The PAIN Thread - Movie Studio Announced! - David Hasslehoff coming to PAIN Nov. 6!

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
I didn't see a thread for this, so I'm making this for all discussion of Pain and its new expansion, Amusement Park.

painheaderic5.jpg

PAIN boldly tackles a rarely explored area of video-gaming... comedy. The unique mechanic of the game allows the player to load a character into a human-sized, ultra-powerful slingshot, and fire the character into an active, physics-controlled environment, filled with precarious and humorous situations. Players receive points by stringing together painful collisions and inducing chaos in the environment.

Get ready for more monkeys, exploding teddy bears, clown tossing, and plenty more. The development team is taking PAIN to another level with the all new Amusement Park Add-on environment including six playable modes.

KEY FEATURES

• Multiple playable characters each with a very unique personality and attributes as well as character specific in-flight poses.
  • Plenty of ways to play in both Single and Multiplayer, including modes like Spank the Monkey, Mime Toss, PAIN Bowling, Fun With Explosives, and even more to come in future releases.
  • Relive every cringe-worthy smash and crash with the replay system in PAIN™. Use the free camera to get the best angle on your best ouchies.
  • Unique physics model created on Havok powered events, allow for amazing ragdoll animations, while ensuring that duplicating incidents is almost impossible. Keeping gameplay fresh over and over no matter how many times a player is launched into the same environment.
  • Robust online community feature set lets you compete with other players around the world on Global Leaderboards, track your friend's scores, and connect to the upcoming PAIN™ website, where you can participate in polls, get developer updates, and provide feedback to make for a more PAINful experience in future expansions.
  • Use the Jukebox to listen to your favorite MP3's while playing PAIN.
  • Earn Platinum Trophies in Spank the Monkey, Fun With Explosives, and Mime Toss, and take on a new level of difficulty in the Platinum Club Challenges, each with their own leaderboard.

I just got the original game and will be trying out the Amusement Park in a little bit, though I'm just downloading the huge patch at the moment.

The expansion is really worth it, actually. It's a lot of content and very different than the original game. It almost feels like a second game. There's a ton to aim at from the launcher; a lot more than the city, actually. The downside is that there aren't cars rolling around and it's harder to keep chains going together without the sudden collision that cars allow -- you can die out on any walkway. Still, nothing beats grasping a ride and hanging on until you build up a lot of momentum and then flinging yourself off in the opposite direction.
Any fence sitter should be pretty happy with the purchase -- it will provide more entertainment value than most $6 purchases

[quote name='smiggity']Amusement park is the whip...You can string together some serious combos. I avarage around 2million a launch on it[/quote]

Dude you gotta give me pointers. I struggle to get up towards 1/2 mil!

I already have pain and want to get tati and the amusement park.
I have a voucher for the pain game, do you think they would let me have the amusement park if I type in the code?

[quote name='Mr. 420']I already have pain and want to get tati and the amusement park.
I have a voucher for the pain game, do you think they would let me have the amusement park if I type in the code?[/quote]
No, the voucher will only let you download what it is for. You could try selling it here and use that money towards the add-ons.

The Dude is an unlockable skin for Travis. Not sure off the top of my head, but I believe its described in the in-game trophies how to unlock him.

Finally got Horsin' A Clown and Harder Dicks Balls. They were a bitch, but the balls dont need to stay in the dumpster, as long as you hear the noise you are good. The clown-roller coaster one was easy enough if you grab the top of his head to launch him and build up about 5 pimp slaps. I just got him in the tunnel and the coaster came by and hit him. The coaster comes by every six jumps.

Got Attention Spam earlier tonight. What I did was move the bowling bowl to somewhere that I could launch directly at it and used all the different poses to hit that certain part. FYI, the "Body" pain looks like a dude holding his back.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/17/pain-da-wood-da-mockracy/

The new Movie Studio add-on's coming out next month and is detailed on the PS Blog:
I remember telling some employees before that game development isn’t a democracy. I said at best development should be a benevolent dictatorship. I held that opinion because oftentimes when you get too many cooks in a kitchen, it does spoil the soup. Oddly enough I haven’t felt that way with PAIN for quite a few reasons. This message board has had a lot to do with how we design PAIN.

PAIN design is liberating. We don’t have to worry about context, story, logic, or even reality. In a lot of ways, PAIN development is about as chaotic and creative as you can be. So before I dig into what’s next, let me thank all of you for buying PAIN because it really has granted us freedom to try new concepts.

November is an exciting month for us as we are launching the next environment for PAIN. It’s called Movie Studio, and it’s our take on the wackiness of movie making.

So to directly contradict my earlier statement … PAIN development is (at least somewhat) a democracy. We have listened to what you wanted and tried our best to make sure all the things that you wanted are in this area. That includes (but isn’t limited to):

• More than one launcher location (There are three that you can dynamically switch to)
  • Single Player Fun with Explosives
  • New Cratetastic Mode
  • Unlockable FREE Character
  • HORSE Mode
  • Bowling Mode (With all new distractions)
Movie Studio is the first area that we created after hearing all your input (democracy again). Amusement Park was started before PAIN was released (and took quite a while to make). Movie Studio was made in a third of that time, and I think it shows how much better we as a team have gotten at this since the original PAIN area.

We also have a new single player mode in the Lot called CRATETASTIC. I think you will love the mode if you were in any way a fan of Spank the Monkey. Take Spank the Monkey and replace the monkeys with explosives. This mode gets hectic because you can switch launch locations.

We heard everyone comment about the lack of a free character with a purchased area so we kidnapped Buzz and locked him up inside the Movie Studio. Unlock the Afterparty area and get enough points, and he’s all yours.

Bowling and HORSE are also back. There are no mimes in this Bowling mode, but I am confident you will enjoy what we victimize instead.

You can thank your collective outrage for the Fun with Explosives inclusion (democracy + demonstrations = action). The Movie Studio just entered testing when Amusement Park came out. You all really went off about the lack of Single Player FWE inclusion. I called Jeff and told him how I wasn’t willing to explain why it wasn’t in Movie Studio. The funny part was how we all agreed that it was our favorite mode. So the designers burned the midnight oil, and it was added to the content push.

Lastly, you always vote for the PAINdemonium like areas as your favorite modes. So instead of doing two of these, we made three of them. Strangely enough they are easier to design than all the other modes. We thought it might be a good idea to give you more than what we usually do.

Watch the movie. Check out the screenshots and most of all, keep making your opinions heard. It helps us make better content. Stay tuned for the next couple weeks too. We will have some more cool content to share with you.

…and GO VOTE! I sure am.
Looks like it'll have new trophies, as well.

Edit: Some other details from the comments:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/17/pain-da-wood-da-mockracy/comment-page-1/#comment-120798
@Theossie: Every time we release a new area we are granted more points for PlayStation trophies. So the answer is yes. We will have more trophies. We have trophies inside PAIN and outside PAIN. I would list what all of them are but it would ruin the next two announcements.
@ThatPSPGuy: Our online features are in BETA now so I will see you soon. Thank you for buying PAIN. The online modes we offer first are some of the best multiplayer modes we have made yet. I will detail these next month when we have done all the BETA testing.
@Fritoz: Thanks! No we will not be altering existing PlayStation Trophies.
@Fed315: Sackboy is coming but we have also done some Sackboy-creation ourselves. We will release pics soon.
@EktorOni: We are working on some PAIN avatars. Which characters would you like to see? That’s a good question for everyone.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/17/pain-da-wood-da-mockracy/comment-page-1/#comment-120857
@Ghamdik1:
1. Custom Music is already in PAIN (We will be adding more shortly)
2. YouTube uploading and then some will come at the same time as #1
3. No remote play is planned
4. Screenshots will come at the same time as #1

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/22/a-very-special-message-from-david-hasselhoff/

Hello everyone, it’s your friendly neighborhood David Hasselhoff here. I know you’re probably wondering “What in the KITT am I doing on the PS Blog?” right? Well…settle down…settle down! I’m here to let you know straight from the Hoff’s mouth – I’m coming to PAIN! And it hurts so good! Don’t believe me, PEOPLE Magazine just broke the story and I’m talking about it on my blog.

What am I doing in PAIN you ask? It’s the Movie Studio! What’s a movie studio without The Hoff? You can now put The Hoff into a launcher and fling me into harm’s way – exploding crates, cars, people – everything is fair game. And best of all, you’ll never even put a scratch on this mug of mine!

When I was first approached about PAIN, I really didn’t know what to think. I mean, it’s great to think that someone would want to put me in a game, but THIS game is all about flinging people into walls, smashing them into cars, and spanking monkeys. While I wholeheartedly approve of the monkey spanking, I wasn’t too sure about the rest of the game. When I finally got my hands on PAIN though, everything changed, and I “got it”. If anybody can understand silly fun, it’s me.

I am a man of many emotions so when you throw me around the Movie Studio, I need to express myself. What better way than in song! So to commemorate my invasion onto the PS3, I made a cover song of Culture Club’s “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me” exclusively for PAIN. I’m really happy with the way the track turned out. We definitely brought something new to such a classic, well-known tune, and when you hear it, you’re going to like it. Sure, you know David Hasselhoff, but this song is like nothing I’ve done before.

So, after a lot of hard work by a bunch of talented people, Hoff Day is coming on Nov. 6! I’ve got the keys to the Movie Studio … who wants in? After all, do you REALLY want to hurt me? Wait….don’t answer that. Just go download The Hoff and play PAIN!
:lol: I don't think I expected to see David Hasslhoff in Pain.

Well it has been a while since I have loaded up Pain. There are 2 updates out there right now. I think I am at 2.53 or something. This game has had so many updates its hard to keep track

Update to 4.03 today. And GOD I just played an expert PAIN player yesterday online. They demolished my ass. HOW THE fuck DO YOU GET 3-4 million PER SHOT on horse?! AND with THE FAT GUY?! He actually said he was looking forward to today's update and it was one of the most deep games out there. On top of that, he admitted to having EVERY piece of DLC to PAIN. Surprised me actually. Just watching him Ooch around town was something to behold.

I'd love to get some of the DLC for this actually, but I just can't justify the cost. If they'd bundle any of it, I'd get it in a heartbeat, but until then, I won't. I've been wanting the amusement park level for a long time and now these new levels are even more tempting.

Just a quick question - does the game have online play as standard or does it come through one of the expansions. If so, which one? Thx.

To those that have the add ons, how does the amusement park hold up to the other new locations. I see movie stuidio comes with buzz, but I heard it is the weakest of the bunch.

Trying to play this game is a "pain". I downloaded it off a gameshare account. So i figure ill give it a try today... oh whats that...i need to download an update?

Update 1/6 - 211 MB
... Install
Update 2/6 - 114 MB
... Install
Update 3/6 - 384 MB

Seriously im not even half done installing these damn updates and its been almost an hour. To play an arcade game!

Update 4/6 - 379 MB ....

Last edited by a moderator:
They updated way too often and asking you to basically redownload the game each time is insane. I'm surprised that they haven't just made this a free to play game where you get the base game for free and can buy the new levels, modes, and characters if you want them.

WOW after all that i get some error before it fully downloads all the updates, and i have to start downloading the updates from the beginning again. Really starting to get tired of this kind of stuff from PS3.

Dude thats nothing. Last time I booted pain I had 40 PATCHES to download. Unbelievable but they love their game. The reason its patched so much is because of the little training mode thing that changes every week

bread's done
Back