The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XIX

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4995 replies to this topic

#4981 thebob101

thebob101

Spaceknight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

Recently I had a business conference in Key Biscayne, FL. This was my experience during the trip downward with 4 PS3 AC's, 4 PS3 BIA, 4 360 AC's, and 4 360 BIAs.

North Miami Blockbuster 1.
Hi, I'd like to trade in these games.
What?
I'd like to trade in these games.
Wrong store, Gamestop is down the street.

North Miami Blockbuster 2
Hi, I'd like to trade in these games.
What?
I'd like to trade in these games.
Blockbuster doesn't accept game trades in Miami-Dade.

Then I get to Key Biscayne and see a Blockbuster across from the hotel so I sneak out there around 10 at night. I call first and verify that they take trades.

I hand the guy 1 of each title from each system, plus some other games I had lying around (Sea Monsters, and Cranium Kabooki, plus a couple others.) The guy handles it all smoothly with no problems. Then I say I want it on a value card.

According to this guy, no Blockbuster in FL uses Value cards anymore, and he thinks its nationwide. I point out to him that I clearly have a value card, my account is clearly based in FL, and I can show him receipts where I have put money on it. He insists that in all of Florida, if not nationwide, stores no longer use value cards and credit is for that specific store only. He says I can buy anything I want in the store, but its like $180.

I shop around and come back with a gift card. I say I'd like to purchase this, you said I can purchase anything. He states he needs to call his manager. His manager clearly states that he can sell the gift card, but the cashier points out that it is for $180. He then tells me I need to come back the next day and clear it with the manager. When I point out he just spoke with the manager, the guy states that was HIS manager, but that they are from another store and it is up to that specific store manager to approve.

At that point, I ask for my games back, and he says that the transaction is already final. I point out that I never signed anything except the trade agreement and that the trade agreement clearly states I can get the money on a value card. He states the trade is final even though I never sign anything.

Then I notice the WII on the shelf and say fine, I'll just get that.

So now I have to sell a WII and cash out, when having a value card was much simpler.

I really don't understand some of these employees that think it is their job to "protect" the store from evildoers or "devil customers." It is frustrating.

Posted Image

I am currently playing the following games-
Xbox 360- Gears of War Judgment

I am currently watching the following shows -
Banshee & Spartacus
I am currently reading -
The Wheel of Time/A Memory of Light- Robert Jordan

#4982 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

I just watched an ebay auction for wii ending 5 minutes ago.. and he only gets $ 270 with free shipping. after ebay's fee and shipping, he/she probably only gets $200.

On another note, my friend just sold his wii for $ 295 on cl.

The Wii is too much of an investment with very little profit. Nobody wants to spend 250+ to maybe gain $20 (if you get lucky). It's just not worth it.

#4983 DarkRider23

DarkRider23

hates hoarders

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

Anyone else having some trader's remorse with Oblivion? I found a copy of it today and it's in such good condition that I don't want to trade it in. Everything is perfect... The manual, map and disc are perfect. The stickers peeled off without any problems at all. I think I might just have to keep it for myself.

#4984 Animal7390

Animal7390

Something Clever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:41 PM

no traders remorse, worst case scenario you go back in a couple weeks and it will have probably dropped in price and you can pick it up for cheap.
my trade list doesnt have anything in it right now, but it will someday. soon. hopefully. maybe.

Games List (60% complete)

DVD List (75% complete)

A game store here was running a tournament and a guy I know went to the restroom and got some fabreeze and totally fabreezed some fat smelly guy, It was awsome!!

#4985 mkernan

mkernan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

Anyone else having some trader's remorse with Oblivion? I found a copy of it today and it's in such good condition that I don't want to trade it in. Everything is perfect... The manual, map and disc are perfect. The stickers peeled off without any problems at all. I think I might just have to keep it for myself.

Somewhat... during my run yesterday, the clerk even said "we have a real nice copy, even has the map and everything." So yeah, I felt a little bad trading it in. I've never played it.... had the regular ed. on PS3 for a while and just never got around to it. Fallout 3 is the next game I'll probably sit down and play through, and with all the other stuff, I just knew there was no way I'd find time to play Oblivion any time soon. I'm sure I can find a decent copy down the road or maybe even a brand new one for real cheap later when I have more time.

Thought I was done flipping for a bit but I made a really weak flip today of a couple Target clearance games (bought using VV card). I was at Target anyway and they were calling my name. For the second time, I used a VV card on top of my BBV credit to purchase another VV card. Went about like this: traded in a game, "leave it on my account, I'd like to buy this too", holds up the $100 VV card. So, the TIV was subtracted, then I ran my BBV value card for like $75, then used my VV card to cover the remaining $5 balance. Good times.
Posted Image

#4986 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:50 PM

I just watched an ebay auction for wii ending 5 minutes ago.. and he only gets $ 270 with free shipping. after ebay's fee and shipping, he/she probably only gets $200.

On another note, my friend just sold his wii for $ 295 on cl.

Well, whoever did that listing is probably an idiot and knows nothing about sales. First off, they lined up their auction to close in the early afternoon on a weekday. Most of the country is at work right now and is unable to bid on the auction.

Second, what is the person's feedback? I've got 100% positive with 172 feedback. And third, they probably didn't do a very good job talking up/building excitement for the Wii. For reference, this is my auction that just closed last night around 10 PM EST.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=120345032190

I know Wii's have been in stock at a lot of places lately, but I just heard a woman last night at Gamestop inquire about one and get turned away. The bottom line is if you can't make money selling one at Christmas time, there's just no helping you, haha :)

#4987 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:58 PM

Well, I bought Hail to the Chimp at a Circuit City that was closing. There's two other copies, so I'm going to wait until the % increases, given the fact that they're unmarked clearance. I have buyer's remorse for 7.00 after tax, so I think I'll take it to Blockbuster.

BTW, I called about HttC and confirmed the 15 TIV. So that's held for this week.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#4988 mkernan

mkernan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

Wow. You should work in sales (provided you don't already).
Posted Image

#4989 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:15 PM

Well, whoever did that listing is probably an idiot and knows nothing about sales. First off, they lined up their auction to close in the early afternoon on a weekday. Most of the country is at work right now and is unable to bid on the auction.

Second, what is the person's feedback? I've got 100% positive with 172 feedback. And third, they probably didn't do a very good job talking up/building excitement for the Wii. For reference, this is my auction that just closed last night around 10 PM EST.

I know Wii's have been in stock at a lot of places lately, but I just heard a woman last night at Gamestop inquire about one and get turned away. The bottom line is if you can't make money selling one at Christmas time, there's just no helping you, haha :)

Very nice. I won a Wii in the BBV giveaway thing, so I might have to ask to plagiarize a bit from you :D

Only dilemma I have is that one of my best friend's girlfriends wants to buy it from me to give to my friend for Christmas since he just got out of college and is a few hundred miles away working, by himself. I'm probably going to sell it to her, but it would make me seem like a(n) <insert word> so was thinking of just asking $200 for it. Plus maybe it'll give me a new person to play Brawl/MK online with.

#4990 Animal7390

Animal7390

Something Clever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:20 PM

i won a wii back when they first came out from newegg. it was awesome.
my trade list doesnt have anything in it right now, but it will someday. soon. hopefully. maybe.

Games List (60% complete)

DVD List (75% complete)

A game store here was running a tournament and a guy I know went to the restroom and got some fabreeze and totally fabreezed some fat smelly guy, It was awsome!!

#4991 gi60

gi60

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

Nice Ebay with movies clip.. :)

How much do you get after fees and shipping?

Bought a VV card today with value card with no problem at all.

#4992 io

io

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

Definitely keep one then (especially if it's mint). You'll feel better about yourself ;).

I'm going to get a few more today myself, hopefully. If one of them ends up being in excellent condition I'll keep it even though I already installed the extra content. Then I can sell my sealed one. I'd pick up just the regular game but they really aren't that much cheaper anyway (only $2 difference at GS, and the regular one is $24.99 at Blockbuster).

As for the Wiis, I'm shocked that anyone will pay more than retail + shipping on eBay or anywhere else. The shortage is definitely over if they are readily available this close to Christmas at most stores. Yeah, sure, they aren't in stock everywhere at all times, but all it takes is a couple of calls/looking around a bit and they can be found.

#4993 Quintox

Quintox

Chicken Chaser

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:51 PM

As for the Wiis, I'm shocked that anyone will pay more than retail + shipping on eBay or anywhere else. The shortage is definitely over if they are readily available this close to Christmas at most stores. Yeah, sure, they aren't in stock everywhere at all times, but all it takes is a couple of calls/looking around a bit and they can be found.

I snagged one on Amazon since I had ~$220 in credit that I wanted to cash out on. So I'm just going to put it up on CL for $260. I don't like ripping people off, especially in person. I'm trying to think of a way to sell it to someone who actually has little kids that really want it but I don't know how to go about doing that.

#4994 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

Definitely keep one then (especially if it's mint). You'll feel better about yourself ;).

I'm going to get a few more today myself, hopefully. If one of them ends up being in excellent condition I'll keep it even though I already installed the extra content. Then I can sell my sealed one. I'd pick up just the regular game but they really aren't that much cheaper anyway (only $2 difference at GS, and the regular one is $24.99 at Blockbuster).

Well, they are selling at record highs. It sold over 800,000 over the Thanksgiving week (23rd-29th) and they produce roughly 2.4 million Wiis a month, so they sold about a third of their monthly stock in one week (given it was Black Friday, but still very impressive.) Right now I'd agree with you, but next week...oh man it could get ugly.
Posted Image

#4995 io

io

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Well, of course, cashing out at retail will probably work out pretty well. I just mean I wouldn't expect massive profit off of them. But of course, for cashing out BBV credit that's fine as even-money is a good deal.

#4996 io

io

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

New thread, where Friend of Sonic will be maintaining a comprehensive trade-in list in the third post:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=207038