Trash Panic - PSN Garbage Puzzle Game - Out Now - $4.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/15/tgs-08-hands-on-gomibako-psn/

Click to embiggen

When we say that Gomibako -- a new PSN title -- is trashy, we're not aiming to dis the game. You see, we're not referring to the game's quality, we're simply referring to what the game's all about. The given name "Gomibako" literally means "trash box," or "trash can" if you prefer. It's all about festering piles of garbage and how to get rid of them properly (and by "properly," we really mean "in outrageous and silly ways").

In going about our Earth-friendly activities, Gomibako asks players to fill up a giant blue bin with as much trash as possible. The game plays a lot like Tetris, and so, it's important to properly place each falling piece of garbage in order to conserve space for more items to come. But since we're not talking about irregularly-shaped articles of trash, conserving space proves to be a little more difficult than it sounds.

As garbage flows in and you're starting to make a decent-sized pile, you'll notice that placing certain objects on other objects of a different type will cause them to break -- ultimately altering the sizable footprint of any object. For example, if a giant Buddhist bell that's made out of metal is in the trash pile, anything that hits it and is made of wood will shatter into pieces. If the item happens to be a wooden coffin, it becomes nothing more than a pile of boards.

Material composition is just one thing. It gets slightly more complicated as the elements are added. After playing a bit further, you'll notice that you might get something that looks like a sword on fire. This means you can start burning trash in your bin. Anything that actually could catch on fire or combust in real life will do just that at the touch of this item. The idea here is to chain combustible trash. After awhile, the trash will explode and be removed from the bin. Another way of getting rid of trash is to smash open objects that contain water and start flooding the bin. Doing so will slowly rot away the items in the water. You'll want to do this so you can continue filling up the bin without overflowing.

Interestingly the game also has "bosses" -- or at least, boss items which need to be thrown away in the bin. They are significantly more difficult to work with. The one we saw was a rather large truck, which due to its size, was a tougher to find a spot for. All things considered, including the material composition and elemental effects, there's actually quite a lot going on here. The more difficult levels will certainly be interesting to see. When a stage is cleared, you'll be given a rating of either ECO (good) or EGO (bad) depending on how much trash you've disposed of.

Underneath Gomibako's Tetris-like gameplay lies a social consciousness teaching us the importance of good waste disposal. Japan is no stranger to efficient plans on keeping its environment clean and green, and we'd like to think the game's concept would reach out positively toward that crowd. In fact, it was the most popular PSN title among the Japanese gamers who waited in line to play PSN games. This strong localized taste has us worried, though -- worried over whether the title would be released elsewhere. If it isn't, we'd most certainly be disappointed to miss out on such an interesting game.

Will there be online play kind of like all the tetris knock-offs, that would make this very cool, especially if you can use elemental effects on your opponent, maybe be able to flood their garbage with water.

Either way sounds interesting. Hopefully it won't come out too soon or it will just get lost like so many other games.

PS3 is getting filled with great physics-based games.

Sounds pretty interesting. Might get it depending on price. If it's fairly straight forward Tetris, I'll wait for it to go on sale or something.

Minor nitpick, but starting this year, aren't trophies mandatory?

[quote name='theflicker']Sounds pretty interesting. Might get it depending on price. If it's fairly straight forward Tetris, I'll wait for it to go on sale or something.

Minor nitpick, but starting this year, aren't trophies mandatory?[/quote]
Why nitpick about a thread made last fall when trophies weren't in every game being released?

hotpocketninja - It's not out yet, so wait for the announcement.

I watched the Famitsu Wave DVD video on the JPN PSN for this, it really looks FUN!
Is this even coming here? Man I hope so.

Also, the girl in that video, is SUPER CUTE!!!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why nitpick about a thread made last fall when trophies weren't in every game being released?

hotpocketninja - It's not out yet, so wait for the announcement.[/QUOTE]

Sorry bout that. Didn't even notice that this is from October. The low reply count tricked me.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I doubt it comes out the same day since SCEA has the Spring Fever thing going on right now and that wasn't mentioned as being part of it.[/quote]

Right, so no simultaneous release it is.
Isn't it spelt Gomibako not "Gamibako"?

I bought the game off the Hong Kong store.
Pretty difficult game!

I managed to sneak a Rank A once, but every other time it's been Rank E or D. (the best is SSS)

There are 5 levels, and each has their own "theme" of sorts. There's also a mission mode where you have a specific goal to accomplish.
There's offline competitive multiplayer, and the trophies seems extremely daunting.
The easiest one seems to be one of those lame 'play for 24 hours' type, but the description reads "You are BAUER!"[sic] which made me laugh.

Hope it makes it to the states, if only so that someone makes a trophy guide. ;)

BTW, Gomibako means "Trash can."

"Gomi" = Trash
"Bako" = Can

Consider yourself schooled! ;)

I'm looking forward to the game and some more impressions when it comes stateside.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Hey dallow, do the menus happen to be in English?[/quote]Sorry I missed your question, but yes, the game is 100% English off the HK store only.
Menus, manual, everything.

[quote name='Ecofreak']BTW, Gomibako means "Trash can."

"Gomi" = Trash
"Bako" = Can

Consider yourself schooled! ;)

I'm looking forward to the game and some more impressions when it comes stateside.[/quote]I've heard that. :)
The official English name seems to be Trash Box.
I don't now if it'll make it to the states though.

[quote name='dallow']Sorry I missed your question, but yes, the game is 100% English off the HK store only.
Menus, manual, everything.[/quote]
That is excellent news! Thanks, dallow.

I think I actually saw someone with the game installed (it was in their trophy list) and it was called (I think) "*someone* presents Trash Box!". I saw it when I was playing RE5 Versus and looked at one my opponent's profiles.

[quote name='dallow']I bought the game off the Hong Kong store.
Pretty difficult game!

I managed to sneak a Rank A once, but every other time it's been Rank E or D. (the best is SSS)

There are 5 levels, and each has their own "theme" of sorts. There's also a mission mode where you have a specific goal to accomplish.
There's offline competitive multiplayer, and the trophies seems extremely daunting.
The easiest one seems to be one of those lame 'play for 24 hours' type, but the description reads "You are BAUER!"[sic] which made me laugh.

Hope it makes it to the states, if only so that someone makes a trophy guide. ;)[/quote]

Is there a demo on the HK store? :)

Yeah I'll probably get this if it's $10. None of this $15 and $20 PSN price tag games I've seen lately without a demo.

thanks for the update frisky...hope my group decides to get this.

Sure it will be one of the easier games to localize....how much dialogue/wording can it really include?!

Yeah I bought it.. played the first round, didn't understand the rules, lol but it seems kinda fun. I will mess with it more this weekend.

yeah I'm very surprised at the difficulty level. The amount of junk that is dumped when you don't defeat a boss or destroy one of the 'montana' (sp. i know) things is nuts!!! I'll put my practice in. got to level 4 on normal.....was happy with myself.

OK so when you make stuff fall, do you have to hit the triangle button to make it "smash"? Or does it matter? lol I guess I don't get how to win at this game but it's pretty cool. :)

Picked this up today and I'm really enjoying it even though it is quite difficult. Reading the instructions does help some with the strategy of the game. I have yet to get above an E on the normal difficulty though. I have no idea how you would get an SSS. At least you can advance even if you don't rate highly.

I purchased the game over the weekend and so far have really enjoyed it. I beat Sweets mode and I can get to Level 5 on Maindish but can't beat it. I was extremely close once but the last item fell off the top and I lost. Stupid mountain.

damn, even i thought i was doing great and still, grade E... i don't see much strategy here, just smash things efficiently and that's pretty much it.

I don't understand the montori (spell?) and the slowmo when an item dropped (you suppose to save it?) I know that you're not suppose to have three items dropped. I'm surprised that there's no tutorial mode.

Okay so I can get to the Final Boss in Level 5 of Trash Panic nearly every time now. But how do you break it? It is a raincloud and I cant figure it out

Highest grade on any stage ive gotten is a C and my Trash Can was nearly empty at the end. Remember use the Decompose Ball to increase grade
BTW, Stage 4 has a lot of bombs. Stage 5 not so much. Its all about the oil on stage 5

Someone help a brother out!

I just got a Top 10 weekly score on sweets Level 1. Top 3 weekly score Maindish Level 1. Here are some tips I have figured out.

1) Most, if not all items, have a weak spot. Figure out (it is often the weak spot on the real life item) that spot and they tend to break easier.
2) Conversely, items have a strong point to break other items. For example, smash with the scissor points, or the base of the stapler.
3) Make sure you shake the can to get things to compress.
4) Certain items tend to protect others. If you lay a sponge on top of something it can be difficult to break what is underneath.

I think the replayablity of this game really comes from trying to figure out the strong and weak areas of each item to break it as quickly as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='smiggity']Okay so I can get to the Final Boss in Level 5 of Trash Panic nearly every time now. But how do you break it? It is a raincloud and I cant figure it out

Highest grade on any stage ive gotten is a C and my Trash Can was nearly empty at the end. Remember use the Decompose Ball to increase grade
BTW, Stage 4 has a lot of bombs. Stage 5 not so much. Its all about the oil on stage 5

Someone help a brother out![/QUOTE]

You have to burn it.
Just be aware that after the boss they throw a lot of tough things at you.
I was able to beat him once and then I lost at the very end the last piece of trash fell off the top.
I thought I finally had it.

Finally beat level 5 last night, you basically need a huge fire to be burning when the boss comes, and just drop him on the fire.

Little did I know there is another level, #6 where you are in space. It doesnt show up as a single level select though, so I am hoping it is the final one.

bread's done
Back