Far Cry 2 Pre-order (360/PS3/PC) = $10 Gift Card at Amazon

Wow, Farcry 2 looks awesome...

Anyone know if the PC version is going to have "Activation" DRM?

I assume the best versions to get will be PC > PS3 > Xbox, but don't really know for sure. I'd rather have the PC version even if it were only equal (for the portability), but if it's got "activation" I'll have to decide between the other two...

Just an FYI, a few sites are now confirming that the Collector's Edition will also be released in the US. If it has the cool crate packaging that Europe is getting, this might be a CE that I actually am excited about.

[quote name='xbox_mole']This is limited to the first 5,000 pre-orders ONLY.[/quote]
i guess this happened? i dont see anything about a 10 dollar gc

edit: im retarded/wrong

hmmm....that's very tempting. but i've been trying to build my steam library for convenience when i am away from home/format hard drive/etc. but a $10 GC? what to do, what to do.

ubisoft products are notorious for dropping in price incredibly fast. The game looks nice and all but i can hold out until the holidays when the PC version hits $30. And mark my words it'll happen.

I'd rather have the gamestop bonus that the game comes with some bonuses and a steelbook case for $60. (aka they are pretty much upgrading preorders to limited for free). STEELBOOK!

[quote name='MikeHoncho']I'd rather have the gamestop bonus that the game comes with some bonuses and a steelbook case for $60. (aka they are pretty much upgrading preorders to limited for free). STEELBOOK![/quote]

I think that the Gamestop limited edition comes with the wooden box that Europe is getting. Also, no offense Cheapy, but there is already a thread of Amazon.com pre-order bonuses that include this deal.

[quote name='monkeyman67']I think that the Gamestop limited edition comes with the wooden box that Europe is getting. Also, no offense Cheapy, but there is already a thread of Amazon.com pre-order bonuses that include this deal.[/quote]
Nope that's just for Europe. The US pre order edition is a steelbook, I'll look for the pictures later though, I don't remember the website I saw them on

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Nope that's just for Europe. The US pre order edition is a steelbook, I'll look for the pictures later though, I don't remember the website I saw them on[/QUOTE]

The new PC Gamer magazine has a Far Cry 2 ad in it sponsored by Gamestop. It looks like the LE is available from other retailers and like Prince of Persia, the LE upgrade is free with pre-order. The only Gamestop specific bonus is some extra maps. There is no mention of a Steelbook, so I'd be curious where you got this info from.

[quote name='bojay1997']The new PC Gamer magazine has a Far Cry 2 ad in it sponsored by Gamestop. It looks like the LE is available from other retailers and like Prince of Persia, the LE upgrade is free with pre-order. The only Gamestop specific bonus is some extra maps. There is no mention of a Steelbook, so I'd be curious where you got this info from.[/quote]
I'll post a link as soon as I find it

farcry2metalboxlimitedeht1.jpg

Ubisoft announced today the release date of Far Cry 2 and an exclusive pre-order partnership with Gamestop. Below is the press release with the announcement:
UBISOFT CONFIRMS NORTH AMERICAN SHIP DATE FOR FAR CRY(r) 2 AND ANNOUNCES GAMESTOP EXCLUSIVE PRE-ORDER EDITION

SAN FRANCISCO - September 8, 2008 - Today Ubisoft announced that Far Cry 2(r) will ship to retailers nationwide on October 21, 2008. Far Cry 2 will be available on the Xbox 360(r) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PLAYSTATION(r)3 computer entertainment system and PC.

Additionally, Ubisoft announced an exclusive pre-order partnership with Gamestop; Pre-order the game at GameStop and automatically receive a Limited Edition version of Far Cry 2. This exclusive edition is regularly priced and is only available at GameStop.

In addition to the regular SKU, the GameStop Pre-Order Edition includes:
* 6 Bonus Missions with about 3 bonus hours of explosive gameplay
* A 50km fold out map of the open world of Far Cry 2 with key locations
* Exclusive game packaging

The "extra content" will most assuredly be available to download in a patch. The packaging is cosmetic. That leaves a paper map when you have a map in the game. Some exclusive they've got there. :roll:

If you absolutely had to buy it on launch day the $10 GC trumps that easily. If you dont believe that you're in the wrong forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the GameStop Far Cry 2 Preorder video

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/7711/Far-Cry-2-PreOrder-Trailer/

It shows the map but really doesn't say much about the extra missions.

[quote name='qwerty1']The "extra content" will most assuredly be available to download in a patch. The packaging is cosmetic. That leaves a paper map when you have a map in the game. Some exclusive they've got there. :roll:

If you absolutely had to buy it on launch day the $10 GC trumps that easily. If you dont believe that you're in the wrong forum.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I preordered from Amazon 2 days ago. I had a $5 gc, plus no tax, free shipping, & a $10 GC I couldn't resist.

I'm going to sign up for the free 1 month trial of Amazon Prime at the first of October

http://www.amazon.com/gp/subs/primeclub/signup/main.html/ref=pe_29690_10254050_pe_g1/

& change my shipping to 2 day. The upgrade to 1 Day shipping with Prime is only $4 more.

The GS promo isn't online & the nearest Gamestop store is an hour away from me. I'd have to drive there and reserve it, then drive back a month later to pick it up, plus tax.

[quote name='retail sucks']
farcry2metalboxlimitedeht1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI, that picture did not accompany the US press release. That's a picture of the steelbook exclusive to one UK store chain. I am starting to doubt we will be getting a Steelbook over here. Gamestop only mentions the map and missions on their site now. Usually, a Steelbook is considered a big selling point. It looks like we might just get a different "limited edition" cover at Gamestop, not a Steelbook. If that turns out to be the case, I won't be preordering this game.

[quote name='bojay1997']Gamestop only mentions the map and missions on their site now.[/QUOTE]

It's also interesting (and upsetting) to note that currently only the page for the 360 version makes any mention of the limited edition.

EDIT: Nevermind, the PS3 page has been updated with info about the limited edition. Nothing for the PC yet though.

[quote name='rainking187']It's also interesting (and upsetting) to note that currently only the page for the 360 version makes any mention of the limited edition.

EDIT: Nevermind, the PS3 page has been updated with info about the limited edition. Nothing for the PC yet though.[/QUOTE]

I emailed them 2 days ago asking if this would be available online which it wasn't at the time. This was the response:

Dear Valued Customer,

Currently we are in talks with Ubisoft regarding this particular promotion. Unfortunately we can not give out any details until the official announcement is released by Gamestop. Check back on www.gamestop.com early this coming week for more details.

Best regards,

Justin

Ok, I think I'm going insane. I went to preorder the PS3 version earlier, and they'd removed the info about the limited edition. I just checked it again and now it's back up. I think I might wait a few days to see what's going on before I preorder now.

Just an update, all three versions of the game have new cover art on GameStop.com, it's the same cover as the image posted by retail sucks except there's a little red blob under Far Cry 2 on the front that says "GameStop Preorder Edition" on it. I hope that's not on the final product. The PC version still makes no mention of the limited edition, but it's got the same "GameStop Preorder Edition" on the front as the other two. Also for anyone interested they updated the Prince of Persia cover art to the limited edition cover a couple of days ago.

[quote name='rainking187']Just an update, all three versions of the game have new cover art on GameStop.com, it's the same cover as the image posted by retail sucks except there's a little red blob under Far Cry 2 on the front that says "GameStop Preorder Edition" on it. I hope that's not on the final product. The PC version still makes no mention of the limited edition, but it's got the same "GameStop Preorder Edition" on the front as the other two. Also for anyone interested they updated the Prince of Persia cover art to the limited edition cover a couple of days ago.[/QUOTE]

Wow. If that's what they end up going with, I will go ahead and wait until this game hits $20 a year from now. Why give Europe a cool Steelbook and crate and all we get is a banner on the normal paper insert? I am still going back and forth on Prince of Persia since I like the look of the limited edition cover art, even though I know the regular version will hit $30 or so by January like Assassins Creed did.

[quote name='aznguyen316']hmm $10 amazon gc or LE from GS.. damn I'd even save anotehr $5 from amazon thanks to no tax.[/quote]

I hear ya. I went with Amazon because I'm cheap, the extra missions are the only thing that sounds good out of the Gamestop preorder deal and they'll probably eventually be free DLC (I hope), and finally, because I don't have to go to Gamestop (I'm not a fan)...

I'm thinking the same thing. I could save $15 from amazon, I have prime going on so it's only a two day wait.. I'm gonna wait until this afternoon and see if I finally got it into my gold box, even better, if not it's okay.

bread's done
Back