- - - - -

Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

• Please log in to reply
4075 replies to this topic

#3061 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

Have they every talked about when they might turn off the servers? I know in the user agreement they state that they are only obligated for six months of server time and I'd love to get back into the game over the summer again and would hate for them to turn off the servers before I get that chance.

Like the guy above said, I wouldn't worry about it at all. The '6 month' thing is really just a clause that ensures that even if the game only sold 5 copies on launch, the online would work for a minimum time period.

However, the game launched and was fairly popular (even Sony admitted that they made a mistake by not publishing it here), so server shut-down shouldn't be an issue for a few years, at least.

#3062 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

WTH, this game is around 15 months old since the JP release. There has not been any talk about shutting down the servers, eventually they will but not for quite awhile.

Also, the NA version uses completely separate servers from the Asian version, and so the game wrt those servers is only 7-8 months old. Not sure which servers the new European version uses. At any rate, I doubt they'll be shut down any time soon. This thing has been a cash cow for Atlas.

#3063 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

If you run up to an enemy and just start swinging your weapon, the game is designed to punish you for doing that. If you let the enemy take the first swing, he's vulnerable at the end of his swing, and it's safe to attack... once. If you stun him with your attack, that's a green light special. I prefer the combat of DS over hack and slash RPGs *cough*Diablo2*cough*. D2 was pretty boring, and I have no intention of even looking at D3.

I tried a few classes out to check out the various weapons. With the wanderer and his falchion a charge attack leads to an uppercut rather than a downswing which cuts off a lot off enemy attacks this far.

I don't have a shield atm I just guard with my sword. I imagine that will change.

#3064 Puffa469

Puffa469

is too Pro Shops

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

I keep getting my ass handed to me on level 4-1 I think, the outdoor place with the flying manta rays. Those metal skeletons keep kicking my ass. I can get the ones outside, but theres an underground part where you go through an illusionary wall and two of them jump me in a confined space.

But that was on a weekday, where I don't have the time to play patiently. I'll probably get past that part this weekend.

Originally Posted by wubb Posted Image
Puffa is pretty much always dead on.

#3065 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:03 PM

I tried a few classes out to check out the various weapons. With the wanderer and his falchion a charge attack leads to an uppercut rather than a downswing which cuts off a lot off enemy attacks this far.

I don't have a shield atm I just guard with my sword. I imagine that will change.

You can get some shields pretty early on. But the absolute best thing for 90% of the game is to keep your equip burden under 50% of your max and dodge/roll out of the way when fighting. Shields are good when you're venturing into a new place and don't when when to expect an attack, or when you're blocking projectiles.

#3066 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:03 PM

I think blacksmith Boldwin was in Pirates of Dark Water. . .

#3067 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

I keep getting my ass handed to me on level 4-1 I think, the outdoor place with the flying manta rays. Those metal skeletons keep kicking my ass. I can get the ones outside, but theres an underground part where you go through an illusionary wall and two of them jump me in a confined space.

But that was on a weekday, where I don't have the time to play patiently. I'll probably get past that part this weekend.

Those tunnels can be approached from either end, so try entering from the other end and it might be easier. Also try luring them one at a time if possible (depends on what weapons/magic you have).

#3068 Puffa469

Puffa469

is too Pro Shops

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Those tunnels can be approached from either end, so try entering from the other end and it might be easier. Also try luring them one at a time if possible (depends on what weapons/magic you have).

Thanks for the tip. I'll def try that now that it's Friday and I don't have to go to bed by 11pm (I get up early for work).

I'm a female Royal so I'm weak as shit. I put most of my points into Int and Magic so far. I try to stay light and dodge and roll and use my spear and soul arrow, but in that cramped tunnel I can't roll around too much.

Originally Posted by wubb Posted Image
Puffa is pretty much always dead on.

#3069 io

io

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

I hope your arrow skills are up to snuff because 4-1 and 4-2 get much harder after that and it helps a ton to be able to take things out at range. Soul arrow is OK but you need to take out a lot and after a while I preferred arrows to magic most of the time, especially given the greater range. You'll be coming up on gold skeletons soon, which are tougher than the silver. And then there's the black ones ;). And we won't even mention the "death" dudes in 4-2 who you really have to take out at range.

#3070 RawrrSlayer

RawrrSlayer

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

You Have a Heart of Gold...Don't let them Take it from You...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3071 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:27 PM

How does multiplayer work? I have a couple friends that want to play together, but from what Iv read it's not easy to set up with specific people.

#3072 io

io

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:16 AM

How does multiplayer work? I have a couple friends that want to play together, but from what Iv read it's not easy to set up with specific people.

It isn't too hard to meet up - I've done it a few times with CAGs. You just have to arrange a meeting place and have one player set down a blue stone marker (indicating you want to be summoned). The thing is, any player online could select that and summon you. If you choose somewhere off the beaten path, though, you minimize the chances for that. The player you join can still be invaded by a black phantom too - but then it is pretty fun to surprise an invader when you have 2 players to gang up on him. That happened to Chibi and me, I think, a few times while he was letting me "borrow" various weapons. We pretty much wiped the floor with them. I guess if you have 2 people visiting, though, there's no room for an invader?

I had just started my third playthrough and the ideal place to put an out-of-the-way marker is the little alley just past the 1-2 archstone where Ostrava is behind bars.

OK, more is coming back to me... To put down a blue stone you need to be in Soul Form (as I always was while playing). The person summoning has to be in body form, though. And I think they have to have not completed the level they are trying to summon you on (not 100% sure on this though). So you need to make sure they have access to, but have not yet beaten, the level you want to join up at. If the person in Soul form leaves the current level I think they just end up going back to their world. Also, as a blue phantom you don't lose any souls if you die. If you are an invading black phantom you do though - and the players who killed you share them.

By the way, if you are around mid-game and know of a particular boss that you think you can handle pretty well (say, the Tower Knight or such) then you can place a blue stone right before the boss fight and hopefully someone will summon you in to fight that boss. You get a nice amount of souls as a reward with no risk (you won't lose the ones you have if you die). It is a great way to gain some levels mid-game when you need it most. I did this quite a bit. As you get up to level 100 and beyond, though, you will generally be too high a level to get summoned by most people (as most probably are looking for help earlier on - plus, of course, there are probably more low-level people playing).

Another point is that you can only connect with people fairly close to your level. Someone way back posted the specifics but I think you have to be within 10 levels below 100 and then 25 afterwards? It's something like that, anyway - so to meet up with your friends you have to be close in level.

#3073 Jam424

Jam424

Mad is a MW Hacker!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:35 AM

I'm at level 100 and looking for others (blue phantoms) to play with. Keep getting invaded.

#3074 Elixirboy

Elixirboy

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:46 AM

Whatever area (1-1, 1-2, etc.) you want to co-op with your friends, the boss must be alive for the host player. The host player must be in body form, and the helper must be in soul form. The helper should find a hidden area in the level (usually near the beginning) to throw down his blue eye stone. Both the host and the helper should break the same coffin, crate, or other breakable item. The helper should then drop his blue eye stone right there, so that the blue sign will not be visible to random players on the server. The host should have enough time to identify the blue sign as that of his friend, and pick it up before anyone else sees it. Keep in mind that there are two NA servers, so one of you may have to quit the game and log in again... then cross your fingers. The level restriction for co-op/pvp is 10% of the lower level character, plus ten levels. If the lower of the two characters is 50, the highest level that can join is 65. Enjoy!

If there are any CAGs close to SL 240, let's go tear stuff up! I have the enemy difficulty capped out, so let's go bring world 5 to pure black and go fight the toughest mob in the game, Selen Vinland. She's the toughest unless you use Soulsucker or Poison Cloud. Her brother is pretty tough too, with capped difficulty, because his defense is off the charts. His Bramd can easily send you on the shortcut to the nearest archstone.

#3075 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:05 AM

Her brother is pretty tough too, with capped difficulty, because his defense is off the charts. His Bramd can easily send you on the shortcut to the nearest archstone.

Yeah but it leaves him incredibly open due to the slowness. He's a joke if you just bait his attack, roll back, and heavy swing with the meat cleaver. Easiest boss in the game next to phalanx if you have a moonlight sword.

#3076 guynextshore

guynextshore

Old Fashion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:48 AM

Yeah but it leaves him incredibly open due to the slowness. He's a joke if you just bait his attack, roll back, and heavy swing with the meat cleaver. Easiest boss in the game next to phalanx if you have a moonlight sword.

Nah, Maiden Astraea is the easiest - if you use the 'sniper's perch' and a really good bow (ahem*stickly long bow +5/dex built*cough). ;).

#3077 guynextshore

guynextshore

Old Fashion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:53 AM

I hope your arrow skills are up to snuff because 4-1 and 4-2 get much harder after that and it helps a ton to be able to take things out at range. Soul arrow is OK but you need to take out a lot and after a while I preferred arrows to magic most of the time, especially given the greater range. You'll be coming up on gold skeletons soon, which are tougher than the silver. And then there's the black ones ;). And we won't even mention the "death" dudes in 4-2 who you really have to take out at range.

You can take out the 'death' mobs up close if you're fast enough. You just have to watch out for his blue someone creatures (I swear they remind of the 'night walker' from princess mononoke). The ones I watch out in 4-2 are those invisible 'backstabbing' b*tches. Once you take out death all the summons goes away. Actually, the beginning of 4-2 is one of the best places to farm souls, that and 4-3 with the rays.

#3078 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for all the multiplayer info

#3079 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

Nah, Maiden Astraea is the easiest - if you use the 'sniper's perch' and a really good bow (ahem*stickly long bow +5/dex built*cough). ;).

You don't need a dex build for that as long as you go hyper.

#3080 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll def try that now that it's Friday and I don't have to go to bed by 11pm (I get up early for work).

I'm a female Royal so I'm weak as shit. I put most of my points into Int and Magic so far. I try to stay light and dodge and roll and use my spear and soul arrow, but in that cramped tunnel I can't roll around too much.

Also, FYI, the basic fire spell is really good against the skeletons in 4-1 and 4-2 and against the reapers in 4-2.

#3081 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:09 AM

OMG Fuck this game. I can't take going through the same enemies 20 f'ing times just to die at the boss again and again. It stopped being fun at the 15th time.

#3082 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

OMG Fuck this game. I can't take going through the same enemies 20 f'ing times just to die at the boss again and again. It stopped being fun at the 15th time.

I'm guessing Flamelurker or tower Knight? There's usually a lot of soul signs for blue phantoms available right before those bosses. Use a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes and summon some help right before the boss if you can't get past on your own; it really helps.

#3083 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

Flamelurker isn't too bad if you take the right fork at the start and jump down the shaft. Man, if I had to take the twisty tunnel on the left ALL THE WAY DOWN every time I died at flamelurker I would have gone mad with rage too.

But really, if they are going to punish you so badly for deaths I wish they made more use of the mechanics like the dropping heart in 3-2, the large boss gate in 1-1, and the bypass plank in 5-2 to place boss battles/shortcuts closer to the starting point of the level once you performed a certain action in the course of playing the level.

Guardian_owl.png

#3084 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

3-1 and 4-1 have decent shortcuts as welll. At least, 4-1 has a shortcut (if you find it) and 3-1 you can get to the boss by only fighting I think 1 or 2 enemies once you have all the keys.

I always went down the twisty tunnels when fighting Flamelurker because I could never get down the pit correctly without dying, except maybe once. :-(

#3085 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

3-1 and 4-1 have decent shortcuts as welll. At least, 4-1 has a shortcut (if you find it) and 3-1 you can get to the boss by only fighting I think 1 or 2 enemies once you have all the keys.

I always went down the twisty tunnels when fighting Flamelurker because I could never get down the pit correctly without dying, except maybe once. :-(

Ya, that's where the messages left by players are really helpful in knowing where to jump to next. When I went into offline mode to do the black world tendency and white world tendency events I had a horrible time finding the way down without the messages to guide me. Cranking up the brightness would likely be quite helpful (something I only ended up doing in that HORRIBLE 5-2 level)

Guardian_owl.png

#3086 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

What class would you guys suggest? I picked wanderer but I'm not sure if I should change to Sage or something else.

#3087 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

Eventually you can make it into whatever you want by raising your stats in different ways, so the only thing that matters is your starting equipment and spells for the first few levels (and especially the first level, since you can't level up until you beat it). The general consensus is that the royal class is by far the easiest, since you start with a good spell and a ring that regenerates magic.

#3088 monkeydoodle

monkeydoodle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

What class would you guys suggest? I picked wanderer but I'm not sure if I should change to Sage or something else.

I suggest either Royalty or Hunter as a beginner class. Both comes with decent range attacks which are really useful throughout the entire game, although Royalty is a tad bit better with the Magic Arrow and Mana regeneration wand.

#3089 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

Thanks, guys. I'll try out Royalty.

#3090 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:39 AM

Ha, finally killed my first invader (had been playing in Soul Form but started playing in body to kill a BP invader to finish getting the friend ring). His shield and sphere vs. my Moonsword and shield. With the rolling around we dropped down into a long narrow corridor (near the gate the Fat Minister closes) in 1-3 so I had to rely on R2 overhead smash.

There was a moment he was waiting on the ledge below me for me to drop down so he could go for a back stab. I so wished I had God's Wrath equipped then. he would have gotten punted back to his death over the edge.

Guardian_owl.png