Does the number 187 hold any significance?

GameDude

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I see a lot of people on Xbox Live with 187 after their names. I understand it when people use 69 and 420...but what does 187 mean?

[quote name='GameDude']I see a lot of people on Xbox Live with 187 after their names. I understand it when people use 69 and 420...but what does 187 mean?[/quote]

Wow are you trying to make me feel old.

Don't the kids listen to Snoop Dog anymore?

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='GameDude']I see a lot of people on Xbox Live with 187 after their names. I understand it when people use 69 and 420...but what does 187 mean?[/quote]

Don't the kids listen to Snoop Dog anymore?[/quote]

Damn I guess not.

It's the police code for murder

It's the LAPD police code for Murder to be exact, many other agencies use 10 codes or call it a 31 (Homicide).

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='GameDude']I see a lot of people on Xbox Live with 187 after their names. I understand it when people use 69 and 420...but what does 187 mean?[/quote]

I might be older than you. I didn't know what 69 meant until like my 2nd year in hs. :shock:

[quote name='aoLat']I still don't understand what 420 means. :shock:[/quote]

Hah. Isn't it referencing how Grateful Dead concerts started at 4:30, so people started smoking (weed) at 4:20?

187 = police code for homicide

Once apon a time in the 60s, there was a group of highschool friends who called themselves The *something* (might have been mysterious) Waldos. They would always meet after school at 4:20 to smoke weed. So, whenever they were in school and they wanted to talk about it, they would use 420 as a code word for it.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='aoLat']I still don't understand what 420 means. :shock:[/quote]

Hah. Isn't it referencing how Grateful Dead concerts started at 4:30, so people started smoking (weed) at 4:20?

187 = police code for homicide[/quote]

That would be correct

[quote name='kaji7p56']Oh, yeah? What does the term "Code 4" mean to cops, hotshots?[/quote]

If that means anything, would it be 'officer down' ?

[quote name='AGuth'][quote name='kaji7p56']Oh, yeah? What does the term "Code 4" mean to cops, hotshots?[/quote]

If that means anything, would it be 'officer down' ?[/quote]

Nope. If the cops were searching your house for drugs and didn't find anything, one of the cops would tell the others that the house was "Code 4". It means that everything is normal.

I was thinking Sublime

"It's about comin' up and stayin' on top
And screamin' 1-8-7 on a mother fuckin' cop"

but snoop-a-loop works as well

[quote name='tyecko']"Yeah and it don't stop"
" Cuz it's 187 on tha undercover cop"[/quote]

no no no it's 187 on a mothafuckin cop ;)

see the movie too, it's pretty good

It also got a big boost as part of the title of a Samuel Jackson movie that ran perpetually on cable and reached a lot of people who'd never listen to rap any longer than it takes to change the channel.

Another favorite is 5150. Means the individual is friggin' berserk. Bring the net, tranqs, and tasers.

[quote name='radjago']I've heard some say it was the number of times Al Pacino says shaq-fu in Scarface.[/quote]

Isn't that the 182 from Blink 182?

[quote name='GameDude'][quote name='radjago']I've heard some say it was the number of times Al Pacino says shaq-fu in Scarface.[/quote]

Isn't that the 182 from Blink 182?[/quote]

Yeah.

[quote name='kaji7p56'][quote name='AGuth'][quote name='kaji7p56']Oh, yeah? What does the term "Code 4" mean to cops, hotshots?[/quote]

If that means anything, would it be 'officer down' ?[/quote]

Nope. If the cops were searching your house for drugs and didn't find anything, one of the cops would tell the others that the house was "Code 4". It means that everything is normal.[/quote]

Code 4- No further assitance required. Police codes vary from state to state though, so YMMV.

420 is actually a reference to April 20th the day the Columbine school tragedy happened. 420 actually relates to the date of the Columbine disaster (April 20, 1999.) April 20=4/20 so people figured 4/20 (April 20th) of every year to smoke weed to remember what happened and be greatful that there were survivors. Today alot of its referencing has been lost (which is said Columbine only happened 6 years ago) and like the person said at the top of this thread(1swtdeception) "isn't it national smoke weed day?" it is, but it has a story behind it. I hope this helps.

Also another little fact (nothing to do with the true meaning of 420) but some say it is because hitler was born on April 20th, 1889 but this just went into the minds of the 2 kid sthat commited Columbine, they looked up to hitler, so they did it in his "memorial" sick, but it happened. But my first post is actually the true meaning.

[quote name='JSK414']420 is actually a reference to April 20th the day the Columbine school tragedy happened. 420 actually relates to the date of the Columbine disaster (April 20, 1999.) April 20=4/20 so people figured 4/20 (April 20th) of every year to smoke weed to remember what happened and be greatful that there were survivors. Today alot of its referencing has been lost (which is said Columbine only happened 6 years ago) and like the person said at the top of this thread(1swtdeception) "isn't it national smoke weed day?" it is, but it has a story behind it. I hope this helps.[/quote]

if you honestly think that 420 started because of columbine my best advices is to put a gun to your head... now

uh, I may be getting senial in my old age, but I remember people saying 420 way befor Columbine.

Neat Trivia- 4/20 is Hitlers Birthday
4/20 is also my wifes birthday

420 is actually a reference to April 20th the day the Columbine school tragedy happened. 420 actually relates to the date of the Columbine disaster (April 20, 1999.) April 20=4/20 so people figured 4/20 (April 20th) of every year to smoke weed to remember what happened and be greatful that there were survivors. Today alot of its referencing has been lost (which is said Columbine only happened 6 years ago) and like the person said at the top of this thread(1swtdeception) "isn't it national smoke weed day?" it is, but it has a story behind it. I hope this helps.

I'm sorry, but WHAT? WRONG!!!!

I've heard of 420 since the early 90's. It references a time of day.

Here's my take on it: surfers in California would aloways get up at 4:20 am and smoke before they went out to catch the huge morning waves.

420 means what it wants to for different people, but the analogy is always the same: 4:20=time to smoke weed.

Quick Google search reveals this from a "parenting site"

What Does '420' Mean?
From Denise Witmer,

A recent discussion on our Parenting Advice and Support Forum, had this Guide in puzzlement. I had reported years ago that the term 420(pronounced four twenty, not four hundred and twenty), was police code for smoking marijuana in a feature on pager codes that teenagers use to "talk" to each other. I began researching the number again and it seems I was wrong. Read on to learn the myths, the truth about the origin and what this term means for parents.

Known Myths

Police dispatch code for smoking pot is 420.
The number 420 is not police radio code for anything, anywhere. Checks of criminal codes suggest that the origin is neither Californian nor federal. For instance, California Penal Code 420 defines as a misdemeanor the hindrance of use of public lands.
There are approximately 420 active chemicals in marijuana. Sponsored Links
Parenting Teenage Boys
Sonoma County programs that work from teen boy expert Mitch DeArmon
www.leadershipworks.org

Parenting Teenagers
Get Advice, Trusted Research Now! Better Parenting Starts Here.
www.focusonyourchild.com

Adolescent's Self-Esteem
Step-by-step Roadmap to Skyrocket Your Child's Self-Esteem revealed
www.adolescents-low-self-esteem.com

Actually, there are approximately 315 active chemicals in marijuana. This number goes up and down depending on which plant is used.
April 20th is National Pot Smokers Day.
Well, it is now; but that wasn't the origin.
April 20th is Hitler's birthday.
Yes, it is his birthday. But, as 420 started out as a time, not a date, his birthday had nothing to do with it.
The date of the Columbine school shootings.
This happened after the term was already in use.
4:20 is tea time for pot-smokers in Holland.
Tea time in Holland is at 5:30 pm, or is it 2:30 pm? Seems no one is quite sure when the wonderful people of Holland drink their tea.
The Origin Revealed

According to Steven Hager, editor of High Times, the term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smoking wiseacres who called themselves the Waldos, who are now pushing 50. The term was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. Intent on developing their own discreet language, they made 420 code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of an entire generation. While our teens feel that they know something we don't, you can let them in on the fact that it was your generation that came up with the numbers.

A quote from one of the Waldos in the High Times article states, "We did discover we could talk about getting high in front of our parents without them knowing by using the phrase 420." Fortunately, your teenagers will not have that same option.

[quote name='JSK414']420 is actually a reference to April 20th the day the Columbine school tragedy happened. 420 actually relates to the date of the Columbine disaster (April 20, 1999.) April 20=4/20 so people figured 4/20 (April 20th) of every year to smoke weed to remember what happened and be greatful that there were survivors. Today alot of its referencing has been lost (which is said Columbine only happened 6 years ago) and like the person said at the top of this thread(1swtdeception) "isn't it national smoke weed day?" it is, but it has a story behind it. I hope this helps.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='scsg75']4/20 is Hitlers Birthday
4/20 is also my wifes birthday[/quote]

Coincidence? I think not.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend'][quote name='JSK414']420 is actually a reference to April 20th the day the Columbine school tragedy happened. 420 actually relates to the date of the Columbine disaster (April 20, 1999.) April 20=4/20 so people figured 4/20 (April 20th) of every year to smoke weed to remember what happened and be greatful that there were survivors. Today alot of its referencing has been lost (which is said Columbine only happened 6 years ago) and like the person said at the top of this thread(1swtdeception) "isn't it national smoke weed day?" it is, but it has a story behind it. I hope this helps.[/quote]

if you honestly think that 420 started because of columbine my best advices is to put a gun to your head... now[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.

I dunno what 420 means but I sure as heck know it predates columbine we used it in th emid 90s in High school

[quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='JSK414']420 is actually a reference to April 20th the day the Columbine school tragedy happened. 420 actually relates to the date of the Columbine disaster (April 20, 1999.) April 20=4/20 so people figured 4/20 (April 20th) of every year to smoke weed to remember what happened and be greatful that there were survivors. Today alot of its referencing has been lost (which is said Columbine only happened 6 years ago) and like the person said at the top of this thread(1swtdeception) "isn't it national smoke weed day?" it is, but it has a story behind it. I hope this helps.[/quote]

I dunno what 420 means but I sure as heck know it predates columbine we used it in th emid 90s in High school[/quote]

Yeah I'm with jlarlee on this one, although for us 4:20 happened to be about the time you could get everyone to gether after school for hot boxing.

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='scsg75']4/20 is Hitlers Birthday

Coincidence? I think not.[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='Moxio'][quote name='alongx'][quote name='scsg75']4/20 is Hitlers Birthday

:rofl:[/quote]

Why do the police have a code for a smoking pot?

Do people leave pots on their stove that much?

Man people need to stop causing fires. I always check my stove tops before leaving the house.

[quote name='"defender"']technically he says "one-eight-seven" and not one hundred eighty seven...just to get it right[/quote]

Yea, that is true. (Have been listening to sublime too much after reading this thread.)

[quote name='scsg75']uh, I may be getting senial in my old age, but I remember people saying 420 way befor Columbine.

Also my wife's birthday :) Neat.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend'][quote name='tyecko']"Yeah and it don't stop"

[/quote]

They are both real lines, two different songs. The top one is from that Deep Cover song, or whatever it's called.

187 is acctualy the Police code for Officer Down, and 4:20 is in refrence to a bible verse (like austin3:16) dealing with herb medicinal properties and addapted to smokeing pot.

[quote name='Backlash'][quote name='scsg75']uh, I may be getting senial in my old age, but I remember people saying 420 way befor Columbine.

Also my wife's birthday :) Neat.[/quote]

I'm telling you, this isn't coincedence! :shock:

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='alongx'][quote name='scsg75']4/20 is Hitlers Birthday

[quote name='Backlash'][quote name='Zenithian Legend'][quote name='tyecko']"Yeah and it don't stop"

[/quote]

They are both real lines, two different songs. The top one is from that Deep Cover song, or whatever it's called.[/quote]

is that song in GTA: SA?

bread's done
Back