Metroid Prime Trilogy - Out of Print (Thanks, Nintendo!)

Doomed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Metroid...7400050000%26id%3D1218102963486&ref=39&loc=01

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/7y8SXfbq4nlR_ZO15BY3yHdKL7erLAnk
O18d4WGEPamtTGCJHv4jvybimpfSq8nB.jpg

---old post---
http://wii.ign.com/articles/915/915529p1.html
[quote name='IGN']Seven titles are currently on the way for the lineup. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat kicks things off on December 11[in Japan], and will be followed by Pikmin on December 25. In 2009, Nintendo plans on releasing Chibi Robo!, Pikmin 2, Mario Tennis GC, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Prime 2 Dark Echoes.[/quote]
fuck. Why can't Nintendo just reprint the damn games? The ONLY games I can see benefiting from waggle is Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 with Metroid Prime 3 controls.

Pikmin and its sequel get pretty intense with the button mashing during boss battles. If Nintendo replaces that with waggle a lot of people will be pissed. I also have no desire to move the Wii remote every time I want to pluck a Pikmin.

Chibi-Robo! is awesome though. Please, Nintendo. Don't mess with Chibi-Robo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, they'd be better off just reprinting them. I mean if it comes down to it I'd probably end up picking up mario tennis and both primes (AGAIN), but besides that the rest should be left alone.

Now I will DEF pick up Metroid Prime 1 and 2.
I said it before that they should do this! ::LAWSUIT::

They should also remake Luigi's Mansion. Luigi's Mansion would play really well with remote & nunchuck controls.

Remake Wii games?

WHY? Gamecube games don't look that bad in this age, especially when compared to Wii games. Hopefully this means they remake the gameplay itself, add online/good and nongimmicky motion controls and stuff.

Also, where's wave race, mario tennis, and f-zero wii? Do the essentials first, nintendo.

Some GC games look AMAZING with just component cables. TimeSplitters: Future Perfect looks perfect when you use the 16:9 and 480p. Pikmin 2 looks great with 480p.

Nintendo, free advise. Stay the course rereleasing them. Good idea. But here's some things you can and can't do.

Can:
Add 480p and 16:9 to games without them.
Include bonus content that DOES NOT change the course of the main game. (If I have to complete five more challenges in Pikmin 2 to unlock
the final cinema
, it's a failure.)
Add the option for Wii controls. Not everybody has a GC controller.

CANNOT:
Remove the option of using a GC controller
Take away content already there
Relese a game with no new content at a price over $20. Any over is just BS. I know RE4 got away with it, but Nintendo would be so much cooler in my book if they left these games at PC pricing.

When I first read this information, I saw it as a business tactic by Nintendo. Granted, everything is a business tactic in some way, but honestly, the first thing that came to mind is that Nintendo is trying to boost their repertoire of first party titles by providing titles that were available last gen. Titles that, I suppose they suppose, may get more attention and appreciation in the Wii's market which seems better positioned to support such quality titles.

I look at this as a way for Nintendo to say, "And in the 2008-2009 period, we produced 15 first party games!", when really, all we're seeing is rehashes with Wii controls. Is this a bad thing for gamers? I wouldn't say so, as Nintendo as a developer seems to have Wii controls spot-on. But still, it just seems to me a ploy by the big N to capitalize on existing software. But that's business.

The only games that I am not sure are GREAT out of all of those are Metroid Prime 2, DK Jungle Beat, and Mario Power Tennis. That's because I haven't played them.

[quote name='Doomed']The only games that I am not sure are GREAT out of all of those are Metroid Prime 2, DK Jungle Beat, and Mario Power Tennis. That's because I haven't played them.[/QUOTE]
Jungle Beat is IMO the superstar of that list. I'm no enemy to the Primes, but DKJB kicks tons of ass. I usually flip the bird to the tie-wearing monkey, but I got sucked into DKJB. It's fun, it looks great, and it's easy to pick up. Beats the hell out of your hands though.

My hope for a re-release of DKJB is that they find a way to better incorporate rhythm, timing, and an awareness of the stage music into the control. Would be cool if staying in time with the stage music made you move/attack faster. It's a great game in any case.

If this means I can finally afford a copy of Pikmin 2, I'm all for it.

As for the rest of the titles, I'm not sure what Wii controls will add to Chibi Robo or either of the Pikmin games. Jungle Beat and Metroid Prime were obvious, though I'm not sure I'll be able to justify the cost since I already own the originals. I'm disappointed that Mario Tennis is on there since it means we won't see a true Wii version for some time, but if online play is added I might find it in my heart to forgive them. ;)

I have no complaints, I'm tempted to put my GCN titles on eBay, but not until I find out if there are any material improvements.

They all better come with 480p/16:9. If not, they are already not worth it.
They all better come with a $29.99 tag or less like Resident Evil 4, or it will not be worth it.

That's pretty much it. I really doubt they'll add any type of WiFi..but, who knows. If they do, then it's an added bonus. If anything, they just need be widescreen games in 480p using Wii controls (with other controller scheme options, as always)

Looks like Pikmin's not gonna use much waggle, if any. Trailers show the pointer being used to aim Pikmin tosses and direct them as you would with the C-Stick. Dunno if I'll double-dip there, though I sure as hell will on the Primes. Don't care about that 16:9 business. I just want more Metroid.

I just picked up a used copy of Pikmin 2 a couple of weeks ago. When I took it to the counter, one of the clerks said sarcastically, "Wow, that game lasted about seven minutes." At first I thought he was critiquing the length of the game. Then I realized he meant he had just put the copy on the shelf a few minutes before I walked in.

So I guess there is at least some sort of a demand for these games. Although, since I have most of them for the Cube already, I doubt I'll want new versions with waggle.

I will definitely be picking up the Metroid Prime games (even though I own them already on the GC). I've been hoping for awhile they'd do that. Maybe if enough people buy it, they'll try and get another Metroid game.

Anyone think they'd do it for Wind Waker?

Hate to say it, but I'd bite. Don't think it would help Wind Waker that much outside of the archery (using the bow for the first time was my favourite part of TP), but it's fucking Wind Waker.

[quote name='The Crotch']Hate to say it, but I'd bite. Don't think it would help Wind Waker that much outside of the archery (using the bow for the first time was my favourite part of TP), but it's fucking Wind Waker.[/quote]
tWW>aLttP>tMC>the rest

The Wind Waker is the only 3D Zelda that is fun.

I'm envisioning this to be GBA Player's Choice Part 2: This Time It's Wii-rsonal

I.e., we'll get one line of games out, and then *poof.* Dead.

Nintendo doesn't give a shit about Metroid so I don't see that selling well. Pikmin might have decent sales. Mario Tennis will sell well due to the name alone. DKJB deserves to sell mad proper but it won't. Chibi Robo is sort of in the same boat as DKJB.

Abortion en route, people.

[quote name='Doomed']tWW>aLttP>tMC>the rest

The Wind Waker is the only 3D Zelda that is fun.[/quote]I loved WW, its by far my favourite 3D one, followed by MM, OoT and TP.

I'm on the fence. As long as this doesn't impede new releases, then fine, which is what I think this is. They have this huge gap to fill before some new AAA titles will be ready so this is a way to pass the time. Also pricing is huge. I don't think $30 will cut it for the core gamer that already played these games, it needs to be $20.

That being said, Pikmin seems like a good choice as well as Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart and the Metroid games. I don't see them double dipping on the Mario sports titles as it would conflict with the Wii sports/Mario titles.

[quote name='Corvin']I'm on the fence. As long as this doesn't impede new releases, then fine, which is what I think this is. They have this huge gap to fill before some new AAA titles will be ready so this is a way to pass the time. Also pricing is huge. I don't think $30 will cut it for the core gamer that already played these games, it needs to be $20.

That being said, Pikmin seems like a good choice as well as Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart and the Metroid games. I don't see them double dipping on the Mario sports titles as it would conflict with the Wii sports/Mario titles.[/quote]I agree that it's a good way to eat up time before the big-name games, but I'm a bit more flexible on the pricing. $30 for Pikmin? Probably not. $30 for Metroid? I'm in.

I'm in for all of them.......eventually.

If they launch between $20-30 I'll probably bite right away, but any more than that and I'm waiting for a sale. I'd love to play MP1-2 and Mario Power Tennis again though.

I'm pretty sure Wind Waker was confirmed a long time ago...?
Luigi's Mansion is a no-brainer too.

I would LOVE to see Eternal Darkness come back with Wii-controls but that may be a pipe-dream now that Silicon Knights is working w/Microsoft. :(

Chibi Robo? Why redo that game? Same with DK:JB, I got both for $10. Plus you know there will be a Mario Tennis for the Wii anyways. Just reprint some great selling GC games in a new cover.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Chibi Robo? Why redo that game? Same with DK:JB, I got both for $10. Plus you know there will be a Mario Tennis for the Wii anyways. Just reprint some great selling GC games in a new cover.[/QUOTE]

Retailers arent and will not carry Gamecube labeled games anymore. So if putting them in a white case moves 100,000k more units then mission accomplished.

The only one I don't get is Mario Tennis GC. Why is that one being remade? Don't you think it'd be more beneficial to Nintendo to make a new Mario Tennis game for Wii? I'm surprised it's not already in the works. Also surprised Double Dash isn't on the list because it's a lot better than MKWii (MKWii's 150cc/MM AI is way too aggressive).

Do I think MP2's Multiplayer will be wifi now? God I hope not. It's pretty bad. Unless they include Wii Speak support. I still think MP2's difficulty levels should be dropped though, at least against a couple of bosses.

But for $30 or less, I'm in for MP, MP2, and Pikmin 2. Maybe Pikmin 1.

[quote name='Gameboy415']
I would LOVE to see Eternal Darkness come back with Wii-controls but that may be a pipe-dream now that Silicon Knights is working w/Microsoft. :([/QUOTE]

Not a pipe dream at all. Dyack has said he has no qualms with working with Nintendo on a sequel. He just has his plate full right now with Too Human. MS doesn't own Silicon Knights.

My first thought was Metroid Prime 1 and 2..... seriously? They go for next to nothing on ebay so I can't imagine demand is all that high, Prime 1 especially. I'm wondering who this is really aimed at and as far as pricing goes anything over 20 is a ripoff . Out of the bunch I would only pick up Pikmin since I was never able to before.

Its not about demand. Its a matter of which games could be made better. Though in theory there is a good chunk of the install base that didnt play these games previously.

I never played the Metroid Primes or Pikmin because I dont feel that a traditional controller works with those kinds of games. Now I'll get a chance to play them for the first time.

Adding motion controls doesn't automatically make a game better. I played through Metroid Prime 1 and 2 and the controller was flawless with them. A wii version is just the same game with different controls, whether that will be preferable to using the gamecube controller remains to be seen.

I played Prime 1 for about 10 minutes before I quit. Analog sticks arent a legit option for that type of game to me. Clearly some people can do it.

The exact same game with a pointer is definitely preferable to me.

[quote name='coolsteel']Adding motion controls doesn't automatically make a game better. I played through Metroid Prime 1 and 2 and the controller was flawless with them. A wii version is just the same game with different controls, whether that will be preferable to using the gamecube controller remains to be seen.[/quote]

I don't think we're saying that the games are better, or that the games were horrible under the control schemes, but if it plays like MP3 then it 'will' be better.

I played the demos and didn't like the gamecube controls at all... but I can see how the wiimotes would have a huge advantage of adding better controls.

I'm looking forward to playing MP1/2 with Wii without using the gc pad.

I'm definitely looking forward to giving the Metroid Prime series a go if motion controls are well implemented. I really wanted to play MP3 but not without playing the other 2, which didn't appeal to me for the same reason it didn't appeal to Dr Mario Kart. Now with these re-releases, I'll get the chance to play Metroid Prime and Pikmin with (hopefully good) motion controls, and Nintendo gets my money.

I think a good example of motion controls can make a great game even better would be Resident Evil 4 Wii. After playing with the pointer, I just don't see myself ever going back to the Gamecube controller. Of course, Capcom made a smart move by including the traditional controls as an option as well, something a lot of games could've used. When it comes down to it, all I want is the option.

[quote name='coolsteel']Adding motion controls doesn't automatically make a game better. I played through Metroid Prime 1 and 2 and the controller was flawless with them. A wii version is just the same game with different controls, whether that will be preferable to using the gamecube controller remains to be seen.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I played Prime 1 for about 10 minutes before I quit. Analog sticks arent a legit option for that type of game to me. Clearly some people can do it.

The exact same game with a pointer is definitely preferable to me.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat with DMK. I picked up Metroid Prime, and couldn't play it due to the control scheme. Yet I have played through Corruption twice, and loved it.

Point being, the "traditional" control scheme for FPSes on consoles is something I've never liked or been able to get used to, so Metroid 1+2 being adapted for the Wiimote is a big draw for me. Aside from that, after playing with Corruption's control scheme, especially after playing with Corruption's control scheme it would be very difficult for me to try and go back and play the first two games using their original controls.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']
Point being, the "traditional" control scheme for FPSes on consoles is something I've never liked or been able to get used to, so Metroid 1+2 being adapted for the Wiimote is a big draw for me.[/quote]The first two Primes didn't use a traditional scheme, though...

Regardless, using the remoteis a huge step up on both traditional and MP1/2 controls. Now, there might be some additional stuff required, like more/smarter enemies (hopefully not just more durable) and maybe a bigger weakspot on Prime's exoskeleton to account for our decreased precision.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I played Prime 1 for about 10 minutes before I quit. Analog sticks arent a legit option for that type of game to me. Clearly some people can do it.

The exact same game with a pointer is definitely preferable to me.[/QUOTE]

As it is for me. I can play MP3. MP1 and 2, not so much.

One other thing: I can live with the fact that "waggle" has become a catch-all for "stuff the wiimote does", but I find it to be getting pretty misleading.

SHAKE THE REMOTE TO RUN! = Waggle

Moving around with the analog nunchuk and aiming with the IR remote =/= Waggle

Waggle, to me, means shaking motions replacing button pressing. This is, unforunately, often the case, but not always. (Honestly, I prefer "waggle" to button mashing any day. I've lost a few N64 controllers to Mario Party sessions.)

There are other things the wiimote control scheme is capable of and it definitely offers new life to these older games. I could see them maybe rereleasing Battalion Wars. Another title later in the GCN lifecycle whose sequel was improved by Wii controls.

[quote name='theflicker']
SHAKE THE REMOTE TO RUN! = Waggle

Moving around with the analog nunchuk and aiming with the IR remote =/= Waggle

Waggle, to me, means shaking motions replacing button pressing.
[/QUOTE]
This is an important distinction. I'm guilty of falling into the waggle trap and using it re: IR aiming. The RE4 update did a good job, IMO, of inserting appropriate amounts of waggle. And the IR controls were spot on. If the remakes hold to that standard--and perhaps outperform it in other respects--they'll be worth having.

Damn, $35 seems kinda pricey just for waggle control. It would be nice if they made the games true widescreen but I'm guessing they won't bother.

I've already played all of the games listed, I honestly can't say I want to pay $35 for potentially better controls.

I'm in the camp that believes MP1 and MP2 were perfectly fine with the GC controller. I will not be buying these unless the games still support GC controller, are 16:9 480p, and difficulty is still brutal on hard mode. A wimpy version of MP2 would be a travesty.

[quote name='Vinny']Damn, $35 seems kinda pricey just for waggle control. It would be nice if they made the games true widescreen but I'm guessing they won't bother.

I've already played all of the games listed, I honestly can't say I want to pay $35 for potentially better controls.[/quote]
Where's this $35 price point coming from? I'd still be in for the Metroids, but I don't think I'd double-dip on anything else.

Also, Doomed - is that Calypso I see?

I'm interested to see where they go with this, but the fact remains that I already own every game on that list. It's going to either need to have an amazing price or major improvements for me to look into them.

I'm just glad that DKJB is getting some love. Most overlooked GC game ever.

bread's done
Back