Iowa Deal Thread and Iowa Cheapass gamers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Cyrian

Cyrian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

Half-Price Books (Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Omaha) are good to check out. Since it's a used bookstore it's of course pretty hit or miss, but when they hit they really hit. They stock retro stuff too.

#32 SilentBob50023

SilentBob50023

Kneel Before Zod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I completely forgot to mention Jay's CD & Hobby (in Des Moines on SE 14th St) on my last post.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.jayscdand...38/Default.aspx

#33 N1ntendo

N1ntendo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

I live in Council Bluffs, IA but I go to Game Vault in Omaha, NE. They seem to have the lowest used prices in town, and if they don't they price match it most times. I have gotten Modern Warfare 3 PS3 for $15 there on occasion. Gamers has gone a little crazy on their pricing as of late. They have a copy of Earthbound for $250 damaged cart only while Game Vault has one for $190 in perfect condition. You be the judge.

#34 Cyrian

Cyrian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Gamers' prices are ridiculous. I don't even bother going in there anymore. Anything old they have you can usually just go home and find it on ebay for significantly cheaper. Video Games Etc is also usually a lot more reasonable.

#35 merchie89

merchie89

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

Im in Omaha but am all over Iowa frequently seeing family and friends.

Game Vault in Omaha is decent for old stuff but you pay basic retail prices.. CD tradepost is semi-decent
(Actual register date 3/3/2009, not sure why I switched accounts)

#36 SilentBob50023

SilentBob50023

Kneel Before Zod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

Gamers' prices are ridiculous.

I don't disagree, and that's part of the reason their trade-in values are a little higher than GameStop or Best Buy. It's a good place to trade games and then buy XBL Gold or MS Points cards, but they charge stinkin' sales tax on those (GS and BB don't).

#37 JoeyIA

JoeyIA

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

It seems like the Video Games Etc(s) in CR and Coralville are like, 90% used DVDs.

#38 N1ntendo

N1ntendo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

From Council Bluffs, IA here.  I tend to check out Comic City here in Council Bluffs.  Avoid thelarger one as they don;t like to sell their products.  The smaller one is very good though.  When I go to Omaha I tend to check out Game Vault.  They have overstock sales where I have gotten Skyrim for $15 and MW3 for like $12 before.  They just got in a complete boxed Earthbound as well as they advertised that they bought in Stadium Events recently.  Very nice store.

#39 parkerbrows76

parkerbrows76

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Monmouth, IL here which is 30 minutes from Iowa. Originally from Ft. Madison. I am all over burlington, davenport, bettendorf, iowa city. 

#40 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

If anyone here or anyone you know is interested in Magic The Gathering, Yeti Gaming, a TCG store in the STL area, is doing a Standard tournament on Saturday for an Alpha Mox Emerald that sells on the open market for just under $1000. $25 entry fee, standard constructed format with M14 legal.

Spoiler

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#41 Skaarg

Skaarg

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Pixels Video Games in Ames, IA is doing a sale on their Xbox 360 Systems. Buy a discounted system and get 20% off your used games.

Original Style (They don't sell ones without HDMI ports)

20GB - $99.95

60GB - $104.95

120GB - $134.95

Slim

4GB - $119.95

250GB - $179.95

320GB - $199.95

This even applies on limited edition consoles.

#42 N1ntendo

N1ntendo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hey guys Game Vault is doing a huge Black Friday sale and I pulled their info off of their facebook and made a list of their sale games as well on the main Regional Deal Thread.

#43 Dallas12Cowboys

Dallas12Cowboys

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Edit: delete

#44 Necremis

Necremis

Vampire Killer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

I just moved to council bluffs/omaha area from dallas. Ill keep my eyes and ears open for deals and post accordingly.

sml_gallery_350177_8317_52736.jpg

#45 dochsale

dochsale

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

still available ?

#46 SephirothWF

SephirothWF

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:17 AM

If anyone is in the Decorah area, Mr. Groovy's in downtown is closing at the end of July. They are a used movie/music/game/electronics store. Right now their closing sale is 40% off last I checked. This includes all systems (they don't have next-gen tho) and games (and everything in the store). Their selection isn't that good, but they have quite a bit of older stuff and some harder to find stuff that usually go for $10 - $20.

The owner isn't knowledgeable about video games and uses Gamestop's used prices as his guide. If it's older than what Gamestop has, then he gets eBay or Amazon, but even then he misses a lot. Picked up Silent Hill, Wild Arms 1 & 2, Alundra, Breath of Fire IV, and Vagrant Story all for $2.99 each when he first opened 2-3 years ago. He had them with his normal copies and not behind the case with the rare stuff.

If anyone is interested in what rare stuff he has, I can always check. I do recall seeing X-Files for PS1 there since he first opened. Poor poor X-Files.