Photo
- - - - -

The Rock Band Thread - 10/26: Rock Band 3 Out Now With Free The Doors Pack In-Game!

• Please log in to reply
709 replies to this topic

#571 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:37 PM

This week's RBN songs:

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#572 metaly

metaly

In the world, only this island is.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:08 PM

Got Australia by the Shins yesterday, which is a lot of fun on guitar. Also got the full Axis album and it's beastly. It's fun but still humbling having to drop the difficulty for pretty much every song.

#573 MisterBee

MisterBee

Slave To DOTA2

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

Just give my "Longwave - No Direction" Harmonix, its the only RBN song I want.
PSN Trophies:
Spoiler

SteamCard:
Spoiler

#574 200STM

200STM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:11 PM

Man Im hoping we can get some at the drive-in or at least some movielife

#575 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

Next week's new RBN releases:

New to the PlayStation 3, available 5/4:

The regular releases includes the rest of the songs from the Tragic Kingdom album by No Doubt:

To add to the thirteen previously released No Doubt tracks in Rock Band, next week we will be releasing the remaining 9 tracks of this breakthrough album including:

• "Different People"
  • "End It on This"
  • "Happy Now?"
  • "Hey You"
  • "Sixteen"
  • "The Climb"
  • "Tragic Kingdom"
  • "World Go 'Round"
  • "You Can Do It"

#576 madbst

madbst

Recquiescat In Pace

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

The gf and I have new songs to play again with the new No Doubt songs. Time to dust off the instruments.
Posted Image

Posted Image

^^^ Amazon gift card count so far: $650 ^^^

#577 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

Well here is the Green Day Rock Band intro. Kinda boring. I'll still buy the game, but this does not look like a 60 dollar purchase to me.

#578 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:04 PM

http://www.rockband....d-3-design-team

Harmonix is starting the hype wagon for Rock Band 3 with some teasers about the key people that will be blogging about the game:

My name's Dan Teasdale, and I'm the Lead Designer on Rock Band 3. For the last two years, the Rock Band 3 design team has been feverishly working on making not just the next Rock Band game, but also the next big leap in music gaming.

Over the next few weeks and months, we'll be taking you through the details behind Rock Band 3 through a series of designer blog posts, right here on RockBand.com.

There's so much stuff in Rock Band 3 that I can't personally blog about all of it! The rest of the Rock Band 3 design team will also be writing posts about various features. Your brave authors, in order of attractiveness:

• Sylvain Dubrofsky is the senior designer in charge of gameplay on Rock Band 3. He'll be writing about some of the revolutionary new experiences you'll be able to play with in Rock Band 3.
  • Brian Chan is the senior designer in charge of various metagame systems. He'll be talking about some great new game modes and overhauls to how you experience the game.
  • Casey Malone is our designer in charge of player investment. He'll be blogging about some of the cool things that will make you keep you coming back to Rock Band 3.
  • Dan Teasdale is...me! I'm the lead designer on Rock Band 3, and one of two token Australians at Harmonix. I'll be talking about some other changes we've made to make Rock Band 3 the ultimate music game.
(While they won't be blogging, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the design contributions to Rock Band 3 by HMX alumni Doug Church and Grace Williams. They've made some huge impacts to the design that we'll do our best to represent in these posts.)

We'll also be taking any questions from the community that we can. If you have questions that you want answered, please check out the official discussion thread in the RockBand.com forums. We'll do our best to answer these as we write our posts.

So, stay tuned over the next few weeks and months as we chat about some of the in-depth details that make up Rock Band 3. I think you'll be surprised at just how big this game really is.

#579 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

http://www.joystiq.c...green-day-demo/

Posted Image

Dookieheads (that's what Green Day fans are colloquially referred to, right?) who downloaded the two-track Green Day: Rock Band demo from Xbox Live Marketplace today (gold subscribers only) found a little bonus waiting for them when they exited the demo: The teaser image posted above. Alongside the series' four iconic instrument logos is a whole new symbol, which seems to indicate that keyboards (or perhaps ... keytars?) will be added to Rock Band 3.

Also, the Green Day: Rock Band demo should be out on PSN later today when the store is updated:

Harmonix Music Systems and MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks, announced today that a demo of Green Day: Rock Band – featuring full versions of “Welcome to Paradise” and “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” – will be released on Tuesday, May 25th, via Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft in North America and Europe. In addition, the demo will be released on Tuesday, May 25th for the PlayStation®Network in North America and on Wednesday, June 2nd for the PlayStation®Network in Europe.

#580 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

I want to see a "The Doors" Rock Band now with a keyboard. Also is the Green Day Rock Band demo coming to PSN anytime soon?

#581 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

It's out now.

#582 Tony208

Tony208

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:09 PM

Now keyboard is one instrument I can def gold star all the time. hope it comes out soon
Digital distribution comes with strings.

#583 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

http://www.rockband....ozzy-scream-dlc

Rock legend Ozzy Osbourne makes his Rock Band debut with six songs - three classics and three from his upcoming album Scream! Ozzy has sold 50 million albums worldwide during his solo career (plus another 50 million albums as the vocalist for Black Sabbath!), won two Grammys, an MTV Movie Award, and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He is a living legend and the Godfather of Heavy Metal. Now rockers everywhere will now be able to enjoy his music through Rock Band.

Fans will be able to play the already hit single "Let Me Hear You Scream" and two yet-unreleased tracks from Scream - "Diggin' Me Down" and "Soul Sucker" -before the album hits stores on June 22nd. Longtime Ozzy fans shouldn't feel left out - three Ozzy classics will also be available: "Crazy Babies, "I Don't Wanna Stop," and "No More Tears."

Not sure about the newer stuff, but I'm happy to see some older songs finally coming in master form. Now he just needs to get the Foo Fighters/Pearl Jam/No Doubt treatment with many more songs.

#584 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

Have to purchase Crazy Babies and No More Tears now.

#585 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

Picked up Green Day: Rock Band today and the clerk mentioned that RB3 and the keyboard peripheral are already available for pre-orders now. The export code is on the back of the manual, though I'm not sure if that's on every new copy or just GameStop's copies.

#586 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

The new timed trophy is quite a bit harder, at least for me. It requires you to beat the career mode in 12 hours with a full four player band.

#587 m_d_amore

m_d_amore

BrooKlyn Bum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

obviously they have no consideration for the friendless
Posted ImagePosted Image
You can kill a cow(mo0) and eat it. But you can't pick a plant and Smoke it?
Assy Ass Ass , Ass Ass.

XBox 360 is for Poor people

#588 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

:-(

I have friends, just not four people that I could summon for a Green Day marathon.

#589 m_d_amore

m_d_amore

BrooKlyn Bum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

I hear ya on that. is it possible to get it online? or does it not say?
Posted ImagePosted Image
You can kill a cow(mo0) and eat it. But you can't pick a plant and Smoke it?
Assy Ass Ass , Ass Ass.

XBox 360 is for Poor people

#590 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

I'm not sure, but that presents its own challenges to play through it online in one sitting.

#591 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

I'm not sure, but that presents its own challenges to play through it online in one sitting.

I'm up for it.

#592 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

Already asking for a reserve on the keyboard controller? We have not even seen it yet! As for Green Day Rock Band, do they give you a voucher inside the case where you enter the code then pay 10 bucks to export all songs to the hard drive?

#593 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:02 AM

And a lot of the big details have been revealed:

http://www.usatoday....tid=90946364001

Video with keyboard footage

Ever since Rock Band expanded the musical video-game stage in 2007 to add drums and vocals to the Guitar Hero experience, players have been clamoring for keyboards.

Consider that request filled. Rock Band 3 (due for the holidays for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii) expands the virtual band to seven (drums, lead and bass guitar, keyboards, lead vocals and two harmony vocals). "With the introduction of keyboards, we get to bring a ton of amazing new music onto the platform, which will help feed the appetite for music for years to come," says Alex Rigopulos, CEO of game studio Harmonix.

Among the 83 new songs to be included, Rigopulos says, "it's hard to pick a favorite, but for The Doors to be making an appearance on Rock Band finally with their classic Break On Through, I love that one. And Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is endlessly fun."

The success of Rock Band and follow-up Rock Band 2 propelled sales of music games to more than $1.6 billion in 2008 — with the help of competing Guitar Hero titles. Despite a wide variety of new games in 2009 including The Beatles: Rock Band and DJ Hero, annual sales fell by nearly 50%.

That slide inspired the Rock Band 3 development team to try to recapture the fun "that really started this whole phenomenon in the first place," says project director Daniel Sussman.

During the game, green, red, blue, yellow or orange keys flow on a "stream" representing the notes to be played on five corresponding keyboard keys. In a new authentic Pro mode meant to help players segue to actual instruments, all 25 keys are used; the streams shifts left and right to cover the correct keys. The keyboard also works as a MIDI keyboard that can be connected to a computer. "This is a real instrument and a real device," says senior designer Sylvain Dubrofsky.

In addition to the new keyboard controller, also due for the game's release are two advanced guitar controllers that take advantage of the Pro mode, one a full-sized, fully functional Fender guitar (all sold separately, no prices yet).

Other Rock Band 3 advances: improved animations, refined gameplay features — players can drop in and out of games, or change instruments and difficulty settings without stopping songs — and a easier-to-use song menu.

"Our ambition for Rock Band 3 was really to re-energize and reinvigorate the (music game) category and advance it and move it forward," Rigopulos says.

http://www.usatoday....band10_VA_N.htm

Development of Rock Band 3 began immediately after the September 2008 release of Rock Band 2, says project director Daniel Sussman at Cambridge, Mass.-based Harmonix.

As work continued, the music category's slide in sales made the design team deepen their focus. "We saw a kind of staleness in terms of game-play innovation," Sussman says. "Really, the main focus of Rock Band 3 development was finding new ways to experience the music and actually doubling down, if you will, on our investment in compelling game play.

"We are adding a new instrument (a 25-key, fully functioning MIDI keyboard) and we're adding a whole new mode, which is designed basically to answer that staleness factor."

The result, he says, is "an experience that is both accessible to players who are just getting into this thing, and builds something for the hard-core player who is maybe a little bored with where music games are."

Sussman and several key members of the Rock Band team (Harmonix senior designers Sylvain Dubrofsky and Dan Teasdale, and public relations gurus John Drake of Harmonix and Jeff Castaneda of MTV Games; you can see them all playing the game in the accompanying video) recently demonstrated Rock Band 3 for USA TODAY's Game Hunters and offered a test drive of the new keyboard controller, as well as the game's new authentic Pro mode aimed at helping players develop skills usable on real instruments.

"Everybody who wants to keep playing on the instruments they already have, we have enhanced new features and new gameplay for you," Dubrofsky says. "It's up to you to decide where you take this."

More on the advances for Rock Band 3 (due for the holidays for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and Nintendo DS):
Better story. Design your own characters and session musicians from improved character models and watch their story unfold throughout the game. Your band members are seen getting into the van to go to a show, and practicing as well as performing. They even appear as you choose songs to play. "It is a really cool way to make sure you are always in the narrative no matter which mode you are in," Teasdale says. "The entire game is essentially one story of your band."

Everything you do earns achievements in the goal-based career mode. "Previously our career modes weren't really about getting better as a Rock Band player, it was about investing time," Teasdale says. "We developed this entirely new career mode based around unlocking achievement-like goals to show your progression through the game, and also give you incentives to get better.

"We have hundreds and hundreds of these goals across instruments and gameplay modes and across (downloadable content). It is a really great way to finish Rock Band in your way, based on your skill, and not on some predetermined path of songs."

More fluid gameplay. Players can jump in or out of songs without interrupting a song already in progress. They can also change instruments or difficulty settings during a song without pausing. "It's a really cool way to get rid of that friction that players have when they are in a party situation," Teasdale says.

Another party-friendly mode, "road challenges," is described by Teasdale as "taking Rock Band 1 and 2's band world tour (mode) and merging it with Mario Party. We tried to find a way to get the core experience people had playing the band world tour and the things they really enjoyed, like getting the van or getting random set lists, and putting that into a setting that you can finish in an evening instead of a week. So now we have all these tours which are actually you going on a tour of the East Coast or touring across the world, and you are finishing that in three hours or whatever time you think you have to play."

Revamped song-filtering system. With the Rock Band library expected to grow to about 2,000 songs by year's end, it has grown too big for simply scrolling. With the new system, "you can say, 'only show me songs in Rock Band 3' or 'only songs under three minutes' or 'Eighties metal songs from my (downloadable) collection,' " Teasdale says. "It's a really cool way to take your full library down to a manageable list of songs."

Not to be forgotten, the keyboards' addition — along with carrying over the three-part harmonies from The Beatles: Rock Band and new Green Day: Rock Band games — means that "you can play as a seven -player band," Teasdale says, "which is an amazing experience."

Rock Band Pro. This new music learning mode lets players develop real-world music-playing fundamentals for keyboards, guitars and drums. More realistic music notations replace the standard color-coded notes during gameplay. For guitar, numbers flow down the screen along six guitar strings, telling you where to place your hands on the neck and when to strum.

Two new guitar controllers in the works have actual strings where you strum; one is a full-sized, fully functional six-string Squier Stratocaster from Fender. "It can tell where your fingers are based on technology in the neck and the bridge of the guitar. No buttons," Drake says. "While you're playing it, it feels exactly like playing a real guitar," because that's what you're doing.

The other is a Fender Mustang Pro controller from accessory maker Mad Catz with a field of buttons in each fret. As your fingers compress the smaller non-colored buttons on that guitar's neck, your finger positions are represented in the game's display. "You can go from plucking single notes to power chords and bar chords, we have crazy stuff like tapping and slides," Dubrofsky says. "If you ever had any aspirations of connecting with the music in a deeper way ... you are really going to like Rock Band 3."

For drums, three new cymbals are added to the standard four drum pads, and you are forced to play the correct cymbal at the right time. "It really immerses you more. You feel more like a drummer," Dubrofsky says. "It's not only for expert levels. You can come in on easy and actually play Pro drums. We have all the different levels established. It's actually really fun. You are playing up on the high hat or down on the snare, and it feels more like a kit than ever before."

On keyboards, Sussman says, "we're actually utilizing the full two-octave range that the keyboard controller has. Everything that you are playing, whether you are playing on easy or expert, is accurate musical information. The track looks like a real keyboard track, and you are playing notes on the keyboard that if you were to step away from the game and were to play on a real piano, they would be the right notes."

Pro players can use the mode for private practice or incorporate it while others play the game's standard arcade modes. "You can be an expert keys-player playing with an all easy band, no problem," Drake says.

http://content.usato...unced-so-far-/1

Rock Band 3, which adds keyboards to the music game setup, will feature keyboard parts in most of the planned 83 songs on the game disc when it hits stores this holiday shopping season.

"There's this whole other world of music where keyboards plays a prominent role that has been largely neglected (in Rock Band games) because of instrumentation," says Harmonix CEO and co-founder Alex Rigopulos. "The introduction of keyboards ... gives us access to a new world of content."

See our full coverage including a video of the Harmonix developers playing the game here.

For the partial song list, announced today (by decade), click below:

2000s
Combat Baby -- Metric
Dead End Friends -- Them Crooked Vultures
Get Free -- The Vines
Lasso -- Phoenix
Me Enamora -- Juanes
Oh My God -- Ida Maria
Portions of Foxes -- Rilo Kiley
The Hardest Button to Button -- The White Stripes

1990s
Been Caught Stealing -- Jane's Addiction
In the Meantime -- Spacehog
Plush -- Stone Temple Pilots
Walkin' on the Sun -- Smash Mouth

1980s
Crazy Train -- Ozzy Osbourne
Here I Go Again -- Whitesnake
I Love Rock and Roll -- Joan Jett
Just Like Heaven -- The Cure
Rainbow in the Dark -- Dio
The Power of Love -- Huey Lewis and the News
Sister Christian -- Night Ranger

1960s-1970s
Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen
Break On Through -- The Doors
Crosstown Traffic -- Jimi Hendrix

About the game, Rigopulos says, "if you are a really casual player, you just like to play at parties or whatnot, we are offering a bunch of great new seamless party play. If you are looking for something new, of course we are adding the vocal harmonies and the keyboards, which lets up to seven people play together and is a helluva lot of fun in a social party context.

"If you are someone who is looking for a deeper challenge either because you are an expert player looking for the next level of challenge or because you actually have musical aspirations, there is the Pro game play (mode), which is really going to start to close the gap between simulated music and real musicmaking."

#594 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

Very exciting. I'm glad it's a keyboard and not a keytar, but I guess someone will probably make a keytar controller anyway.

#595 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Sold as soon as I saw Bohemian Rhapsody. Add in some Freebird...

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#596 evergoo

evergoo

Proud to be Frugal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

:whee: Completely pumped! :bouncy:

Lovin' the keyboard and interested to see how realistic those new guitars are. I also can't wait to discover some new music from the RB3 setlist. :D

goo.gif evergoo.png

Recent Game Purchases: X-COM Collection, StreetPass Games Bundle, Fire Emblem: Awakening
Currently Playing: StreetPass Games, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time

My Latest Karaoke Video: Lady Gaga's Just Dance

#597 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

im annoyed. keyboards and advanced guitars sound good and all. spending another $250 on another set of instruments and $10-$20 to import songs again doesnt sounds too fun.

Posted Image

#598 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

I'll probably pick up the keyboard, although I doubt I'll do well at it. I only recognize 3 of those 2000s bands. I wish it was Kaiser Chiefs' "Oh My God"
Posted Image

#599 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

Day one purchase.

im annoyed. keyboards and advanced guitars sound good and all. spending another $250 on another set of instruments and $10-$20 to import songs again doesnt sounds too fun.

If you already imported the songs on your hard drive it should be fine. The DLC from any Rock Band game works with Rock Band, Rock Band 2, and even Lego. I am just wondering how much the Keyboard controller will be sold for.

Edited by FroMann, 10 June 2010 - 05:44 PM.

#600 surak

surak

Pickle Inspector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

The new features and set list look great, love all the 60s-70s and 90s songs, plus The CURE, finally! I can't wait! Not sure if I'll buy new peripherals, but I could be interested in brushing up my real guitar skills or getting into keyboard after quitting piano 15 years ago. Have to see how the guitar works. Since it'll be a Squier, I expect it to go for about $100 or a tad more to account for the added controller hardware. That wouldn't be a terrible price for a basic guitar to people like me who need motivation to practice more. :lol: