True Blood Official Discussion: Season 3 starts Sun. June 13th!

Richlough

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Amazon links for CheapyD

41zznyf6C-L._SL75_SS50_.jpg

DVD
http://www.amazon.com/True-Blood-Complete-First-Season/dp/B001FB4W0W/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

ref=pd_cp_d_1_img

Blu-ray
http://www.amazon.com/True-Blood-Complete-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B001FB4W16/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

It's on Sunday's and this week [09-23-2008] marks it's 3rd episode .

It reminds me of X-men , not just because it stars Anna Paquin , if you switch the mutants for vampires .
I'll leave it at that .

I highly recommend it if you have HBO .

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pacifickarma']I dunno... I saw some commercials and it just struck me as being for the goth/emo teenage girl set. Not really my cup o' tea.[/QUOTE]

This show is NOT for teenagers... it is an HBO show... there is the usual amount of sex and nudity.... it is decent so far... not on a par yet with the best HBO shows or some of Showtime's better ones, but there is potential

My wife are watching it. The past episode was the make or break for us and after it was over we still didn't know if we wanted to stop watching. The whole scene with Suki at the vampire house and the bad vampires was just corny. But when they started bringing up elders and hinted on older vampires it peeked my interest. Will probably watch next week.

I have to play catch up on it, as HBO shows it in HD about 1/4th of the amount of it not being in HD. I think I should have all three episodes by this weekend, then I'll give it a look and see how it is.

It's no Dexter but it's well worth setting aside a few minutes to watch it (or at least the first episode was for me). Could anyone give me a brief synopsis of the second and third episodes (assuming the third was aired)? I missed them both.

I was wondering why a thread hadn't yet been created for this show. We've been watching it, and enjoy it so far. Can't wait to find out
who the "higher authority" is in the vampire clan.

[quote name='shrike4242']I have to play catch up on it, as HBO shows it in HD about 1/4th of the amount of it not being in HD.[/QUOTE]
Can someone translate this sentence for me?

Well from what I can make of it either HBO cut off the rest of the show or he refuses to watch the remainder of it in standard definition.

[quote name='pete5883']I think I get it. The HBO HD channel plays it less often than the HBO SD channels do?[/QUOTE]

Yes. only HBO 1 (at least here) is HD. All the replays are SD. Thats fine, HBO should get with the times and offer HD On Demand already. Even Encore has HD On Demand.

The show isnt all that terrible. I usually hate all vampire shows so didnt expect much from this. Its something to watch that wont bore you anyways. Only show I watch on HBO, seems like all the good shows end up on Showtime.

It isn't a bad show, i'll keep watching for a while at least. The vampires in the show seem to be a metaphor for other real life minorities to me. Seems to be a way of making a statement without coming off as preachy or boring.

@JolietJake - I heard that the vamps are really a metaphor for gays. How vamps want rights and are 'Coming out of the Cofin'. Either way an interesting story.

So far True Blood has been mildly entertaining but definitely has the depth of story to promise a great series.
Episodes 1-3 definitely set up a story that isn't just about vamps, how there could be other "special people" like Sookie or werewolfs? Whats the deal w/ the bar guy, can he actually xform into a dog(could have been his "brother" when that dog came up to him on the stairs). I want more violence and im sure that will wont be a problem once the story gets rolling.

[quote name='naiku']@JolietJake - I heard that the vamps are really a metaphor for gays. How vamps want rights and are 'Coming out of the Cofin'. Either way an interesting story.

So far True Blood has been mildly entertaining but definitely has the depth of story to promise a great series.
Episodes 1-3 definitely set up a story that isn't just about vamps, how there could be other "special people" like Sookie or werewolfs? Whats the deal w/ the bar guy, can he actually xform into a dog(could have been his "brother" when that dog came up to him on the stairs). I want more violence and im sure that will wont be a problem once the story gets rolling.[/QUOTE]

I thought that about the dog too , until he was feeding him later .
I thought there might be a little 'Underworld' action .

[quote name='homeland']My wife are watching it. The past episode was the make or break for us and after it was over we still didn't know if we wanted to stop watching. The whole scene with Suki at the vampire house and the bad vampires was just corny. But when they started bringing up elders and hinted on older vampires it peeked my interest. Will probably watch next week.[/quote]

That is the problem I have with the show. Most of the typical vampire stuff is not that good at all - it is just corny. The sex in the show is gratuitous and really has no value at all.

What keeps me watching (I am halfway through the 3rd episode) is the information about vampires that keeps trickling out. The information about nesting vampires, vampire blood's benefits to humans, Hep D, how silver affects them, etc., are the parts that are interesting to me.

The characters are pretty shallow but that could be because the show is still early, and Sookie's friend keeps my finger dangerously close to the Fast Forward button.

I'll keep watching, but I'm unsure whether I really like it or not.

i am borderline on stopping watching it...i watched it because I am a sucker for vampire shit...IMO the storylines/drama are poor, the dialog is poor, and the vampire shit has been horrible...but they keep tossing me a little bit of shit to make me suck it up and watch one more episode.

I need to watch this series. Primarily 'cause I like vampire fiction.

Sidebar, I'm still waiting for A Game of Thrones to go into production for HBO.

as of now, there has been very little in regards to vampire fiction...more a soft core weak ass drama series that teases vampire folklore

[quote name='ryanbph']as of now, there has been very little in regards to vampire fiction...more a soft core weak ass drama series that teases vampire folklore[/quote]

Oh. :whistle2:( So, it's like Moonlight? Disappointing.

[quote name='ryanbph']i am borderline on stopping watching it...i watched it because I am a sucker for vampire shit...IMO the storylines/drama are poor, the dialog is poor, and the vampire shit has been horrible...but they keep tossing me a little bit of shit to make me suck it up and watch one more episode.[/quote]

Yeah, I doubt this one's gonna win any Emmys.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']
What keeps me watching (I am halfway through the 3rd episode) is the information about vampires that keeps trickling out. The information about nesting vampires, vampire blood's benefits to humans, Hep D, how silver affects them, etc., are the parts that are interesting to me.

The characters are pretty shallow but that could be because the show is still early, and Sookie's friend keeps my finger dangerously close to the Fast Forward button.

I'll keep watching, but I'm unsure whether I really like it or not.[/QUOTE]

I liked how he told her he had to be invited in her house .
As soon as I noticed he hesitated , I remembered the Lost Boys .

On that note , is it because he inherited the house he is in that he is allowed to enter it ?

its a good enough show but they should trim the cast down some too many people can water down the plot a bit and slow down whatever it is theyre trying to do with the overall story .

the most interesting characters so far to me are the vamp , the grandmother and the angry black chick ( her name escapes me). ana paquins character is ok too but shes pretty basic in a way.

as far as that dog goes i figured maybe it was bills protector or watchdog ( since sometimes vampires have animals that look over them durign the day ) but since vampires exist whose to say werewolves dont too as well as other monster types. and since you only see the dog at night who knows.

[quote name='Chase']
Sidebar, I'm still waiting for A Game of Thrones to go into production for HBO.[/quote]

Other than my brother you are the first person I've heard that even knows about this. HBO just bought the rights though according to GRRM himself. Now all that's left is a green light. So far they've just been doing location scouting in Spain and Czech Republic. So that should give you an idea how the castles are going to look in this series if they give it the green light.

When (and if) they ultimately make this show, it's going to absolutely dominate everything else on TV. Probably get a lot of bad press too from all the people who think it's a kid's show and find out the hard way that it's most definitely not. "Wow, it's like Lord of the Rings...er, did that lady just fuck her brother? CHILDREN AVERT YOUR EYES!"

[quote name='Chase']Oh. :whistle2:( So, it's like Moonlight? Disappointing.[/quote]

IMO moonlight was better :(...and less vampires action in this series, I know moonlight didn't have much but it did have more then this:roll:

[quote name='ivanctorres']Worth getting HBO for?[/QUOTE]

The first episode is available at Blockbuster for rental . [at least it's at my loacl store]

If you're curious check it out .

[quote name='Richlough']The first episode is available at Blockbuster for rental . [at least it's at my loacl store]

If you're curious check it out .[/quote]

Be careful with that one, though. One of my buddies got a copy, and when he got home, the disc didn't work on several different devices.

Entourage is so overrated. That lousy show never goes anywhere. It's the Groundhog Day of TV shows.

Well, then there's always "Cathouse" or "Hookers at the Point".

well hbo is worth getting if you have on demand with it then you can watch some of the old great series they had that should never have been cancelled like carneivale or deadwood.......damn i miss deadwood. but i wouldnt get hbo just to see trueblood.

I just watched the first 2 episodes (finally) and they were pretty good. I'm starting to think Stephenie Meyer stole all of her ideas for Twilight from this show (or the books the show is based on).

I stopped watching it; the whole "reading peoples' minds (except the minds that matter the most, the vampires) turned me off.

So what now .. Sookie
is a vampire too?
. And I agree that Sam Malotte is up to no good. He can shape shift into a dog or something weird is going on with him.

Also, I

[quote name='JolietJake']The only thing that gets on my nerves about this show is the southern accents, they sound horrible.[/quote]

yeah considering theyre from new orleans i believe alot of the southern accents are way off. i like bills the guy does it pretty naturally everyone else for the most part is trying too hard or not enough. then again not eveyone in the south has an accent.

[quote name='JolietJake']Sookie's friend is the worst, it just sounds so fake.[/quote]

yeah if it wasnt for the funny shit she says id completly tune her out. the grandmothers accent is perfect to. the same way the british hate it when americans do a crappy version of their accent southerns feel the same way.

[quote name='JolietJake']But all of the times we've seen him at night, he never turns. Unless all of those times were without a full moon.[/quote]

Yeah, I had considered that, too. He's a little psycho, though, turning on Sookie the way he did.

And about the accents, the only ones to truly sound authentic is Lafayette (who cracks me up every episode) and also Rene (he actually sounds Creole). I suppose that detective guy sounds pretty authentic, too.

"Oh shit, I forgot my pen."

"Leave it.":D

Last edited by a moderator:
That was funny ash hell when Lafayette confronted that redneck in the bar. He totally humiliated the guy right in front of his friends.:lol:

But yeah, Tara's accent would be completely unbearable if she wasn't so bat shit insane.

the bar owner is definitely the one killing the chicks...

my girlfriend is also suspicious of the dog and what that's all about

[quote name='JolietJake']Sookie's friend is the worst, it just sounds so fake.[/quote]

She is the worst actress on the show as well. I'm liking the show a lot more now than I was originally. It still isn't anything spectacular, but it is fun to watch.

It's making me want to read some of the Sookie Stackhouse books now to see how all this stuff was handled in the original books.

Why did
Bill repeat that detective's last name, as if he was surprised to hear it? I was thinking that it may be the name of the female vamp who had bitten him back during the war.

bread's done
Back