Toys R Us: Playstation 3 40 GB - $299.99

VashandWolfwood

CAGiversary!
Both versions of the 40 GB(Spiderman 3 BR bundle & vanilla) were price dropped to 299.99 today. Didn't see an expiration date on the signs, so I'm assuming that this is a deal that runs until the systems are OOS. Appears to be just in-store, as I can't even find either 40 on the TRU site. The 80 is still 399.99 though.

[quote name='lolmister']I'd like to get some confirmation on this. That'd be a pretty cool deal.[/quote]

Yeah, its true. I did the price change this morning.

Just came from there, Spider Man bundle at $300. Picked up Puzzle Quest for the DS for $12 from their door buster sale :) Anyways, $300 is such a tempting deal- I feel too paranoid using my discontinued 80GB :( This deal is right in line or better with how good a price the 360 Arcade is. Their extended warranty doesn't look too appealing though, but I guess PS3s have a very good failure rate.

Oh this is tempting, I wanted to buy my dad a Blu Ray player to go with his new TV and having the ability to play PS3 games would be great as well even though we already have a 20GB PS3.

Sure their is. Your paying 400 at walmart for 40moregigs and 100dollar gift card.
toys r us. 300 out the door.

Pretty good deal.

I need a bestbuy deal for a PS3 to get rid of my giftcards.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']Sure their is. Your paying 400 at walmart for 40moregigs and 100dollar gift card.

Pretty good deal.

I need a bestbuy deal for a PS3 to get rid of my giftcards.[/quote]
Agreed - I think this is a better deal than WM. You don't have to pay tax on the extra $100, plus you are not forced to buy a $100 gift card. I could take that extra $100 and buy a 320 MB hard drive and have some money left over.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']Sure their is. Your paying 400 at walmart for 40moregigs and 100dollar gift card.

Pretty good deal.

I need a bestbuy deal for a PS3 to get rid of my giftcards.[/quote]
Best Buy price matches deals involving gift cards.

I'd go for this, but $300 is still too expensive for a system in which the only game I truly want to play is MGS4, and I already played that.

[quote name='no_exit']Agreed - I think this is a better deal than WM. You don't have to pay tax on the extra $100, plus you are not forced to buy a $100 gift card. I could take that extra $100 and buy a 320 MB hard drive and have some money left over.[/quote]

I thought you didn't have to pay tax on gift cards. But I still agree, I would rather get the Toys R Us deal, I still have my GC left over from my MGS4 PS3 when it launched. Downside though is getting a six axis instead of a DS3 but then you get the Spider Man movie but that doesn't do much for me. Also, the boxes were in kind of rough shape at my TRU and their extended warranty isn't as long as Walmart's.

[quote name='Needles-Kane']I thought you didn't have to pay tax on gift cards. But I still agree, I would rather get the Toys R Us deal, I still have my GC left over from my MGS4 PS3 when it launched. Downside though is getting a six axis instead of a DS3 but then you get the Spider Man movie but that doesn't do much for me. Also, the boxes were in kind of rough shape at my TRU and their extended warranty isn't as long as Walmart's.[/QUOTE]

Since the gift card is free, you are paying tax on the $399

Wal-mart (yuck) is giving a $100 gift card with purchase of a $399.99 80gb PS3. But then again, maybe you want to upgrade your hard drive past 80 anyway.

And there's the $150 credit back thing at Sony Style (so it would be more like $249.99), unless it's dead.

[quote name='Needles-Kane']I thought you didn't have to pay tax on gift cards. But I still agree, I would rather get the Toys R Us deal, I still have my GC left over from my MGS4 PS3 when it launched. Downside though is getting a six axis instead of a DS3 but then you get the Spider Man movie but that doesn't do much for me. Also, the boxes were in kind of rough shape at my TRU and their extended warranty isn't as long as Walmart's.[/quote]

He meant that the tax is from the difference between the two prices ($400 from Walmart, $300 from Toys R Us).

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Wal-mart (yuck) is giving a $100 gift card with purchase of a $399.99 80gb PS3. But then again, maybe you want to upgrade your hard drive past 80 anyway.

And there's the $150 credit back thing at Sony Style (so it would be more like $249.99), unless it's dead.[/quote]
What happens to the PS3's HDD when people upgrade theirs, like can you sell the PS3's HDD?

[quote name='Needles-Kane']I thought you didn't have to pay tax on gift cards. But I still agree, I would rather get the Toys R Us deal, I still have my GC left over from my MGS4 PS3 when it launched. Downside though is getting a six axis instead of a DS3 but then you get the Spider Man movie but that doesn't do much for me. Also, the boxes were in kind of rough shape at my TRU and their extended warranty isn't as long as Walmart's.[/QUOTE]

Actually i think you're being double taxed by doing this. If the Ps3 is $399 with a free $100 gift card then your paying tax on the $299-399 and when you buy something else with the $100 gift card they will include taxes on it as well. (However, if they do mark $100 off and charge you for the gift card instead then your just being taxed once, which still sucks but isnt bad)

About the tax thing. I thought they dropped the price of the PS3 by $100 (with promotion indicators so you couldn't return the card) and added a $100 GC (which aren't taxed for sure). But I just pulled out my file for my 80GB MGS4 bundle with the $100 giftcard and the system was $499 with an added $100 GC and a promotion subtraction on the GC so I got the full tax on the $499 and no tax on the GC of course.

So you guys are right, you would have paid extra tax on the WM deal. Now, do you pay taxes on the stuff you buy with a GC? I'll have to pay attention to that some day. Like if you bought a $10 game with a $10 GC, would you have to spend extra on the tax? I remember at GS there were 2 different cards, gift and store credit, and one was not taxed.

great deal, but i bit at the 15% dell coupon thread on the 80gb instead of wasting gas driving around to both my Toys'R'Us that are in totally opposite sides of town hoping to find a 40gb.

[quote name='J7.']What happens to the PS3's HDD when people upgrade theirs, like can you sell the PS3's HDD?[/quote]

Yep. It's just a standard 2.5" drive. Of course, I don't know if anyone would be interested in a drive that small. If I ever get around to upgrading mine, I will probably just buy a cheap enclosure and make a back-up external HDD out of it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yep. It's just a standard 2.5" drive. Of course, I don't know if anyone would be interested in a drive that small. If I ever get around to upgrading mine, I will probably just buy a cheap enclosure and make a back-up external HDD out of it.[/quote]
It'd be cool to see someone post pictures of making their PS3's HDD into a back up external HDD. I have never heard anything before about what people do with their PS3 HDD after upgrading.

[quote name='J7.']It'd be cool to see someone post pictures of making their PS3's HDD into a back up external HDD. I have never heard anything before about what people do with their PS3 HDD after upgrading.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing special about it, just a hard drive enclosure case.

Toys R Us has a far, far better deal on the PS3 right now than Wal Mart, and let me tell you why.

Before the price drop, there was a bundle for the 40gb PS3 you could get for 349.99, which included the 40gb unit (with or without Spiderman 3), Sonic The Hedgehog, a two cradle charge kit, and a choice of a Blu Ray movie (any of Pirates of the Carribean films, Wild Hogs, Ratatooie and maybe one or two other movies I can't recall). I was in with a friend tonight, and the sign was still up, so I told him to go for it as it was still a pretty decent deal.

The end result? a 40GB PS3 with Spiderman 3, Sonic The Hedgehog, Wild Hogs, and the charge cradle came out to $315 with tax. That's right- all that stuff was FREE. I don't have his reciept to scan it for you, but I assure you this is definately real. If anyone can find all those things in their TRU, I strongly suggest you try this before they catch on.

[quote name='n2Deepeth']I'd go for this, but $300 is still too expensive for a system in which the only game I truly want to play is MGS4, and I already played that.[/quote] sub LBP for MGS4 and thats what I was thinking :p

[quote name='txl7831']Maybe a stupid question, but is it Backwards compatible with ps2 games?[/QUOTE] It is a great question because the whole class wants to know the answer! IE me!

[quote name='indysurfn']It is a great question because the whole class wants to know the answer! IE me![/quote]

No, it is a stupid question because EVERYBODY should know that NO 40GB PS3 SKU has EVER been backwards compatible. :drool:

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']sub LBP for MGS4 and thats what I was thinking :p[/QUOTE]

sub GT5 for LBP and that's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the post op! I'll check out my TRU later today.

[quote name='62t']There is nothing special about it, just a hard drive enclosure case.[/quote]

Yeah. Once you take it out of the PS3, it's just a standard 2.5" drive. You just buy an enclosure from Newegg, ZZF, or the such, and then you just follow the directions that come with the enclosure.

[quote name='Knoxximus']No, it is a stupid question because EVERYBODY should know that NO 40GB PS3 SKU has EVER been backwards compatible. :drool:[/quote]

Knoxximus,

Your the one that looks stupid because it should be NEVER been backwards compatible.:imwithst:

[quote name='Boltbacker']Knoxximus,

Your the one that looks stupid because it should be NEVER been backwards compatible.:imwithst:[/quote]
Wouldn't that be a double negative? :applause:

oh, and you're = you are

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah. Once you take it out of the PS3, it's just a standard 2.5" drive. You just buy an enclosure from Newegg, ZZF, or the such, and then you just follow the directions that come with the enclosure.[/quote]
How much are enclosures?

Whats included in these bundles? Spiderman3 blu-ray and a controller? Anything good in the other? Probably going to stop by my TRU tomorrow to scope things out.

[quote name='Needles-Kane']Just came from there, Spider Man bundle at $300. Picked up Puzzle Quest for the DS for $12 from their door buster sale :) Anyways, $300 is such a tempting deal- I feel too paranoid using my discontinued 80GB :( This deal is right in line or better with how good a price the 360 Arcade is. Their extended warranty doesn't look too appealing though, but I guess PS3s have a very good failure rate.[/QUOTE]
Ha ha ha, I preordered the Metal Gear limited edition from Amazon because I did not want to use my 60Gb PS3, now I might have to get this to avoid causing wear and tare to my MGS PS3. With my horrible shopping habits I will single handedly save the economy. (I need help)

[quote name='meta460085']Ha ha ha, I preordered the Metal Gear limited edition from Amazon because I did not want to use my 60Gb PS3, now I might have to get this to avoid causing wear and tare to my MGS PS3. With my horrible shopping habits I will single handedly save the economy. (I need help)[/quote]

you guys are worrying about breaking your systems? im trying to get ahold of a 60gb ps3 and wondered if sony would repair it at my cost of course(which is fine)

[quote name='meta460085']Ha ha ha, I preordered the Metal Gear limited edition from Amazon because I did not want to use my 60Gb PS3, now I might have to get this to avoid causing wear and tare to my MGS PS3. With my horrible shopping habits I will single handedly save the economy. (I need help)[/quote]

LOL, I have a sealed 60GB sitting in my basement too. When someone posted the gunmetal 40GB for $400 I almost bit but then realized it would probably be sitting right next to my 60GB and 80GB which would be ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if sony cuts the PS1 BC and then I wouldn't use a plain 40GB :drool:

bread's done
Back