Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

• Please log in to reply
4075 replies to this topic

#3361 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Quick question: can I only access the nexus at the beginning of a level if wish to go back?

Very close to when you start out (maybe even in your starting inventory), you get an item that'll let you return to the nexus from any point, but you'll lose all of your souls. Later on, you might come across something that'll give you other options.

#3362 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

As soon as you spawn in the Nexus you get the Nexial Binding item. It's quite handy if you happen to get stuck somehow (IE can't move) as it will transport you back to the Nexus. The cost is you lose all your souls, so it is pretty similar to dying.

You will also come upon one-time use items called "shards of archstone" which will transport you back to the Nexus, but you keep any souls you have collected.

After the the first boss is dead a vendor who sells magic (if your magic stat is 10+) is available on the east side of the Nexus, and a vendor which sells miracles (if your faith is 10+) will appear in the western area of the Nexus. The miracle vendor sells a miracle called "evacuate" which when cast with a talisman in your hand performs the same function as the shard of archstone, except you can use it as many times as you want as long as the miracle is equipped and you have enough MP.

Whenever you slay a boss demon, an archtone post appears which performs the same function as the one at the beginning of the level. You can exit, or enter the level at that post.

If you exit a level via any method, all non-boss enemies respawn. Unlike Diablo 2, you cannot re-enter at the point you exited (IE scroll of town portal). The only way to enter a level is via the archstones.

Not sure it's been touched on yet:
If you quit from the ingame menu, it saves the game and the world condition (dead enemies, etc.) exactly how it was when you quit so that when you load it back up you are standing in the same spot, there is no manual saving, it auto-saves after pretty much every action you do. "Quit" is the closest thing Demon's Souls has to a pause button.

Guardian_owl.png

#3363 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

oh well i wont be playing this for a while. i returned my copy a while back to get a new copy and now it seems my save from the other disk wont load up.

#3364 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:47 AM

Hey guys, anyone around level 208 willing to meet up with me and let me hold their friend's ring and 3 of the unique weapons to get the trophies? I am about 1/2 way through my 3rd playthrough, and am really needing to finish soon (Castlevania comes out next week, and I want to move on).

Also, can you communicate via headset at all? I take it that you cannot...

I think the only special weapons that I'm lacking are the blueblood sword, insanity catalyst, and the bramd.

If I could have or hold them, that would be wonderful. Let me know, just send me a PM, or add me to your PSN friend's list (jh6269) and we can set up a time to meet up.

#3365 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:34 AM

No Voip options, the best you can do is go into PSN chat or add one another on an IM client for voice.

#3366 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hey guys, anyone around level 208 willing to meet up with me and let me hold their friend's ring and 3 of the unique weapons to get the trophies? I am about 1/2 way through my 3rd playthrough, and am really needing to finish soon (Castlevania comes out next week, and I want to move on).

I think the only special weapons that I'm lacking are the blueblood sword, insanity catalyst, and the bramd.

If I could have or hold them, that would be wonderful. Let me know, just send me a PM, or add me to your PSN friend's list (jh6269) and we can set up a time to meet up.

Per our earlier conversation, Soul Level Range Calc for online
At host SL of 209 it is 178 to 239 for blue phantoms, and 178 to 208 for red phantoms. I forgot to check last night what soul level my main is, if he's close enough that leveling wouldn't be a big grind I'll get him up there so that you can hold the weapons.

Guardian_owl.png

#3367 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

Per our earlier conversation, Soul Level Range Calc for online
At host SL of 209 it is 178 to 239 for blue phantoms, and 178 to 208 for red phantoms. I forgot to check last night what soul level my main is, if he's close enough that leveling wouldn't be a big grind I'll get him up there so that you can hold the weapons.

Yeah, if it's too much time, don't spend all that time grinding. It was a byproduct of farming the pure bladestone. I got like almost 120,000 souls each trip to 4-3 from pure black world tendency + ring of avarice (killing the black phantom got me 13K, black phantom dual katana skeleton gave me 58K, and the 2 black phantom gold skeletons gave me 30K a piece).

Anyway, as I said, I need the friend's Ring, the blueblood sword, the bramd, and the insanity catalyst to get the 2 trophies. Then I just need to finish the current playthrough for the magic trophy.
Posted Image Posted Image

#3368 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:58 AM

Anybody else within soul level range 179 to 241?

#3369 Teh Nitwit

Teh Nitwit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

Anybody else within soul level range 179 to 241?

I think my char is at that level and I have all the stuff. I've never entered anyone's game though, so I'll need you to give me specific instructions on how our chars would meet. I'm available today after 9:30 pm CST. PM me with details

#3370 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:23 AM

I think my char is at that level and I have all the stuff. I've never entered anyone's game though, so I'll need you to give me specific instructions on how our chars would meet. I'm available today after 9:30 pm CST. PM me with details

Cool, will do.

#3371 agentghost

agentghost

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

hi guys,
I heard that Atlus extend the server until next year. Does it mean that after "next year", Demon's Souls is not playable and my $30 investment will go down the drain?!??

If not, what online component of the game will be removed if the server is not on?

Sorry if I sound noobish. I thought this is a single player game and not some MMO

#3372 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

hi guys,
I heard that Atlus extend the server until next year. Does it mean that after "next year", Demon's Souls is not playable and my $30 investment will go down the drain?!??

If not, what online component of the game will be removed if the server is not on?

Sorry if I sound noobish. I thought this is a single player game and not some MMO

Yep, you're screwed. Once the server goes down, you lose everything. They even come to your house to take your PS3 and your little dog too.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#3373 Brownjohn

Brownjohn

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

In case your sarcasm detector is broken, you'll be able to play the game just fine. Playing online, however, just makes the game more interesting/scary/harder because you can interact with real people in a unique way.
To each his own.

#3374 DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

oh well i wont be playing this for a while. i returned my copy a while back to get a new copy and now it seems my save from the other disk wont load up.

wow, that sucks...how far along were you?

hi guys,

no worries...I just finished the game and for the most part played offline, b/c the black phantom buggers nailed be twice when I was far along in a couple levels.

You can play the whole game offline, which is what I basically did. What you lose by playing offline is a couple things...you won't see the glowing notes on the ground which are usually helpful or funny (one might warn you about an enemy or trap), you won't see the bloodstains which are also usually helpful or funny (they show you how someone in your spot died) and you won't have any interaction with other players. What happens with the other players is that they can either come to help you or come to kill you, and you can do the same. You can send out a beacon asking for help if you are having trouble with a boss or something. However, be wary because you can also have your world invaded which means that a black phantom is coming to kill you.

But you can play the game from start to finish without missing anything major, that is, the main storyline will be intact, no problem.

#3375 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

wow, that sucks...how far along were you?

no worries...I just finished the game and for the most part played offline, b/c the black phantom buggers nailed be twice when I was far along in a couple levels.

You can play the whole game offline, which is what I basically did. What you lose by playing offline is a couple things...you won't see the glowing notes on the ground which are usually helpful or funny (one might warn you about an enemy or trap), you won't see the bloodstains which are also usually helpful or funny (they show you how someone in your spot died) and you won't have any interaction with other players. What happens with the other players is that they can either come to help you or come to kill you, and you can do the same. You can send out a beacon asking for help if you are having trouble with a boss or something. However, be wary because you can also have your world invaded which means that a black phantom is coming to kill you.

But you can play the game from start to finish without missing anything major, that is, the main storyline will be intact, no problem.

as far as the story goes not too far but i had started grinding out to level up and had alot of magic and items and now im back to square one. its cool though once i finish yakuza 3 ill start over again.

#3376 dejeckt

dejeckt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:01 AM

well I got started playing it yesterday and today...
I'm lost in Stonefang Tunnel 2-2 (just took a look at the map...even more confusing). I Don't want to kill myself cause I amassed ton of souls, but on the other hand all the enemies now seem to have really high defense (those lava slug things can take a lot of hits...). I wish I could back track, but the hole I fell in seems like a one way trip. I miss the palace

#3377 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:59 AM

well I got started playing it yesterday and today...
I'm lost in Stonefang Tunnel 2-2 (just took a look at the map...even more confusing). I Don't want to kill myself cause I amassed ton of souls, but on the other hand all the enemies now seem to have really high defense (those lava slug things can take a lot of hits...). I wish I could back track, but the hole I fell in seems like a one way trip. I miss the palace

You can wander around and if you get back to the top of the tunnel system, just follow the tunnels that have torches next to them, and you'll eventually end up at the boss flamelurker.

#3378 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

Ok, I finally got the Bramd and got all of the spells. So all I'm lacking now is the Rogue's trophy and the Soldier's trophy for the platinum.

I still can't get the friend's ring. I've killed all 5 black phantom NPCs, my statue is glowing white (I must be very close to Pure White Character Tendency), but the monumental won't give me the Friend's Ring (I'm sure that I said "yes"). All he talks about is the Pantheon on the top floor. After I killed black phantom Selen Vinland, I just went back to the Nexus (I didn't try to kill the Primeval Demon). So I think I'm hosed, I didn't think killing the PD affected your CT, but maybe it does...

::Sigh:: so I guess I'm off to kill Penetrator and the Blue Dragon and I'll check w/him again and hopefully he'll give me the Friend's Ring.

One really awesome thing is that, despite what the FAQs say, the Clever Rat's Ring/Morion blade does work with arrows now. I wish I would have known this a long time ago, because I kicked those giant's butts in the Valley of Defilement in hyper mode (<30%, clever rat's ring and morion blade equipped) with my +5 Sticky Compound Long Bow. And I can kill those rolling skeletons in 4-1 - 4-2 with one shot of my arrow in hyper mode--it's freaking awesome.

I still haven't been able to hook up w/anyone online to get those weapons and Friend's ring, so if anyone is in the range of Soul Level 179 to 241, I'd really appreciate the help. All I need now are the Blueblood Sword and Insanity Catalyst and the Friend's ring to complete all of the trophies.

#3379 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

If you are in body form when talking to the Monumental, try soul form. If you are in soul form, try body form. Most of the time I get to pure white character tendency by hanging out in 4-1, 4-2, 1-3, 1-4 in body form at peak online times and then killing enough invading black phantoms to reach pure white, so I think I was probably in body form when I talked to him.

If you are close to full on white, and talking to him in the opposite form doesn't do it, you should only need to kill 1 invader to reach pure white character tendency. So I'd try sitting in body form in 1-3 (by the dog cages) late afternoon on a weekday.

Guardian_owl.png

#3380 Ace_Defective

Ace_Defective

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

I had a hard time getting pure white character tendency on my main guy too. What I did was create a new Blueblood Sword character just to get the rings, it took about 8 to 10 hours to get all of the rings. I also camped in 4-1 in body form.

#3381 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, I tried to fight a black phantom player and I got my butt kicked. I only have a couple of stones of ephemeral eyes left and I don't want to waste them all. I guess I'll have to wait until the next playthrough and maybe I can kill black phantom Miralda again and make it to pure white CT.

I think I screwed myself in the first game, because I killed all 5 black phantoms, and I actually said "no" to the monumental (I didn't know about the friend's ring at that point). Then, I did my pure black CT stuff, so I think I was way down in the CT range. In NG+ I killed all the black phantom NPCs and made it back to neutral, but killed Ostrava to get the mausoleum key, so I think I'm down by 40%. Now in NG++ I've killed all 5 black phantoms, and I think I'm just barely not there.

#3382 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:15 AM

how do you know where to go next... I beat the first boss, but after that I got totally lost, don't know where to go... someone point in the right direction so I can get back started with this game?
Posted Image

#3383 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:26 AM

After defeating the first boss, it is common for players to continue through 1-2 (the bridge), and then 2-1. Your not tied down to these paths though, so feel free to explore other worlds.

#3384 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:41 PM

how do you know where to go next... I beat the first boss, but after that I got totally lost, don't know where to go... someone point in the right direction so I can get back started with this game?

Talk to the monumental if you haven't already. He's like a little bald kid sitting upstairs in the nexus with some candles. Once you talk to him, try playing 2-1 next, or even 3-1 or 4-1.

#3385 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

so at the early part of the game when youre doing the quick tutorial have any of you ever beaten that massive enemy ?

#3386 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

I beat him, You get some souls and some grass iirc, really no point except as a personal challenge as the result is still the same
Posted Image

#3387 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

Nope, but it is possible. Though even if you do, you fail, as when you teleport to the next chamber
Spoiler

See post #3357 for starting tips Thomas.

Guardian_owl.png

#3388 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:21 AM

I'd go to either 2-1 (next arch stone to the right of the first level), or the one directly across from it, 4-1.

#3389 Ace_Defective

Ace_Defective

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:02 AM

Yeah, I tried to fight a black phantom player and I got my butt kicked. I only have a couple of stones of ephemeral eyes left and I don't want to waste them all. I guess I'll have to wait until the next playthrough and maybe I can kill black phantom Miralda again and make it to pure white CT.

I think I screwed myself in the first game, because I killed all 5 black phantoms, and I actually said "no" to the monumental (I didn't know about the friend's ring at that point). Then, I did my pure black CT stuff, so I think I was way down in the CT range. In NG+ I killed all the black phantom NPCs and made it back to neutral, but killed Ostrava to get the mausoleum key, so I think I'm down by 40%. Now in NG++ I've killed all 5 black phantoms, and I think I'm just barely not there.

If you kill Saint Urbain before you save him in the pit, the dual katana black phantom re-spawns. So you can have an unlimited supply of Ephemeral Eyes.

#3390 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:37 AM

If you kill Saint Urbain before you save him in the pit, the dual katana black phantom re-spawns. So you can have an unlimited supply of Ephemeral Eyes.

Ah, well, I'm already past that point. Now that I found out that hyper mode works with bows, I started NG+++ and I've beat world 4 and 5. Now I just need to beat the Tower of Latria and Flamelurker, and kill some black phantom NPCs (going after Selen Vinland now).