Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

• Please log in to reply
3250 replies to this topic

#2161 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

Understood. I guess we'll have to wait out the reviews from the usual sources.

Both are expected in a few days to reviewers.

#2162 weevles

weevles

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

Ah, rec'd my UK copy of Monsters Inc. I will try to pop it in tonight for a look-see.

Speaking of Pixar films, Disney is double-dipping Cars this November. They are adding DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and a couple of toys, but that's it.

Edit: whoa, I absolutely loved the movie, but what the heck about this package is worth $140, let alone $200??

http://www.amazon.co...2/ref=pd_cp_d_3

Edited by gunm, 25 August 2009 - 10:11 AM.

#2163 weevles

weevles

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:54 AM

Oh wow, I popped in Monsters, Inc. and it is simply stunning. Could I have waited a couple more months? Probably. But I don't regret picking it up now (or double dipping off my DVD copy for that matter) at all. This is the kind of disc you show off the A/V set up to your friends--highly recommended whether you import or get the US release.

#2164 xeno

xeno

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:13 AM

Ah, rec'd my UK copy of Monsters Inc. I will try to pop it in tonight for a look-see.

Speaking of Pixar films, Disney is double-dipping Cars this November. They are adding DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and a couple of toys, but that's it.

Edit: whoa, I absolutely loved the movie, but what the heck about this package is worth $140, let alone $200??

http://www.amazon.co...2/ref=pd_cp_d_3

How about this:
http://www.amazon.co...51267120&sr=1-3
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2165 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:31 AM

Well, that's pretty annoying about the excess of EE for Gladiator. :bomb: Guess I'll wait for it to go on sale for cheaper due to that.

Gizmo, besides the ugly presence of EE, how is the rest of the PQ?

http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1173155

#2166 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

Can anyone guess which one is the Blu-ray?
Posted ImagexPosted Image

#2167 scarface983

scarface983

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

the one on the right?

#2168 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1173155

Ouch. Not good.

#2169 guyver2077

guyver2077

CAG Original

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

i guess i just suck at eyeballing those comparison pics.. i dont see huge differences

1080i is for douchebags

#2170 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

Conflicted on Gladiator. Why would such a highly anticipated release have such a bad transfer? You'd think that they would want to take their time with this one.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#2171 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:10 PM

i guess i just suck at eyeballing those comparison pics.. i dont see huge differences

You don't see the fireball missing in the middle of the frame? Perhaps you should stick to SelectaVision... 8-)

#2172 downwardspiral

downwardspiral

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

I see the fireball in the middle but the one on the right just seems so much crisper. Look at the bottom corner with the flame or just the arrows scattered about.

#2173 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

You're missing the fact that the Blu-ray REMOVED that fireball and various arrows. Elements are actually missing from the film.

#2174 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

Luckily, I never have had a desire to watch Gladiator again.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#2175 guyver2077

guyver2077

CAG Original

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

You don't see the fireball missing in the middle of the frame? Perhaps you should stick to SelectaVision... 8-)

That i did catch. i was referring to the AVS link with the hd comparisons.

1080i is for douchebags

#2176 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

Some pretty major EE is going on is various screencaps. This should hit reviewers hands today or tomorrow...unless Paramount decides to hold it back (Star Trek).

#2177 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

It depends on what you're looking at.

If it's the first post, that's the point. The HDTV versions look a bit better than the Blu-Ray.

Scroll down and look at the post that compares the normal film to the extended edition scenes. If you can't see the difference in those, there is no helping you.

#2178 weevles

weevles

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

So for Gladiator, are we to assume these screen caps are from the final, finished cut for release? And is it safe to assume whoever was responsible for the transfer used some kind of automated software DNR? Seems like they just ran it through some algorhythms without even checking it. I mean, how else can you explain the completely missing images from some of those captures?

#2179 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

I canceled my pre-order for Gladiator...I'll pick it up when it's $15 or less...or I might bite on the UK SteelBook :-k

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#2180 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

So for Gladiator, are we to assume these screen caps are from the final, finished cut for release? And is it safe to assume whoever was responsible for the transfer used some kind of automated software DNR? Seems like they just ran it through some algorhythms without even checking it. I mean, how else can you explain the completely missing images from some of those captures?

Yes. And from what I've been reading, they used an old master that already had DNR and EE, and then using some sort of scratch repair process which then took out the arrows and all that good stuff.

#2181 weevles

weevles

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

Ugh. Well, I'm not double-dipping Gladiator then. If I want to play spot the differences, I'll just get a sub to Highlights for Children. :p

#2182 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Yes. And from what I've been reading, they used an old master that already had DNR and EE, and then using some sort of scratch repair process which then took out the arrows and all that good stuff.

Inexcusable.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#2183 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

Looks like Gladiator is a rent for me.

seanr1221.png

#2184 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

I canceled my pre-order for Gladiator...I'll pick it up when it's $15 or less...or I might bite on the UK SteelBook :-k

The UK release will be identical - Universal handled the encode.

#2185 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:14 PM

Don't expect any reviews either - they have not even been received by the people who send them out to reviewers. The earliest, possibly, would be Friday, but maybe not till Monday. Anyone remember how the Star Trek set went? Haha

#2186 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:20 PM

The UK release will be identical - Universal handled the encode.

Oh yeah, I figured that much. I know it's still an upgrade of the DVD minus certain objects :bomb: but if I'm going to buy it at launch I'm saying I'd rather get the SteelBook or wait till it's under $15.

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#2187 weevles

weevles

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:51 AM

Don't expect any reviews either - they have not even been received by the people who send them out to reviewers. The earliest, possibly, would be Friday, but maybe not till Monday. Anyone remember how the Star Trek set went? Haha

Conspiracy? lol. I guess no matter what, Universal/Paramount are too far gone to do anything about this release. If all the pre-launch hoopla is true, then it really doesn't speak well for this "Sapphire Series" label they are trying to market.

#2188 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:56 AM

The fight between AVS and Blu-ray.com is far more interesting then Gladiator getting DNR/EE'ed. I've never laughed so hard regarding "no, they are wrong" before.

#2189 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:09 AM

Conspiracy? lol. I guess no matter what, Universal/Paramount are too far gone to do anything about this release. If all the pre-launch hoopla is true, then it really doesn't speak well for this "Sapphire Series" label they are trying to market.

What is really sad is this image

That really looks like some automated software removing what it mistakenly perceives to be scratches but not where they overlap a still object.

If so, Sapphire Series label = GARBAGE.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#2190 weevles

weevles

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

Hehe, the bickering is rather humorous indeed. As is that image of the spears...er, well, what's left of the spears anyway. >_<