Photo
- - - - -

The Rock Band Thread - 10/26: Rock Band 3 Out Now With Free The Doors Pack In-Game!

• Please log in to reply
709 replies to this topic

#601 D_Icon

D_Icon

'D'_ott_Elitist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

im annoyed. keyboards and advanced guitars sound good and all. spending another $250 on another set of instruments and $10-$20 to import songs again doesnt sounds too fun.

I agree, just hand out the keyboard for free. wtf is it with corporations wanting to make money.

No need to buy the new instruments buddy unless YOU want the NEW experience. They are not being pushed on YOU, EXISTING instruments WILL work. So take a chill pill man.

I can't wait. I for one want the NEW experience. Harmonix in my opinion does a lot for its customers. They didn't need to have the game be backwards compatible with all the od stuff. I'm very SATISFIED with their approach to treating customers.

#602 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:48 AM

Day one purchase.

If you already imported the songs on your hard drive it should be fine. The DLC from any Rock Band game works with Rock Band, Rock Band 2, and even Lego. I am just wondering how much the Keyboard controller will be sold for.

I think he's expecting to have to pay to export the Rock Band 2 songs. And while RB1 was only $5, we can probably expect $10 for this export. $20 is getting a little dramatic.

#603 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

http://www.rockband....3-announcements

Harmonix has their own blog post to reveal the game and its features:

Posted Image

You asked for it! Here's your first glimpse at the new features, songs, and instruments for Rock Band 3! This game has mind-blowing new modes and instruments - including Pro Mode and a keyboard peripheral! - and more music than any other music game. Let's get right into it:

Posted Image
New style of Rock Band 3 characters

The Music:
Rock Band 3 will have an incredible 83-song setlist, as well as support for the over 1,500 existing Rock Band tracks (Rock Band and Rock Band 2 discs, DLC, track packs, AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack, LEGO Rock Band, and Green Day: Rock Band). The setlist contains songs from some of the best bands from around the world, including bands that have never appeared in a music game! Don't think it stops there - the regular weekly DLC releases will continue after Rock Band 3's release.

Today we're announcing a handful of the 83 on-disc tracks for Rock Band 3, spanning five decades:

2000s:

• Metric - "Combat Baby"
  • Rilo Kiley - "Portions for Foxes"
  • Them Crooked Vultures - "Dead End Friends"
  • The Vines - "Get Free"
  • The White Stripes - "The Hardest Button to Button"
  • Phoenix - "Lasso"
  • Ida Maria - "Oh My God"
  • Juanes - "Me Enamora"
1990s:

• Jane's Addiction - "Been Caught Stealing"
  • Stone Temple Pilots - "Plush"
  • Smash Mouth - "Walkin' on the Sun"
  • Spacehog - "In the Meantime"
1980s:

• Dio - "Rainbow in the Dark"
  • Huey Lewis and the News - "The Power of Love"
  • Joan Jett - "I Love Rock and Roll"
  • Night Ranger - "Sister Christian"
  • Whitesnake - "Here I Go Again"
  • The Cure - "Just Like Heaven"
  • Ozzy Osbourne - "Crazy Train"
1970s:

• Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody"
1960s:

• Jimi Hendrix - "Crosstown Traffic"
  • The Doors - "Break On Through"
Rock Band 3 also includes an improved Music Library, allowing players to create and save setlists, and share them with friends, both in-game and right here on RockBand.com. Song filtering will make it easier to find the tracks you want to play. You can also hide the songs you don't want to play, and seek out new songs using a built-in song recommendation system based on personal preferences.

Posted Image
Rock Band 3 drummer

The Instruments:
In addition to the plastic guitars, bass, drums, and vocals you're used to, now you can jam on a couple of new instruments. Play vocal harmonies with up to three players like you did in The Beatles: Rock Band. And for the first time ever you'll also be able to play using a keyboard peripheral! The band has gotten bigger - playing with all available instruments, you and six friends can all rock at the same time. Rock Band parties will never be the same.

Posted Image
Keyboards in Rock Band 3

If you're ready to take the next step in music gaming, check out Rock Band 3's Pro Mode. Ever had someone ask you why you play plastic guitar instead of learning a real instrument? Now you can tell them you ARE learning a real instrument. Rock Band 3 empowers players to develop actual musical skills through the fun of Rock Band Pro gameplay. Start at Easy and work your way up through Expert on three different Pro Modes, just like you did with the plastic guitars and plastic drums.

• Pro Drums supports three expansion cymbals, with gameplay differentiation between toms and cymbals.
  • Pro Keys features pitch-accurate keyboard performance across a two-octave range, displayed on an easy-to-read keyboard track.
  • Pro Guitar features notated guitar and bass performances, available for play with either the new Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar simulated guitar controller from Mad Catz or the Rock Band 3 Squier by Fender Stratocaster Guitar real guitar/controller hybrid. The Rock Band 3 Squier Stratocaster is a fully functional, full-sized, six-string electric guitar that also functions as a game controller that Fender and Harmonix have teamed up to develop.
All Pro Modes include tutorials and a difficulty progression from Easy through Expert, giving you the chance to learn at your own speed. And if you're not ready to take that leap - or you just don't want to buy another instrument peripheral - Rock Band 3 will be compatible with all Rock Band and The Beatles: Rock Band peripherals, as well as most third-party controllers.

New Gameplay:
Party Mode: Get the party started faster and keep it going all night! Party Shuffle lets you start the game immediately, while persistent drop-in/drop-out lets players take turns (or take a break!) without interrupting the flow of play. You'll also be able to choose (or change!) your difficulty on any gameplay screen - including mid-song.

Posted Image
Rock Band 3 gameplay

Career Mode: If a more long-term play is your style, get ready for over 700 goals and rewards, with seamless leaderboard integration, for a deep campaign experience.

Social Networking: Rock Band 3 adds social networking tools so you can interact with friends and fellow Rock Band rockers using Facebook, Twitter, and more.

If that's not enough Rock Band 3 info for you, check out the video below from USAToday.com and the accompanying article featuring quotes and information from Rock Band 3 team, including Lead Designer Dan Teasdale, Project Director Daniel Sussman, and Harmonix CEO and Co-Founder Alex Rigopulos.

And that's not all! Stay tuned over the next few weeks and months to get all the details on Rock Band 3, including the rest of the 83-song setlist, more details about Career Mode's goals and rewards, and just how awesome Pro Mode really is. Plus more behind-the-scenes info from the Rock Band 3 design team!

http://www.gametrail...yer/101022.html
http://www.gametrail...yer/101091.html

#604 redline

redline

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:56 PM

I'm not really interested in Rock Band 3, but they'll still have new songs available for Rock Band 2 in the PSN store right?

#605 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

"Don't think it stops there - the regular weekly DLC releases will continue after Rock Band 3's release."

#606 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

http://gameinformer....g-revealed.aspx

We've got details on the new instruments with pricing now that Madcatz has taken over for first-party Rock Band instruments:

Mad Catz is now completely taking over peripheral duties from Harmonix and MTV Games. While they will be releasing new traditional Rock Band guitars, drums, and "improved" mics, today we've got the full rundown on the new keyboard, fancy pro guitar, and other odds and sods. Get your wallets ready. Reality comes at a cost.

Posted Image

·Rock Band 3 Wireless Keyboard Controller: $79.99

·Rock Band 3 Game & Wireless Keyboard Controller Bundle: $129.99

"Designed for use exclusively with Rock Band 3, the Wireless Keyboard Controller has been crafted to resemble classic professional keyboards and is playable on a secure flat surface or while strapped over the player’s shoulder. Empowering gamers to take their enjoyment of rhythm music gaming to the next level, the Wireless Keyboard Controller also functions as a MIDI keyboard, boasting a two-octave (C3 to C5) range and non-weighted, velocity-sensitive key bed allowing gamers to take full advantage of the Rock Band Pro mode. The MIDI output connector provides compatibility with MIDI software sequencers and hardware devices while standard console-specific gaming controller buttons deliver seamless console integration and the Wireless Keyboard Controller can also be used to play the lead guitar or bass parts of the game. An optional Keyboard Stand will be sold separately and is expected to be available alongside the launch of Rock Band 3."

Posted Image

·Rock Band 3 Wireless Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller: $149.99

"Introducing a new level of realism to the rhythm music genre, the Wireless Fender Mustang PRO-GuitarController is designed for use exclusively with Rock Band 3, allowing gamers to accurately replicate a real guitar when playing Rock Band Pro mode in the game. Featuring 17 frets along a button-based neck, the Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar includes a 6-string strumming area which allows for discrete picking of each string and a touch-sensitive string box which allows players to mute or ‘cut-off’ notes when pressed. In addition, the Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar operates as a fully functional MIDI guitar, with the MIDI output connector providing compatibility with MIDI software sequencers and hardware devices while standard console-specific gaming controller buttons deliver seamless console integration and navigation of the game menus. The Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar allows for left or right handed use and can also be used to play either lead or bass parts of the game in Rock Band Pro and standard game modes."

Posted Image

·Rock Band 3 Wireless PRO-Cymbals Expansion Kit: $39.99

"Compatible with all wireless Rock Band drum kits, the Wireless PRO-Cymbals Expansion Kit features three newly designed Rock Band 3 cymbals which have been re-engineered for quiet operation. Fully supporting the Rock Band Pro mode where the cymbals represent Hi-Hat, Crash and Ride, the cymbals can also be used in standard game modes for all Rock Band software. Improved from the Rock Band™ 2 cymbals, the new PRO-Cymbals boast quieter sound with noise-dampening rubber covering the full surface area of the cymbal. The PRO-Cymbals also feature enhanced responsiveness, essential when playing in Rock Band Pro mode. In addition, the redesigned Rock Band 3 cymbals now permanently rest at a pre-defined 10° angle, better positioned for accurate play. The PRO-Cymbals are also available as part of the Rock Band 3 Wireless Drum and Cymbal Kit (sold separately)."

Posted Image

· Rock Band 3 MIDI PRO-Adapter: $39.99

"Designed for use exclusively with Rock Band 3, theMIDI PRO-Adapter allows musicians to use their real MIDI keyboards or MIDI drum sets to play Rock Band 3. Plugging directly into the console via USB, the MIDI PRO-Adapter works as an interface between the console and MIDI instrument, converting the MIDI messages into console controller data which the game translates into on screen action. The MIDI PRO-Adapter features a velocity sensitive adjustment for MIDI drums designed to reduce cross-talk during play. A full D-Pad and standard gaming controller buttons are located on the PRO-Adapter to deliver seamless console integration and navigation of the game menus. Shipswith a removable clip, allowing MIDI PRO-Adapter to be attached to a belt, or rest on a table top or similar flat surface."

I'll probably get the keyboard bundle.

#607 DarkKenpachi

DarkKenpachi

Nupe 4 Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:05 AM

I am so excited simply put. I just want to see what all the bundles look like because I do need new guitars and I a new drum set would be nice simply for the cymbals. and I was sold on the Hardest Button to Button. Love the White Stripes.
Blessed to be still standing after it all.

#608 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:34 AM

Keyboard is expensive, but I still want it. I was hoping I can get both the game and keyboard for a hundred bucks.

#609 Cheapass24

Cheapass24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

the guitar has 17 frets, wow.
Check out by band Four Nights Gone's new single Crash and Burn if you like any type of rock (Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Avenged Sevenfold etc)

www.fournightsgone.bandcamp.com

#610 Z-Saber

Z-Saber

No longer a CAG regular

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

Probably beyond the scope of this new keyboard peripheral (though I can hope and pray!), but what about all of the "old" RB1/2/Lego and DLC songs with sweet keyboard parts? And The Beatles?

Also, the pro drum set looks a whole lot like my current setup, which is the RB2 set with three Mad Catz cymbals. Now, I'm sure they improved the new cymbals, so there is incentive to upgrade, but the old cymbals and drums should work with the pro mode, right?

#611 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Well you can play guitar and bass on keyboard also I think. So it can work with some songs from groups like Gorillaz, Freezepop, Lady gaga (I bought the Eric Cartman version 8-)) and Kansas.

#612 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

They've mentioned that some songs have extra data in their files for special features, so I could see some songs already being compatible with the new hardware.

#613 pob14

pob14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:23 AM

· Rock Band 3 MIDI PRO-Adapter: $39.99

This is what I'd been hoping for. We have a MIDI keyboard and I'd much rather get this than a new keyboard.

#614 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

http://www.rockband....ad.php?t=196232

We have a release date:

MTV Games and Harmonix Announce Rock Band™3 Pre-Order Campaigns at GameStop, Wal-Mart and Amazon Pre-Order Rock Band 3 Now and Receive Great Promotional Offers Including Exclusive Downloadable Content and Credit Toward Future Purchases

NEW YORK, NY – July 19, 2010 - MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), and Harmonix Music Systems Inc. today announced consumer pre-order opportunities with major North American retailers GameStop, Wal-Mart and Amazon for the highly anticipated Rock Band™3.

With more than 30 awards and nominations following its impressive E3 2010 debut, including multiple Best Music and Best Casual/Social game accolades, Rock Band 3 will feature an incredible 83-song setlist and access to far more music than any other music game, as well as innovative new gameplay modes and instruments. The game will ship on October 26, 2010 in North America for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft (MSRP: $59.99), PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system (MSRP: $59.99), the Wii™ system from Nintendo (MSRP: $59.99), and Nintendo DS™ (MSRP: $29.99).

GameStop Pre-order* Opportunity:
GameStop shoppers who reserve Rock Band 3 for PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 in advance receive three downloadable Rock Band songs at launch:

• Burning Down the House by Talking Heads
• My Own Summer by Deftones
• Blue Monday by New Order

Amazon Pre-order* Opportunity:
Amazon shoppers who reserve Rock Band 3 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii in advance will receive access to an exclusive in-game guitar. Additionally, for a limited time only, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 owners who pre-order Rock Band 3 in advance on Amazon will receive $10 off a future videogame purchase.

Wal-Mart Pre-order* Opportunity:
Walmart.com shoppers who reserve Rock Band 3 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii in advance will receive a $10 eGift card for a limited time.

Developed by Harmonix, the world’s premier music videogame company, published by MTV Games, and distributed by Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), Rock Band 3 will ship simultaneously worldwide in North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and other territories. Rock Band 3 will be compatible with all Rock Band™ and The Beatles™: Rock Band™ peripherals, as well as most Guitar Hero® and third-party instrument and microphone controllers. Mad Catz is the official peripheral manufacturer and distributor for Rock Band 3 game controllers.

The Rock Band platform stands next to none in music content, with 2000 songs scheduled to be available at the launch of Rock Band 3, including Jimi Hendrix, The Who, AC/DC and Green Day - all exclusive to Rock Band. With more choices for fans than any other music-based videogame, Rock Band is, without question, the industry leader in providing the best selection of interactive musical content, songs and artists. Rock Band pioneered offering content in a variety of ways, through on-disc gameplay, game export, downloadable content and the Rock Band Network. The Rock Band platform allows fans to interact with their favorite music in a unique and hands-on way, as well as giving artists the ability to reach fans through a whole new channel.

For more information on Rock Band 3, art and video assets, please visit http://www.rockband.com/press.

*Conditions and restrictions apply. Please see retailer for details.
###

#615 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

Cancelling my GS pre-order and going with Amazon.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#616 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

Unfortunately, Amazon is currently only offering the $10 credit (I was hoping for $20, too) on the game itself and not the bundle.

155toba.gif2i6pefo.gif675n9f.gifhsl3pl.gif

#617 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

Personally I don't want the keytar...I want a new guitar. Currently trying to find out which one is the best one for the best price (360).

#618 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:02 AM

Wish it wasn't so close to the Gran Turismo 5 release date, but I will probably pick this up on launch day.

#619 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

Wish it wasn't so close to the Gran Turismo 5 release date, but I will probably pick this up on launch day.

Ditto. Looking at release dates I may just grab Fallout New Vegas and GT5 (both CEs) and hold off until there's a deal on this.

#620 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

http://www.joystiq.c...ntral-revealed/

Six new songs revealed for RB3 during Comic Con:

• "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears
  • "Rock Lobster" by The B-52s
  • "Foolin'" by Def Leppard
  • "Beautiful People" by Marilyn Manson
  • "Hey Man, Nice Shot" by Filter
  • "Cold as Ice" by Foreigner

I'm glad that they finally got around to Beautiful People since that was a song I was hoping would appear as DLC when they released some MM songs a few months ago. I'm surprised that they didn't go for Pour Some Sugar On Me from Def Leppard instead of Foolin'.

#621 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

http://www.eurogamer...-in-rock-band-3

10 new songs for Rock Band 3 have been announced:

"Get Up, Stand Up" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
"Need You Tonight" by INXS
"Antibodies" by Poni Hoax
"Du Hast" by Rammstein
"The Look" by Roxette
"Humanoid" by Tokio Hotel
"Killing Loneliness" by HIM
"Oye Mi Amor" by Maná
"Before I Forget" by Slipknot
"Low Rider" by War

#622 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

http://www.gamepro.c...-its-hilarious/

Harmonix responds to the leaked setlist by just revealing the entire thing in this video.

#623 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hahahahahaha, this is why I like Harmonix. Loving the setlist, a bit of everything.

#624 Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Yippie kai yay!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:23 AM

Anyone hear of any new RB3 bundle options besides game/keyboard? Or if there will be any upgraded drums (to go with the pro cymbals)?

My buy/sell/trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=230525

To the "If I send you an offer via PM, please respond to it even if you aren't interested" guy, I'm still waiting to hear back from you after I sent you a PM in July of 2009.

#625 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:10 AM

The only bundle at the moment is the keyboard bundle and any others are up to retailers for what they're willing to stock since Harmonix/Mad Catz don't want to fill up the aisles with more boxes.

I found a great article on the Rock Band site that describes almost anything you'd need to know about the keyboard controller:

Unless you're living in a cave, you've probably heard by now that Rock Band 3 is introducing a new peripheral – the keyboard! But what does that mean, and how does that work? I asked Sylvain Dubrofsky, Senior Designer extraordinaire, to chat a bit about the work he's been doing on keyboards.

So Sylvain, tell us about yourself!
I'm a Senior Designer at Harmonix. My main focus here on Rock Band 3 has been working on gameplay design. It's my privilege on behalf of all the developers working on gameplay to give you an in-depth peek into a new instrument for Rock Band 3: the keyboard!

Most important question first: What does the hardware look like?
The keyboard in Rock Band 3 is really unique. It's a wireless, two-octave keyboard that is playable as a keyboard (on your lap, stand, or coffee table) or standing with a strap. The performance aspect of Rock Band is important, so we want to give players the ability to stand up and rock if they choose.

Take a look:
Posted Image
Behold The Keyboard!

Built into the keyboard are the console controls. You'll also notice that the keyboard has a button to deploy Overdrive and a touch strip to control a cool filter modulation effect whenever Overdrive is deployed.

One last cool thing – the keyboard is a full, two-octave MIDI keyboard. Just connect the MIDI output to any MIDI-compliant device and you're set!

So, how do I use the Keyboard Controller to play keys in Rock Band 3?
Keyboards in Rock Band 3 have two main modes of play: "Keys" and "Pro Keys". Like every other instrument in Rock Band, you can either play these modes solo or play as part of a full band.

The design goals for keys were pretty simple:

• Needs to be party accessible
  • Needs to be familiar to people who like Rock Band already
  • Needs to be as simple as possible while still feeling authentic and keyboard-like
Pro Keys, however, had a different set of design goals:

• It needs to be "Pro." In other words, I should be having fun playing an actual keys part.
  • Every note is always an accurate pitch.
  • Every part is technically possible to play with one hand. That's important if you're playing while standing.
  • Songs can use every key of the two-octave keyboard.
With these goals in mind and after a bunch of time in development, we've come up with something really fun and rewarding.

What does the straight "Keys" mode look like?
Posted Image
Basic Key Track on Expert

Looks familiar, right?

Playing Keys Mode is pretty simple. Each of the five white keys from the C key to the G key will smash a note on the lanes from left to right. There's also a handy guide on the Keyboard to show you where those keys are if you're not musically inclined.

As you'd expect, players can also pick a difficulty from Easy to Expert.

That looks a lot like the standard guitar track. Can I play guitar and bass tracks on the keyboard too?
You sure can! As well as Keys and Pro Keys, you can also choose to play guitar and bass parts on the keyboard for any song in the Rock Band Music Library. So if the keyboard peripheral is the only one you have, you can still play different parts in the game!

That's pretty cool for starters, but the Pro Keys mode sounds like it's more up my alley. How does that even work in a Rock Band game?
Let's check out the track:
Posted Image
Key Notes

For Pro Keys, we always show 10 white keys (of the possible 15) at a time. After much iteration with different track sizes and layouts, we determined this to be an ideal range to show in any band configuration.

To help players understand what key to press, we came up with a color scheme that chunks the two octaves of the keyboard into five color regions. Additionally, lines extend into the distance from the black keys. These visual cues are also on the hardware and are important for determining which of the many possible notes are coming down the track.

That's a fair chunk of data. How do I know where my hand is when I'm playing?
Whenever a key is pushed down, the lane for that key will light up, as you can see here.

Posted Image
Key Held Down

This is a good visual indicator for where your hand is. It's really handy for making sure you're looking at the screen rather than looking down at the hardware. This currently held key highlight also serves as a useful pivot for where you will need to press to get the next note.

Speaking of notes, these are what notes look like on the track:
Posted Image
Key Notes

Notes are either white or black. Black keys are smaller and are positioned on one of the lines extending from the black keys on the track. The position of a note on the color region indicates which key needs to be pressed to smash the note.

How hard is this to pick up?
Just like every Rock Band instrument, Pro Keys has four difficulty levels, from Easy to Expert.

We've found that jumping right in to Pro Keys on Easy or even Medium is very similar to the experience you may remember from playing guitar or drums the first time. After a song or two, it becomes second nature.

As you go up in difficulty, the game definitely gets challenging. Chords, trills, glissandos and other cool keyboard things are introduced as you choose harder difficulty levels.

If youre looking for the next thing to try to master, Expert Pro Keys is definitely a huge challenge!

You mentioned chords just before. What do those look like when they show up?
Here's a good example of a chord from a song on Medium:
Posted Image
Keys On Medium

In addition to notes existing at the same point in time, chords also have a base that connects the notes. In this example, the chords are also sustained, which means the keys should be held down after the notes are smashed for maximum points. Chords can be two notes on Medium, up to three notes on Hard, and up to four notes on Expert.

Wait, if you're only showing ten lanes at once, how do you fit a two octave keyboard on screen?
See how the track above is showing a different color range from our previous example? Our audio team picks the best range of the track for every song and every difficulty. On Easy and Medium, the range will never change within a song. However, when Hard or Expert difficulty is selected, the track can shift to show a different portion of the keyboard while the song is playing!

This is how track shifting works: The four beats before a track shift have arrows on the track that indicate the direction of the track shift. The track then will shift to the side, revealing a different portion of the keyboard. Track shifts are important at higher difficulties so we can properly display notes for songs with a lot of range.

This is awesome. Any last words or thoughts you want to leave the rockband.com audience with?
As a person who posted to RockBand.com before I worked at Harmonix, thank you for your continued interest in the Rock Band franchise. Stay tuned - we have more really exciting stuff to show off soon!

Some more RB3 details from Rock Band Aide:

The first thing is the mention of the new Goal from Dan Teasdale that is the “spiritual successor” to the Bladder of Steel. The new Goal in Rock Band 3 is called “Obsessive Compulsive,” and involves “hitting every note in Rock Band 3.” …I know. It does not need to be done in a single sitting, however. No further details on this right now, but this makes the Bladder of Steel look like child’s play.

@HMXHenry commented that while they have not committed to “upgrading” existing DLC, he said that Harmonix is open to hearing requests from the community as to what they may like to see “upgraded” to Rock Band 3. How convenient, as I have a post nearly all ready to go with 400+ respondents providing just that!

As for pro-guitar compatibility, @OneOfSwords mentioned that the new Squier guitar will NOT be playable on normal charts, and @ElektraFi said that Harmonix commented that the Mustang, because of its buttons, “should.”

There is career paths for ALL instruments (including bass).

The Rock Band 3 Music Store will feature LOTS of enhancements, and will integrate RBN tracks MUCH better than before, mostly being that all tracks (official and RBN) will be featured in the same place.

#626 madbst

madbst

Recquiescat In Pace

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:01 AM

I haven't played RB in months so I probably won't be getting RB3 when it comes out. But how about the Snoop Dogg 8 pack? I'm about to get a couple songs just to see how hip hop works in RB.
Posted Image

Posted Image

^^^ Amazon gift card count so far: $650 ^^^

#627 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

Harmonix was on the new Giant Bomb live show with Rock Band 3 and one of the things they mentioned was that they're switching to RB3 DLC (with pro mode and keyboards) when the game launches. That means that RB1/2 people will not be getting any more DLC if they don't buy RB3.

#628 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

http://blog.us.plays...sale-next-week/

Songs, track packs, and albums are going on sale from the 21st to the 5th:

• R.E.M – Losing My Religion (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • Flyleaf – Again (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • Avenged Sevenfold – Bat Country (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • The Runaways – Cherry Bomb (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • Anberlin – Feel Good Drag (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • Stone Temple Pilots – Interstate Love Song (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • Jane’s Addiction Nothing’s Shocking Album (now $7.99, original price $15.99)
  • Megadeth Rust in Peace (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
  • Pantera The Great Southern Trendkill Album (now $7.99, original price $15.99)
  • Rush Moving Pictures Album (now $5.49, original price $10.99)
  • Slipknot 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • Night Ranger 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • Foreigner 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • Rise Against 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • The Offspring 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • The White Stripes 02 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • Nine Inch Nails 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • Foo Fighters 03 Track Pack (now $3.49, original price $6.99)
  • REO Speedwagon/Styx Tour ’09 Track Pack (now $5.49, original price $10.99)
  • Creedence Clearwater Revival 01 Track Pack (now $9.99, original price $19.99)

#629 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

Gotta pick up Creedence Clearwater Revival this week then. Thanks for the deal posting Frisky!

#630 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

WHAT THE Fuck. Now you will have to buy the keyboard and game separately for PS3. Nothing too big really, but this means you have to pay an extra 10 dollars and possibly extra for Shipping and Handling two items rather than one.

Hey gang,

You may have seen that retailers have taken down the Rock Band 3 keyboard/software bundle pre-orders for PlayStation 3. Unfortunately, this SKU will not be available in the U.S. (including Canada and Mexico) due to the agreement terms for the region. However, Mad Catz and MTV Games are working with those retailers that accepted pre-orders to enable them, if they choose, to honor those pre-orders placed prior to this change as soft bundles (separate discs and keyboards), at pre-order pricing. These retailers will have more details shortly.

Please note:

· Moving forward, the keyboard and Rock Band 3 software will continue to be available as stand-alone products for PlayStation 3 in the US.

· This does not affect European customers as the Rock Band 3 keyboard/software PS3 bundles will still be available in Europe.

· The Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii keyboard/software bundles are still available for pre-order.

For more Rock Band 3 news, please keep posted to the Announcement forum and upcoming press releases.

http://www.rockband....ad.php?t=201785

Recently, fans began noticing that the PS3 Rock Band 3 keyboard bundle had disappeared from US retailer listings. The $130 bundle is still available for pre-order on Xbox and WIi, and both the keyboard and game are available separately on PS3. Just ... no bundle. And that means that Rock Band 3 and the keyboard, together, are effectively ten dollars more expensive on PS3.

Harmonix addressed this baffling omission today, announcing that due to "the agreement terms for the region," the PS3 keyboard bundle will not be available in the US, though the game and keyboard will be available separately. "This does not affect European customers as the Rock Band 3 keyboard/software PS3 bundles will still be available in Europe," the announcement states. We've contacted the developer to find out what exactly this agreement entails. If Harmonix sings, we'll let you know.

http://www.joystiq.c...-be-sold-in-us/