Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff $5 off at Amazon

tecmo super bowl is easily one of the best games ever made, and this is supposed to be based off of that. definitely excited... too bad multiplayer wont be the same sit-around-the-nes experience :(

I had no idea about this game until now. I think I put more hours into Tecmo Bowl than any other game. I'm unstoppable as the New York Giants.

I'm definitely going to grab this.

i like part 3 they best where you could name everyone on your team and then you could trade for other players....

Anyone remember the LIMITED ed part 2 that used to fetch 100+ LOL

I wish Amazon also gave away Tecmo Bowl shirts for preordering like Gamestop.

But thanks, Virgil. I know some people would love this for xmas, so I'll buy two. Not to mention that I need some ppl to play against!

[quote name='maaddmax']Nice! I had no idea about this game till now! Definatly going to download it.[/QUOTE]

Like, WHOA!! REPORTED!

Wow - didn't know about this. I have never been able to get into the 3D football games. I feel like I have little control over what is going on in them, or at least less. The old games were so much more fun. Hopefully the gameplay proves great. EDIT: lack of NFL names doesn't bother me. In fact it fits the style of this game perfectly and they can have fun with naming the teams. I think the ones in the screenshots are pretty funny.

Everything about the game can be edited. There will surely be rosters that you can get for it that will have real teams and players.

This price is great, but I'm not gonna lie - I gotta have that Tecmo Bowl t-shirt from Gamestop. That is too hot.

From what I've heard, it is stylus enhanced. I thought you could play the entire game without the stylus... but I may be wrong.

ROFL that bo jackson video is hilarious. If you pulled that showboating back when we were playing the NES version, fists would fly.

Almost as bad as the "B-shot" in Blades of Steel

You can supposedly play old school or stylus controls. I think I'll go old school since I was playing the original right when it came out on NES but stylus control for passing could be cool just tapping the receiver to throw to maybe.

Tecmo Super Bowl is the best sports game ever created, still to this day! It's a tragedy TSB or TBK it is not available on XBLA.

FYI guys... you can actually play tecmo super bowl online already via emulator.

There are dozens of leagues dedicated to original rom rosters, hacked modern rosters, hacked older roster, 32 team enhancement (used to be 28), longer quarters, the list goes on. There are even league managers that allow you to upload your stats into an internet database.

check out these sites if you're interested... I've been playing for about 5 years online now:

www.knobbe.org
www.sois.com/tpc
www.tecmo.us
www.puretecmo.com/forum

knobbe is more of a community, tpc is a pickup game league for newer players, tecmoworld and puretecmo are dedicated to league play for the most part... although there's quite the mccain v obama arguments going on in the general forums. Feel free to hit me up for info; my aim is the same as my username here.

I am definitely buying this game.

[quote name='J7.']Tecmo Super Bowl is the best sports game ever created, still to this day! It's a tragedy TSB or TBK it is not available on XBLA.[/quote]

Yeah, but you still wouldn't be able to play it with the licensed rosters. Tecmo Bowl is available on Wii's Virtual Console, and all of the rosters are whitewashed since the NFL/NFLPA licensing for the game expired a long time ago (and they couldn't get a new license even if they wanted to, due to EA's current exclusivity deal).

Kingsoby1 is totally right, the best way to play the old game nowadays is online (I never even knew about that, thanks for the heads-up!).

no problem. Playing online via nestopia is almost like playing live against someone... although a lot of leagues still use the laggy nesticle emu.

Any CAGs are welcome to hit me up on AIM or PM if you want more info or help starting up a game.

I had no idea people were still using nesticle for it.

I used to play it online back around 99 or '00... It would be entertaining to give it a go again.

I have no doubt that I'll be picking up this version though.

I used to play online in some of those leagues back in '01-'02ish, even ran my own league at one point. I kinda miss it.

Anyways, this new one, without an NFL license, I don't see it going anywhere but down in price (a la All-Pro 2k8). I'm guessing it'll be 15-20 new in no time, if we're patient.

[quote name='JTHuffy']I used to play online in some of those leagues back in '01-'02ish, even ran my own league at one point. I kinda miss it.

Anyways, this new one, without an NFL license, I don't see it going anywhere but down in price (a la All-Pro 2k8). I'm guessing it'll be 15-20 new in no time, if we're patient.[/quote]
Yeah Huffy, I remember you vaguely. I was just joining OTFL and some PT leagues back when you stopped playing. OTFL is dead btw :(... after merging with puretecmo (never thought that would happen eh...)

Lots of hacks have been discovered since then... it's pretty crazy.

Was that (your cag name) your tecmo name too? It doesn't seem too familiar, but a ton of new people were coming in when I went out (I was one of the last ones still on dialup back then, and was having connection problems all the time, so I dropped out). Sad to hear OTFL went down, the league I actually ran was OTFL BCS, we hacked some college rom and put all the better college teams that year (tried to also cater to some schools that weren't as good, but some players had connection to, like me with Syracuse, and that was before the sucked...this bad at least). I probably still have that rom somewhere.

This is a must buy in my opinion. I actually just paid it off at my local gamestop. You're supposed to get a free T-shirt when you pick it up.

[quote name='silks']Yeah, but you still wouldn't be able to play it with the licensed rosters. Tecmo Bowl is available on Wii's Virtual Console, and all of the rosters are whitewashed since the NFL/NFLPA licensing for the game expired a long time ago (and they couldn't get a new license even if they wanted to, due to EA's current exclusivity deal).

Kingsoby1 is totally right, the best way to play the old game nowadays is online (I never even knew about that, thanks for the heads-up!).[/quote]
Is Kickoff going to have online play? The thing is I don't have wireless internet and I have not seen the DS wireless adapter usb thing for sale in years. I used to be in a league and play tecmo bowl using a nes emulator too, but it would be so much easier if it was on a console than playing in a league with scheduled games, emulation, and crappy pc controls.

[quote name='J7.']Is Kickoff going to have online play? The thing is I don't have wireless internet and I have not seen the DS wireless adapter usb thing for sale in years. I used to be in a league and play tecmo bowl using a nes emulator too, but it would be so much easier if it was on a console than playing in a league with scheduled games, emulation, and crappy pc controls.[/QUOTE]

According to what I have read, it has both local and online multiplayer (either random strangers or friend code). Not sure what form the multiplayer takes though; I would guess that they are more like one off exhibition matches than league play.

There's no way there's going to be league play. In a DS game? Forget it. Most Wii sports games don't even have league play.

[quote name='WatchdogXC']You can supposedly play old school or stylus controls. I think I'll go old school since I was playing the original right when it came out on NES but stylus control for passing could be cool just tapping the receiver to throw to maybe.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I read that when passing with the stylus you actually drag the stylus across the screen from QB to intended WR.

[quote name='silks']There's no way there's going to be league play. In a DS game? Forget it. Most Wii sports games don't even have league play.[/QUOTE]

i think it has a 5 year season stats ..... if they do remove it it will suck. Just like the little leauge baseball game. they removed everything when they put it on the ds

I went to gamestop to try to buy this but they said it doesn't come out til the 18th. And that's what the Gamestop website says too. What a sneaky sneaky last second delay. You with your delays Tecmo. I remember Ninja Gaiden on Xbox.

[quote name='silks']There's no way there's going to be league play. In a DS game? Forget it. Most Wii sports games don't even have league play.[/quote]
Who said anything about it having league play? You should reread what I wrote, I was talking about playing in leagues online, I was not saying this would have league play, I ain't that stupid.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']I went to gamestop to try to buy this but they said it doesn't come out til the 18th. And that's what the Gamestop website says too. What a sneaky sneaky last second delay. You with your delays Tecmo. I remember Ninja Gaiden on Xbox.[/QUOTE]

gamefly had it coming the 13th now pushed back to the 14th...

man im sick of wasting cash.. I upgraded for 1 more game out at a time plan to get this shipped first day. Now it seems if gamestop is right i wasted 1.75 (1 week upgrade)

tempted to just go out and buy it for 30 and throw it up on Goozex for a quick 800 pts

bread's done
Back