YMMV - $7 Redbox Used Movies

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I haven't rented before via the Redbox machines, but I did browse one while waiting for a prescription pickup at Walgreen's the other day. I noticed that it had $7 used movies that it would dispense.

I noted these few right away:

-- 88 Minutes
-- Sex in the City Movie
-- 10,000 B.C. (Blu-ray)

There was 4 pages of them. I'm expecting not all 4 pages were in the red box itself, but in various locations. I'm thinking the list just fed off their website somewhere.

This particular box was at the Walgreen's Northridge location (Milwaukee, WI 53223). Completely YMMV, but check it out.

It doesn't feed off of a list, WYSIWYG. Every title shown is available in that particular box.

No, it doesn't come with a box, just the DVD in a nice sturdy redbox case.

FYI: they don't offer Blu-ray AFAIK. 10,000 B.S. was just showing the BD cover-art probably out of laziness, but unless it specifically says Blu-ray in the description then it's the regular DVD. I remember a few other DVDs I've rented from them that had the BD artwork as well, they were just regular DVDs.

Check here for some free rental codes:

http://www.insideredbox.com/codes/

BONUS FYI: anyone who likes those redbox cases as much as I do can get some for free:
Most every Redbox location has "empty case" available for rent. It's in case you lose/damage the case you've rented a DVD from, and need to return it. They'll dispense you a brand new case for $1, but you can use a free rental code to get it for free. I have about 5 cases that I use to carry DVDs in my laptop case for watching movies at work.

Oh, well, too bad it's not Blu-ray. Even disc-only, I would be willing to pay $7 for some good titles, pick some spare cases on the cheap, and print up a cover.

[quote name='Kerig']It doesn't feed off of a list, WYSIWYG. Every title shown is available in that particular box.

No, it doesn't come with a box, just the DVD in a nice sturdy redbox case.

FYI: they don't offer Blu-ray AFAIK. 10,000 B.S. was just showing the BD cover-art probably out of laziness, but unless it specifically says Blu-ray in the description then it's the regular DVD. I remember a few other DVDs I've rented from them that had the BD artwork as well, they were just regular DVDs.

Check here for some free rental codes:

http://www.insideredbox.com/codes/

BONUS FYI: anyone who likes those redbox cases as much as I do can get some for free:
Most every Redbox location has "empty case" available for rent. It's in case you lose/damage the case you've rented a DVD from, and need to return it. They'll dispense you a brand new case for $1, but you can use a free rental code to get it for free. I have about 5 cases that I use to carry DVDs in my laptop case for watching movies at work.[/QUOTE]

Why couldn't it be the Blu-ray that is actually being sold? You do know that there are Blu-rays for rental in select markets right?

[quote name='Pootie Thang']Why couldn't it be the Blu-ray that is actually being sold? You do know that there are Blu-rays for rental in select markets right?[/quote]

Have you actually rented A BD from Redbox, or just talking about the BS reports on the internet?

Anything I read is naive people seeing the BD artwork and assuming Redbox is now offering BD.
The DVD "BD" being the most talked about is Speed Racer.
The picture in the kiosk shows the BD cover, but I rented it ignoring the artwork laziness: It was a DVD, of course.

If you have or know of anyone that has rented a BD, how much was it per night? There's speculation that it'll be more than $1, but that throws the whole Redbox shpiel in a loop.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/09/13/blu-ray-discs-popping-up-in-red-box-rental-kiosks/

This article both confirms and denies BD support by Redbox in the comments section...then becomes a "pink box" discussion :)

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back