New Castlevania Announced for PS3 and Xbox 360

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/917/917983p1.html

lymdra03ys4.jpg

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41243.html

Konami held a press event for the Castlevania series today in its booth at the Tokyo Game show. The big news to come from the event, as reported by ITmedia, was first word on a new entry in the series for a brand new set of platforms: the PS3 and Xbox 360.

According to the site, series producer IGA unveiled first foootage for the new title in the form of a 10 second teaser clip depicting a man wielding a red lit sword. Following the clip, IGA hinted that he hadn't been expecting to actually announce the new game, suggesting that a release is still a ways off.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pete5883']They're not smart enough to do this in 2D, are they?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. :cry:

I'd love a 2D Castlevania on the 360 in HD. :drool: The DS games are great, but it would be even better on a TV with modern, HD 2D (or 2.5D) graphics.

[quote name='metaly']I hope it's that Castlevania kart racer I've always wanted.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't there a Belmont in that Konami kart racer?

[quote name='dmaul1114']I doubt it. :cry:

I'd love a 2D Castlevania on the 360 in HD. :drool: The DS games are great, but it would be even better on a TV with modern, HD 2D (or 2.5D) graphics.[/quote]
how is that suppose to improve the gameplay?!

is tetris in high definition going to change the gameplay?!

it'll probably going be a ps2 castlevania except with more pretty graphics [720p/1080p].

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']how is that suppose to improve the gameplay?!

it'll probably going be a ps2 castlevania except with more pretty graphics [720p/1080p].[/QUOTE]

Did anyone say it would improve the gameplay?

It would, however, be prettier and sound better, and nobody can argue those are bad things.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Wasn't there a Belmont in that Konami kart racer?[/quote]

It was actually Dracula.

I actually enjoyed the 3D Castlevania's, they just took quite awhile to get into (especially Curse of Darkness), as for the 64 ones... they never existed. I don't even know why I said 64, because there were no Castlevania games for that system.

I'm exited about this, though, if they take what they did with LoI and CoD, and maybe re-vamp it into more of a DMC style, this could in-fact be an excellent game.

[quote name='daroga']It can't be worse than that Saturn-quality fighting game their putting out on the Wii, right?

Right??[/QUOTE]

Iga certainly wants to make that race interesting. Photo finish. Down to the wire. By a nose. All that sort of thing. Which game is a more colossal waste of time, folks? Step right up step right up place ya bets.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']I actually enjoyed the 3D Castlevania's, they just took quite awhile to get into (especially Curse of Darkness), as for the 64 ones... they never existed. I don't even know why I said 64, because there were no Castlevania games for that system.

I'm exited about this, though, if they take what they did with LoI and CoD, and maybe re-vamp it into more of a DMC style, this could in-fact be an excellent game.[/quote]

how is the n64 version bad?! please explain.
3d fighting castlevania game is pretty interesting. game sites and game magazines sites that it's like power stone except with castlevania characters. as we all know what and how power stones play like, it should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pochaccoheaven']how is that suppose to improve the gameplay?!

it'll probably going be a ps2 castlevania except with more pretty graphics [720p/1080p].[/QUOTE]

Did I say it would improve the gameplay?

I want games that play great AND look great. Best of both worlds.

I have no time to waste on games that fail in either respect. I can never play anywhere near all the good games in the genres I like so I prioritize. I'm not one of those "graphics don't matter" nerds. They matter. They're useless without good gameplay, but I'll take a good game that also looks great over something like Mega Man 9 any day of the fucking week.

Man a 2D Castlevania on 360 would be badass. Either as DLC or a disc release (they're long enough anyway).

Think of the bloom!

But seriously, it would be awesome.

After the Wii game being a fighting game, if this isn't a 2D or 2.5D Metroidvania style game I think I'm going to have to bust some Konami executive heads.

Who really cares whether it will be good or not!?

It will be entertaining,

and if it means more Ayami Kojima art by all means crank that shit out!

I can't wait for IGA's obligatory "Don't worry guys, this is a good 3D Castlevania!" interview that he's done for every game so far.

Every single 3D Castlevania has been really shitty compared to the 2D games (and standalone, they've been ok at best)... I really hope they don't try for another one. If they really want to use polygons, make it 3D graphics with 2D gameplay- seems simple enough.

[quote name='Strell']Iga certainly wants to make that race interesting. Photo finish. Down to the wire. By a nose. All that sort of thing. Which game is a more colossal waste of time, folks? Step right up step right up place ya bets.[/quote]*sigh*

[quote name='daroga']It can't be worse than that Saturn-quality fighting game their putting out on the Wii, right?

Right??[/QUOTE]

Problem is, the Saturn had good fighting games. Judgment looks like... a Wii quality fighting game.

Anyway, I hope it's 2D as well, because 2D is better... though Lament of Innocence was really damn good. Dunno what the hell Iga was doing with Curse of Darkness, but the first PS2 game was fantastic outside of the somewhat repetitive corridors.

People thought LoI was good? I thought that game was mediocre at best. Castlevannia needs to stay 2D. Just make it a DL game with HD graphics, and im fucking sold.

[quote name='Chacrana']
I hope it's 2D [/QUOTE]

Oh please. This is for 360 and PS3 owners, the likes of which would decry it as nothing more than a downloadable title because that's the extent of their understanding of 2D.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS'] Just make it a DL game with HD graphics[/QUOTE]

See?

IGA really should just stick to the 2D style he's perfected over the years if only because there are so many action games now. It's a really crowded genre.

[quote name='Strell']Oh please. This is for 360 and PS3 owners, the likes of which would decry it as nothing more than a downloadable title because that's the extent of their understanding of 2D.

See?[/quote]

this guy see's the point. the hardcore don't want to pay a $60 disc for a 2d game, they would rather have it for download. though that $60 buy would be better for konami as they earn the money as compared to the gamers.

This is one of the few franchises I like that I can't imagine transitioning well to 3D gameplay. As a game, I enjoyed Legacy of Darkness (N64), though I only played through the werewolf storyline, but aside from the good music, it didn't feel like Castlevania.

I'm not a big fan of the original Castlevania games, either. I like the SotN style games where you can roam freely and search for hidden weapons, abilities, etc.

With that said, I believe sidescrolling is the way to go, but I think, with all the power the PS3 and 360 have, they could create some impressive, smooth 3D graphics and animation to take the game to another level.

I love 2D games, but if they are going to market this as a $60 game, they need to treat it like one during development, with good voice acting, graphics, music (a key to a good CV game, IMO), and of course, content and gameplay. I shouldn't have to count collecting rare "souls" (through grinding) as most of the gameplay time.

On a side note, whatever happened to the artist from Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance? That artwork felt so appropriate for those games, and then they go ahead and hire generic anime designers for DoS and PoR.

It should be that fancy 2.5D. I'd love to see a castle builder mode where players can design their own Castlevanias and upload online, but I'm just dreaming.

Bring on the generic 3D action adventure title!

[quote name='Strell']Oh please. This is for 360 and PS3 owners, the likes of which would decry it as nothing more than a downloadable title because that's the extent of their understanding of 2D.

See?[/QUOTE]

That's kind of a lame, condescending attitude. I'd like to see it as a DL game as well, as a 6-8 hour 2D Castlevania (assuming it's the same length as the other Metroidvania games) is hard to justify dropping $60 on for a disc version. Has nothing to do with being 2D, just short games with no multiplayer are tough to swallow at that price, but easier to take at $15 or so for a download.

The only thing 2D has to do with it is that it's easier to make the game file small enough to be downloadable.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's kind of a lame, condescending attitude.
[/quote]

And yet I've seen it paraded around nonstop in the last few months.

The only thing 2D has to do with it is that it's easier to make the game file small enough to be downloadable.

And here we have it again.

I don't know where it came up, but 2D doesn't automatically make it small enough to be downloadable, especially when you say it needs to be HD a few seconds later.

This is DMK's factoid but I'll bring it up - Odin Sphere took up 3 gigs of space. The upcoming Muramasa on the Wii will take up more. Given the size constrictions of downloadable services right now, it's not possible currently. Next generation? Maybe, and even then it depends on just how the graphics are being done, how much space we have on our systems, etc.

And before someone says it, SF2HD doesn't count, since that game would have a tenth....hell, a hundredth the amount of pure resources a game like Castlevania would demand.

My whole point is the factual basis of this sort of thing happening and the general attitude of the PS360 owner, and right now none of those things are syncing up.

[quote name='Strell']A
I don't know where it came up, but 2D doesn't automatically make it small enough to be downloadable, especially when you say it needs to be HD a few seconds later.

This is DMK's factoid but I'll bring it up - Odin Sphere took up 3 gigs of space. The upcoming Muramasa on the Wii will take up more. Given the size constrictions of downloadable services right now, it's not possible currently. Next generation? Maybe, and even then it depends on just how the graphics are being done, how much space we have on our systems, etc.

And before someone says it, SF2HD doesn't count, since that game would have a tenth....hell, a hundredth the amount of pure resources a game like Castlevania would demand.

My whole point is the factual basis of this sort of thing happening and the general attitude of the PS360 owner, and right now none of those things are syncing up.[/QUOTE]

That's all true. Games like Braid and Bionic Command re-armed etc. look pretty good, were HD etc., but were shorter games than Castlevania. But it still could work as a download, the graphics don't have to be top notch to satisfy me. Just 720p and in 16x9 as I won't play anything that's not on consoles anymore.

If they it does have to be too big for a download, so be it.. I'll pick it up off of goozex and trade it back when done, as Castlevania games are just too short to spend $60 on. That's my main point. I don't want a download because it's 2D, but because developers can fuck off if they think I'm paying $60 for any 6-8 hour single player game with no replay value. Those type of games get Goozexed, or bought years later for $10-20.

If it's 3D, then I'll likely pass as I haven't cared for the 3D castlevanias which end up feeling more like DMC style action games than the adventure games that I love the Metroidvania series for. But maybe they can pull it off and do for Castlevania in 3D what the prime series did for Metroid. If they can do that, I'd take that over a 2D game. But I'm not holdiing my breath.

I can't even think of the last Castlevania game that only takes 6-8 hours to play through, and that inlcudes all the GBA/DS ones, unless you just power through it and avoid any attempt to search around.

Portrait of Ruin might have been that way. So we're 1 for....what, 6? SoTN, 3 GBA, 2 DS so far...

Granted Iga is doing such a good job ruining the series that the next one might just take 3 hours to complete, so I guess I can't wholly say "moving target opinion" without acknowledging some merit of truth in there.

Portrait of Ruin took me about 8 hours to get all the endings. SOTN was a bit longer, as was CoTM probably since it was so hard and required some level grinding for me to beat. But the other GBA/DS ones took me in the 8 hour tops range to beat/get all endings. I don't bother with 100% map exploration/item collection etc. as I don't care about that kind of stuff (just like I don't care about getting achievements).

[quote name='Chacrana']Problem is, the Saturn had good fighting games. Judgment looks like... a Wii quality fighting game.

Anyway, I hope it's 2D as well, because 2D is better... though Lament of Innocence was really damn good. Dunno what the hell Iga was doing with Curse of Darkness, but the first PS2 game was fantastic outside of the somewhat repetitive corridors.[/quote]Yeah, I should've clarified. Saturn-graphical-fidelity game.

Aria of Sorrow takes about 6 or 7 hours.

Koji Igarashi must believe SoTN was the equivalency of 2D perfection on home consoles.

I agree. But that doesn't mean I don't want another one.

Actually, Castlevania: Judgment isn't that bad of a game. It's way better than Soul Calibur Legends in every department. It's easy to play and the graphics are decent. Nothing at all like the exagerated Saturn comment. Now it's no Soul Calibur IV either, nothing close. But you should give it a chance before you condemn it. And, Yes, I have played it.

And I guess I'm in the minority, but Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness were awesome games. I 100% completed both of them except for getting one of every familiar in CoD. I'm buying just about anything Castlevania.

[quote name='ID2006']This is one of the few franchises I like that I can't imagine transitioning well to 3D gameplay. As a game, I enjoyed Legacy of Darkness (N64), though I only played through the werewolf storyline, but aside from the good music, it didn't feel like Castlevania.

I'm not a big fan of the original Castlevania games, either. I like the SotN style games where you can roam freely and search for hidden weapons, abilities, etc.

With that said, I believe sidescrolling is the way to go, but I think, with all the power the PS3 and 360 have, they could create some impressive, smooth 3D graphics and animation to take the game to another level.

I love 2D games, but if they are going to market this as a $60 game, they need to treat it like one during development, with good voice acting, graphics, music (a key to a good CV game, IMO), and of course, content and gameplay. I shouldn't have to count collecting rare "souls" (through grinding) as most of the gameplay time.

On a side note, whatever happened to the artist from Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance? That artwork felt so appropriate for those games, and then they go ahead and hire generic anime designers for DoS and PoR.[/quote]

She was working on the art for Curse of Darkness during the first DS games development, so she didn't have enough time to do both. Also, IGA wanted to target younger audiences more since the DS seems catered to them, so he hired shitty anime artists!

On a side note, I fucking love Ayami Kojima. She shits gold as far as I am concerned.

A 2D Castlevania with beautiful, crisp 2D art in 16:9 would be fantastic.

Not gonna happen.

Time for some Devil May Castlevania bitchez!
Course I'll buy it anyway, since I buy anything Castlevania because I'm stupid.

I enjoyed Curse of Darkness but obviously it was not as good as the 2d counterparts.
I paid $50 for something that wasn't as good as $30 DS versions. I won't make that mistake again.

bread's done
Back