The Official PSP 'UMD' Movie Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#31 Negative

Negative

Leave my wallet alone

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:34 PM

Wow, that's a lot of UMD's. Well, at least these will keep the PSP alive until better games come out.

#32 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:40 PM

I still have to do more updates to the list...so many UMDs coming out...

#33 Zingela

Zingela

Royal ... Santa Hat?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

I noticed that DeepDiscountDVD.com has all IN-stock UMD 20% with their sale right now. They also have the upcoming Anchor Bay UMD's for $11.99 (Evil Dead / Halloween). Not a bad deal, but I still cannot buy one.....no reason yet

Evil Dead? Wow, I think I may have finally found a UMD movie that I would actually want to purchase.

I can only hope that ED2 and maybe Army or Darkness come out sometime in the future as well. <3

Edit: Also, listing them by release dates would be helpful, I think.

sonicdreamcast.jpg

#34 jlkeeton

jlkeeton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:06 PM

Did Target drop UMDs from the B&M stores??? I was just in there and they were not behind the glass case any more with the other PSP/PS2 games. I checked the DVD section and they were not there, either. My store has been in the middle of a "Super Target-esque" redesign in electronics, so they may just not be out waiting to be in a new place. ???
!!JONASON!!

#35 Haggar

Haggar

Mayor of Metro City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:12 AM

Did Target drop UMDs from the B&M stores??? I was just in there and they were not behind the glass case any more with the other PSP/PS2 games. I checked the DVD section and they were not there, either. My store has been in the middle of a "Super Target-esque" redesign in electronics, so they may just not be out waiting to be in a new place. ???

My local Target moved them from behind the locked game cases to the normal DVD wall, which makes sense since they retail for $15-ish and don't need to be locked. Maybe yours is in the process of moving them to the DVD wall (they have a seperate UMD section on the DVD wall).

#36 Quackzilla

Quackzilla

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:20 AM

Sweet, it looks like the Cowboy Bebop movie is somming out on UMD July 26!

And it is only $15 MSRP!

And deepdiscoutdvd.com is the WORST design I have ever seen. Can somebody tell me how to find the UMD movies on that site?

#37 Haggar

Haggar

Mayor of Metro City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

And deepdiscoutdvd.com is the WORST design I have ever seen. Can somebody tell me how to find the UMD movies on that site?

Type "UMD" in the search bar.

#38 RiCeBo1

RiCeBo1

NAME PRONOUNCED RICEBOY

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:46 PM

Why the Fuck are they so expensive? It's like you might as well buy the DVD version! I don't get it!

Posted Image

#39 Kaijufan

Kaijufan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:46 AM

It's cool that Ghostbusters is coming out on UMD. If I had a PSP I would get that the day it comes out.

Why the Fuck are they so expensive? It's like you might as well buy the DVD version! I don't get it!

Good question.
Posted Image

#40 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:35 AM

Ill get this list updated in the next few days...been too must to do so.

#41 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:08 PM

Just Picked up dodgeball today at my gamecrazy for 19.99

#42 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:46 AM

Starmask, how much? BB has that and Napoleon for $19.99 on Tuesday.

#43 RandyTsai

RandyTsai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:27 AM

Appleseed is 13.88 at www.walmart.com. I duno if the price is b&m as well, but im pretty sure you can pm with a print out.

Posted Image

#44 Quackzilla

Quackzilla

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:27 AM

The "Cowboy Bebop" movie, releasing on July 26th, is the only UMD I am really interested in.

But I can't find it on any retail sites! Will EB Games or Best Buy be carrying it?

#45 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:37 AM

Well, looks like Wal-Mart didn't stock Napoleon today...grrr. I figured they would have it for $20 or so. Target wanted $30 for it.

I saw Appleseed today at Wal-Mart, outside the protevtive glass, so I assume its less then $15

#46 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:10 PM

Re-did the Coming soon list. I added a handful of new titles coming soon...Anyone have any idea how to list the Available movies any better?

#47 guessed

guessed

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:23 PM

Forgive my ignorance on the subject of UMDs, but I have a few questions...

Is the PSP the only device that will play UMD movies? Does Sony have any plans to market a cheap home player (one that will only play the movies, not games), or any other device that will use them?

Does Sony plan to push the format by releasing any titles on UMD prior to their DVD release?

#48 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:37 PM

Is the PSP the only device that will play UMD movies?

Yes, the one and only

Does Sony have any plans to market a cheap home player (one that will only play the movies, not games), or any other device that will use them?

I have heard rumors they may infact release a DVD-like player, but the picture quality would be crap on a TV. I don't remember if it was here or on another forum, but the member explained that the UMDs look great on the PSP due to the small size, on a larger screen (13 inches) it would look very pixilated.

Does Sony plan to push the format by releasing any titles on UMD prior to their DVD release?

You mean like titles that have never been on DVD? No, doubtful. Most of the stuff released is titles from the past year or two, or movies that luanch with their DVD counterpart.

#49 Quackzilla

Quackzilla

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:19 PM

The next Sony handheld will probably be compatable with UMD games and video, it will probably be the same size and shape but with mini Blue-Ray discs inside instead of mini DVDs.

Of course that's probably obvious because they are pushing backwards compatability a whole lot.

#50 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:55 PM

Posted Image
September 27th, $29.99

#51 snake

snake

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:29 AM

I was at Circuit City yesterday and they had all the umds that are usually 24.99 and 29.99 everywhere else marked down to 19.99. And they have the 14.99 priced ones that Walmart, Target etc have. Might only be a short term thing, but for now they are one of the best retailers to get them from.

#52 THE DARK KNIGHT

THE DARK KNIGHT

Seek Truth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:05 PM

Snatch. Nuff' said.
Now Playing:
nescartridge.gif Rygar
wii.gif RE4 Wii Edition
ps3.gif
3ds.gif

#53 BADAIM

BADAIM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:10 PM

Sacramento FRY's has

Black Hawk Down - $14.99
You Got Served - $14.99
Ghost Busters - $14.99

in right now

#54 smalien1

smalien1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:31 PM

You know what would be a great UMD?
Those Philip Glass movies with the various images.
Koyaniqatsi or whatever its called.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/pinthesink]Posted Image
[/URL]

#55 smalien1

smalien1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:46 PM

Just found out- you can add UMD's to your IGN collection! I don't have any so I can't tell you if it goes under PSP or becomes a new system
[/URL]

#56 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:46 PM

Sacramento FRY's has

Black Hawk Down - $14.99
You Got Served - $14.99
Ghost Busters - $14.99

in right now

Pretty good since they dont come out till Tuesday. However, none of those interests me.

#57 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:02 PM

Looks like we are going to start to see entire Movie collections will be complete. XXX sequel is coming out, all the American Pies, Resident Evils (now finished)...Pretty cool.

#58 Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

spends too much time here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:54 PM

Just found out- you can add UMD's to your IGN collection! I don't have any so I can't tell you if it goes under PSP or becomes a new system

I bought Resident Evil 2 yesterday, and yeah, it comes up under PSP. And the movies look AMAZING. I was in awes the whole time I was watching it.

samuraifez.png

#59 smalien1

smalien1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:23 AM

For some reason I only want to watch comedies on UMD/mem card. I couldnt imagine watching drama/action one one.
The UMD I really want is Harold and Kumar. Who's with me?
[/URL]

#60 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:11 PM

Very good small article on why PSP UMDs are featureless...

"As we've wandered the Internet, reading consumer comments about DVDs vs. UMDs, we often see questions about how a UMD version of a title will almost always cost more than the same item on DVD, yet contain "less" in that there are almost never any supplements on the PSP version. People seem very confused by this, so now seems to be a good opportunity as any for us to comment on that, and explain what our understanding is of the cause. An industry contact, speaking in an off-the-record conversation, explained to me that the UMD authoring process is fairly complicated right now compared to DVDs, especially where menus are concerned. Adding bonus content means dealing swith additional menus, and so studios are hanging back right now and prefer not to include the extras which complicate the project by having to find room on the disc, take the time and expense to author the menus, and make it take longer to bring the release to market. Also driving up the cost is the fact that there are much fewer UMD authors at this time, while the format is stil ramping up and the programmers get the hang of the different system. Plus, it was indicated (if this was understood correctly) that all UMD content must currently go through Sony's UMD manufacturing system at this time. Still, these are just growing pains for a new video format, whereas DVD has been around since 1997. Give it time, and UMD costs will come down and the content will expand...just like DVD did!"

www.tvshowsondvd.com