Help setting up Gamecube to my Pc monitor.

Ramza394

CAGiversary!
So I just hooked up my Gamecube to my Pc monitor with the standard AV cables and the picture looks like crap. With all of the research I've done component cables are the holy grail but they wont work on my computer and they are to damn expensive. So here's my questions.

1. Do I need my computer at a specific resolution to play the Gamecube at optimal resolution.

2. Is their any computer software that I need?

3. Would the S-video cable really help all that much.

Any idea's would help out a lot.

I'll take a stab at this, but it's somewhat of a random answer...

If you're hooking up a Gamecube to a PC monitor, I'm assuming you're running 31Khz through a D-sub 15 pin connector. Without the component cables, the Gamecube will only output 15kHz (480i) through s-video or composite.

You can get a true RGB signal by modifying the component video cables (yeah, they're expensive). A modified cable is capable of 15Khz RGB analog video as well as 31Khz Progressive Scan RGB).

This tutorial has a very detailed run through making a component cable into a VGA cable:

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:gamecube_rgb

Hope this helps....

Thanks for the reply, yeah it is a random question, I just wanted to play The Legend of Zelda windwaker and my tv is crap so I thought that I would just hook it up to my monitor since it has both an AV and S-video connection on the back of the monitor. I'll totally take a look at the video link. Thanks.

These cables are getting more common to find at Gamestops and they are cheap there. You should check at your local GS or EB.

Thanks for the tutorial on modding a cable. I have one and I might give this a try.

EDIT: on second thought, that looks difficult. Not sure I'll try it. Oh well. There are also commercially available component to VGA boxes and there are ones that go from normal AV to VGA. I have a box that is specific to the gamecube and plugs right into it and on the other end is a VGA cable. It works OK, though the quality isn't great.

^^ Yeah, it's not an easy mod, for sure. I tried it and it took me a while to get it right, but it does work. The cables are out there, but they're still going to be at least $50.

I've got my 'Cube running 480p to a Hitachi plasma, and it really is awesome. In fact, I prefer it to my VGA CRT (but, that's hooked up to my Dreamcast). Of course, all of this reminds me how far ahead of the game the Dreamcast was, with VGA output supported in so many of games....

Kind of wishing places like Radioshack would sell VGA boxes or some sort cable that allowed for component cables to be plugged in and on the other side go straight to the moniter, but oh well!

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Kind of wishing places like Radioshack would sell VGA boxes or some sort cable that allowed for component cables to be plugged in and on the other side go straight to the moniter, but oh well![/QUOTE]

I think the X2VGA is it.

http://www.x2vga.com/

[quote name='redline']I think the X2VGA is it.

http://www.x2vga.com/[/QUOTE]

The X2VGA only supports progressive scan component input, so that means that games which don't support progressive scan won't work. There is another VGA box, the name of which is escaping me at the moment, that does support 480i, but this one doesn't (there's a confusing mention of 480i, but when you look at the support section you'll see that it doesn't really support 480i.

Hopefully somebody remembers what the one I am thinking of is called because I've been considering buying one, and now I can't find it. :(

bread's done
Back