Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

GTA Chinatown Wars

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#241 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

It's really unfortunate this game didn't sell... and I must admit to not helping matters. I only recently got it, and that from goozex. It's a really fantastic game. I wish it had sold better as I'd really like there to be a sequel. I suppose we might get that on the iPhone, though - I can see this selling like crazy on that platform. Have the sales numbers for the PSP version been published? Did it do any better there?

As far as preferring to play a GTA game on the big screen... I actually bought this game because I just discovered the GTA series via GTA IV on the 360. Well, I've actually ended up stopping midstream in the 360 game and have been playing the DS game non-stop. I think I actually prefer the DS game. Which isn't to say that I don't like GTA IV. I actually was really loving it, but once I got the DS game I just found myself more compelled to play it for some reason. Go figure.

#242 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:03 AM

The PSP version didn't do better than the DS version and it was mostly due to control wise issues.

Just an echo of what I said earlier with Joystiq stating that Nintendo doesn't support third party games, like this is new news or anything.
http://www.joystiq.c...rt-third-parti/

I think the main reason not a lot of people grabbed GTA China Wars compared to its brother GTAIV on the 360 was the top down perspective which many thought was going the wrong way. I loved the original GTAs so I didn't mind so much and yeah I enjoyed it more because of that direction as well.
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#243 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:10 AM

Have the sales numbers for the PSP version been published? Did it do any better there?

"4 digits (XXXX)" was the range given in October for the PSP version. So yeah, less than 10k, not counting PSN sales, in the first month. By comparison the DS version, sold 86k in March and 74k in April (160k total as of April, but it has likely passed 200k by now).

#244 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

"4 digits (XXXX)" was the range given in October for the PSP version. So yeah, less than 10k, not counting PSN sales, in the first month.

That is criminal.

#245 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:48 AM

I completed the main story a few days ago. Took me something over 12 hours, close to 13. It still says I've only completed about 57% of the game, though.

What are those things that look a bit like animations of atomic particles? Hopefully you understand what I'm talking about. I've tried walking and driving into them but nothing seems to happen. Surely they must be something?

#246 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:17 AM

I completed the main story a few days ago. Took me something over 12 hours, close to 13. It still says I've only completed about 57% of the game, though.

What are those things that look a bit like animations of atomic particles? Hopefully you understand what I'm talking about. I've tried walking and driving into them but nothing seems to happen. Surely they must be something?

I did the same thing and found out that they're potential spots (items are random at these places) for the two items that you have to find at the end of the game via rockstar club I think. (like 2 stolen museum pieces or whatever). I actually found em fairly quickly although I saw these strange places before and had them marked on my map haha!

So hey China Wars won best handheld on Spike's VGA show tonight, so there's that.
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3

#247 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:49 PM

Ah, I got an email saying that there were
Spoiler
- I take it that is what you're talking about? Unfortunately I didn't mark those locations, so I'm just going to have to hope I run across them. I found one such spot today, but no luck at that one. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to play the game, but I've been buying and selling drugs, originally with the intent to see if you get anything for earning some amount of money, but today turned to stocking up on weapons and having battles with police to get to six star wanted and survive as long as possible. First attempt: 47 seconds. Ouch. Don't sit still and try to shoot a tank, that's my advice now. ;^)

#248 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

Whenever you come across those swirls just put a GPS pin in 'em. It will make it a LOT easier to find the dragons at the end of the game.

#249 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

Spoiler
- I take it that is what you're talking about? Unfortunately I didn't mark those locations, so I'm just going to have to hope I run across them. I found one such spot today, but no luck at that one. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to play the game, but I've been buying and selling drugs, originally with the intent to see if you get anything for earning some amount of money, but today turned to stocking up on weapons and having battles with police to get to six star wanted and survive as long as possible. First attempt: 47 seconds. Ouch. Don't sit still and try to shoot a tank, that's my advice now. ;^)

Haha unless you're Ironman yeah I think that's probably good advice.

You can collect the two lion statues only at the end of the game (an extra thing to do).

#250 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:59 AM

Spoiler

There's a map on the official site that shows where the statues may appear. It was slightly wrong last time I checked though, and I wasted about 20 minutes looking for something that isn't there.

#251 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:53 AM

Xplay gave the game the best handheld of 09 award and then afterwards were like but nobody bought it!? I did, oh oh pick me (I'm donkey in Shrek, I did I did lol)