Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

Xbox 360 Xbox 360 Install Size Install Size Loading Times

1477 replies to this topic

#61 RamHawk

RamHawk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

Request a free transfer kit from microsoft. Or borrow one from someone on here. I got a 60GB for 64.xx on ebay new

OT: The problem is that the software may not work for certain drive sizes. The retail software from my 120 drive wouldn't work for someone who tried to do their 20 to 20 drive transfer. They would have had to but the correct software for $30.

#62 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:22 PM

Far Cry 2 : 4.5GB

Longest load times of any 360 game I have played.
I don't care though, it's an open world game.
Once you start playing, no load times.
Awesome graphics and gunfights.

So if DVD-5 (single-layer) is 4.7GB and DVD-9 (dual-layer) is 8.5GB.

Why is the maximum size apparently 6.8GB ?

#63 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

Damn seems like near 7 gigs seems to be the majority. Looks like MS is going to have to start offering 500gig HDs very soon. Also, RPGS have pretty bad load times. Sucks for the multi-disc ones... I wonder about Eternal Sonata and Infinite Undiscovery.

Crackdown...........................[Not Supported] <--- Why not?

#64 JP

JP

Proud member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

Definitely odd that Crackdown wouldn't work. That is one of my more favorite games too.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#65 HotShotX

HotShotX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

Definitely odd that Crackdown wouldn't work. That is one of my more favorite games too.

I'm suspicious that this has something to do with verification for the Halo 3 Beta. However, I have no evidence to back up my accusation.

~HotShotX
[chipinsig]dc7c442c9bf5c573[/chipinsig]

#66 KueMan10

KueMan10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:16 AM

Here are some that I installed:

Infinite Undiscovery- 12.5gb (d1- 6.0, d2- 6.5)
Lost Odyssey- 23.2gb (d1- 5.8, d2- 5.2, d3- 6.3, d4-6.2)

Sorry, I don't know how the game behaves when you need to switch discs. But I am sure you still have to switch them out.

#67 JP

JP

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

I've updated more from my post earlier. Buddy said he'd finish off the last 4 or so as soon as he can.

all-banner.jpg

#68 Ziv

Ziv

Jerk Extreme

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:15 AM

Thanks and props to y'all for feeding our curiosity.

#69 Chronotrigga

Chronotrigga

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:16 AM

Yes. I must now buy a bigger HD. Curse you NXE!

Posted Image

#70 JP

JP

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:23 AM

Finished the rest of the list I had. That's it from game collection for a while. I've done a self-imposed spending freeze on games so after Gears 2 on friday, the only new game I'm getting is Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon.

all-banner.jpg

#71 Kaijufan

Kaijufan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:06 AM

I believe Microsoft reserves part of the DVD for things like system updates and parts of the operating system.
Posted Image

#72 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:32 AM

Copy Protection microsoft cooked up. Wii games can go up to 8.5 gigs, but no 360 game can go over 6.8 gigs. PS3 games can use an entire BD25 or BD50.

#73 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:15 AM

looks like I may finally go get a larger drive... my HDD is filling up and I have less than 6.5 gigs available... hmm... that or I delete alot on my thing... it's mostly XBLA games though... damn 20 gig.

#74 greyzieoriental

greyzieoriental

is your Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:16 AM

nice thread

#75 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:26 AM

Hey this is my first time being back online in a few days, I was moving. [-(

Me too! Posted Image

The average size seems to be around 6.5 GBs. I have a 120 GB HDD and even I'm concerned about HDD space. :cold:

#76 sj41

sj41

That's Bitchin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:55 AM

If I can't get the last 120 GB HDD that's on clearance at my Target for under $80, I'm just going to delete a lot of shit off my 20 GB drive to barely squeeze Gears 2 onto it. I really want to do it for The Orange Box, Fable 2, Halo 3, Madden, Oblivion, GTA 4 and Rock Band 2 also, though.

#77 Chronotrigga

Chronotrigga

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:03 AM

I think 60GB is really all I need. The most I'll play is like 7 games at top daily. It's very doubtful that I'd want to try to squeeze every game I own into my hard drive. There are some games that I really don't care if it's installed or not. Yes, it's great if the disc drive runs softer and load times are faster, but if it's a game like Crackdown where I just want to pretty much fool around, I'd rather play it straight up than waste 5+ GB installing it. For me, I don't play more than like 7 games daily. Whenever I get on my 360, I really only play like 3 games or games that I'm devoted to playing for that time (for example Fable 2 if I get it). When I'm finished with the game, then delete! :D

6 Games
7GB Each
= 42 GB

Leaves 18GB free -- almost a 20GB HD! 6 Games available for me to install on a daily basis is awesome.

Posted Image

#78 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:12 AM

This'll be useful for making sure those "priced as new but clerk tested" games work fully before exchange periods expire if you don't plan on thoroughly playing the game immediately.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#79 dabebop

dabebop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:39 AM

I think 60GB is really all I need. The most I'll play is like 7 games at top daily. It's very doubtful that I'd want to try to squeeze every game I own into my hard drive. There are some games that I really don't care if it's installed or not. Yes, it's great if the disc drive runs softer and load times are faster, but if it's a game like Crackdown where I just want to pretty much fool around, I'd rather play it straight up than waste 5+ GB installing it. For me, I don't play more than like 7 games daily. Whenever I get on my 360, I really only play like 3 games or games that I'm devoted to playing for that time (for example Fable 2 if I get it). When I'm finished with the game, then delete! :D

6 Games
7GB Each
= 42 GB

Leaves 18GB free -- almost a 20GB HD! 6 Games available for me to install on a daily basis is awesome.

Actually you have to take in account that like 5 or 6 gbs of that is reserved to the xbox OS, and what not. Like 20gb isn't 20 when you get it but just really 14 or almost after you get rid of those demos, and videos on it.

#80 von551

von551

Place Is Dead Anyways...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:44 AM

OUCH! 5-6GB just to save a few seconds? who's got the space for that BS? Pass...
Posted Image

#81 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:15 AM

OUCH! 5-6GB just to save a few seconds? who's got the space for that BS? Pass...

I you knew anything you would know that the game installs cut down on load times, AS WELL AS noise from the DVD drive spinning and more importantly, abuse to your DVD drive.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#82 captmurphy

captmurphy

Certified Artificial

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:26 AM

Somebody out there has to have Guitar Hero III....
Posted Image

#83 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:27 AM

Noise reduction and preventing the DVD drive from killing itself are my main reasons for using the Game Install feature.

I can hardly wait until my 360 stops whining. :bouncy:

#84 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:30 AM

Dead Rising will seem like an entirely new game with it being so quiet

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#85 dabebop

dabebop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:36 AM

I you knew anything you would know that the game installs cut down on load times, AS WELL AS noise from the DVD drive spinning and more importantly, abuse to your DVD drive.

I would say that would also not abuse the gpu and cpu which is the main factor for these red rings I take it ?

#86 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:41 AM

I would say that would also not abuse the gpu and cpu which is the main factor for these red rings I take it ?

Yes...because as we all know the DVD drive generates A LOT of heat. So with that no longer creating a lot of heat, the GPU should be able to operate under cooler conditions.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#87 cyberduelist2

cyberduelist2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:50 AM

darn, i was hoping to install halo 3 or gears of war 2, but i didn't think it would be 6 gigs big. i only have like 4 gigs left.
Posted Image

#88 Cleaner7

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:13 AM

Has anyone tried installing Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged Vol. 1? I'm curious if it basically works like all your other XBLA games when you install it to the HD. This is different than the Xbox Live Arcade Compilation disc that was included with Arcade consoles and that's already listed. I have the game, but I'm not in the NXE beta.

And thanks for this thread. It is very helpful since I plan on upgrading to a 120 GB HD during the holidays.

#89 Bretts31344

Bretts31344

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

People don't understand how useful this is. Most DVD drives in 360 are crappy quality, so less use equals a longer life. So you have less noise, less "wear and tear" on the DVD drive, faster load times, and problems like cutscenes skipping and texture popping almost completely eliminated in most games. All for only a little HD space. Delete it once your done, and install another game. It really isn't that complicated.

#90 JP

JP

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

Don't forget that the less the DVD drive is used the less heat the console will generate.

all-banner.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Xbox 360, Xbox 360 Install Size, Install Size, Loading Times