CAGcast #132: Mediocrely Average

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#31 Kfoster1979

Kfoster1979

Fanboys Suck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

Wombat, normally I agree with you on most things, but your hatred of the use of average was way off. Your stuck on the mathematical meaning, but (and as shown above) when used as an adjective its appropriate.

For me when ever I talk about an "average" game I say something like. It was OK, a least in my mind that's between Good and bad.

We could always go with a scale of: Terrible, Bad, OK, Good, Great, it's simple and easy to understand. Of course that might be just as bad as the DHS terror scale.

Good show guys!

[B]3DS FC 1977-0174-5552
Follow me on Twitter
Posted Image

#32 LittleWildman

LittleWildman

I R Drummer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

Happy Birthday tomorrow Cheapy, I honestly remembered your birthday the instant I pressed play on my iPod for the CAGcast. Buy hey it's nice to know someone cares lol
Posted Image

#33 dubbfoolio

dubbfoolio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:06 PM

I completely agree with Wombat that "mediocre" is a more specific definition of what you're looking for in your review scale, but with that said I think it has an unintended negative connotation not associated with the word "average" as used in most reviews.

#34 gigastormz

gigastormz

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:35 PM

I've never written in before, but I felt the need to after listening to this weeks show. What the Fuck is up with the bickering between Wombat and Cheapy?! Arguing about whether "average" or "mediocre" is the correct term to describe a game thats inbetween good and bad. Big fucking deal!! I think we all know what you mean when you use either term.

And what's with Cheapy giving Wombat shit about not having access to the list of new releases in the outline? If you know that Wombat is not a moderator and does not have access to that forum, how hard is it to click "Control+C" and "Control+V" and put the list in the outline?! Also, shouldn't Wombat BE a moderator by now? I'm still a fairly new CAG and I don't use the forums much, but one would assume that a co-host of the podcast would at the very least be a moderator.

Every week now you guys seem to be bitching at each other about the stupidest shit. Settle the Fuck down and get on with the show!

Wombat & Cheapy: Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise is fucking addicting as hell, and its a total blast. Yes, the game is very similar to the first one, but there are enough changes to the game and enough new things to warrant the $40 price tag. I picked it up on Thursday and my girlfriend and I have been playing the game almost non-stop. If we aren't sleeping, the 360 is on and we are playing Viva Pinata: TiP. Wombat: To send a Pinata off to a party, you need to fill up its candiosity meter. To do this you can do many things like naming them, feeding them items, or purchasing candy from Costalot's store.

Also, keep your politics out of my VIDEO GAME podcasts please.

Posted Image

#35 WalkinPneumonia

WalkinPneumonia

Professional Cheap @$$

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:55 PM

I have to agree with Wombat here. Of course I think that reviews shouldn't have a number scale, but instead should just say at what price you would recommend the game. That's really all I care about. How much should I pay for a specific game, full price or rent or wait for a price drop.
Posted Image

#36 prence

prence

Yeah, I'm pretty awesome.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

I laughed hysterically at "they don't sell contraception in Alaska."
Remote parties restarted the matchmaking process.

#37 seakae

seakae

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:53 PM

I realize what you're trying to say Wombat, but I think you're being a little too fascistic about the use of the word. I'm the same way, on occasion. Like the use of the word, "epic."

Your chocolate milk is not epic, child. It may taste delicious. It may even be excellent in its deliciousness, but that shit is not epic. Shut. The Fuck. Up.

#38 Cidtalk

Cidtalk

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

Fatties!!?? What is your problem?

#39 jello00

jello00

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

That episode was soooooo average....

just kidding. it was above average. Good show guys.

(EDIT):
Wombat, the part with you arguing non-stop about E3 was EXTREMELY annoying to listen to and ending it with just "I know, but.... Nevermind" was just totally lame and pointed out the ridiculousness of all your arguing.

Now I have a headache.

Edited by jello00, 08 September 2008 - 09:26 PM.

#40 4nik8tor

4nik8tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:34 PM

cheap = buy it cheap
ass = crap, shit, ass. - at the very most, a rental
gamer = buy it! there is enough content in this game that will keep you playing for a month.

problem solved.

#41 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

Your chocolate milk is not epic, child. It may taste delicious. It may even be excellent in its deliciousness, but that shit is not epic. Shut. The Fuck. Up.

Sounds like something that came straight out of Penny Arcade, they should put that line in Episode 2.

#42 seakae

seakae

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

Another thing...
I listened to the rest of the podcast, and I gotta say something.
Wombat, man. I realize you have a baby. And you're probably not getting enough action, but jeebus the tension you're emitting is obnoxious. Recommendation? Wax one off before starting the podcast.

#43 BoneMonkey80

BoneMonkey80

Bonetastic!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

no xbox 360 price drop discussion?
Posted Image

#44 Bug Hunter

Bug Hunter

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

I agree with Wombat's argument that "mediocre" is better to use than "average" when it comes to describing games. In the way he did it was a bit annoying, almost yelling at Cheapy to get his point across. Other than that the show was pretty good.

P.S. Nice to hear from you again Cheapy.
Posted Image

#45 SnotRocket

SnotRocket

$20? To much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

I agree with Wombat on the scoring name convention. An average game, means you have to have a Perfect game and a totally garbage game to make an average game. I can see both sides of the story but to say something is average means there is also something perfect, and we all know there are very few perfect games in creation. I see it as an issue because there are to many reviewers who give games an average score and only give 1 game a year a perfect score. It's just labeling a game average in conjunction with giving other games crap as a score or perfect can mislead a reader.

I don't know where I stand on the used game issue. I want to say it is a problem since only 1 person needs to purchase a game and 4-5 others can buy it used and play the same copy. The game company only sees the initial $60 but EBgames makes anywhere from $200+ profit on that one copy. I can see how the game companies are crying because it's become so huge these days. I can't see how people will trade in a game for $5 store credit then the store sells it for $30+, this is the huge issue that burns me.

banner1.gif
fss_overall.png

#46 pop311

pop311

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

Another great show. I start to go into withdrawal if I don't get my CAGcast fix every week, so, needless to say, the last week was, well, tough. I wished that you had been able to answer my question in the CAGbag, but i probably submitted it too late. Keep up the work a la good.

#47 Kuromimi

Kuromimi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

I just got done listening to the show and great show guys. Its nice and long... Ha!
Posted Image

#48 TheEyecon

TheEyecon

Red Sox Pride!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

it feels like a year since I downloaded CAGcast #131
great show as usual guys, keep up the great work.
Posted Image

#49 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

The first podcast to ever make me slightly angry.

one of the definitions as per any dictionary:

Average
-Adjective
typical; common; ordinary

Yes, it is one of MANY definitions, but Wombat treats the use of the word like a noun, acting as if there couldn't possibly be any other use of the word.

A pure annoying close-minded temper tantrum.

Keep your rating system "Average". Stay strong Cheapy.

#50 zenprime

zenprime

A cat is fine too

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

Finally another CAGcast. I was about to wonder if we'd get another.

LOL, I'm in some of daphatty's pictures. Speaking of next years PAX, I'd like to help set up something for CAGs coming into my town.

nyanya.gif

gallery_112191_5372_1370779853_8521.gif

#51 Magitek85

Magitek85

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:19 PM

Little did you realize Cheapy that you had invited the president of his schools math club to podcast with you.

#52 John

John

Illusive Programmer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:50 PM

Wombat - average isn't just another way of saying "arithmetic mean", it's an adjective too!

average
adjective
typical and usual:

The food was fairly average (= not excellent, although not bad).

mediocre
adjective DISAPPROVING
not very good:

The film's plot is predictable and the acting is mediocre.

Personally I think in this case average is a better fit, since it's in the middle of the scale. A lot of people seem to define mediocre as below average.

#53 WalkinPneumonia

WalkinPneumonia

Professional Cheap @$$

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

I realize what you're trying to say Wombat, but I think you're being a little too fascistic about the use of the word. I'm the same way, on occasion. Like the use of the word, "epic."

That's just awesome!
Posted Image

#54 sj41

sj41

That's Bitchin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, you guys are both badasses. $100 for a phone call is the best deal I've ever gotten. Thanks a lot guys. Any suggestions from you two on what I should get? I might pick up NHL 09 when I see it used and I can get it for 35% off to play with ya Cheapy. Even when it's free to me, I'm still a cheapass.

#55 XTommyDonX

XTommyDonX

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:55 PM

I'm going to have to agree with Wombat on the average vs. mediocre argument. The two words do not have the same meaning. What I assume most people associate "average" with is from school grades where grades of 70-79% are considered "C" grades, most often considered by teachers and students as average. 70-79% ratings for games are also associated with the word "average" because of this.

Wombat had a very nice idea of how average should work. However instead of using the average from all of the games that released this year (2008), the average should come from the previous year to avoid constant change from games that are comming out almost every day.

I don't feel that either Cheapy or Wombat is wrong, being that everyone has their own definition. But while a 70-79% may be the average for school grades, the ratio may in fact be lower or higher for other types of grading systems such as the one used for the video-game industry.

#56 NTolerance

NTolerance

Vich one of you is crying

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:13 PM

I'd like to see more focus on gaming than what was presented in this episode. The political commentary was unnecessary. Everyone is bombarded with that topic and we don't need yet another opinion about it. Tell us about your recent gaming exploits. In the past Cheapy has said that he's a fan of the first Mercenaries game. The sequel has been released and very little time was spent discussing the game.

Hell, if nothing is going on in the gaming world you can at least make fun of Wombat.

#57 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:27 PM

Wombat - average isn't just another way of saying "arithmetic mean", it's an adjective too!

average
adjective
typical and usual:

mediocre
adjective DISAPPROVING
not very good:

Personally I think in this case average is a better fit, since it's in the middle of the scale. A lot of people seem to define mediocre as below average.

my problem is, is thats a terrible way to describe a game, what does a potential consumer get from someone calling a game average? Do you recommend it or not? average doesn't say anything. I think Okay is a better word then average, there are days when I feel Okay, there are no days when I feel average.

#58 Smallville123

Smallville123

CAGetmedown!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:58 PM

my problem is, is thats a terrible way to describe a game, what does a potential consumer get from someone calling a game average? Do you recommend it or not? average doesn't say anything. I think Okay is a better word then average, there are days when I feel Okay, there are no days when I feel average.

I totally agree with you Wombat. When you say something is average you're saying the game plays fine but it doesn't do much to differentiate it self from the rest of the pack. Mediocre says this game is below what the game should be.
Insert clever line here......

#59 Bretts31344

Bretts31344

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:22 AM

Awesome show again. The Batman voice/growl was amazing!

#60 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:07 AM

I think Wombat had an edge to him in the show with Shipwreck, and he just continued that onto this show -- I liked it -- way to go Wombat!

But, I don't understand why you guys didn't address the issue regarding Amazon dropping its 30 day price protection -- there are a number of CAGs who think that's a significant item to discuss.
[cp][/cp]