Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

• Please log in to reply
4075 replies to this topic

#2341 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

They have a life span if they aren't recommended. I don't know the exact span, but the more a message is recommended, the longer it sticks around. That's why you might still be seeing the message with 500+ recommendations, yet the 'Hi!' message with 0 recommendations is gone the next day.

This is correct. The ratings are what make it stick... if it goes unrated it goes away.

#2342 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

Are you sure? Normally whenever I left messages and then logged off, I got the "you message was recommended" notice whenever I logged back on. That would imply that it was still there while I was logged off.

I thought that's how it worked but perhaps not. It just never made sense to have messages stay after you logged since the whole perk was to get healed when it was rated. Still doesn't make sense to get healed when you log in, but w/e.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#2343 OlDirtyBastard

OlDirtyBastard

Hamburger Train Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

Yeah I never seem to get the heals when I need them and I'm almost positive I have shut down my ps3 only to find my message still there a day later.
Marvel Pinball Avengers DLC- Phantom and resell available- $1.67/ $3.33Posted Image

#2344 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

I also think messages stay after you log out, for the same reason ChibiJosh mentioned. Also, I know old messages that I left are still there when I go back, though I suppose they could just reappear when I log back in.

Regarding lifespans and recommendations, I know that I have read messages with very high ratings (like over 600+) that were later gone when I went back to the same spot. And I see lower-rated messages just as often if not more often than high-rated ones. So I think recommendation count is part of the formula but not all of it. Otherwise we'd just see messages with thousands of recommendations and anything you tried to write just wouldn't stick no matter what (since there would likely be an older message there that already had recommendations). I'm guessing it's some probability-based algorithm that takes recommendation count as just a small part of whether to show one message vs another when there are dozens of messages in the same spot (as seems likely).

#2345 Invin

Invin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:45 AM

Hey guys, any ideas on what should I use the Yellow Demon's Soul for? Insanity Catalyst, Homing Soul Arrow, or Soul Thirst

Edit- Mage currently has around 215 MP and magic is at least 40

Edited by Invin, 06 January 2010 - 03:10 AM.

#2346 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:03 AM

Depends on your character and what you want first. I personally go for Soul Thirst if you have the MP to use it. Insanity Catalyst can be replaced by T.O.B. (if you are a miracle user too) or silver catalyst . Unless you want to be full mage and don't care about your MP being cut in half then go for I.C.. Homing Soul Arrow--never really used it except a few times for fun. :D

#2347 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:23 AM

Insanity catalyst - Highest attack for spells, but it halves your max MP. Talisman of Beasts is better, in my opinion.
Homing Soul Arrow - Really powerful if you have a high enough magic stat, but it's MP cost is a little high and it's easy to dodge.
Soul Thirst - Only useful if you're going to be doing some grinding.
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#2348 OlDirtyBastard

OlDirtyBastard

Hamburger Train Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

I left a message last night and now its still there this morning with no recommendations
Marvel Pinball Avengers DLC- Phantom and resell available- $1.67/ $3.33Posted Image

#2349 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

I left a message last night and now its still there this morning with no recommendations

If you leave it, it will always show for you. But other people probably won't be able to see it.

#2350 OlDirtyBastard

OlDirtyBastard

Hamburger Train Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

sweet, like I don't already know about it, I'm the one who left it. Anyway I have a lvl 85 and a 27 if anyone wants to coop

PSN name is Hammik

#2351 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:44 PM

I was wondering if anyone would be available to help me get trophies. This will probably fall on deaf ears but I am lvl 132.

Thanks

Kamagii.png

#2352 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

I was wondering if anyone would be available to help me get trophies. This will probably fall on deaf ears but I am lvl 132.

Thanks

I can probably help some. Depends on what you need. I think I am around level 150. Not available right this instant, but later probably.

#2353 io

io

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

Thanks to Saint Noir I'm now just 1 trophy away from my platinum. I just need to slog through the majority of my third playthrough and get the last few spells. First I need to free Freke and Yuria, then finish world 3 and, unfortunately, world 5. The good news is I don't need to mess with 4 at all, though I'd prefer that to 5 ;).

#2354 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:54 PM

On my second playthru, I made sure to get all the Yuria spells so I wouldn't have to bother getting her in the 3rd playthru.
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#2355 io

io

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

On my second playthru, I made sure to get all the Yuria spells so I wouldn't have to bother getting her in the 3rd playthru.

Well, at first I assumed I'd have to do 4 playthroughs so I didn't worry about Freke vs Yuria early on. But since Saint Noir just saved me from having to fo the 4th (to get those last two weapons) it would have been useful to concentrate on one vs the other. But I didn't think it would matter so I went for the more useful spells no matter who had them. I think I need Fireball from Freke and Soul Thirst and Relief from Yuria. Had I know how useless Homing Soul Arrow would be I would have gotten Soul Thirst originally. Also, Death Cloud (Freke's spell from the Pureblood Demon) seems pretty useless so I should have picked Relief from Yuria instead of that too. But it's really not that big a deal to get to Yuria - I just have to deal with the Red Dragon, the Tower Knight, and the Penetrator, I guess (which otherwise I could have skipped). Oh well...

#2356 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:14 PM

So anyone heard any word of DLC for this? Expansion by chance? Atlus do that sort of thing, or given its a SOE game is it more likely?

Any words on the replacement guides yet?

The cutoff date is past so those that got in are in. I am hoping the guide looks different all together.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#2357 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

I don't think there is a very good chance for DLC since the game came out nearly a year ago in Japan.
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#2358 OlDirtyBastard

OlDirtyBastard

Hamburger Train Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

there's that broken archstone that is begging for some DLC

#2359 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

Would love a DLC for the Land of the Giants archstone.  :pray:

#2360 BREVITY

BREVITY

The Soul of Wit.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

Thats really too bad because the game is incredible. I would love a full on MMO in this vain. To be honest its toughness reminds me a lot of my early years in FFXI.
3DS Friend Code:4382-1988-8437 QR Image http://yfrog.com/gzvezjyj
iOS GameCenter Name: BREVITY
Posted ImagePosted Image
Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

#2361 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

So anyone heard any word of DLC for this? Expansion by chance? Atlus do that sort of thing, or given its a SOE game is it more likely?

From my experience with From Software's Armored Core series. We never received any DLC, but we usually received updates to the game (bug fixes, glitches patched, etc since Armored Core 4). I do not expect there to be DLC, but if there was I would be surprised. 

#2362 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:40 AM

I can probably help some. Depends on what you need. I think I am around level 150. Not available right this instant, but later probably.

awsome :) if you have any I would like to hold xxxxstone weapons and probably the friend ring as I own the rest. I can help you with any other game you are working on as far as trophies. I just really do not want to have to grind out all of the stones. I will be online this weekend add me PSN: Cataplexy

Thanks alot in advance :bouncy:

Kamagii.png

#2363 porieux

porieux

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:07 AM

there's that broken archstone that is begging for some DLC

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the sixth archstone...there has to be some reason that is there.

#2364 sayHey

sayHey

fear the 12

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:34 AM

Love the game.. was just wondering though, how do you cheer and do other actions? i remember being able to do it before, but now i forget
Check out the games I've finished!|07||08||09||10||11||12|

#2365 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:37 AM

Hold X and a list of emotes will come up. I just wish this game had voice chat. With how tactical some of the fights can be with multiple people, it just begs to have in-game voice chat.
Posted Image

#2366 clockwork-zombie

clockwork-zombie

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\&#

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

I am almost to getting my platinum I just need the last two miracles.
Funnily enough when I started to farm bladestone my first drop was a pure :D it just took me another 4 or so hours to get the last 5 chunks that I needed.

I am curious about how many hours all of you have played. For me it is about 200 hours.
that is just on my main which is an all around character with about equal stats in everything.

#2367 io

io

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:24 AM

I am almost to getting my platinum I just need the last two miracles.
Funnily enough when I started to farm bladestone my first drop was a pure :D it just took me another 4 or so hours to get the last 5 chunks that I needed.

I am curious about how many hours all of you have played. For me it is about 200 hours.
that is just on my main which is an all around character with about equal stats in everything.

I'm at 125 hours. I'll probably be all done at around 130. CAGs (ChibiJosh and Saint Noir to be specific) helped me out on several things though: most notably getting the Foe's ring, the bladestone weapon, and the 2 weapons (Insanity Catalyst and Blueblood Sword) that would require a fourth playthrough (assuming you get miracles and spells first from those demons). I figure the help probably saved me 20-30 hours, a big chunk of which would be tedious farming for bladestones.

#2368 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:54 AM

I found Marrowstones to be the most tedious. I've finally gotten max of all weapons. Actually, I just need a Friend Ring to have done everything except max my SL.

Farming for a Pure Bladestone just meant me going to 4-2, sniping the reaper, then going to the secret passage and killing the Dual Katana Skeleton. Using Thirst + Avarice on the Reaper, and Avarice on the DKS, I netted around 45k souls per 90-120 seconds. Compare that to my Marrowstone farming, which was maybe 8k souls every 2 minutes.

I will say this: I should have definitely done Pure White Character Tendency and gotten the Friend Ring BEFORE going to Pure Black (char tendency). It is quite a pain in the butt, considering there are only 5 NPCs in the whole game eligible to boost your Char Tendency toward White. I could Blue Phantom it up a bit I suppose, but I've read that the gain on it is fairly low unless it involves killing an invading phantom.
Posted Image

#2369 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:57 AM

Took me around 90-100 hours for the plat. I pretty much got all the weapon trophies and ring trophy on my first playthrough. Then rest was playing through 3 times. After that, I just played through for fun with one main, then making another character. I'm on my third one now, so I've reached the 152 hour mark I believe. As for bladestones, I use to obey the whole "8" is the best luck conspiracy, but thats how I got the pures within 6 runs and I didnt use the LSoS. :)

#2370 Maskim

Maskim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

I found Marrowstones to be the most tedious. I've finally gotten max of all weapons. Actually, I just need a Friend Ring to have done everything except max my SL.

Farming for a Pure Bladestone just meant me going to 4-2, sniping the reaper, then going to the secret passage and killing the Dual Katana Skeleton. Using Thirst + Avarice on the Reaper, and Avarice on the DKS, I netted around 45k souls per 90-120 seconds. Compare that to my Marrowstone farming, which was maybe 8k souls every 2 minutes.

I will say this: I should have definitely done Pure White Character Tendency and gotten the Friend Ring BEFORE going to Pure Black (char tendency). It is quite a pain in the butt, considering there are only 5 NPCs in the whole game eligible to boost your Char Tendency toward White. I could Blue Phantom it up a bit I suppose, but I've read that the gain on it is fairly low unless it involves killing an invading phantom.

I can hook you up with a friend ring. The reason we couldn't meet up before is we were in a level we had beaten. So msg me with an area you haven't beat yet, and I'll meet you there tonight if you want, and drop a blue stone so you can snag a friend ring.
Posted Image