Gamestop PS2 Trade In Advice

mattchless

CAG Veteran
Hopefully this is the right forum, just bought the new 80gb PS3 and don't know what to do with my PS2. The only games I still play on it are NCAA07 dynasty's and the GTA series. Gamestop is offering $20 for my system or a $40 store credit, but the $40 credit option expires today! I don't know how often Gamestop runs these promotions and if I should try to take advantage of it. If I trade in my system, memory cards, games, etc. I'll have about $60 which I could use to buy a new PS3 game. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure gamestop standard trade in value for in store credit on a slim ps2 is $40 while the phat is $35, that is unless of course they lowered their trade in credit values again.

Otherwise you can try selling it on ebay or amazon for a better price in actual cash instead of trade in credit.

Edit: I just checked the gamestop website and their current promotion that is ending today is $20 on top of the standard trade in value, which I believe would give you $60 trade in credit for the console alone (unless of course they lowered trade in credit value)

Also you may want to keep your ps2 for those exclusives like persona 4 which is only going to be released on ps2 and not any newer gen consoles. I'm sure there are older ps2 games as well that you may have an itch to play later on that you have missed out on.

Is this the first 80gig model or the newer 80gig model that's like the 40gig but with a bigger hard drive? Because if you've got the newer 80gig model with no PS2 BC, keep the PS2.

[quote name='mattchless']Hopefully this is the right forum, just bought the new 80gb PS3 and don't know what to do with my PS2. The only games I still play on it are NCAA07 dynasty's and the GTA series. Gamestop is offering $20 for my system or a $40 store credit, but the $40 credit option expires today! I don't know how often Gamestop runs these promotions and if I should try to take advantage of it. If I trade in my system, memory cards, games, etc. I'll have about $60 which I could use to buy a new PS3 game. Any thoughts?[/quote]

You should definitely check out the Kmart, Target, Toys R Us and Sears threads for deals on some older games, since I've found that many games aren't worth the full $60 this gen thus far.

However, as others have said, unless you have one of the older backwards compatible model PS3's, I'd just keep the PS2 and accessories, since the newer PS3's don't play PS2 games.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'd just keep the PS2 and accessories, since the newer PS3's don't play PS2 games.[/quote]

From what I've heard, the PS3's that are BC don't play the PS2 games very well anyhow. (did Sony ever fix this?)

If OP doesn't have any PS2 games that he plays, there's really no point in keeping it. If he only wants GTA, Dynasty (Warriors?), and sports games, the PS2 is worthless when PS3 versions of all 3 are available and better than the previous releases.

[quote name='Kerig']From what I've heard, the PS3's that are BC don't play the PS2 games very well anyhow. (did Sony ever fix this?)[/quote]Uh, the 60GB/20GB have perfect emulation, and virtual memory cards/upscaling make it better than having an actual PS2. From what I've heard, the 80GB PS3 has seen nothing but improvements, with many games deemed unplayable by Sony ending up working perfect after firmware updates.

[quote name='Kerig']From what I've heard, the PS3's that are BC don't play the PS2 games very well anyhow. (did Sony ever fix this?)

If OP doesn't have any PS2 games that he plays, there's really no point in keeping it. If he only wants GTA, Dynasty (Warriors?), and sports games, the PS2 is worthless when PS3 versions of all 3 are available and better than the previous releases.[/quote]

The GTA game(GTAIV) that's on the PS3 is only better in visuals, if you ask me. I bought it from day one, since I enjoyed the other ones, but the driving controls take a while to get used to and I STILL find myself spinning out at times while trying to drift around a corner.

The shooting controls WHILE driving are downright horrendous though, since you have to physically aim the targeting reticule while trying to steer the car AND remember to properly brake and apply gas. That right there was/is a MAJOR pain in the ass.

I regularly get my ass handed to me in deathmatch modes online because of that new system they came up with.

The music in it is also severely lacking from the prior two regular GTA game installments(Vice City, San Andreas). While the inclusion of Queen and Smashing Pumpkins and some of the classic rock were good things, the majority of the rest of the music was pretty asstastic this time around.

If not for it getting such a ridiculously low value and if not for playing against other CAG's online in Team Deathmatch and other modes still, I would probably dump my copy now.

bread's done
Back