Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - Gen. Discussion & Info

Lord_Kefka

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Newest Update: Unlockable games announced!
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/01/22...w-screenshots/

Golden Axe Warrior (SEGA Master System)
Phantasy Star (SEGA Master System)
Alien Syndrome (Arcade)
Altered Beast (Arcade)
Congo Bongo (Arcade)
Fantasy Zone (Arcade)
Shinobi (Arcade)
Space Harrier (Arcade)
Zaxxon (Arcade)

UPDATE:
Gamestop has pre-orders up for 360 and PS3 versions. Estimated release is Feb 10th of 2009. Price is 29.99

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72742

PS3
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72743

EDIT: Official Sega Announcement Page (with price!!)
http://www.sega.com/games/?g=592

THE LARGEST SEGA GENESIS COLLECTION TO DATE!

Take a trip back in time with over 40 titles from the SEGA Genesis™ era, including your Sonic The Hedgehog favorites, for only $29.95! In classic single-player and multiplayer battles, you’ll take down a huge variety of enemies, including Sonic’s nemesis Dr. Eggman (AKA Dr. Robotnik), shuriken-flinging ninjas, hordes of altered beasts and the world’s greatest fighting champions.

FEATURES:

• THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF CLASSIC SEGA TITLES. All the favorites are here including Sonic The Hedgehog, titles from the Phantasy Star™ series, as well as three titles from the Streets of Rage™ series, to name a few.

• UNLOCKABLE CONTENT. Unlock arcade games and interviews with the original game developers as you earn Achievements on the Xbox 360® and Trophies on the PLAYSTATION®3.

• ALL TITLES UPGRADED TO HI-DEF. The classic 2D style never looked so good! Each of the titles has been converted to hi-def (720p) and will be a blast to play using the intuitive controls of the Xbox 360® and PLAYSTATION®3 systems.

• MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER OPTIONS. Play these classics together with a friend from the same console at home.

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco II: The Tides of Time
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe I
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2"

Achievement List: Credit goes to x360a.com

Sonic's Ultimate Game Collection - Achievement List
There are 34 achievements with a total of 1000 points.

Get Rich (25 points)
Alex Kidd: Collect 1,000 in currency

Don't Die (25 points)
Alien Storm: Reach Mission 3 without losing a life

Enter the Beast (10 points)
Altered Beast: Collect 100,000 pts or higher by the end of the first level

Holy Water (20 points)
Beyond Oasis: Unlock the Water Spirit

Stealing Points (20 points)
Bonanza Brothers: Reach 40,000 points on the first level

Easy as Pie (15 points)
Columns: Get 20,000 points only on Easy Mode

Hardly a Hero (20 points)
Comix Zone: Complete first episode

Get Ahead (30 points)
Decap Attack: Collect 5 Bonus Coins

Communication is Key (10 points)
Ecco: Talk to another dolphin

Taste Like Tuna (20 points)
Ecco: The Tides of Time: Eat 200 fish

Suit up (30 points)
E-SWAT: Obtain the Combat Suit (Complete Mission 2)

Don't Get Lost (30 points)
Fatal Labyrinth: Progress to the fifth level of the labyrinth

Getting Chicks (25 points)
Flicky: Collect 80,000 points

Garden Gnomes (20 points)
Golden Axe: Collect 20 magic power-ups

Tower Up (35 points)
Golden Axe II: Complete Tower Level

Saved by Magic (20 points)
Golden Axe III: Use magic 10 times

TGIF (35 points)
Kid Chameleon: Collect Maniaxe

Twinkle Twinkle (30 points)
Ristar: Collect 5 Yellow Stars

Yatta! (50 points)
Dr. Robotnik's M.B.M.: Complete the game

True Ninja Skills (30 points)
Shinobi III: Complete first level without using continues

Complete Chaos (30 points)
Sonic The Hedgehog: Obtain a Chaos Emerald

A Different Tail (35 points)
Sonic 3: Collect 100 rings with Tails anywhere on Angel Island Zone

Flicky to the Rescue (15 points)
Sonic 3D Blast: Rescue 20 Flickies.

Lots of Zeros (30 points)
Sonic Spinball: Get 10,000,000 points in the first level

Get to the Chopper (15 points)
Super Thunder Blade: Score over 1,500,000 points in the first level

Three Times a Charm (20 points)
Streets of Rage: Complete 1st Level using all 3 characters

Good Day Mate (15 points)
Streets of Rage 3: Unlock Roo the Kangaroo as a playable character

Super Charged (45 points)
VectorMan: Collect 500 photons

Can You Dig It? (45 points)
VectorMan 2: Reach Scene 11

Blast Processing (50 points)
Play all Genesis™ Titles

Master the System (50 points)
Unlock Everything

No Life (50 points)
Watch Every Video

Critique (50 points)
View all Artwork

Only in the '80s (50 points)
Play all Arcade Titles

EDIT: The PS3 trophy list looks to be the same benchmarks, just substitute in the trophy levels for the point levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Kotaku mentioned it was priced at either $29 or $39. If that's the case, I'm very interested - and it's a big screw you to the Virtual Console where those games are 800 points each.

Updating my links in the OP. You were right JJSP, it's looking like $30! Which is a great number in my opinion. I wanted to update last night but was having issues, oh well. New links here and up top.

Official Sega Announcement Page (with price!!)
http://www.sega.com/games/?g=592

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/11/sega-reveals-hu.html

Personally I was thinking they would try for 40 or 50 and I would have to pass. But for $30 I'm totally in; I want to play Shining Force again!

Oh, and there's more games to be announced as unlockables! They've made mention of these likely being Master System games, so cross your fingers for Phantasy Star I to complete the I-IV run on one disc.

[quote name='spidey35']This always kills me, they never want to include the best sonic game ever.....sonic cd[/quote]

yeah i wish they would include that too, but technically it's not genesis

I never saw what was so great about Sonic CD... S3&K is still the best to me.

Anyways, S3&K with achievements (hopefully) will be godly to me, I can't wait for that game alone on the 360.

The collection is awesome though, sucks that I bought all of the classic Sega games on the XBLA though...

[quote name='specialk']Any news on online play?[/QUOTE]

No, according to the Sega site:

"MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER OPTIONS. Play these classics together with a friend from the same console at home." Right now it looks like local....I hope this changes

To me, having this, unlockable games, achievements and the games polished for HD makes it worth it. I don't have the PSP one, so it's a no-brainer. Might be tough to double-dip if you already have it. But for $10 more than the PSP right now (that one launched for $30 too, so I'm guessing this will drop over a short amount of time) I'm in for 1.

Most of these games were already released for the PS2 in a Genesis collection, aside from the shining forces games, dynamite headdy, and the 3 streets of rage, you can get the rest on one disk already.

Unique to this collection (not on the PS2/PSP title):

Alien Storm
Beyond Oasis
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Dynamite Headdy
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3

Games from the Sega Genesis Collection not on this one:
Ecco Jr.
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Sword of Vermillion
Virtua Fighter 2

Just for those keeping score.

Altered Beast, Comix Zone, Kid Chameleon, Shining Force, Sonic and Knuckles, and Vectorman.

My panties are moist with excitement.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Good package. If it's going to have Master System games, where the hell is the first Phantasy Star?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mykevermin']Unique to this collection (not on the PS2/PSP title):

Alien Storm
Beyond Oasis
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Dynamite Headdy
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3

Games from the Sega Genesis Collection not on this one:
Ecco Jr.
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Sword of Vermillion
Virtua Fighter 2

Just for those keeping score.[/QUOTE]

Nice list keeping Myke. Thanks!

FOS - According to one of the pages, the Master System games are the unlockables so we should see at least a couple more games on this list. Sega site is teasing them as to be revealed soon. So I'm hoping we get Phantasy Star I and a few other games in there.

The release date is listed as Winter 2009 officially. Gametrailers.com has the debut trailer and a release date of Feb 20th 2009. I have never kept track, but are they fairly reliable when it comes to anticipated street dates and such? Or do they pull them out of their ass?

Thanks for the list Myke. I'll definately be making the upgrade if only for Shining Force 2, Beyond Oasis, and the Streets of Rage games.

I've said it several times before. I hope one of the unlockable games is the arcade version of Golden Axe 2. Such a forgotten gem, so much fun with multiple people.

[quote name='robpe36']hmm this looks pretty complete except where the hell is gunstar heroes?[/quote]

Amen.. also, where the hell is Landstalker?

[quote name='Malik112099']where's Virtua Racing!?!?![/QUOTE]

It's probably were it's a 32X game and not a original Genesis and Master System game.

Virtua Fighter is a 32X game and not included but Virtua Fighter 2 was on Genesis if I'm not mistaken.

There are some great classics in that list.

I greatly prefer the PS3's controller, so hopefully the PS3 version will allow a full install, or maybe they could just throw the whole compilation up on the PSN as a downloadable purchase.

After all, it would be strange to keep the disc spinning for such tiny games.

[quote name='Chase']Altered Beast, Comix Zone, Kid Chameleon, Shining Force, Sonic and Knuckles, and Vectorman.

My panties are moist with excitement.
[/quote]

i second that. 100% chance of torrential downpours in pantyville sometime in 2009.

Yeah, that thing retailed for $100 too.

I'm guessing Revenge of Shinobi has license issues that prevents it from being on here and I'm sure somehow Sega will include (an an unlockable) Virtua Fighter 2 on Genesis for some unknown reason.

I have the PS2 version, but will get this for the Shining Force, Streets of Rage, and extra Sonic games, among others. I've been eying Shining Force 2 on the Wii, so I might as well get a little more for $22.

I was reading the press release and it does say there will be unlockable arcade games. Maybe that will include Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing?

Either way, this is a tough collection to turn down for the price.

It'd be awesome to have arcade perfect ports of some of the early Model 1 games. They might not play perfectly anymore but come on, who wasn't blown the fuck away they first time they saw Virtua Racing in the arcade? I sure was. Same story with Wing War.

Some games I would like to see are missing I assume this due to licensing rights..... Either way $30 for all those games is a steal I will be pre-ordering this.

There's a PSN logo on the PS3 box. Error, or will we be able to play these dudes online?

[quote name='Goodeye']Some games I would like to see are missing I assume this due to licensing rights..... Either way $30 for all those games is a steal I will be pre-ordering this.[/QUOTE]

X-Men for one. I really dug the first Genesis title.

[quote name='mykevermin']There's a PSN logo on the PS3 box. Error, or will we be able to play these dudes online?
[/QUOTE]

Its probably more along the lines of leaderboards though online multiplayer would be pretty fucking sweet

I won't pre-order unless there is a sweet freebie but I'll be picking this up on the first week

I hope the way to unlock games isn't crap. The way unlock the games on the Sonic Collections was just stupid. I don't want to have to play through a game I don't like just to unlock a game I do want to play.

At the very least, I will be renting this one. I have the PS2 collection, but the extra games and achievements will be nice. Going back and playing these great titles from my youth is always a good time, especially considering I never owned a Genesis and only got to play these at other people's houses.

No Space Harrier on the official list? No purchase by me.

Maybe the'll make it an unlockable, but if there isnt a code and I have to slough through some game I dont care about to play it PASS!

bread's done
Back