Reggie Fils-Aime Says the Hardcore is "Insatiable"

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#31 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

Not really, but that's because of the 3rd party support.

Yep, and to me, that's more important than how many new Mario games Nintendo can release this generation. Third party support is great on the DS, but merely okay on the Wii so far. I'm fine with that for right now, but I would like it to be better.

Nintendo itself is giving me enough of what I want to play. The Wii Fit bit aside, I think Reggie has a real point here.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#32 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Sony has Team ICO and Digital Polyphony under their wing, but they're super slow.

The trend for both Sony and MS though, particularly this year, has been to dissolve 1st party development and move toward 3rd.

#33 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Do Sony and Microsoft even make good games?

I know someone's gonna jump in and yell out "Uncharted," but that's kinda the point.

Microsoft does alright, Sony's struggling to find their footing as the PS2 was a roaring success thanks to 3rd party, not 1st party support.

Posted Image

#34 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

I can't even think of one good game Microsoft has made.

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#35 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

Brute Force.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#36 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

Brute Force.

:rofl:

#37 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

The PGR's were solid, but Bizzare of course isn't under their wing anymore.

Halo 1 & 3 were fun.

Posted Image

#38 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

That's the thing - MS didn't make any of those - they just published that ish.

No matter how shit Nintendo is, at least they're actually making games and those games are actually good. They might be slow as hell and occasionally make stupid shit, but that's more than can be said about Sony of MS.

#39 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

MGS owns Lionhead, so they can get credited for Fable

#40 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

SRSLY:
Forza 1 and 2
Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden 2.

Ehhh Microsoft has no internal devolpment.
This is hard.

That's the thing - MS didn't make any of those - they just published that ish.

No matter how shit Nintendo is, at least they're actually making games and those games are actually good. They might be slow as hell and make stupid shit, but that's more than can be said about Sony of MS.

Shadow of the Colossus is better then anything Nintendo ever made.

#41 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

MGS owns Lionhead, so they can get credited for Fable

And when that's as good as it gets, you know the company is basically worthless.

#42 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

And when that's as good as it gets, you know the company is basically worthless.

What about Minesweeper?

#43 SL4IN

SL4IN

C'MON GET SERIOUAS!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

SRSLY:
Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden 2.

Losty Odyssey was done by mistwalker and NGII was done by TECMO.......
[Brawl: 0001-3099-4131][Excitebots: 2106-5601-7796]

#44 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

Losty Odyssey was done by mistwalker and NGII was done by TECMO.......

They were published by MGS, which is all they can really do.

#45 SL4IN

SL4IN

C'MON GET SERIOUAS!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

Shadow of the Colossus is better then anything Nintendo ever made.

Yeah, if only the game ran faster than like, 11 frames per second.
[Brawl: 0001-3099-4131][Excitebots: 2106-5601-7796]

#46 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

I still think-- and some will say I'm an outlandish fanboy-- that Nintendo still one of the finest developers ever. It's a little frustrating when they're not pushing for new IP. Project H.A.M.M.E.R at least looked interesting, but that got canned. Captain Hero looks amazing, but we may never see that in the states.
I guess part of why Nintendo fans like myself are upset is because Nintendo arguably delivered the best first party library during NES and SNES era. Now we're really not seeing that grand scope and variety.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#47 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, if only the game ran faster than like, 11 frames per second.

If only Nintendo could come up with an aesthetic that didn't look like a 3rd grade crayon drawing.

#48 Gumby the Green

Gumby the Green

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

yeah i mean lets be honest, i don't have as much time to game as i would like (damn you college) but there is no support for nintendo, and its sad. Yeah they released fun sequels to their 15+ year old franchises but where is the new stuff, and to me its fine that microsoft doesn't have an internal team because they know which companies to buy (lionhead thank you for all your goodness) and they get all the major titles. its nintendos fault, i mean they wanted to be different this generation so they can't really support any of the major titles because they don't translate to the controller and low resolution.

#49 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

If only Nintendo could come up with an aesthetic that didn't look like a 3rd grade crayon drawing.

If only this wasn't a fucking stupid back-and-forth.

EDIT: Great, now I'm subscribed to this thread. To the User CP I go!

Posted Image

#50 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

If only this wasn't a fucking stupid back-and-forth.

EDIT: Great, now I'm subscribed to this thread. To the User CP I go!

If only...

#51 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

Didn't take long for this thread to go downhill.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#52 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

First of all, Nintendo should be catering to the "Hardcore" because:
insatiable = unlimited profits, as long as they keep puming stuff out.

Second, use the VC to satisfy us "Hardcore" instead of whining about it. That would cost them nearly nothing in development time or money.

Third, keep us posted on what you're working on, Nintendo, and we would be happy. Problem is, I don't think you are actively working on many of the franchises we love.

Fourth, work on some new IP. Tell us about it. It may take years to complete, but we'd be happy just to hear about it.

Fifth, get more 3rd parties on board. I think they are making strides here, but the games will take time to show up at retail.

That is all.

#53 Chris in Cali

Chris in Cali

Mr. Negativity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:50 PM

The thing is on other consoles you're getting Halo 3, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Little Big Planet, Resident Evil 5, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Resistance 2, Uncharted, Motorstrom 2, Crackdown, GTA 4, Mass Effect, Saint's Row, Saint's Row 2, Burnout, Metal Gear Solid 4, Bioshock, ect. I guess one Mario game per generation and Wii Fit beats that in Nintendo's eye... LOL.

#54 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

As far as the actual games Nintendo has produced in the Wii's lifetime, it has been fantastic. Nintendo has released over 20 games in less than a two year span (obviously not including any VC/WiiWare titles). This is the most output of any previous Nintendo console. Now whether or not these games appeal to a certain sub-core groups of users is debatable, but you are delusional if you complain that the Wii has no games.

My two biggest complaints so far have been pacing, and no interest in importing titles that are complete. Why was Brawl and Mario Kart only released within one month of each other? Where is Disaster Day of Crisis, and Captain Rainbow?

Anyway, back to the article.

I thought it was more interesting that Reggie basically insulted the "hard core" Nintendo fans, yet those same people continue on and prove his very point. Quite frankly, I think that's the more interesting story than spewing of "lol nintedno sux, i'm selling my wii".

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#55 DQT

DQT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

Umm... he's right. There's not much Nintendo can do development-wise. They've released games for all their big franchises already. They can't make every single game for the console.

But it's still Nintendo's fault that there are next to no interesting third party games for games for the Wii. If Nintendo actually helped market and support development of games like Zack and Wiki maybe more developers would be able make great games for the system.

Microsoft doesn't get half the shit Nintendo does. There are so many third party games that 1st party games like Fable 2 risk actually going under the radar. PG4 did. No one's complaining about MGS's output.

#56 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Shooter fans should definitely stick to the HD Twins.

#57 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

First of all, Nintendo should be catering to the "Hardcore" because:
insatiable = unlimited profits, as long as they keep puming stuff out.

Debatable, plus more audience total = more potential profit.

Second, use the VC to satisfy us "Hardcore" instead of whining about it. That would cost them nearly nothing in development time or money.

While I agree, my agreement is lessened simply because the last 2 months or so has been nice. But at best that's 1/6th of the year.

The best answer might be that there are more legal hoops that have to be negotiated than anyone knows about, which would help explain the abysmal rate of the VC, but that's really anyone's guess outside of Nintendo's lawyers.

Third, keep us posted on what you're working on, Nintendo, and we would be happy. Problem is, I don't think you are actively working on many of the franchises we love.

The old Nintendo strategy was to reveal anything they were working on when they began, which was good in the sense that we were always reassured. The bad part was that these games inevitably got delayed over and over, which made everyone angry.

The new strategy seems to be to reveal a game and then release it 3-4 months later (Warioland, Captain Rainbow, Pokemon Platinum, etc). This is good since we get stuff more quickly and aren't kept in a stasis state of anticipation-gradually-decreasing.

It's bad because Nintendo seems to do this in the extreme, when they need to pick and choose the battle more sincerely. I.e., there's probably no real reason some of the stuff that was revealed last Thursday couldn't have been shown at E3. I'm guessing Sin and Punishment 2 and/or Punch-Out could have been shown and been the proverbial sugar to help the medicine go down.

Really this is sort of the insatiable argument. Games could be revealed left and right and STILL there'd be people angry about it.

Fourth, work on some new IP. Tell us about it. It may take years to complete, but we'd be happy just to hear about it.

Did you miss the 4-5 new IP shown last Thursday? To say nothing of things like Captain Rainbow?

Fifth, get more 3rd parties on board. I think they are making strides here, but the games will take time to show up at retail.

This is slowly, slowly changing. The appearance of RPGs and some properties like The Conduit and Monster Hunter are the beginning. It remains to be seen whether or not this changes wholly. At this point, I'm really thinking it won't. Too many developers shrugged off the system in pre-release, too many did during these first two years, and too many still won't come on board. The ones that HAVE gotten on the trolley tend to do so with a half-assed devotion at best.

The nerds in the gaming audience and in the development sector have made it really clear - they'd all rather have pretty graphics.

The thing is on other consoles you're getting Halo 3, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Little Big Planet, Resident Evil 5, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Resistance 2, Uncharted, Motorstrom 2, Crackdown, GTA 4, Mass Effect, Saint's Row, Saint's Row 2, Burnout, Metal Gear Solid 4, Bioshock, ect. I guess one Mario game per generation and Wii Fit beats that in Nintendo's eye... LOL.

I like how you snuck in LittleBigPlanet, since it makes no sense to be on that list at all. As well as a bunch of games that are dated and 2+ years old.

Not to mention Wii Fit, since that's the only argument you've got, which is funny since Nintendo never acts like it's for you anyway. That's entirely constructed by the gaming nation - "Oh Nintendo thinks Wii Fit will win me over," when in reality they've couldn't care less about your opinion on that title.

Posted Image

#58 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

WAIT I got one:

Hexic. That game is tight.

#59 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

Sorry Reggie, the "hardcore" isn't insatiable. They'er just tired of your rehashed franchises. Don't dig motion controls for the most part. Want HD graphics and robust online gaming, demos etc.

I don't game that much, and I'm more than 100% satisfied with the 360 and can't come close to play every game in it's library that I'd like to try. Where as the Wii got ditched early this year for the reasons above.

So in short, Fuck off Reggie. "Hardcore" gamers don't need Nintendo, and you don't need us. Just keep making a killing off of kids, Nintendo fanboys, soccer moms and non-gamers and the rest of us will enjoy the tremendous game libraries on the other two platforms.

But it cuts both ways.

1. Nintendo needs to not bitch about the "hardcore" as they're making a killing by going after a different market.

2. The "hardcore" need to quit bitching about Nintendo. Their consoles have been good for little other than the handful of first party franchises worth playing for the past 3 generations, and this generation will be even worse in that regard with their different market and lower specs on the console.

You either own it for the 1st franchises and casual gamers, or you sell it/don't buy it and enjoy the other two platforms.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#60 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

I can't believe Brawl just came out in March. I already think it's a pile of crap and it split the Smash community into pieces: those who want smash ball / items, those who don't, and those who want Melee. (I'm in the third group! ^^)

Mario Kart is also the same damn game with a couple of changes.

Galaxy is one of those weird games. It's fun but it seemed entirely unmotivating to pick up and actually play.

The difference is that the Wii lacks true competitive games.
Every day's great at your Junes!