Were the Pokemon GCN RPG games any good?

Filler2001

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I was thinking about picking up one (or both) of these, and I would like to know if these are worth the 20$ and 30$ used price points (Colosseum and Gale of Darkness respectively). Thanks in advance!

I got both off craigslist a few months back for far less than that. I've played a few hours in Colosseum, and I don't think it is worth $20. You'd be better off picking up an extra GBA game that you haven't played (FireRed for instance). They are not visually impressive anymore (if they were...), and aren't as good as the handheld Pokemon games.

Other opinions may vary. In the pokemon social group I asked:

Question for you all. I just picked up Colosseum and XD off craigslist for $10. I am trying to decide between keeping and trading these. What are your thoughts on pokemon obtained through these, and overall game quality?
This was the response.

I'd say give XD atleast 1 playthrough since it's the only way to legitly obtain lugia this generation.

Also, they're on goozex for 150 and 300 points each ($7.50 and $15 if you just buy points), and there are currently disc only copies ready to go.

They're good for a few extra Pokemon for your GBA games, and breeding fodder. Great way to nab Ultra Balls, TM's, and other Balls for your game, sonce you can win the Collessuem games.

Collesseum is fun, but rather short. once our Pokemon level up high enough, wins come rather too easy.

Once you do, you can transfer your GBA Pokemon and quickly level those up. A good 1hr 15 minutes gets me about 20 -30 levels (the lower they start, the more they gain) on Level 10 of the Battle Tower. I use 5 powerhouses, and Exp Share the Pokemon I need to level up in a hurry.

So, if you're looking for fats evolution and PokeDex completion, then yes, Colloseum is great. Or want a quick fun game.

As pure RPG games, I would say no, unless the Cube is the only system you have to play RPGs on, in which case you just gotta take what you can get.

I never played the Colosseum game, but I did play thru XD. I found it to be very quick (less than 20 hours for a vet RPG player) and very easy. I would recommend it to younger players who may be new to RPGs in general and those who may be familiar with Pokemon, either thru the cartoon or the handheld games. But for veteran RPG players, it doesn't hold up at all against most of the other handful of RPGs available
for the Gamecube.

But seriously, I wouldn't pay the prices you listed for them ($20 and $30) especially used. They can be found for much cheaper if you are patient and willing to do some searching.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I still dream of the day they make a Pokemon MMO.[/quote]

Now that would be awesome
ah man
now i'm depressed knowing they will never make one

I'd say get both GCN pokemon rpg games with Colosseum you can get some Johto pokemon the Johto starters, the legendary dogs, umbreon, espeon, and Ho-Ohand in Gale of Darkness you can some johto pokemon, I think you can get the johto starters too I dunno, the legendary birds, and Lugia.

I say it's worth getting both for the three starters, legendary birds & dogs, Ho-Oh and Lugia, but I think it can be found cheaper I dunno or wait for a coupon off the price or buy 2 get 1 free type sell.. =)

It's comical that you're saying you should get the games, not because they are good games, but because you can get certain pokemon with them. What a win for Nintendo.

I guess pretty muchly that's why I got the two games mainly to get the three legendary dogs, Ho-Oh, Lugia, and the Johto starters also I didn't have the time or money to drive to the events where they give the ingame items for Ho-Oh and Lugia at the time I liked the games when they were released pretty decent, but the main draw for me was getting pokemon I couldn't get without using a cheating device which I don't like using those on any of my games..

Like tsmvengy says "Gotta Catch 'em All!!!!" in the GBA times it was pretty hard to catch certain pokemon so I got Gales of darkness as a gift and I bought Colosseum when it came out to get the Jirachi disc..

Last edited by a moderator:
I only play Gale of Darkness, and I have to say this game is pretty average. It might be enjoyable to younger players. Many of contents from the handheld are strip down and those animation sequences are dirt slow. I also hate those one time capture of Shadow Pokemon. You have to save constantly to make sure you don't kill them by accident.

[quote name='crunchewy']It's comical that you're saying you should get the games, not because they are good games, but because you can get certain pokemon with them. What a win for Nintendo.[/quote]

I think this is a testament to how great the main pokemon series is.

bread's done
Back