How or Where Do I Determine the Value of my PC?

dman1869

CAGiversary!
Feedback
85 (100%)
Pretty much, what the title says. Is there a website that gives approximations on value of computers? I am selling a Dell PC but I'm not sure what it's worth. It's my wife's PC that her dad got her but I'm not sure what the specs are. So far what I know for sure is that it's a:

1. Dell Dimension E310
2. Pentium 4HT
3. Windows XP Media Center Edition
4. 17" LCD Screen
5. 150 GB Harddrive
6. Wireless keyboard and mouse
7. DVD writer/burner
8. Wired Speakers

Thanks for any help.

Probably low $200ish...

Computers are reaaally cheap right now. You can get a nice desktop for $500. The depreciation on the value of technology is ridiculous, even though your computer is probably around 4 years old.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Probably low $200ish...

Computers are reaaally cheap right now. You can get a nice desktop for $500. The depreciation on the value of technology is ridiculous, even though your computer is probably around 4 years old.[/QUOTE]

That sounds about right.

After ten seconds on Google, I found this review. It (or at least the baseline model) was a $500 computer three years ago, so it won't be worth a ton of money now.

You'll need to factor in what upgrades you've made (increased RAM, hard drive, etc.), expandability options (PCI, PCI-Express [1x, 8x, 16x]), time of purchase. A quick google scan says the baseline model runs for about $500 but that was in 2005 and w/o monitor & speaker. Plus, its motherboard only has 2 PCI slots & one PCI-E slot at 1x so that means no graphics card support and onboard graphics only. Optimistically, in terms of 2nd hand sale, I'd say you'd maybe get $250 for it (not including monitor & speakers).

Truthfully, you'd be better off scavaging it for parts for a new computer. I'd save the hard drive, burner, keyboard & mouse, & monitor as they're the things that can readily migrate to a new PC. The CPU is nice at 3 Ghz but you'd hafta find a corresponding motherboard to go w/ it so that one could go either way.

Thanks for the help guys. BTW, the computer is only about 2-3 years old and we'll be getting a laptop so we won't need the monitor or anything else. I think I will probably sell it to a friend of mine with everything together.

Also, when I check the system info screen it says Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz 2.79GHz, 504MB of RAM.

bread's done
Back