Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

• Please log in to reply
1667 replies to this topic

#1291 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Haven't been drinking a whole lot of beer lately. Mixing it up with wine and mixed drinks. I had a stone sublimely self righteous the other day and a few founders breakfast stouts. A friend brought over some tallgrass brewing buffalo sweat stout and I had a couple - not bad for a regular stout but nothing special.

In other news, Hop City is opening a store here in bham. It will be their second store. Sounds like they are hoping to sell a lot of wine (in addition to beer.) Looking forward to it.

http://blog.al.com/b...to_open_in.html
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1292 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread but people in here might know the answer... anyone know of any good "beer of the month" and "wine of the month" clubs where you can get a monthly delivery or something? I need to get my sister and brother-in-law a Christmas gift and they are borderline alcoholics (kidding... sort of). They go on vacations for wine-tasting in CA and my brother-in-law is Irish (born and raised in Dublin) and he drinks beer like water. Any suggestions?

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1293 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Man, the already awesome beer store in my city has gotten even better. They now sell growlers and have 60 beers on tap and rotate stuff in and out. I'll definitely make my way over there more often now, hadn't been going there as often as I should have as it's a bit out of my way.

Pretty reasonable prices too. 64oz Growler is just $4.99 to buy and then you can get it refilled with no extra charge. The beers they have up currently ran from $7.99-$17.99 for a 640z fill. They also have a 32 oz growlerette, with fills costing half as much.

Edited by dmaul1114, 04 February 2012 - 11:33 PM.

#1294 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

64 oz growler for $5? Sold!

I've been sticking to local beers and German beers. Indiana (and the rest of the Midwest) is really stepping up to the plate with the selection and quality. As for German beers, I've been sticking to the Munich breweries. Hofbrau Dunkel, Hacker Pshorr, and Paulaner Salvator have been in steady rotation.

#1295 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Well, that's just for the growler which you get to keep and refill. I doesn't come with any beer for that price! :D As I noted of the 60 that they had on tap currently the prices ranged from $7.99 for one of the local brews to $17.99 for Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

I got Stone IPA this time--think it was $10.99 for the fill.

Also bought a bottle of Dogfish Head's Pearl Jam Twenty Faithful Ale. I heard it was just so-so, but being a huge PJ fan I wanted the bottle for a keepsake to go with the other PJ Twenty crap I have already.

Edited by dmaul1114, 05 February 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#1296 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Ah. That's still not a bad price. This Super Bowl sized hangover is still clearing.

#1297 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

As for German beers, I've been sticking to the Munich breweries. Hofbrau Dunkel, Hacker Pshorr, and Paulaner Salvator have been in steady rotation.

You should give Spaten Optimator a try.
End of line.

#1298 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

You should give Spaten Optimator a try.

Not bad at all but there's something about it that just doesn't click with me. Maybe too much malt.

#1299 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, I've never been huge on the Optimator myself.

I think it is probably the maltiness as I'm mainly into really hoppy beers.

#1300 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

Found I nice little bar in Hollywood Beach, Fl. that makes their own beer. They had a nice wheat beer and a great rice beer served in a 36 oz glass. I love it when places give me the option of a big mug. It nice because all the resturants here on the beach suck and serve shit beer, so it's nice to have something decent.

#1301 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

http://blackheartrum.com/

If you dig on spiced rum, this is the smoothest I've ever seen at the $14 per bottle price point. Goes great with soda but a bit on the strong side to hang out by itself. I don't really know many rum drinks so I can't comment on its mixability beyond that point.
Contact Friend Code - 1675-8841-8262
Tetris DS - 152435-004214
XBL - Nasum2

#1302 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Man, the already awesome beer store in my city has gotten even better. They now sell growlers and have 60 beers on tap and rotate stuff in and out. I'll definitely make my way over there more often now, hadn't been going there as often as I should have as it's a bit out of my way.

Pretty reasonable prices too. 64oz Growler is just $4.99 to buy and then you can get it refilled with no extra charge. The beers they have up currently ran from $7.99-$17.99 for a 640z fill. They also have a 32 oz growlerette, with fills costing half as much.

Hop City? Was in there a couple weekends ago (wife had work in atl) and got a growler of Highlands porter. (and a few other things - some Brooklyn Black, Founders Double Trouble and something else - I forget.) Great set up they have - I'm really looking forward to them opening up over here. I'm assuming they'll do something very similar here as draft to go has gotten very popular here.

Our legislative session has started and we are introducing the "Gourmet Bottle Beer" in hopes of lifting our arcane beer container size limitations. I think we have a pretty good chance of it passing.

In other news, we have Green Flash now - sweet! Also - hopslam on the shelves here today!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1303 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

http://blackheartrum.com/

If you dig on spiced rum, this is the smoothest I've ever seen at the $14 per bottle price point. Goes great with soda but a bit on the strong side to hang out by itself. I don't really know many rum drinks so I can't comment on its mixability beyond that point.

Looks suspiciously like Sailor Jerry!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1304 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

Resurrecting this thread!

I haven't had much new lately so haven't posted but I did have two new to me beers the last few days. Heavy Seas hop harvest ale - Porter. It was nice - it was a "porter" but was a dang hoppy one (I'd actually had a local porter that was very similar and very hoppy from a brewery here called Back Forty.) It was good but not great. Having a Green Flash palate wrecker right now and man is it great. It's a bit sweeter than their IPA and a bit more complex but also a higher abv at 9.6ish (something like that.) Very well balanced beer though - not overly hoppy in my opinion (despite the name.)

Also been drinking my fair share of Buffalo Trace bourbon lately so taking a break from beer sometimes. First time trying that brand and really enjoying it. Just drinking it with a little bit of water mixed in and sometimes an ice cube sometimes not.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1305 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

anyone try beer/WINE/RED BOW and fishes cardy

#1306 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Haven't sampled anything new for a while. There are so many favorites to choose from that variety isn't an issue. Recently picked up a pack of Dogfish Head's 90 minute and Bell's Amber Ale.

#1307 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Haven't been very adventurous with my beer. I'll pick up a nice bottle of St. Bernardus every now and then. Mainly been buying discount beer. 12pk of Killians for $10 and 12pk of Kirrin for $8 is usually what I get.

I did bring a buddy to my local Total Wine. He wanted to try a bunch of different things so I picked him out a few of my personal favorites (Rouge's Juniper Pale Ale, Old Rasputin, Spaten Oktoberfest, Belhaven, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Hobgoblin)

#1308 combatFlexo

combatFlexo

Who are those guys?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

I recently bought some of Bell's Oberon wheat summer Ale which was just recently released. I nice change of pace for the summer.

Dragonmead Microbrewery has some wonder beers. They have a Belgian Style Ale called Final Absolution Trippel (ABV 8.5%) which is nice and smooth, real easy to drink beer.
Another brew I had of theirs is Under the Kilt Wee Heavy (ABV 8.5%) a Scottish Style Ale, a much darker brew. Reminds me of a super light stout and a heavy IPA. I love IPA brews but still not a fan of stouts, but I found this one to be just right. Not as good as the Final Absolution.

I still want to go the brewery and get a growler, my new favorite thing to collect. I'm glad I finally start appreciating beers and step of from my all-time favorites of PBR, High-Life and Stroh's cannot go wrong with any of this dirty 30's.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TRAGINIS

Spoiler

Battlenet ID: Traginis#1577

#1309 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Just been old favorites and local micros for me lately.

Dales Pale Ale, Victory Hop Devil, Stone IPA, Sweetwater IPA, Sweet Water Exodus Porter etc.

And yep, it was Hop City I was talking about re: the growlers back in Feb, missed that reply. I love that place. Need to get another growler fill sometime soon.

#1310 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Had the Sierra Nevada Torpedo this past weekend. Really enjoyed it.

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#1311 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Had a great barleywine last night.

Cockeyed Cooper by Uinta Brewery in Salt Lake City. Was super pricey at the bar ($23 for a 750ml bottle), but was maybe the best barleywine I've had--and probably a lot cheaper if you can find it in a beer store.

It's aged in bourbon barrels so you get the whiskey/oak flavor, and lots of other flavors going on with some vanilla, chocolate and fruit in there. One of the more complex beers I've had as you tasted something different everytime, as it got warmer (which will happen as it's a sipping beer at 11.1%) etc.

#1312 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Had a great barleywine last night.

Cockeyed Cooper by Uinta Brewery in Salt Lake City. Was super pricey at the bar ($23 for a 750ml bottle), but was maybe the best barleywine I've had--and probably a lot cheaper if you can find it in a beer store.

It's aged in bourbon barrels so you get the whiskey/oak flavor, and lots of other flavors going on with some vanilla, chocolate and fruit in there. One of the more complex beers I've had as you tasted something different everytime, as it got warmer (which will happen as it's a sipping beer at 11.1%) etc.

Wow...that sounds awesome. Is it cabonated?

#1313 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, it was carbonated, but not overly so.

#1314 j-cart

j-cart

BOOM BOOM SHAKE SHAKE, NOW DROP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Dale's Pale Ale drinks more like an IPA than just a normal pale ale. I like it.

#1315 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, Dale's Pale Ale is great. That's one of my regulars since they have it at both the grocery stores I go to.

They have a Double Dale's out now too, but I haven't seen it around other than on tap in the growler section at Whole Foods. Should have went that way in the store first as they sell pints for $4 to drink while you shop/eat.

#1316 Steggy

Steggy

Shhhhhhhhh

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'd suggest their Two Hearted Ale.

Seconded. However, I would put Bells Oberon slightly above it.

#1317 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

Went to the Flat 12 tasting room in Indianapolis. Probably the best in the city. You can buy your growlers, bottles, and kegs but they also sell by the pint. The best part is that they don't limit your samples if you're buying a pint here and there. Beer is excellent and the overall atmosphere is top notch.

#1318 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

speaking of Dale's - looks like they'll be opening up a brewery/restaurant in NC near Asheville. That means more widespread OB for the east coast!

http://www.timescall...imited-run-beer

I was just up in Boone/Wilkesboro NC for Merlefest and picked up a few regional beers. Having a duck-rabbit RIS right now - real nice but maybe a bit overly carbonated. Picked up a 22 of Highland little hump spring ale - we have it here in AL but I never tried it and the 22 was cheap. I also had a Kona brewing pale ale yesterday. It was ok - nothing special. They just came into the state and my wife was making a mix-six of beer so I threw it in. Also picked up some Old Stock ale 2012. Will give it a try in a few days.

Oh and our "gourmet bottle bill" goes to the house tomorrow - if it goes up for vote/passes then it goes on to the guv to sign - crossing fingers. Our homebrew bill passed either senate or house (I forget) and will go up on the other soon.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1319 cheapfrag

cheapfrag

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

Has anyone tried Ithaca Beer Flower Power IPA? The guy at the store said it was very hoppy, maybe "too hoppy" so I bought a six pack. It had a citris flavor (like grapefruit) that I didn't like.

#1320 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Picked up some brews the other day.

Got a bottle of that Cockeyed Cooper barleywine I mentioned above--$12.99 at the beer store.

Hop Riot from JailHouse Brewing that I'm having currently. It's ok, but very bitter--first IPA/DIPA I've had in quite a while that I'd say is too bitter for my liking.

4 pack of Deviant Dale's (Oskar Blues DIPA).

2012 Stone Imperial Russian Stout--one of my favorites, so always look forward to it coming out in late spring.