CAGcast #132: Mediocrely Average

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:54 AM

Cheapy returns from his summer PAX vacation to find a feisty Wombat and a small pile of games waiting for him (Too Human, Mercanaries 2, Tiger Woods 09). We tackle a bunch of interesting topics along with new releases, the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Listen for details on how to win 1 of 4 $100 GameStop gift cards!
Posted Image

Review us on iTunes!
Join the CAGcast Facebook Group

Download - 110 minutes, 44MB
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Picture!
Posted Image

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
http://www.cheapassg...t/cagsonews.mp3

Edited by CheapyD, 08 September 2008 - 05:19 AM.

#2 JMEPO

JMEPO

Drakes Deception

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:29 AM

Big Ass Chains!

Edited by JMEPO, 08 September 2008 - 11:02 PM.

#3 TiE23

TiE23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:34 AM

Aaaa, about time, I knew camping out on the home page would work... Getting it through Zune software... now (yeah, laugh all you want). :V

Now to ... coff ... listen to this "every day" in the walk-in cooler I work in. Yes, on repeat, har har.

#4 daphatty

daphatty

VTEC Bitches!

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:09 AM

Downloading now. iTunes FTW!

Edit: Here are some photos I took of Cheapy and his fanbase at the PAX discussion panel. Mrs. Cheapy and I had a good laugh at Cheapy's celeb status. I just wish I had a photo of the guy who asked for Cheapy's autograph!

http://picasaweb.goo...529188120877570

Edit #2: Jesus, since when did Wombat become the vocabulary police?! Who gives a shit about the use of Average?!?!

Edit #3: Sorry Wombat, but your interpretation about the "public access to E3" rumor is WAY off. Cheapy is correct regarding the reason why E3 as we once knew it is no more. Smaller developers/publishers are being charged hundreds of thousands of dollars every year to be members of the ESA. Sony, MS, and Nintendo are likely paying out millions per year. The only solution is for the ESA to open E3 to the public and apply the ticket proceeds to offset the annual fees for its members.

Edited by daphatty, 08 September 2008 - 07:27 AM.

Posted Image

#5 StarWarpCrackerWave

StarWarpCrackerWave

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:12 AM

ah its good to have the show back nice way to end a great sunday and start off a monday
your trip looked great cheapy

#6 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:20 AM

36 minutes in, pretty entertaining so far.

Also, isn't the Edge card $14.99? Not $10 as you guys mentioned.

#7 striker199

striker199

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:24 AM

ahhh finally, I was backlogged on cagcasts and finished them all last week and been itching for a new one

#8 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:26 AM

36 minutes in, pretty entertaining so far.

Also, isn't the Edge card $14.99? Not $10 as you guys mentioned.

Yes, my mistake. I kind of count on Wombat to correct me on that stuff since I'm 5,000 miles away from the nearest GameStop.
I had checked the GameStop website before the show, but they do not list the price.

It used to be $10 when it was EB. Sorry about that!

Also, I totally forgot to talk about CASTLE CRASHERS, which I finished this weekend. Oh well, there is always next week.
Hopefully I can get the online working by then.

#9 LonelyController

LonelyController

lonelycontroller.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:47 AM

Yay, the cagcast is back!

#10 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:04 AM

lulz@ mediocre vs. average.

#11 paintball745

paintball745

PHD in deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:15 AM

nice show as always kinda sad there wasnt a picture of tai's hitler haircut.

#12 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:44 AM

Word Association is bad. Use numbers or stars, no words. Excellent to Good is a great leap, but people will try to figure out where Great is. Don't confuse the people with simple words.

EDIT: For the sake of Wombat, "My definition of average is..."

I won't go farther than that.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#13 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:02 AM

This show was average. You might want to say it was "ok" for the middle score or you could just totally rip off old school Gamepro all the way and steal their cool freak faces.

P.S. average means normal too.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#14 raistlin

raistlin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:13 AM

I thought Wombat was being a bit argumentative in the show. Arguing silly things like semantics or whether or not sales would go up or down if publishers stopped letting Gamestop carry their titles. But I guess we all have our off days. Cheapy can be the same same at times.

Overall a good show though. Hopefully I can catch you guys Thursday on the live show, I'm not quiet. =)

Edited by raistlin, 08 September 2008 - 07:36 AM.

#15 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

Here's an interesting question: When the console industry goes all digital with their games, who's going to sell their consoles?

Are you telling me retailers are going to be happy with the games industry taking away a portion of their sales? I highly doubt it. I say that you will see a major push from retailers when the industry does this, and console sales will hurt for a while.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#16 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

This show was average. You might want to say it was "ok" for the middle score or you could just totally rip off old school Gamepro all the way and steal their cool freak faces.

P.S. average means normal too.

You rang? ;)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I would have alternated Cheapy and Wombat head edits but that's a lot of work, and I'm lazy. :oops:

So, this episode's a Posted Image?

I haven't listened to it as it's downloading on iTunes right now so I get to listen to it tomorrow.

Edited by chasemurata, 08 September 2008 - 07:57 AM.
to save space

#17 raistlin

raistlin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:01 AM

Here's an interesting question: When the console industry goes all digital with their games, who's going to sell their consoles?

Are you telling me retailers are going to be happy with the games industry taking away a portion of their sales? I highly doubt it. I say that you will see a major push from retailers when the industry does this, and console sales will hurt for a while.

The industry will just evolve. Instead of selling games they will sell point cards like they do now, but you will see this happen in much larger numbers.

As a consumer though I think it royally sucks. Why? Because as a digital download the games I purchase are not worth the hardrive space they take up. Where physical games are worth atleast 30% of the value I paid for them for a while.

Take my most recent experience for example. I was able to trade in my entire collection of DS games, 2 DS Lite consoles along with 1 PSP a few PSP games and a few Wii games which gave me a grand total of almost $800. I was then able to purchase a brand new PS3 MGS4 bundle (didn't pay **any tax because it was a trade purchase) and a butt load of games.

So Now I'm a proud owner of a PS3 and have a great start on a new collection all because of old stuff I wasn't playing anymore. How great is that?

Had all those games been digital this would not have been possible.

#18 level1online

level1online

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:41 AM

CheapyD said "I would vote for Jesse Ventura"

Just a little FYI, at the Rally for the Republic, Gov. Ventura did hint at a 2012 run.

Anyways, great show. I just picked up one of those $200 Arcade bundles. Thanks

btw, here's a clip of Ventura's recent speech.

#19 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

:lol: @ Wombat thinking Daphatty was black.

The problem with Wombat's "simple" method of getting the average game score is that many games don't get reviewed at all because most game sites ignore the crap Wii and DS games that show up at Walmart, so how can you have an average of all of the games that are released when a lot of them are not reviewed? The scales are automatically tipped in the favor of higher scores because the dreck is rarely dipped into for reviews.

Call the middle score the "Wombat," so if you're using words for the scale, "Wombat" should be in the middle.

I have to say the only part of the SOCOM beta I'd hate the developers for is that I've yet to get the beta code email I signed up back on August 12th, so I got lucky that another CAG offered up an extra code that he had, which he was able to register and receive within minutes. There's no excuse to not have sent out all of the beta code emails to everybody that preordered and signed up on the beta site two or three days after it has started. I can forgive server issues, as long as they're fixed for the full release, but that is just ridiculous.

I'm considering a PSP 3000 since my original PSP is broken, or at least the power switch is. The lighter, slimmer build, better screen, and mic are reason enough for me to fork over the money to get one.

Good show. I'll definitely show up for the live show this week since I had no clue you did a second one a few weeks ago.

Edit: Just booted the SOCOM beta up and in the options, Cheapy, you can actually set the region you want to play in, so you shouldn't have any trouble with playing with CAGs in the US when you get in the beta.

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 08 September 2008 - 10:20 AM.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#20 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

Downloading now. iTunes FTW!

Edit #3: Sorry Wombat, but your interpretation about the "public access to E3" rumor is WAY off. Cheapy is correct regarding the reason why E3 as we once knew it is no more. Smaller developers/publishers are being charged hundreds of thousands of dollars every year to be members of the ESA. Sony, MS, and Nintendo are likely paying out millions per year. The only solution is for the ESA to open E3 to the public and apply the ticket proceeds to offset the annual fees for its members.

I am not wrong, no other major convention shares the money from ticket sales with it's vendors. The game companies do make their money back, its called game sales. See the point of the show its to promote their games, if they feel the money they are spending at E3 doesn't equate to games sales, then need to revise the show so it does. Sharing ticket sale money is asinine. If game game companies are really spending millions imagine how much tickets will cost.

#21 pop311

pop311

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

YAYYYYY!!!!!!! Cheapy's back!!!! I (we?) missed you.

#22 wiiheat

wiiheat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

The word you guys are looking for is "Par". Wombat, AKA Mr. Aspergers, is hung up on the literal meaning of "Average". Cheapy is playing loosely with it, same as, well, everyone else reviewing games. Mediocre is FAR too pejorative and dismissive. "Par" describes that the game delivers the minimum of what should be expected given the current field, no more, no less. No, I don't play golf, I just know stuff.

#23 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

The word you guys are looking for is "Par". Wombat, AKA Mr. Aspergers, is hung up on the literal meaning of "Average". Cheapy is playing loosely with it, same as, well, everyone else reviewing games. Mediocre is FAR too pejorative and dismissive. "Par" describes that the game delivers the minimum of what should be expected given the current field, no more, no less. No, I don't play golf, I just know stuff.

That works for me.

As far as others before you cpmplain about my definitionof Average answer these three question:

What is an Average temperature for a day in your hometown in September?

What is an Average salary for your state?

What is an Average score for a videogame?

#24 DJSteel

DJSteel

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

TNA Wrestling has a lot of former WWE superstars:
- Kurt Angle
- Booker T
- BG James/Kip James - New Age Outlaws
- Christian Cage - Christian (Edge's old Tag Team partner)
- Scott Steiner
- Kevin Nash
- Jeff Jarrett
- Team 3D - The Dudley Boyz
- Rhyno
- Jay Lethal - Perfect Imitator of Randy Macho man Savage.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Mario kart Wii Code - 4597-0827-2394

#25 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

Damn it to hell! Why do you guys post the new episodes after I leave for work?! Oh, well. Gotta wait until tomorrow morning to listen.:D

#26 ajm1240

ajm1240

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

I think Wombat is not wrong in that "average" is a poor descriptor.

But, not for the reason he thinks it's poor. His reasoning is nit-picking at best and just makes him sound similar to the geek amoung geeks who wants to correct everyone else's pronunciation of Klingon words. It's all semantics. Everyone knows what is meant, but he just has to correct the others. In a 5 point scale, the meaning of a 3 star score called "average" is easy to understand and Wombat's freak-out was just overkill.

I think the problem is that Americans are raised on a grading scale in school were a "C" grade of 70-79% is called "Average" and that does not match what most reviewers consider an average score. I think Wombat has over-thought the whole issue.

I like the 5 point scale and/or the 1 up letter grade scale.

Edited by ajm1240, 08 September 2008 - 02:25 PM.

Posted Image

#27 felixlighter

felixlighter

Post Pruner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure why Wombat feels so strongly about the use of the word average, when not referring to the mathematical definition. Here is Webster's definition:

Main Entry:
average
Function:
adjective
Date:

1: equaling an arithmetic mean2 a: being about midway between extremes <a man of average height>b: not out of the ordinary : common <the average person>
— av·er·age·ly adverb
— av·er·age·ness noun

The definition I highlighted is the one Cheapy was using for his review scale, which is completely appropriate.

Edited by felixlighter, 08 September 2008 - 07:38 PM.

Posted Image

#28 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

I did vote for Jesse Ventura. :)

#29 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

I was at PAX and kinda looked for Cheapy. I never saw him, but never really looked. I guess I figured a tall, bald guy would stick out. I left Sunday morning and didn't make it to the panel at the Walrus corner.

I did see people from 1up, Giant Bomb, Morgan Webb and Adam Sessler and MS people like Major Nelson, Trixie and Gamerscore Blog dudes.

#30 rogueweapon

rogueweapon

FREEyourMIND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the Jaime Lynne Spears update Wombat. You don't have to live in Japan to avoid that garbage. Just turn off the tv. I barely watch tv, and I sure as hell don't get my news form that propaganda machine FOX. btw Wombot won that average argument. If anyone wants a great bluetooth headset check out the jawbone. ecost.com has it for $59.
Posted Image

GET SMART, sub my videos & favorites on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/rogueweapon

@rogueweapon twitter
http://www.twitter.com/rogueweapon