Photo
- - - - -

Community Feedback Poll - Game Piracy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
658 replies to this topic

Poll: Should CAGs be allowed to post reviews/impressions of pirated software? (1799 member(s) have cast votes)

Should CAGs be allowed to post reviews/impressions of pirated software?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#631 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:48 PM

Well, disappointing as expected, and I'm not talking about the results.

Registered CAGs: 167,601, Active Members: 36,280

Voters: 1799.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#632 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:02 PM

Wow, surprised so few people voted.

#633 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!"

Let's start banning them pirate ass sons of bitches right back to the communist countries they come from!

Hey, let's overreact much while we're at it.

I actually think ~1800 votes is quite a few, given the circumstances of this site. You have to remember probably 10k+ people are one-offs, either because they are spambots or people who forgot they signed up. Then there's the dupe accounts when someone forgot their password, or they tried to get around a ban, etc. And the people who stop coming to CAG altogether. So on so on.

It's hovering around...what, 5%? About as good as could be expected.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#634 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

I suppose this poll is as valid as any other, but I think a lot of people voted no on Piracy as opposed to no on the actual issue the poll was about.

I'd like to see a "Which damages the Videogames industry more, Piracy or 2nd hand game sales?" poll, but I wouldn't blame Cheapy for not doing that, with CAGs current sponsors and all.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#635 botticus

botticus

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:36 PM

I suppose this poll is as valid as any other, but I think a lot of people voted no on Piracy as opposed to no on the actual issue the poll was about.

I'd like to see a "Which damages the Videogames industry more, Piracy or 2nd hand game sales?" poll, but I wouldn't blame Cheapy for not doing that, with CAGs current sponsors and all.

Well, I think a better question would be "Are used games as bad for the industry as piracy?" since I don't know that much of an argument could be made for it being worse. Would be a good debate though.

#636 Koggit

Koggit

almost sorry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

ITT: Proof that democracy sucks

The real question is how does anyone intend to know whether or not someone pirated the game for their review?

#637 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:19 AM

I know that I didn't vote because I thought the whole thing was stupid.

#638 Autumn Star

Autumn Star

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:15 AM

The real question is how does anyone intend to know whether or not someone pirated the game for their review?

Agreed completely.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#639 bubbafett4hire

bubbafett4hire

Drunkin Pirate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:23 AM

i think they're going to use the same intel sources that Bush used when looking for those WMD's

I am Sony's SQL. The nasty strangers touch me inappropriately because Sony is too busy selling overpriced products to buy me clothes.

#640 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:21 AM

i think they're going to use the same intel sources that Bush used when looking for those WMD's

The ones that also convinced many of the world's intelligence agencies and former President Bill Clinton?

#641 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:22 AM

The only thing worse than piracy discussions...political discussions. Help us, Lord...

#642 bubbafett4hire

bubbafett4hire

Drunkin Pirate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

no not trying to get political i just feel that none of those presidential bastards are any good anyway you only get 1 year out of them weather they be Republican or Democrat

Year one they have to kiss ass and make photo shoots as well as settling in to there new job
Year Two they have a scandals to worry about
Year Three they finely get some real work done
Year Four They have to start re-election campaign

but like i said , he said , and has been said over and over again they will never know if its a pirated copy or not

I am Sony's SQL. The nasty strangers touch me inappropriately because Sony is too busy selling overpriced products to buy me clothes.

#643 refusedchaos

refusedchaos

Here comes the lewd!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:43 PM

huh, didnt even know this thread existed.....i would have voted Yes

Join Points2Shop and get ANYTHING you want from Amazon!!!! (i have gotten $77, 5 PS3 games and 3 anime boxset so far!!!!!)

#644 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:57 PM

851 bans coming right up to solve this problem! :D

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#645 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:40 PM

And for good measure, ban the Tanuki.

#646 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:56 PM

I didn't vote yes, so that won't be necessary.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#647 evyrew

evyrew

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:34 AM

It is true that in most cases, we wouldn't know if someone was reviewing a pirated game or not... but it still doesn't justify the behavior. It's like saying it's okay to steal a car because you were going to write a review about it. This community is built around the central purpose of gamers who just want to save a few bucks. Condoning piracy removes the C from CAG.
Currently Playing: Halo: Reach, Borderlands, and Burnout: Paradise.

#648 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:34 AM

I didn't vote yes, so that won't be necessary.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#649 donkeydrop

donkeydrop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:24 AM

You just don't get it. The point is people want to get attention by posting about the game before it is even released. Why should a thief be allowed to do that? If you somehow got a legit copy before release date then post a photo; lots of sites do this.

#650 bubbafett4hire

bubbafett4hire

Drunkin Pirate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:30 AM

You just don't get it. The point is people want to get attention by posting about the game before it is even released. Why should a thief be allowed to do that? If you somehow got a legit copy before release date then post a photo; lots of sites do this.

a photo of the box or the receipt?

#651 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

a photo of the box or the receipt?

If this was the case, I'd say both, and maybe a piece of paper with your CAG user name on it for good measure.

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#652 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

If this was the case, I'd say both, and maybe a piece of paper with your CAG user name on it for good measure.

As well as your dental records.

#653 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:13 AM

Fingerprints.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#654 Skylander7

Skylander7

Accidental Engineer/Beer Snob

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

My review of Lego: Batman.

It is good. Batman is in it.

Oh wait, I can't post impressions of a game before release date without a receipt.. I swear, I swear, this eyepatch doesn't mean anything! I'm not worthy, I don't have your level of morality!!! Please don't swat at me with said interweb weaponry known as "banhammer."

#655 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

My review of Lego: Batman.

It is good. Batman is in it.

Oh wait, I can't post impressions of a game before release date without a receipt.. I swear, I swear, this eyepatch doesn't mean anything! I'm not worthy, I don't have your level of morality!!! Please don't swat at me with said interweb weaponry known as "banhammer."

Posted Image

#656 Koggit

Koggit

almost sorry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

Attention? They're getting attention?! DEAR GOD WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO!! I didn't realize attention from users of a video game forum on the internet was at stake! This is far more serious than I could've ever imagined. You're right, we can't let those bastards get away with such a fantastic reward for their despicable actions! Batten down the hatches, boys! This here's a war worth fightin'! Sink the attention-plundering pirate scum!

#657 carpwrist

carpwrist

√úbercharge Ready!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

Attention? They're getting attention?! DEAR GOD WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO!! I didn't realize attention from users of a video game forum on the internet was at stake! This is far more serious than I could've ever imagined. You're right, we can't let those bastards get away with such a fantastic reward for their despicable actions! Batten down the hatches, boys! This here's a war worth fightin'! Sink the attention-plundering pirate scum!

lolz!
He does have a point, it is pretty unfair for software pirates to taunt their advantages, especially if they're immoral about it. However... yeth, this is a cereal matter, like Manbearpig.
Saying you're really good at Borderlands is the equivalent to saying you suck at videogames.

That puts a genuine closed parenthesis at the end of my colon. :)

Posted Image

#658 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

Taunt their advantages?

So the real reason behind this is that people are jealous? good god..

Posted Image
Posted Image

#659 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

http://www.gamespot....ds&subj=6198159