The DS Single-Cart Multiplayer Experience

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
I would like to compile a list of DS games, much like [thread=155673]this thread[/thread], that exceed in the use of single-cart multiplayer games. The reason I ask this & want to do this is because the games that are great on single-cart seem to feel a little bit more worth it, imo.

Two of my favorite single-cart games are Mario Part DS and Clubhouse Games.
The reason being that the multiplayer in both games are fun, and they don't take away anything from the people who do not own the game. I am not 100% sure in what you get in multi-cart gameplay compared to single-cart gameplay in Clubhouse Games... but we have played this a lot and it seems to offer a lot. Mario Party probably offers the most single-cart experience because it provides the full game to the other 3 players.

So maybe we can work together and come up with a great list of games based soley on the single-cart experience.

Do NOT recommend games that are "just great", because we have a [thread=155673]thread[/thread] for the great games on the DS. Do NOT recommend games that just ARE single-cart. This is not about "what games are single-cart", this is only meant to fine the best and most enjoyable experience from single-cart multiplayer games.

--
We can also discuss & debate the differences between the single-cart vs multi-cart in some games. For example, I LOATHE Mario Kart single-cart. They seem to offer nothing. From what I remember, they offered like 1 or 2 (maybe 3?) tracks to play on..and the people without a game only could choose Shy Guy. :wall: C'mon now.

Now, what do you guys think?

New Super Mario Bros. has one of my all time favorite multiplayer experiences using a single cart.

well why not have a MASTER list at the OP.

I say put all the games that offer single cart multiplay but have the "good" ones in another list.

I think this is a good resource to have, and should be stickied!

I encourage lilboo to do this, great idea.

anyways, from what I have... just naming ones that do have it....

mario 64 DS
Bomberland touch 1 & 2
Worms 2
starfox command
chocobo tales
mario party Ds
metroid pinball
sonic rush 1 & 2
custom robo
rocket slime
zelda: phantom hourglass
lunar knights
bleach blade of fate

ok... looked through everything i have... hope this helps, haven't really played any multiplayer... no one has a DS... but myself.

[quote name='xycury']well why not have a MASTER list at the OP.

I say put all the games that offer single cart multiplay but have the "good" ones in another list.

I think this is a good resource to have, and should be stickied!

I encourage lilboo to do this, great idea.

anyways, from what I have... just naming ones that do have it....

mario 64 DS
Bomberland touch 1 & 2
Worms 2
starfox command
chocobo tales
mario party Ds
metroid pinball
sonic rush 1 & 2
custom robo
rocket slime
zelda: phantom hourglass
lunar knights
bleach blade of fate

ok... looked through everything i have... hope this helps, haven't really played any multiplayer... no one has a DS... but myself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! At least SOMEONE is responding with more then A word.

Also, again, I'm not looking for JUST single-cart games.. I only want to make a list of the games that play a lot and are fun with 2-4 people..with only 1 cart. That's a real CAG way :cool:

[quote name='lilboo']Thanks! At least SOMEONE is responding with more then A word.

Also, again, I'm not looking for JUST single-cart games.. I only want to make a list of the games that play a lot and are fun with 2-4 people..with only 1 cart. That's a real CAG way :cool:[/quote]

What did you expect? It seems like you want to build a comprehensive list, but are being pretty picky/exclusive about it. You yourself only named 3 titles in the original post. The subset of DS games that support single-card is "small" and the number of "good" ones is smaller still. I agree with xycury that a better way to incite discussion would have been to compile a master list in the OP the best you can, and leave it to the consensus of the forum to parse through the best of the best (or add to the master list anything you missed).

Besides, everyone's tastes are different. For me, the two best single-cart games are Bomberman (up to 8 players) and Metroid Pinball. Metroid Pinball's multiplayer mode is pretty stripped down compared the examples you gave, but it's something my friends and I can play for hours.

The two single-cart multiplayer games that my SO and I keep going back are WordJong and Tetris DS.
Both are really addictive and have tons of gameplay options.

:whistle2:k
I actually did a search for "single" and nothing came up for me (didn't want to make a repost). CAG search engine sucks :wall:

Mario Party > All :nottalking:
(but still open to suggestions :bouncy:)

--

But seriously, we can work on making a list of games that offer it..and then making a 'best of' from what we have. It could be very resourceful.

[quote name='lilboo']Mario Party > All[/quote]

You know, after you so vehemently defended it in that other thread I actually bought Mario Party DS...and I think it's crap.

It might be the least engaging multiplayer game I've ever played.

I'm just sayin'. ;)

[quote name='bmachine']You know, after you so vehemently defended it in that other thread I actually bought Mario Party DS...and I think it's crap.

It might be the least engaging multiplayer game I've ever played.

I'm just sayin'. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ya know, I agree. I don't think Mario Party DS is great, HOWEVER, in terms of what they offer for single-cart play, I find it amazing. Being able to play a full mario party game with 4 people and 1 game = $$

[quote name='tiredfornow']Mario Kart has single cart multi, but its pretty limited.[/QUOTE]

Mario Kart made me so mad because it was too limited, :(

[quote name='lilboo']Ya know, I agree. I don't think Mario Party DS is great, HOWEVER, in terms of what they offer for single-cart play, I find it amazing. Being able to play a full mario party game with 4 people and 1 game = $$
[/quote]

LOL...I wish you had made yourself clearer before I had dropped $30 on it! :D

[quote name='johnnypark']Namco Museum! You get the crazy 4-player Pacman. Puyo Pop Fever is quite fun, too.[/quote]

I've never heard of Puyo Pop, but multiplayer Pacman sounds like fun...might have to check that one out.

Tetris DS has insane single-cart, if you can find it. (Up to ten players!)

Space Invaders Extreme single-cart has all of the features of multicart gameplay AFAIK. Space Invaders Extreme's multiplayer is somewhat limited, but I find it pretty fun and addictive.

Bust-A-Move DS has a pretty good vs. mode, and I believe you can go up to 5 players. Anything else I could think of has already been used.

Ya know what PEEVES me?!
When you look at a DS game online, (as in a retail store), it does not inform you of all the details. Some games will say "Up to 4 players can play"--but they don't let you know if it's single, multi, or both. IMO, this is a pretty big feature of the DS and should be utilized a bit more (in terms of advertising). Some games have it, but they don't even have it on the back of the box :whistle2:s

I know I was watching Mystery Case Files Millionheir videos on The Nintendo Channel, and it says how there IS a multiplayer mode (and you can even send a demo to your friends :whee:) but when I saw the back of the box..it does not say anything about single, or multi.. :wall:

[quote name='lilboo']Ya know what PEEVES me?!
When you look at a DS game online, (as in a retail store), it does not inform you of all the details. Some games will say "Up to 4 players can play"--but they don't let you know if it's single, multi, or both. IMO, this is a pretty big feature of the DS and should be utilized a bit more (in terms of advertising). Some games have it, but they don't even have it on the back of the box :whistle2:s
[/quote]

Is this common? I never paid much attention, but I'm pretty sure there are icons on there which indicate the multiplayer status. Maybe you're just not looking hard enough. Look here for examples:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/ds/multiplayer.jsp

I know, I've seen that! At the top right corner of the box it'll give you a box for each feature.
For example, right now I have a copy of Worms 2 Open Warefar in my hand.
On the back right hand corner of the box there are 2 boxes:
"1-2 Wireless DS Single-Card Download Play"
"2-4 Wireless DS Multi-Card Play"

Some games only say multi, some games say single, some games say "Rumble Pack compatible (not included), and others have nothing.

Also, it's not about FINDING these. I'm talking about looking at games in stores online--like Amazon. If you don't know much about the game, the website doesn't let you know if it's single, multi, rumble pack, or nothing at all. That's what I'm annoyed about.

[quote name='lilboo']I know, I've seen that! At the top right corner of the box it'll give you a box for each feature.
For example, right now I have a copy of Worms 2 Open Warefar in my hand.
On the back right hand corner of the box there are 2 boxes:
"1-2 Wireless DS Single-Card Download Play"
"2-4 Wireless DS Multi-Card Play"

Some games only say multi, some games say single, some games say "Rumble Pack compatible (not included), and others have nothing.

Also, it's not about FINDING these. I'm talking about looking at games in stores online--like Amazon. If you don't know much about the game, the website doesn't let you know if it's single, multi, rumble pack, or nothing at all. That's what I'm annoyed about.[/quote]

Agreed on this, it should be part of the description, if a cart can allow download play or not and requiring 4 carts for up to 4 people.

actually, is this even on the nintendo site? there's a flaw...

[quote name='lilboo'] I'm talking about looking at games in stores online--like Amazon. If you don't know much about the game, the website doesn't let you know if it's single, multi, rumble pack, or nothing at all. That's what I'm annoyed about.[/quote]

Ok, that's fair. That's really the fault of the individual stores though is it not? Besides, annoying it may be, I'm sure we're all internet savvy enough to figure out the multiplayer features any specific game might have.

[quote name='yayece']Ok, that's fair. That's really the fault of the individual stores though is it not? Besides, annoying it may be, I'm sure we're all internet savvy enough to figure out the multiplayer features any specific game might have.[/QUOTE]

Yes, BUT we might not know if a game will feature single-cart AND/OR multi-cart. Just by looking at Mario Party DS I would SWEAR that the game would be multi-card.

[quote name='lilboo']Yes, BUT we might not know if a game will feature single-cart AND/OR multi-cart. Just by looking at Mario Party DS I would SWEAR that the game would be multi-card.[/quote]

He said internet savvy. That means we can look it up on the web to find our answers re: multi-cart play before buying, not looking at the picture and making a decision based on that.

So, you're telling us all now that Mario Party DS is mediocre? Now we know what you're basing your criteria on: how much crap can be stuffed into a bad game.

RE: NAMCO MUSEUM:

It has Pac-Man Vs. included on it. It's the old Gamecube game that came packaged with one of the Pac-man world games. You had to hook up 1-4 GBAs to your GC in order to play it, but it was still a great game.

One person plays as Pac-man, the other 1-3 (4?) players are ghosts. If this is single-cart on Namco Museum DS, it's worth the $20 for Vs. alone.

[quote name='Kerig']He said internet savvy. That means we can look it up on the web to find our answers re: multi-cart play before buying, not looking at the picture and making a decision based on that.

So, you're telling us all now that Mario Party DS is mediocre? Now we know what you're basing your criteria on: how much crap can be stuffed into a bad game.

My suggestion: run out and buy Fuzion Frenzy 2 for the 360 because of the massive amount of games it has on it.[/QUOTE]

Where did you get that at? Just by knowing what Mario Party is, I would have thought the game was only multi-card OR would have a very limited single-cart. The fact that it offers full single-cart play IS awesome and it DOES add something to the game. Mario Party DS is OK at best as a single player experience, but it shines as a multiplayer game (as usual). If you have 3 other friends, this makes it a great game BECAUSE they all don't need the game as well. Since we are CAGs, that means a lot to us :cool:

[quote name='Kerig'][quote name='lilboo']Yes, BUT we might not know if a game will feature single-cart AND/OR multi-cart. Just by looking at Mario Party DS I would SWEAR that the game would be multi-card.[/quote]He said internet savvy. That means we can look it up on the web to find our answers re: multi-cart play before buying, not looking at the picture and making a decision based on that.[/quote]
That's really what I was trying to get at... It really isn't that hard to track down this information if you take a few minutes to look. For the Mario Party DS example, you could just check Nintendo's page. One of the bullet points is "And now players can throw a party anywhere and play wirelessly with friends, since much of the game can be shared to other Nintendo DS systems from just one game card." Alternatively, you could ask on the Mario Party DS gamefaqs board or something. The information is out there.

RE: NAMCO MUSEUM:
It has Pac-Man Vs. included on it. It's the old Gamecube game that came packaged with one of the Pac-man world games. You had to hook up 1-4 GBAs to your GC in order to play it, but it was still a great game.
Damn, that's awesome. I bought that Pac-man Worlds game *just* for Pacman Vs on the gamecube. I didn't know it made it to the DS too.

[quote name='onikage']Scrabble DS has single-card multi, though it was a Euro-only release.[/quote]

I had no idea there was a Scrabble game for DS. Why wouldn't they release something that in the US?

Any idea where I can get it?

[quote name='bmachine']I had no idea there was a Scrabble game for DS. Why wouldn't they release something that in the US?

Any idea where I can get it?[/QUOTE]

UHHHH...EUROPE?! :roll:

:grouphug:

[quote name='bmachine']I had no idea there was a Scrabble game for DS. Why wouldn't they release something that in the US?

Any idea where I can get it?[/quote]

Play-Asia is OOS, and there's not even a listing for it at Goozex.
eBay + $40 = only easy way to get it.

I would probably say try Wordjong for now instead. I've only heard good things about it. I'm still happy with my old copy of Bookworm GBA.

bread's done
Back