Most Over Rated Game of All Time

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonGeist

CrimsonGeist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:57 AM

What do you think is the most over rated game of all time? IMO, GTA:SA is one of them.(Don't really know whats the most over rated.) I died twice because these trees materialized out of nowhere and I crashed my plane into them. Graphics deserved a 6! And a game with a graphics of 6 can't get a 9.6! Maybe 9.2 though :lol: . But don't get me wrong I love the game. Halo is another nominee. Great game but repetitive level design. Maybe I feel that way because when my pc messed up, I had to play that horrid Library level again on legendary!
"Cheese's crust, I'm hungry!" SNL's Donald Trump

#2 -Never4ever-

-Never4ever-

That Guy.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:56 AM

HaLO2 GtA:SA DS everything NGC, Basically everygame that ever got more than one preview. That's what you want to here, and that's what your going to here, becaus e most people nowadays have nothing better to do thatn bitch :P

I pray that a mod closes this flame bait before it escalates any further. This was a stupid idea and the OP needs to be eviserated.

#3 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:59 AM

Soul Calibur 2. If you can remember the hype. I said two weeks after the game came out, no one would be talking about it. Everyone laughed at me. I was right.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 The Successful Dropout

The Successful Dropout

eye we tall did

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:00 AM

HaLO2 GtA:SA DS everything NGC, Basically everygame that ever got more than one preview. That's what you want to here, and that's what your going to here, becaus e most people nowadays have nothing better to do thatn bitch :P

I pray that a mod closes this flame bait before it escalates any further. This was a stupid idea and the OP needs to be eviserated.

:ziplip:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Final Fantasy VII. Nothing can live up to the hype it was given.

#6 zewone

zewone

Thursday

• CAGiversary!

Half Life 2.

#7 The Successful Dropout

The Successful Dropout

eye we tall did

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:03 AM

IMO, Splinter Cell
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 AdamInPlaidum

AdamInPlaidum

Wii will rock you.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:05 AM

Metal Gear Solid. I say this from playing Twin Snakes on Gamecube, so maybe that game just didn't capture whatever makes MGS good, but I just really don't like the game very much.
Currently playing: Viewtiful Joe (DS), Trace Memory (DS), Pokemon Emerald (GBA), Astro Boy (GBA)

#9 zionoverfire

zionoverfire

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:07 AM

Halo 2 as far as hype

but since I monstly play RPGs for most over rated I'm going with Xenogears with Valkyrie Profile running a very close second.

Also GTA SA wasn't over rated except by idiots who seemed to thing it would be somehow different from the 2 previous games and gamming magazines that rate everything popular to high.

#10 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:09 AM

This is going to get ugly.

#11 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:09 AM

Metal Gear Solid. I say this from playing Twin Snakes on Gamecube, so maybe that game just didn't capture whatever makes MGS good, but I just really don't like the game very much.

don't say anything bad about the game until you cock punch a guard with your stealth camo on

and if we are looking at this generation I would say PoP:SOT and Freedom Fighters. Both games get really boring and really repetitive, really fast. I got about 80 percent through PoP and more than halfway through FF before putting them down

And Although I have not played it, Halo 2 is def. on my list. That game was so overhyped no way it could match the hype. When every thread on the front page of the Xbox board is a Halo 2 topic, and you get flamed for trying to clean up the board because there are other games coming out besides Halo, you kind of hate the game

Posted Image

#12 blueweltall

blueweltall

Kill the Batman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:14 AM

The orginal was better on the psone. The gamecube version is to easy with the added first person aiming.

#13 AdamInPlaidum

AdamInPlaidum

Wii will rock you.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:21 AM

don't say anything bad about the game until you cock punch a guard with your stealth camo on

and if we are looking at this generation I would say PoP:SOT and Freedom Fighters. Both games get really boring and really repetitive, really fast. I got about 80 percent through PoP and more than halfway through FF before putting them down

And Although I have not played it, Halo 2 is def. on my list. That game was so overhyped no way it could match the hype. When every thread on the front page of the Xbox board is a Halo 2 topic, and you get flamed for trying to clean up the board because there are other games coming out besides Halo, you kind of hate the game

Cock punch!? Maybe I should play a little more.
Currently playing: Viewtiful Joe (DS), Trace Memory (DS), Pokemon Emerald (GBA), Astro Boy (GBA)

#14 RaekwonThaChef

RaekwonThaChef

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:25 AM

Both Halos. I also agree with Soul Cali 2. Most media unanimously declared it the greatest fighting, or at least 3d fighting game of all time. IMO, Virtua Fighter 4 is light years ahead of it in terms of depth. So much better of a fighting game all around. And I just got bored with SC2 after a while. There's been tons of over-rated games throughout the ages, but I'd have to say Halo takes the cake, with Halo 1 a close second.
Posted Image

#15 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:26 AM

Easily H2, best game ever my ass I felt like beating anyone that said that with a baseball bat (which was a lot of people I would have been busy for a looong time) followed by GTA (VC and SA) and SCII (not close to best fighting game). Then we cant forget Fable too.....wow so many overrated games

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#16 PawnTakesKing

PawnTakesKing

The Analytical Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:29 AM

Fable. Fable. Fable.

I was expecting an Elder Scrolls-esque, free-roaming RPG, and I got a steaming pile of dung. Most. Overhyped. Ever.

#17 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:41 AM

This went from most overrated game to an issue of most overhyped pretty quickly, am I the only one that doesnt really think they are the same thing?

#18 msdmoney

msdmoney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:42 AM

For just shear overated, Halo 2 (and Halo 1 for that matter). It's just a standard FPS and very repetitive, yet got near perfect reviews. I would say Chronicles of Riddick had a better single person adventure, much more variety. I am not saying Halo 1 or 2 are bad games, they are good, but not great games.

FFVII which was more of a movie than a game.

Tomb Raider with it's awkward clunky controls

We must have one of these topics every month, so let this one go down in flames like the rest.

#19 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:46 AM

Anything with the words "Final Fantasy," "Grand Theft Auto," or "Resident Evil" in their titles.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#20 Rihan

Rihan

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:48 AM

Halo, pure and simple.

#21 MorbidAngel4Life

MorbidAngel4Life

Down with the Clown.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:50 AM

Anything with the words "Final Fantasy," "Grand Theft Auto," or "Resident Evil" in their titles.

GRRRRRRRRRR At FF.
Get free Microsoft Points, Amazon gift cards, and more on Points2Shop!
http://points2shop.c...banners/3270175

#22 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:56 AM

GRRRRRRRRRR At FF.

What he said except replace FF with RE.
Also WSB didn't seem to mention Halo....Hmm green avatar and not mentioning halo can only mean one thing His avatar is really the Mighty Morphing Master WSB :D

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#23 twiztidjester

twiztidjester

Custom This!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:00 AM

Fable, Halo 1/2, and Doom 3

Posted Image

#24 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:08 AM

Halo/Halo2, GTA3,4&5. And as much as I enjoy the game, I would have to agree with Soul Calibur II as well. Oh, and anything FFVII or beyond (although I haven't played FFCC, but it wasn't very highly rated either).

#25 brainstorm

brainstorm

My name is a misprint

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:10 AM

i might get flamed for this... but i thought metroid: prime was way overrated. i got it and it was cool for about 3 days, then it just got crappy, i hated the auto lock function it took away from the first person...

also mario kart: dd only because it was way too easy, i dont remember ever really losing a race... i was extremely disappointed with it

#26 Pylis

Pylis

Cheap Ass Super-Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:16 AM

Doom 3 was so disappointing to me, but at the same time I don't think all that many people liked it anyway, so maybe it doesn't count.

Final Fantasy 7 is my favorite FF, but everything after that sucks.

Resident Evil (with the exception of the incredible looking fourth installment) has never been appealing to me, either.
Posted Image

#27 capnharlock

capnharlock

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:19 AM

I was gonna say Halo, but then I thought about it more, and its context, and I think I get why Halo is so big, even though I'm not really into it. As a console title, I can see why it's a phenomenon.

Then I was gonna say GTA: SA, but again I think objectively it's a pretty amazing game with a lot going on. It just doesn't have quite the same impact for me because I played the previous two.

I think I'm gonna have to nominate FFVII. I just could not get past the primitive character art and animation, and some of the characterizations. The combat also left me wanting too. I like Wild Arms a lot more. It was more conventional and didn't have FFVII's ambition, but it clicked.

#28 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:25 AM

Personally, I would have to say:

Halo
Halo 2
And any and all Final Fantasies.

I believe all of these games were overrated...

#29 GenDV138

GenDV138

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:29 AM

Halo, Halo 2

#30 redgopher

redgopher

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:37 AM

Fable. Fable. Fable.

I was expecting an Elder Scrolls-esque, free-roaming RPG, and I got a steaming pile of dung. Most. Overhyped. Ever.

Agreed. I commonly refer to it as "Crapple."