#70 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Wait how'd you get those they arent released untill the 30th.

They are review copies. I have a stack of other films (Leatherheads, Pushing Daisies etc) as well but those are my two favorites.

Can't wait to watch Iron Man for the first time later today!

#71 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:36 PM

Yea, tell us how it looks. I'm excited for that one.

Kill Bill 1 and 2 look really good. There are some scenes where you can see beads of sweat perfectly.

seanr1221.png

#72 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

Also, Death Proof and Planet Terror are coming :] But it sucks they're in two packages.

http://bluray.highde...net_Terror/2080

seanr1221.png

#73 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

Indeed. I also think there are a lot of people out there who still simply prefer having a physical copy of something. I guess, it has a lot to do with being set in my ways, but I just like having a disc and a case. I'm sure that sentiment will fade in coming generations, but for now, there are still a lot of "older" folks who like physical media.

Or there are people like me that would still like the option of trading or even reselling movies they don't like. I will not go Digital Distribution until i am forced, and i can't see that happening for 20 years.

Posted Image

Oh yeah... you're a jerk! ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#74 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:13 PM

Sure, there are movies I want to have a physical copy of - Forgetting Sarah Marshall for example. But others, like Leatherheads, is simply a film I would watch once and that would be that. To have the ability to rent it in HD, all from my living room, for a small fee, is worth it. Not everyone has $20-$40 to spend on Blu-ray discs and not everyone wants to get in there car, go to Blockbuster, hope the movie is in-stock, wait in line, drive home, and then play the movie. Why spend all that time when I can simply click "RENT", wait a few or two, and boom, I get to start watching.

Like I said, there are tons of movies I would want to own - but there are thousand I wouldn't. Its much easier to swallow a $3-$5 rental of a shitty VOD film in HD than $20-40 on a Blu-ray.

#75 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hmmm, I understand what you're saying, but I was really talking more about when one has already decided to purchase a product. From that point on, a physical copy is still superior in my book, especially if they are going to cost about the same.

#76 Sporadic

Sporadic

done with this site

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Sure, there are movies I want to have a physical copy of - Forgetting Sarah Marshall for example. But others, like Leatherheads, is simply a film I would watch once and that would be that. To have the ability to rent it in HD, all from my living room, for a small fee, is worth it. Not everyone has $20-$40 to spend on Blu-ray discs and not everyone wants to get in there car, go to Blockbuster, hope the movie is in-stock, wait in line, drive home, and then play the movie. Why spend all that time when I can simply click "RENT", wait a few or two, and boom, I get to start watching.

Like I said, there are tons of movies I would want to own - but there are thousand I wouldn't. Its much easier to swallow a $3-$5 rental of a shitty VOD film in HD than $20-40 on a Blu-ray.

Well, to be fair, you can already do that with physical media via Netflix/Blockbuster Online. I'd much rather have the physical product instead of waiting 3-5 hours for it to download.

Only way I would get into digital distribution with movies is if there was a Steam-like service...also if I had a bigger hard drive (my 750GB drive is down to 100GBs left)

#77 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

Well, to be fair, you can already do that with physical media via Netflix/Blockbuster Online. I'd much rather have the physical product instead of waiting 3-5 hours for it to download.

Only way I would get into digital distribution with movies is if there was a Steam-like service...also if I had a bigger hard drive (my 750GB drive is down to 100GBs left)

You absolutely can rent it from Netflix/BBO - problem is, it will take 2-3 days to arrive. At that time I may have things going on in my life or no interest in watching the film anymore. Ive sent back my fair share of films simply because I'm in no mood to watch them anymore. The whole point of VOD (for me at least) is to be able to watch it right then and there. If I have a hankering to watch Harold and Maude in HD, I simply click BUY, wait a few minutes, and then it starts right away. It's all about impulse buying without having to leave the couch. Of course my experience has been with Xbox 360 and AppleTV - all of which start either within a few seconds or minutes.

But I purchase more for BD/DVD then rent via VOD...but with Netflix streaming coming to 360, I may cut back on impulse buys for catalog titles when I can essentially rent them for free (aside for the $8.99 I already pay for Netflix). I know there in SD...but still would save me some money.

P.S. Welcome aboard ;)

#78 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

BTW,

For those interested in Leatherheads on Blu-ray Universal has cut all the announced special features from it. All that's left is a Commentary and U-Control (which incorporates seconds of the missing features). REALLY disappointed.

#79 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

Doesnt the new LG Blu player allow streaming from Netflix? Not in HD yet but I could see that maybe being the future.

seanr1221.png

#80 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:26 PM

Doesnt the new LG Blu player allow streaming from Netflix? Not in HD yet but I could see that maybe being the future.

Yes, it will when it comes out. As of right now its only SD quality, but it can be updated to HD at any time (at least the RoKu box can...it has an HDMI port and so do most 360's and I imagine they will pull from the same server).

#81 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:19 AM

Yeah, ok, Iron Man kicked some serious ass!

#82 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:31 AM

I could've told you that 4 months ago.;)

35bb9lx.gif

#83 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:49 AM

I'm jeleous...I'll have to wait till early Oct. for my Amazon copy to arrive :-(

#84 Megalith

Megalith

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

Is anyone still getting 10% off HDM from Amazon?

I still seem to be, but it looks like I'm being cheated. I just checked my order for Forbidden Kingdom, which was originally $24.95, and there was a promotion applied that took $1.25 off. But 10% of $24.95 is $2.50.

I only thought to check this because I found The Incredible Hulk BD in my Gold Box today, but if you add it to the cart, there is no promotion applied aside from the Gold Box discount. So I'm thinking, what is the point of waiting for a disc to hit the Gold Box when you should probably be getting the same (or better) discount from the HDM 10% off.
Display: Pioneer Elite PRO-101FD KURO
Preamp: Pioneer Elite SC-27
Front Channels: Mackie HR824mk2
Rear Channels: Infinity Beta 50
Subwoofer: Epik Valor 15"
Subwoofer EQ: SVS AS-EQ1

#85 rick3000gto

rick3000gto

NVG's FTW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:34 AM

I cant wait for my Iron Man and Forgetting Sarah Marshall to ship.

#86 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:12 PM

Both of those are probably some of the best BD discs so far in terms of special features.

#87 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Hancock cover art blows:
Posted Image

#88 DomLando

DomLando

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:36 PM

Hancock cover art blows:
Posted Image

The movie blew as well.

#89 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

Hancock cover art blows:
Posted Image

One of the worst I have ever seen. What. The. Fuck.

#90 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

It blows my mind that they didn't go with this:
Posted Image