Most Over Rated Game of All Time

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#31 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:53 AM

you should add a poll with the suggestions thus far.

#32 jimbodan

jimbodan

Hates you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:06 AM

Halo, it's just an average FPS. There are tons better on the PC.

Think you're good at Fantasy Sports? Check out Fanduel where you can play daily to win money on Fantasy Sports!

https://www.fanduel....jimbodan&cnl=da

fs_pc.png

#33 maddfrog

maddfrog

FANTASTIC!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:29 AM

I'm gonna go to what my friend stated was the downfall of Rare, Donkey Kong 64. Everyone was hyping up that game so much before it came out because of the DKC series. I still remember popping in the cartridge with my friend next to me and hearing the DK Rap for the first time. We sat there with our mouths wide open, not believing what we just heard.

Sure the hype has been bad on the games that were mentioned before, but DK 64 wasn't even that good of a gameplay experience, period.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 ViolentLee

ViolentLee

Still Man Fights

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:39 AM

People mentioning Fable have a good point. It didn't turn out near as good as I hoped, and I quickly forgot about it.

I'll say most Square games and Star Wars games are overrated. I'm not saying they're bad (I love KOTOR, FF VI/X, etc.), but some people give them an extra point or two (or more) just because of the fact that they're Square games or Star Wars games. Front Mission 4 is a good example -- I disliked it, but most reviewers scored it high.

Most overrated, in my opinion, is the Mario Party series. I absolutely hate those games and have no idea why anyone can have fun with them. Here's what I think, though, as always, it's just my opinion, and I know others disagree: http://www.gameinfor...760C349F47D.htm

mqqgUvv.jpg   ECqYO0a.jpg
My action/scifi novel, Still Man Fights, is available in paperback and e-book form at Amazon.com.

My new travelogue, Japan Chronicles: of Rock Gods and J-Pop Idols, is also on Amazon.com.

#35 onikage

onikage

鬼の影

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:55 AM

Threads like this aren't a great idea. :bomb:

But I must defend FF7, it was and is an amazing game. It's also deeper than most of you people give it credit for... [-X

#36 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:14 PM

Halo and Halo 2 are by far the most overrated games of all time. It is just another multiplayer FPS in the sea of FPS's - and on a console no less.

The second is the MGS series. Part 3 wasn't even a game it was a fucking cgi movie with 2 or 3 minutes of gameplay thrown in every so often. Nuff said.

And I want to say something about all the GTA haters. Do you realize that GTA is the only game on a console that is pioneering open-ended gameplay? No other game does that so that automatically makes this series unique and underrated. If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist, but a lot of gamers are too dumb to see that.

Gameplay is what makes a game worth playing - not story or graphics

MY SITE

#37 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:20 PM

Halo, it's just an average FPS. There are tons better on the PC.

When you say Halo, I'm guessing you mean the series. Yes, there are alot of better PC FPSs, but that's like comparing apples to oranges. When you compare Halo and Halo 2 to all other console FPSs, there is no comparison. Nothing is better.

#38 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:42 PM

People mentioning Fable have a good point. It didn't turn out near as good as I hoped, and I quickly forgot about it.

I'll say most Square games and Star Wars games are overrated. I'm not saying they're bad (I love KOTOR, FF VI/X, etc.), but some people give them an extra point or two (or more) just because of the fact that they're Square games or Star Wars games. Front Mission 4 is a good example -- I disliked it, but most reviewers scored it high.

Most overrated, in my opinion, is the Mario Party series. I absolutely hate those games and have no idea why anyone can have fun with them. Here's what I think, though, as always, it's just my opinion, and I know others disagree: http://www.gameinfor...760C349F47D.htm

Funny, I was thinking that the Donkey Kong Country series was one of the most overrated games I can remember.

It was a fun platformer, don't get me wrong. But because of the graphics technology used to develop the game, it was treated like the second coming of the messiah in previews; anything less than the most stellar platforming experience would have been a disappointment.

And it was a slightly above-average platformer.

Part of me also wants to nominate Killer Instinct.

myke.
Posted Image

#39 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:53 PM

And I want to say something about all the GTA haters. Do you realize that GTA is the only game on a console that is pioneering open-ended gameplay? No other game does that so that automatically makes this series unique and underrated. If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist, but a lot of gamers are too dumb to see that.

I couldn't agree more. :applause:

#40 jaso

jaso

Requiesce in pace

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:55 PM

Star Wars: KOTOR

#41 The Successful Dropout

The Successful Dropout

eye we tall did

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:58 PM

the most underated game of all time has got to be "hide and seek"

more adults should play this and i really don't understand why noone will play this with me ;o(
Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 jam3582

jam3582

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:01 PM

How bout the sims 1 and all those damn asspac.......errrr expansion packs god did that game bore me to death

Posted Image

I'll control + Alt + Delete you !!! WHAT !!!!

#43 oracrest

oracrest

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:07 PM

I'm curious as to whether you mean overrated by the publisher, or overrated by the fans, they are two different concepts. One comes from the amount of money that one can shovel into advertising, and the other driven from pure passion of the fans.

I can understand being pissed at a company that over advertises a product, and then fails to deliver (cough, halo 2, cough) but it's kind of stupid to argue over what games people like to play.

It's as dumb as the old what is better, star wars, or star trek, or trying to argue which superhero would win in a fight.....

Let's try to focus our angst at the companies that screw us out of $50 (or in ID's case, 55), and not tell someone else they suck because they loved a certain game.

And for the record, as an objective point, GTA is a revolutionary game, despite it's sophomoric content, and will go down in video game history as one of the most influential games of the decade. Might as well accept that.

#44 drsuper23

drsuper23

Been here a while

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:10 PM

Killzone to me is a very over rated game. Too much hype as a Halo killer and even though it's a good game, it's not better than Halo.
Posted Image

Posted Image
PS3 Trophies

For use of those who I trade with. My past trade rating.

#45 Vampire Hunter D

Vampire Hunter D

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:17 PM

I need time to think of most overrated but POP:SOT was really overated. It just got too repetitive i quit like hal;fway through. Yet it won a bunch of GOY awards. Now as for underrated Killzone was pretty underated. I thought it was excellent.
"Seems like they got a problem with heros around here.I saved the day Betty.I saved the day."-Tom Green

#46 bil4l

bil4l

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:22 PM

I don't think the first Halo was overrated, I don't remember much hype for it, it kind of just sneaked up on everyone. Halo 2 was probably the most hyped game of all time and while the online play is pretty damn good it's nowhere near as good as three years in devolopment should have made it.

#47 Mr Durand Pierre

Mr Durand Pierre

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:05 PM

Halo (haven't played the second one though).
"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."
"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss bank."
-Woody Allen

#48 opportunity777

opportunity777

Disco Fever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:06 PM

LoZ:WW

#49 soulwish2003

soulwish2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:11 PM

Final Fantasy VII. Nothing can live up to the hype it was given.

This game DESERVED EVERY BIT OF HYPE! It was groundbreaking...

#50 Jaxcomet

Jaxcomet

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:18 PM

Half Life 2.

Details?.......

#51 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:19 PM

Halo 2
Posted Image

#52 rockhero

rockhero

From Outer Space

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:22 PM

Halo 1 and 2.

#53 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:18 PM

Halo and Halo 2 are by far the most overrated games of all time. It is just another multiplayer FPS in the sea of FPS's - and on a console no less.

The second is the MGS series. Part 3 wasn't even a game it was a shaq-fuing cgi movie with 2 or 3 minutes of gameplay thrown in every so often. Nuff said.

pretty clear to me that you did not even play MGS3. There are almost no cinematics until the end once you start operation Snake Eater.

also I do think GTA 3 was way overrated. Basically the first two games in a different perspective. I will say I did enjoy Vice City a lot though and that game was well worth what it cost me (10 bucks)

Posted Image

#54 swetooth9

swetooth9

Go Tar Heels!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:34 PM

halo 2...even though its my most played game (on live) right now...it is the most overrated game ever...halo 2 was not 3 years worth of work...however its still good..just WAY too much hype, which it mostly lived up to but not all of it...which makes it overrated :P

#55 STATIC3D

STATIC3D

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:44 PM

Hmmm...good one.

It starts as a toss up between Halo 2 and DooM 3 for me. However, I have to give the final nod to DooM 3 as I saw a LOT more used copies of DooM 3 for sale at game stores (within a short time after the release) than I saw of Halo 2 within the same timeframe.

In either case, I think both games fell short in the gameplay dept compared to what the hype lead people to believe it was supposed/going to be like. Good/great graphics do not = gameplay.

Anywho, Honorable Mention goes to Half-Life 1 for me. The game was a juggernaught of hype for it's time. However, many of the things done in Half-Life were done in SiN first. Unfortunately, Activision pushed the title to store shelves too fast which left it a buggy release. Negative reviews hurt the title which was a GREAT game. Many titles since have "borrowed" elements that were first in SiN (which Half-Life often incorrectly gets credit for having first). :{
"To expect mercy from your enemies is to accept defeat!"

#56 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:18 PM

Thinking a game is overrated and hating it are two completely different concepts.

Also, if you honestly believe nobody else would've ever thought of "open-ended gameplay" if the creators of GTA didn't implement it in their games, you're full of shit.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#57 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:25 PM

Also, if you honestly believe nobody else would've ever thought of "open-ended gameplay" if the creators of GTA didn't implement it in their games, you're full of shit.

:applause:

#58 vanlandw

vanlandw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:28 PM

this topic is purely subjective....

#59 punqsux

punqsux

1K posts & all I got was this lousy rank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:31 PM

final fantasy 7
/nintendo fanboys

halo
/playstation fanboys

gta
/xbox fanboys

#60 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:04 AM

Thinking a game is overrated and hating it are two completely different concepts.

Stop being a stupid ass fanboy.

Fact. GTA is the only game on the console market with full open-ended gameplay, or the most open-ended gamplay that is not an online rpg.

Fact. Open-ended gameplay has been labeled by the Industry as not "market friendly" so developers stay away.

Fact. GTA didn't invent open-ended gameplay but it is the only major game out right now that uses it and promotes it. Why? look at fact #2

Fact. If it wasn't for GTA bringing open-ended gameplay into the mainstream, open-ended gameplay would be a long forgotten word.

And for the last part of your quote:
"Also, if you honestly believe nobody else would've ever thought of "open-ended gameplay" if the creators of GTA didn't implement it in their games, you're full of shit."

I would like to know where you pulled that out of? Oh, your ass cause I never said that. I don't care who implements open-ended gamplay. I'm am just happy that it is still alive. Your fanboy attitude and hatred of GTA shouldn't let you invent shit to accuse people of.

Gameplay is what makes a game worth playing - not story or graphics

MY SITE