Photo
- - - - -

Shmup News & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
614 replies to this topic

#511 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

Cave sure likes to reuse graphics/effects. Not saying I wouldn't like to get it if it's region free, though. :)

EDIT: Ok, this is funny, but I think I was thinking of ... umm ... Dodonpachi Resurrection on the iPhone. Hmm, no wonder there's reuse. :)

Edited by crunchewy, 10 January 2011 - 04:08 PM.

Crunchewy.png

#512 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Anyone getting DDP Black Label? Comes out next month for J360. I dunno if it's going to be region-free like MMP/PS will be.

I will be. I'll be getting the retail version, because KetsuPachi looks amazing. Hard to believe it's just a month away. Why... it feels like just a month and a half ago I shelled out for Daifukkatsu!

Wait... it was.

I do hope that both Black Label and Ketsupachi are different enough from the original game, and ideally a bit more difficult as well.

#513 weevles

weevles

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, wait 'til you get to the last boss (assuming you can get there)...lol.

#514 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

My friend who likes shooters played a cave game (Guwange) for the first time this weekend and made this parody of Double Dragon as a testament to how much he hates cave games.

Posted Image

It's a manic beat em up! So many enemies on the screen, you can't see your own character!
Posted Image

#515 weevles

weevles

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:39 AM

Your friend misses the point. :cry:

Although, to be fair, Guwange can be tricky to learn. I can barely get out of the first level without continuing. >_<

Definitely need to get used to the patterns and the gameplay of each of the characters, let alone the scoring system. :p

Edited by gunm, 11 January 2011 - 12:55 AM.

#516 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:15 AM

I want this stick so hard

that's what she said!!!

#517 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:48 AM

Guwange is a very difficult game, but I'm a lightweight. Something about it hasn't quite clicked for me. I can get beat up in M. Futari and yet enjoy it. Guwange's control scheme is hard to wrap my head around - controlling that other thingermabob is difficult. I had more fun with the 360 version, that kind of turns it, sort of, into a dual-stick shooter, but not quite.

Crunchewy.png

#518 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

Guwange is a very difficult game, but I'm a lightweight. Something about it hasn't quite clicked for me. I can get beat up in M. Futari and yet enjoy it. Guwange's control scheme is hard to wrap my head around - controlling that other thingermabob is difficult. I had more fun with the 360 version, that kind of turns it, sort of, into a dual-stick shooter, but not quite.

I don't like how you have to hold one of the triggers in 360 mode to move the shiki. WTF can't you just move the other stick without holding the button?
Posted Image

#519 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

I don't like how you have to hold one of the triggers in 360 mode to move the shiki. WTF can't you just move the other stick without holding the button?

I presume that there's times when, from a scoring standpoint, you don't want the shiki out and about, but I don't really know. I just presume that's the case, as otherwise it makes no sense.

Crunchewy.png

#520 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

Why the hell does Zeit2 (XBLA) have up and down reversed?!? The game is kind of interesting with it's time reversal thing (think Braid), but the reversed up/down kills it dead. Push up to go down and vice versa. The options don't have a setting for this either. Were they just trying to make it harder? Weird.

#521 weevles

weevles

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:02 AM

Almost down to the name, a Metal Slug clone/copy:

http://www.gametrail...yer/709564.html

#522 weevles

weevles

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:37 AM

Vertishmup from 5pb: "Bullet Soul".

#523 weevles

weevles

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Hey, Mamoru-kun is coming to (Japan) PS3. It's not the greatest game, but I'm just surprised it ended the 360-exclusivity. Now I wish Sorny and Cave would kiss and hug and actually port good shmups to PS3. :(

#524 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

I needa place to put these for future reference... more xbox indie games;

#525 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:16 AM

Does anyone know what is in the muchi and pink sweet limited edition? Also is this coming to the states?

#526 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

Does anyone know what is in the muchi and pink sweet limited edition? Also is this coming to the states?

I don't know. I think you can play against some of the bosses from PinkSweets in Muchi Muchi on the LE.

Comes out the 24th I believe.
Posted Image

#527 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:32 AM

it wont come out in the states; Cave is reaching out to its international fans by telling them that the game is region free via facebook and twitter.

The LE comes with a soundtrack, and I think some DLC modes.

and yah, new trailer! get hype!!

#528 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:03 AM

You sure it's not all the first print run copies that have the DLC, not just the LE?

Cuz that's how Cave's done it up till this point. Not sure if the policy changed or what.

#529 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:13 AM

who knows if they'll include sum kinda 1.01 ver or something??

but...

http://www.andriasan...uchi_pink_date/

"The limited edition will include a download code for the Cave Festival version of Muchi Muchi Pork and a two disc Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets soundtrack CD.

The Cave Festival version of Muchi Muchi Pork is a special version that was on display at past Cave Festival events. Once you've defeated the boss of each stage, you face off against a Pink Sweets boss."

#530 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

If I get the LE version of the game would I have trouble using the dlc code?

Edited by ryosnk, 17 February 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#531 weevles

weevles

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

IIRC, as long as you have a JPN account, you can redeem the DLC that way.

#532 weevles

weevles

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

New Cave Shmup (fap fap fap): Akai Katana (Red Sword)!

http://www.gametrail...yer/710799.html

#533 LostRoad

LostRoad

I just want to wake up.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:44 AM

So is Pink Sweets any good? Don't really care for what I have seen of Pork, but it's an added bonus all the same.
No matter how good looking she is, some one some where is sick of her shit.

Posted Image

#534 weevles

weevles

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

It's an "easier" shmup than Cave's typical releases. I'd say if you're new or want Cave Lite, then it's not a bad way to go. The game is a two n one pack which is also a nice bonus. The only way to get these before was via $1k+ arcade boards.

#535 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:42 AM

Does the regular version contain the dlc code?

#536 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:05 AM

first of all, no these games are not easier. They are still rather difficult.

2nd, if you are only interested in Pink Sweets, then that game sucks. Not becoz it is bad, but becoz MMP is IMO a much better game so per your perspective PS would not interest you.

anyways, these games are both very fun and addicting!! If you have played other Cave games, these games play absolutely nothing like them!!

the reason is they were made by Shinobu Yagawa of Raizing/Battle Garegga fame and not the usual Cave people. Note I do not know who the usual Cave ppl are nor have I ever played Battle Garegga O_o lol

for starters, the enemy and bullet patterns arent typical Cave so off the bat the games feel different. Second there is no counter management, nor ship speed differences when using different shots, so the scoring systems are very different as well.

The scoring in both games is actually very simple, however the better you perform the higher your rank goes up making the game much more difficult. The depth of the games comes from controlling your rank while trying to maximize your score.

EOJ's review is here: http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=1041

and note the game defaults to version 1.01 unless you choose 1.00 in the options menu. Again, the games are very fun and addicting, regardless of port quality.

and yes the regular edition comes with DLC, but only the first run. Chances are, they're all gone by now.

#537 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

Got PinkSweets/MMP yesterday and I must say these games are much more difficult than I was expecting.

I've heard people say that MMP is more of an entry level game like DS, but I found it tough (although I didn't play on easy)

So Do I need to start a JP account to redeem the DLC code?
Posted Image

#538 LostRoad

LostRoad

I just want to wake up.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

Hmm, I keep an eye out for when it shows up on ebay a bit cheaper.
No matter how good looking she is, some one some where is sick of her shit.

Posted Image

#539 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

I have a chance to buy donpachi pcb for $200, progear (cave) for $360 and battle garrega pcb for $250. Are these good prices?

Edited by ryosnk, 15 March 2011 - 09:49 PM.

#540 weevles

weevles

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

Depends on the condition, and how complete it is--are those just the bare boards? If it has the art, then I'd say that it's a very good price.

The Garegga board is pretty hard to find, and those that are selling it want a silly amount of money for it, but on the other hand, you could just get the Saturn disc cheaper. My interest in arcade boards is over with. Unless you're good with fixing/maintaining them, it's just a pain in the ass to collect, not to mention a money sink compared to console versions.