Most current PS2 is tiny! See Pics.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:12 AM

I'm also going to wait for retail "to die" when it comes to the PS2. Since they removed BC on the PS3 and component looks "ok" on my HDTV I'm going to grab one of these to replace my fat PS2.

#32 hitmandls2

hitmandls2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

I just picked up a Slim Lego Batman Bundle at Blockbuster for $140 (with some good flips). This thing is awesome. I had to get rid of my PS2 fat when the Xbox360 took over its space on the shelf. Now i can have my ps2 back and take it anywhere!

Combine this with a ton of cheap games from Hollywood Video and the PS2 doesn't look that dead yet.

#33 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

It's crazy that it's about the same size as the GameGear or the Lynx. Put a LCD on top and you've got the best portable console in the history of gaming.

#34 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:22 PM

It's crazy that it's about the same size as the GameGear or the Lynx. Put a LCD on top and you've got the best portable console in the history of gaming.

I was just thinking about that the other day; why hasn't Sony released a mountable LCD screen for the PS2 like they did for the PSone?

Maybe they have eventual plans for a truly portable, battery-powered PS2?

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#35 laaj

laaj

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

Most games weren't designed for that small of a screen. Good luck trying to read menus and any texts on it.

#36 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

Most games weren't designed for that small of a screen. Good luck trying to read menus and any texts on it.

I don't know, PS2 games were still designed for SDTV resolution so it's not like the text size is all that small. I'd say that the average text size (relative to screen size) is roughly similar for PS2 games and DS games, for instance.

http://www.1up.com/m...3376941&type=lg
http://www.1up.com/m...3114209&type=lg

#37 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

That bottom screen is a DS game (looks like FFIII). But you could easily see the text in most PS2 games with an LCD screen the size of a DVD case. Remember, the controller is separate so you don't need to sacrifice screen size to accomodate buttons like the PSP.

#38 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:00 PM

That bottom screen is a DS game (looks like FFIII).

Yeah, that was my point, that when you put an example of a PS2 game next to an example of a DS game, the text size isn't radically different.

#39 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:42 AM

If I can get one of these things on the cheap at some point, I definitely will.

Not to whore out my TL, but ummm....check my TL. :lol: I have a sealed slim with a bunch of controllers and a multitap I put on there a while back for $100 plus shipping. But it IS the older slim model and not the current even smaller slim.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#40 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:46 AM

I got the PSOne screen and never had any trouble reading the text

#41 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:05 PM

One thing I noticed on the pics of the 90001 was that unlike the previous slims, looks like you can't stand this one vertical. No screw hole for the vertical stand (and you can't turn the PS logo lol).

The stands are available in Japan but not the US as of yet. They are much nicer looking then the older circle ones. I just picked one up at play-asia for my new 90001. Here is a link and a picture:
http://www.play-asia...en-70-2ee5.html
Posted Image

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#42 laaj

laaj

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

I don't know, PS2 games were still designed for SDTV resolution so it's not like the text size is all that small. I'd say that the average text size (relative to screen size) is roughly similar for PS2 games and DS games, for instance.

Nice but you forget to factor in the viewing distance. DS screen is no more than 1.5 ft from my eyes and I doubt most of us will be comfortable with that setup on tiny PS2 screen.

#43 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:22 PM

Nice but you forget to factor in the viewing distance. DS screen is no more than 1.5 ft from my eyes and I doubt most of us will be comfortable with that setup on tiny PS2 screen.

I don't get it, what would the difference be? You would play this hypothetical portable PS2 the same way you would a DS (roughly anyway, it would probably be perched on your lap or on a nearby table, but it wouldn't be any further away from your face than a DS would be). You wouldn't put it on a TV stand and try to play it from across the room.

#44 silent h3ro

silent h3ro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:21 AM

I'm will buy a 90000 but not unless it's under $100.

jkam - Judging by that picture, can you turn the PS logo?

#45 PawnTakesKing

PawnTakesKing

The Analytical Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:44 AM

Judging by that picture, can you turn the PS logo?

Yes, you can. I just received my 90001 from Amazon tonight and tried it out myself.

Another thing I noticed about the 90001 is that the disc drive spins pretty loudly. In fact, mine vibrates the entire unit when a disc is playing. I don't know if I just got an unlucky console or if it's the same across the board, but anyone planning on buying one should know that it can be annoying.
Posted Image

#46 silent h3ro

silent h3ro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:20 AM

Thanks, PawnTakesKing. The disc issue doesn't sound too good... If I decide to buy one soon then I will try to post in this thread to mention the issue.

#47 PawnTakesKing

PawnTakesKing

The Analytical Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

To follow-up my previous post about the noisy disc drive:

I did some more testing last night, and it seems the issue is isolated to the old purple-disc games. Newer games such as FF12, Lego Batman, Madden 09, and others run just fine, and the system is completely quiet. However, any purple discs will cause the system to go into a vibrating frenzy.
Posted Image

#48 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:37 PM

Damn. I should test my 90000 series and see if it happens with all of them. My old fat PS2 was well behaved with pretty much any game other than Taito Legends. For some reason that game made so much noise that I didn't dare play it anymore. Crazy.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#49 niceguyshawne

niceguyshawne

Hardcore since '74

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

My fat PS2 ran loud as hell with those blue bottom disks. I think it is just how the PS2 runs CDs.
Posted Image

#50 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

hmmm... Maybe I should finally break down and buy one of these. I've never had a PS2, but got 2 sets of Taiko for ~$15 each. But they don't play on the PS3. Maybe get one of those Black Friday deals... I don't know, that's a lot of money just to play Taiko though.

#51 VAD3R or Fro

VAD3R or Fro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

Tekken Tag Tournament (blue disc) runs fine on my PS2 slim. its an older model with the external power supply. Yes it spins faster but it really isn't going to harm the disc drive.

#52 bmulligan

bmulligan

I am a free man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:20 PM

I'm sure Ben Heckendorn is in the process of making a wristwatch out of this new PS2 Slim.

The Neo-Communist Manifesto: "In your mind freedom is an end in and of itself. In my mind freedom is a means of improving society and giving people a better life. Those ideas result in very different methods of running society. " - alonzomourning23

bmulligan.png<------GOOZEX ?    Goozex is dead.

#53 gar3

gar3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the link to Play-Asia, jkam. I just picked up one of the stands for my Batman Bundle PStwo I was able to score during Amazon's short-lived $99.95 dealio during Black Friday. I bought it for my daughter's room (it's my second US PS2, heh) although I've been using it for Persona 4 a lot more than I thought I would be. Meh, at least the family that plays together stays together . . . or something like that :-D

#54 rc18tbrushless

rc18tbrushless

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:55 AM

I heard when they first released the slim they were having overheating problems. Has that been resolved?

My first PS2 (slim) lasted about a year after 7-8 hours straight on GTA everyday, something happened where it wasn't getting any power, we raplaced that.

The second PS2 (slim) I haven't had any problems with it. It's been ran for 36 hours on B-spec for Gran Turismo 4 more than once and still no problems ;)

I never even realized that they redid the PS2 again. This must of been after the PS3 came out?
I guess they did the same with the PSOne, made it a lot smaller.

#55 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

Tagging.

#56 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:46 AM

I got this one recently in silver. Great revision of the slim. I use to own the older slim model with the power brick and console which were always hot to the touch. The new one I have has a louder fan, but stays much more cool. The internal power supply is also a plus.

#57 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:09 AM

I have an old slim - silver with external power supply. If anyone runs into the vibrating disc problem I say return it and exchange. The first silver slim I got did the same and it was just not normal, I exchanged it that week and my new one does not have that issue.

I am also more sensitive considering I had one of the old fat PS2 that would not play the blue disc...it started out as hard vibration and ended as no play at all.

#58 pixi

pixi

Megabitch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:46 AM

can i pet it? =3

#59 FelixMontgomery

FelixMontgomery

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

Christ that PS2 is tiny...

I was thinking of getting one soon, but my PS2 fat I years ago is still working fine - the only odd thing I've noticed that others I've spoken to don't seem to have is that it plugs into the television via the satellite port...

#60 RPKGameVids

RPKGameVids

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

Interesting how it doesn't have the grill design on the front.

The slim PS2's sure look flimsy, but mine has lasted a lot longer than any of my fat PS2's.