Shmup News & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
613 replies to this topic

#391 LostRoad

LostRoad

I just want to wake up.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

Would be nice if some of these came out on the droid. All we have is Space War, Radiant and Sky force. All three are very basic and not that good.
No matter how good looking she is, some one some where is sick of her shit.

Posted Image

#392 Rooster752

Rooster752

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Have any of you guys played shoot 1up yet? Its a cool xbox indie game where every time you get a powerup you get another ship to control. You can wind up controlling a whole fleet of ships at once. I wrote a review of it
For Xbox Indie Game and XBLA reviews go to www.armlessoctopus.com

#393 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

I picked it up but haven't played it yet.

I heard many great things about it so I'm glad to support it

#394 Rooster752

Rooster752

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Its definitely a lot of fun. I like how its not too bullet-helly, for lack of a better term.

#395 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:36 PM

I don't think I understand awakening mode/gold pieces in ESPGaluda 2. you tap awakening, can't move, bullets slow down while a multiplier goes up...the bullets turn into gold pieces depending on the multiplier IF you turn off awakening mode before getting hit? And you have the option to touch enemies/bullets, but then they don't turn into gold? And do your gold pieces deplete only when you're under 100 green gems?

crazy ass scoring system. thanks for any help.

almost got sick to my stomach playing this on a rocky bus ride today! I'm one of those people who can't read in a car without getting sick...was hoping it wouldn't work the same with games :(

#396 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:29 AM

u talkin about in iphone mode rite??

I play mostly arcade mode so I dont understand the new scoring exactly, but the point seems to be to stay in awake mode as long as possible so that your multiplier goes up higher while at the same time trying to have as many bullets on screen as possible so each one cancels and adds to your score.

since you're immobile, the touch mechanic is a defensive feature allowing you to escape harm from incoming bullets, also allowing you to collect more green gems thus extending your allowed awakening time. The other alternative to keep you alive would be to exit awakening and thus bullet cancel. However dont forget that bullets will move off screen eventually thus reducing your maximum score so on a case by case scenario you would need to decide which option is best.

Ill play more iphone mode sometime to see what else it's about.

#397 weevles

weevles

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Soldner X 2 coming to PSN next month:

http://blog.us.plays...-to-psn-in-may/

Never did get the first, but I will probably get this one.

#398 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

Espgaluda II on the iPhone is absolutley amazing. I never would have thought a game like this would have translated so well. Mind you, I haven't played the original, I just mean a game like this in general. Control is superb, better then any other shooter on the iPhone. I'm addicted. I prefer the arcade mode to the new iPhone mode, but I probably given the iPhone mode a fair try yet - I started on arcade and want to stick with that until I master it. Anyway, absolutely get this game if you have an iPhone 3GS (sadly, iPod touch users have to wait until an update).
Posted Image

#399 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

Have any of you guys played shoot 1up yet? Its a cool xbox indie game where every time you get a powerup you get another ship to control. You can wind up controlling a whole fleet of ships at once. I wrote a review of it

That sort of sounds like that Wii game, the name of which is escaping me at the moment, where when you shoot enemy ships you can grab them and they attach to your ship Katamari style, and increase your firepower, but also your size making it easier to get hit. It's clever and amusing, but in the end I didn't really care for it that much. It seemed to prove just to be a gimmick trying to make up for a mediocre shooter.
Posted Image

#400 Mr. 420

Mr. 420

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

Well i picked up Iron Clad and it is OK but I still prefer Air Zonk, Gates of Thunder, and star parodier on my VC. I was playing some Blazing Star Yesterday with a cool ship i never used to use. It is the one that powers up a small little flame out of the front of it for big bonuses and with another button press it gets a mini force field. I started using that ship because I took my mvs cart to a local arcade to trade for some games and the guy working there beat my high score by quite a bit with that aircraft.
What sucks about air zonk is they only give you 1 life in hard mode and the last level reminds me of megaman 3.
:booty::-#:fridge:
:imwithst::puke::bow:

#401 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

I wish some of the newer Neo Geo shooters would show up on the VC. I'd kill to have Pulstar, Blazing Star, and Shock Troopers.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#402 Mr. 420

Mr. 420

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:19 AM

I wish some of the newer Neo Geo shooters would show up on the VC. I'd kill to have Pulstar, Blazing Star, and Shock Troopers.

I have the shock troopesr mvs cart that is a different version frome the one in the snk compilation and i also have a blazing star mvs cart. I've never played pulstar but always wanted to try it cause i heard it was really hard. That reminds me i should try out some shock troopers on level 8 difficulty.
:booty::-#:fridge:
:imwithst::puke::bow:

#403 weevles

weevles

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

I totally forgot that Ketsui 360 comes out this week until PA sent me an invoice saying it shipped. >_<

#404 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:44 AM

Ketsui isn't region free, eh? :(

Got ESPGaluda 360 today. This game is hard as Fuck.

I'm not as impressed with the presentation as I am with Mushihimesama Futari. The interface is definitely a bit cheaper and it feels like there's more loading. The graphics and enemy designs are blander, but you're up against military shit instead of nature, so that's to be expected. One edge it has over mushihime (though maybe I just looked this option in mushihime) is remixed music.

On the plus side, and more importantly, the gameplay modes have more variety and I don't have to pay 1200 points for the black label mode. There also seems to be a lot more depth to it. wish I could play more today!

#405 Rooster752

Rooster752

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

What are the better shmups for 360? I'm not huge into the bullet hell games. Should I start with Raiden triad?

#406 Rooster752

Rooster752

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

I interviewed Nathan Fouts, who created the $1 Xbox 360 shmup, Shoot 1UP.
We discussed his favorite shmups and his influences.

Here is that segment

http://www.armlessoc...terview-part-3/

full interview
http://www.armlessoc...-indie-games-2/

#407 weevles

weevles

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:33 AM

http://www.gametrail...ayer/65071.html

#408 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:06 AM

Too bad Raystorm HD is $15 fucking dollars. I can get it for half that price on the Japanese PSN and play it on PSP.

EDIT - Granted I'd be playing the PSOne version without the fancy HD but still, the game would be just as good.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#409 maxim2boobles

maxim2boobles

AwesomeNOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:34 PM

there are still great shmups being made for dreamcast. Dux is region free and pure awesome.
Posted Image

#410 Rooster752

Rooster752

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

$15 seems like a lot of money for raystorm.

#411 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

Raystorm wasn't even a good game when it came out in like '95... Rayforce was fucking awesome, and then Raystorm basically did the same thing, except with ugly 3D and slower, less enjoyable gameplay. I'm not shelling out $15 for a high definition version of disappointment.

Oh, and Ketsui is fucking awesome.

#412 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:29 AM

http://www.siliconer...dius-excellent/

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#413 handsome_rakshas

handsome_rakshas

Judgment of the Sea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:37 AM

http://www.siliconer...dius-excellent/

Pretty cool, don't think I'd pay 60 bucks for it though. Maybe the price will come down a bit, thanks for the news.
Posted Image

#414 weevles

weevles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:09 AM

Agreed. I'm not sure what Konami is thinking, especially since the Holiday game rush is going to begin around Sept and that kind of game is going to get lost in the shuffle rather quickly, particularly with the hype that's going to drop for the new motion control stuff. Still, I wonder if they're going to bring over the special arcade stick to go along with the game too.

#415 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:06 AM

Otomedius and Ys 7!!!! Im a happy gamer now!!

#416 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:01 AM

I've started picking up some old Genesis shooters. Pretty cool.
[cp][/cp]

#417 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

Agreed. I'm not sure what Konami is thinking, especially since the Holiday game rush is going to begin around Sept and that kind of game is going to get lost in the shuffle rather quickly, particularly with the hype that's going to drop for the new motion control stuff. Still, I wonder if they're going to bring over the special arcade stick to go along with the game too.

Oh man, they'd rape my wallet. There's no way I could resist that thing if it came out in the US.

I still like Raystorm. I'm not paying $15 for it but I remember playing it constantly near its US launch with the default settings, visions of winning the Working Designs high score contest dancing in my head. It remains one of the few shooters I played where I actually tried to take advantage of the scoring system as opposed to just trying to beat the game on one credit.

#418 weevles

weevles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:15 PM

Senko no Ronde Duo is out--sequel to the first Space Fighting Game/Pseudo-Shooter:

I wonder if it will get ported over like the first one? I thought the original game was ok. I'd give this one a shot (shmup puns always intended in here).

#419 dkreegz515

dkreegz515

Dave "Drama" Kreegz

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

is there a list of exactly what Region Free shmups there are?
Posted Image

#420 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:47 PM

is there a list of exactly what Region Free shmups there are?

just Mushihimesama and Espgaluda 2 (normal edition only)

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312