CAG Foreplay #54: Two Weeks in a Row

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 dbzeng

dbzeng

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:00 PM

whats the song at the end of the podcast?

#32 Magitek85

Magitek85

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:00 AM

The wii is the only system I have that I do turn on for brief moments of time. When I take the kid to bed but my wife hasn't come up yet so we can watch some tv on dvd, I turn on the wii and play some vc games, dr. mario, mega man 9, or strongbad. Got one of the remotes lying in between the pillows for easy access.

#33 Shady3011

Shady3011

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:00 AM

How can you tools not know the opening song is from the Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic 2? You all suck.

Not that Ship needs anyone to defend him, but I got the impression that the reason he wouldn't recommend Mega Man 9 had less to do with the difficulty and more to do with the fact that if you were willing to do a little looking, I think you could find the Megaman Anniversary Collection or the Mega Man X Collection for either $10 or just a bit more used and get a TON more (of a similar style) game for your buck.

That's an unfair comparison. First off, the X series isn't just a carbon copy of the Mega Man series. They play pretty differently to be considered similar. As for price, depending on your choice of console it might not be anything less than $20. Believe, I'm still trying to get a copy of the X Collection for the GameCube.

As for MM9's price, you could make the exact same argument about other games on Live. The difference here is that this is a brand new game that has a lot to offer for the price of admission. Most companies would have simply phoned it in and called it a day. Really, if you think this is priced too high, then you must think Bionic Commando Rearmed is a rip off.

And let me save you all the trouble and say MM9 trounces 4, 5, 6, and 8. Not that it really took much to one up those though.

Oh yeah, I'm talking to you, Ship. Maybe this other dude as well if he has the same stance as you.

Okay, now I'm confused since I was talking to him but indirectly to you sort of. Just answer what is relevant to you. Or don't and I win by default somehow.

#34 terpkristin

terpkristin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:13 PM

Definitely enjoyed having 2 weeks in a row. :) ship, I'll be looking forward to your opinions on Sonic: Dark Chronicles when you get it. I read somewhere (Game Informer?) that the only stylus stuff was when you were using your special skills...I kind of hope that's the case, I really don't like stylus-controlled games, but either way, I'm not going to pick it up for awhile, too much of a darn backlog (in part due to your show last week, grr...) :D

/tk
terpkristin
Find me on XBLA and PSN as terpkristin
Wii: 4059 1919 9282 7625
Now Playing: trying to go through the stack of games...
Trying to update the blog regularly.. http://gimpygal.blogspot.com
http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com/

#35 Gillespee

Gillespee

Super Mario Striker!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

That's an unfair comparison. First off, the X series isn't just a carbon copy of the Mega Man series. They play pretty differently to be considered similar. As for price, depending on your choice of console it might not be anything less than $20. Believe, I'm still trying to get a copy of the X Collection for the GameCube.

As for MM9's price, you could make the exact same argument about other games on Live. The difference here is that this is a brand new game that has a lot to offer for the price of admission. Most companies would have simply phoned it in and called it a day. Really, if you think this is priced too high, then you must think Bionic Commando Rearmed is a rip off.

First off, simply saying that the X series is slightly different doesn't cut it for me. That's like saying Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World are nothing alike - some details may have changed but the core gameplay is there. And even if you throw out the crappy original MM games out of the Anniversary Collection, you're still getting a much better deal to buy it over a single similar experience (which is good, that's not what I'm debating) for $!0.

I think the difference between most games on Live and Mega Man 9 is that even if they are ports, they have been updated in some way. You use Bionic Commando Rearmed as an example (which is a game that I have paid for myself.) It is the same game, but with better graphics and new bosses. I think many people who bought it would not have bought it if they had put up a straight up port of the original NES game. MM9 is, of course, a brand-new game but the production values of an 80's game. I think I would have been a lot more interested if they had made a cool 2.5D MM9 with updated graphics and cool effects. Just to me, that would be a lot more worth the $10.

#36 Shady3011

Shady3011

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:33 PM

First off, simply saying that the X series is slightly different doesn't cut it for me. That's like saying Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World are nothing alike - some details may have changed but the core gameplay is there. And even if you throw out the crappy original MM games out of the Anniversary Collection, you're still getting a much better deal to buy it over a single similar experience (which is good, that's not what I'm debating) for $!0.

I think the difference between most games on Live and Mega Man 9 is that even if they are ports, they have been updated in some way. You use Bionic Commando Rearmed as an example (which is a game that I have paid for myself.) It is the same game, but with better graphics and new bosses. I think many people who bought it would not have bought it if they had put up a straight up port of the original NES game. MM9 is, of course, a brand-new game but the production values of an 80's game. I think I would have been a lot more interested if they had made a cool 2.5D MM9 with updated graphics and cool effects. Just to me, that would be a lot more worth the $10.

While I'll concede some people might see the classic series and X as two peas in a pod, from a gameplay perspective they aren't SMB3 to SMW changes. The X series has always had a focus on action over level design, so that plays a big role in their differences.

As for the Anniversary Collection, you seem to be ignoring the fact that it isn't $10 cheap. At the same time, throwing out those other games, which is half of the collection mind you, destroys the value of that collection. Let's not forget that these games might frustrate players even more then MM9 might.

As for enhancements, I don't see how the look devalues the fact that it's a brand new game. While I would have been satisfied with the original Mega Man with better graphics ala Powered Up, knowing that they made a brand new Mega Man instead of just phoning it in makes me glad they didn't. Really, at the end of the day it seems you value style over substance. Then again, I should concede this is a game for fans rather than for the general consensus. However, I do think this game is worth $10 considering what you get for them.

#37 Gillespee

Gillespee

Super Mario Striker!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:44 AM

Your opinion has been noted. I think you're style over substance comment was a little harsh, but I suppose that it takes all kinds to keep those game industries engines running. I think I'd rather have style and substance or only pay $5 for an 8-bit (style) game - even a brand new one.

BTW, have you tried Goozex yet to get the Gamecube version of the MegaMan X series? I waited a while, but I got one about a month ago finally.

#38 Shady3011

Shady3011

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:11 AM

I didn't mean for it to come out that way, but your post made it seem like that was your opinion. Sorry about that. The Internet is a very ambiguous place.

As for Goozex, I have an account but haven't tried anything other than old PSX games. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up.

#39 Link927

Link927

Work In Progress

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:20 AM

Ah, been pretty busy lately, missed the last few eps, good to finally sit down and listen to a new episode.

And who hasnt heard Hey There Delilah!?!? I know many people who dont know the artist (Plain White T's), but you should at least know the song....

Nothing to see here, move along!

#40 UltimoRey

UltimoRey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:49 PM

1. Spectacular Spider-man is a decent cartoon and not "stupid".
2. Megaman 9 is hard, but thats why you have to practice and learn some tricks. its a challange. I am not a "hardcore gamer" as some would define it, but i beat all the robot masters eventuallly. I havent fully takcked the rest of the game, but over time the gameplay becomes second nature. If you arent a megaman fan, it may take longer to adjust. Also I got it on WiiWare, due to the NES style control scheme, which makes it easier.
Posted Image

#41 terpkristin

terpkristin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:50 AM

And who hasnt heard Hey There Delilah!?!? I know many people who dont know the artist (Plain White T's), but you should at least know the song....

I didn't fess up originally, but honestly, I didn't know that the title of the song was Hey There Delilah. I just went to amazon.com and got the sample of the mp3, I wonder if there are others that just didn't realize that's what it's called (I've certainly never paid attention to the lyrics).

/tk
terpkristin
Find me on XBLA and PSN as terpkristin
Wii: 4059 1919 9282 7625
Now Playing: trying to go through the stack of games...
Trying to update the blog regularly.. http://gimpygal.blogspot.com
http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com/

#42 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:48 AM

I didn't mean for it to come out that way, but your post made it seem like that was your opinion. Sorry about that. The Internet is a very ambiguous place.

As for Goozex, I have an account but haven't tried anything other than old PSX games. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up.

I have found Goozex is best for things like that, or DS/PSP/PS2/XBox/Gamecube games, or maybe current-gen games that are like $40 or under at retail/used. If you're relying on Goozex to get newly released games, you'll likely be waiting a month-plus unless you get lucky or are spamming F5 on their site every few hours before midnight of a game's release to be near the top of their list (you can't put a game in the queue/on hold until it's released.)

They do give a better option than trading into Gamestop most times though. If it wasn't for the Gamestop promotion of trade 2 get $10 bonus, I would definately trade Rock Band 1 for 850 Goozex points vs. the $12.40 after bonuses and Edge that I will get tomorrow, but NBA 2K9 is calling me and I don't feel like waiting 1 month plus to get it.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#43 joserjerr

joserjerr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

You may have already covered this but I would be curious to know which verision of Fallout 3 the two of you are buying and why? I'm assuming it's a Day One purchase. My guess is is may be the Collector's Edition as the Amazon Survival version is asking a bit too much for a clock. Your thoughts?

#44 joserjerr

joserjerr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

You may have already covered this but I would be curious to know which verision of Fallout 3 the two of you are buying and why? I'm assuming it's a Day One purchase. My guess is is may be the Collector's Edition as the Amazon Survival version is asking a bit too much for a clock. Your thoughts?

As far as the name pronounciation goes for "joserjerr" it's just something I came up with awhile back. It combines both Mexican and Canadian influences.

Jose' and add the "r" so it's pronounced hoser (Bob & Doug McKenzie). Jerr is pretty much a no-brainer.